iPhone head Mark Papermaster leaves Apple

Comments

• Reply 121 of 209
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

The solution is actually quite simple - don't touch an area that is 1/16th of an inch in the lower left corner of the phone. 1/16th!!!!! How hard is that?... + testing facility. Now grow up, and go troll somewhere else.

Doesn't matter how small the area is that causes connection drop; you hold it with your hand or fingers and they easily over that tiny area.

Also your post about the 100 million dollar cosig facility shows that Apples PR story was successful in convincing you. Well done Apple! I think the opposite: with an expensive facility like that they should not have come up with the current (flawed) antenna design.
  • Reply 122 of 209
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

LOL I am in the "third world" and early indications from those importing the iPhone 4 is that the death grip cannot be replicated here, at least in major cities and towns.

I think Bobo may have been referring to the good ole USA as a third world country in terms of it's mobile support infrastructure.
  • Reply 123 of 209
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

A solid argument is built around facts. In this thread, there are none...

True that. Here is an interesting take:

"In retrospect, today's news explains what should have been seen as a curious aspect of Apple's iPhone 4 press conference last month. The Q&A portion of the press conference was conducted by Apple CEO Steve Jobs, Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook, and Mansfield. Papermaster, whose division designed the iPhone 4, was to our knowledge not in attendance at the event.

In fact, even Apple's promotional video for the iPhone 4 released at the device's introduction in early June and featuring a number of Apple executives talking about it does not include Papermaster. Mansfield is, however, featured with the job title of Senior Vice President of Hardware, dropping the "Mac" qualifier that had been part of his official job at that time. According to The New York Times, Mansfield was involved in the design of several aspects of the iPhone 4, including its A4 chip and Retina display.

Papermaster's curious invisibility in all aspects of iPhone 4 publicity suggests that he may even have been on his way out even before the iPhone 4 was released, but whether his departure is due to iPhone antenna design issues that might have been discovered prior to its launch or to other factors is unknown."

There's still many who'll associate his departure to only antenna issue and take every opportunity to revive the dead horse though.
  • Reply 124 of 209
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pauldfullerton View Post

Wake up America! It is primarily an AT&T problem, not an Apple problem. You have crappy telecommunications infrastructure because you spend far too much money fighting wars in other countries and propping up Wall Street wankers (sorry, bankers).

Shortlisted for idiot post of the year.
  • Reply 125 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

Or maybe not enough wars... what natural resources are in your land?

PS. Inferior telecommunications infrastructure? Never mind the absurdity of this notion, but where do you think your country got the technology? I can't remember which country Alexander Graham Bell & Thomas Edison are from, but only a fool would try to argue that it hasn't been the dominant one in 'magic electronic waves' since the mid 1800's.

Alexander Graham Bell was Born in Scotland. Furthermore the technology used by almost every country in the world for mobile phones was created by a European group lead by Torleiv Maseng, a Norwegian born engineer.

So before you go all patriotic on us Europeans, check your facts.
  • Reply 126 of 209
    jahonenjahonen Posts: 364member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

PS. Inferior telecommunications infrastructure? Never mind the absurdity of this notion, but where do you think your country got the technology? I can't remember which country Alexander Graham Bell & Thomas Edison are from, but only a fool would try to argue that it hasn't been the dominant one in 'magic electronic waves' since the mid 1800's.

But if there has been a lack of development since, where does that place it now?

I guess since he was talking about iPhones, he was referring to mobile telecoms infrastructure. Most of which is actually invented (according to patent pools) outside the U.S. and are factually more developed (coverage, signal quality, available services etc.) outside the U.S.

To get a better formulated (if long) non-U.S. view on mobile telecoms, read: http://communities-dominate.blogs.co...th-police.html

And if you want to talk about radio waves, there was this Marconi guy who had a big impact. Now where was he from?

You talked about diagonals and being wary of taking simple statements when talking about wars. Doesn't the same apply to mobile telecoms?

Regs, Jarkko
  • Reply 127 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

HP has already struck out twice (Fiorina and Hurd).

I just read that Hurd doubled HP's stock since 2005. That's not exactly a bad CEO (Michael Dell perhaps?).

And apparently there is no real sex scandal. All he did was fudge the expense reports and the directors decided they didn't like it.

I'm not so sure that Hurd won't have a CEO position within a few months, possibly even faster than Papermaster.
  • Reply 128 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Is it just me or was it a dumb idea to hire a guy from IBM for anything much less to run your most profitable division? Didn't IBM fail miserably at making PCs? They did make a really decent laptop loved by geeks and they turn around and sell it to Lenovo.

Why would you work for Apple? A company who in the 90's had the Preforma. The Edsel of the computer industry.

A person should not be judged by his company. If that was the case then Steve Jobs would be a elitist person who hides from the media.
  • Reply 129 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sarges View Post

I'd have thought that the culprit was Jon Ive as VP for Industrial Design, has Papermaster made a scapegoat instead?

Most people around the world are reporting that iPhone 4 is even better than the 3GS at getting a signal, maintaining it, and having less dropped calls. This is less the case in the US.

So, if anything, Jonny Ive, if a culprit, was the culprit that designed a great phone, yet again.
  • Reply 130 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danielchow View Post

also ask any iphone 4 users living in the countries where iphone 4 was recently released. the consensus is that the antenna problem is with the carrier and not with the phone's antenna design. iphone 4 users in the other countries are not experiencing the antenna problems that users in the United States are experiencing. also, the infamous grip is not a natural way to hold any object?it's just to purposely trigger an undesired respond from a device.

anyway, i think Mr. Papermaster will end up with hp

Unbelievable totally wrong: As a righthanded person I nevertheless ususally hold my phone in my left hand, and the critical antenna area comes just into contact with the palm of my hand. To be honest and direct: It should not have been constructed that way!
  • Reply 131 of 209
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

Apple as a company let this product out the door. did they do no testing? they are all to blame for this fiasco. Jobs stamps everything doesn't he? oh right, he claims the successes, somebody else gets the failures....

Your assumption is based on an assumption.
  • Reply 132 of 209
    sargessarges Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

Most people around the world are reporting that iPhone 4 is even better than the 3GS at getting a signal, maintaining it, and having less dropped calls. This is less the case in the US.

So, if anything, Jonny Ive, if a culprit, was the culprit that designed a great phone, yet again.

in reality 'most people around the world' are having the same issues as you guys in America, over this side of the pond my iPhone 4's signal decreases immediately as I hold it in my hand. It loses connectivity in areas of poor coverage, something it never happened with my previous iPhone 3G or any other phones I owned before. I'm assuming that you do own an iPhone 4 and have travelled around the world, speaking of experience as it were, and not just rehearsing something you've read online.

so the question remains, who was ultimately responsible for the design? Ive or Papermaster?
  • Reply 133 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

LOL. First of all, when is responding to a post considered "off topic"? You posted it, so it's fair game. Don't arbitrarily apply the "off topic card" to criticism of your post.

Here's what your "argument" boils down to: If A then B. B is true. Therefore A must be true. In this case, A = "there is a flaw" and B = "Apple would take these 5 actions". That's a logical fallacy. And it proves nothing.

Congratulations. I've given your unsound arguments more of my time & attention than it rightfully deserves. You should be honored that I took the time, just for you

an incorrect reading of what he is saying. we get that you took a freshman class in logic. you just never learned how to correctly apply what you learned. its a good baby-step attempt. stick with the schooling and you might figure it out in the long run.
  • Reply 134 of 209
    Apple fanboi delusions of grandeur.
  • Reply 135 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Good Fella View Post

Alexander Graham Bell was Born in Scotland. Furthermore the technology used by almost every country in the world for mobile phones was created by a European group lead by Torleiv Maseng, a Norwegian born engineer.

So before you go all patriotic on us Europeans, check your facts.

Facts, Schmacts.

As Stephen Colbert would say: "it FEELS like Alexander Graham Bell should have been born in America, so I'll believe he was. Otherwise he wouldn't be on the $10 bill!"

UPDATE: Just submitted to wikipedia:

Alexander Graham Bell- Born: July 4, 1776 in Dallas Texas.

American inventor of cell phone (and current CEO of AT&T)
  • Reply 136 of 209
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sarges View Post

I'd have thought that the culprit was Jon Ive as VP for Industrial Design, has Papermaster made a scapegoat instead?

I would tend to agree. If this was because of the problems with antenna, then Papermaster on the engineering side could only would within the constraints imposed on them by the industrial design side. There is no doubt that the ID of the antenna was birthed and championed by Ives. I suppose it is still Papermaster's failing if he was failed to implement the design functionally, but there is no escaping that if he was handcuffed to the design, his options were limited.

Ives would never be scapegoated for anything short of bringing down the company. He is Jobs' man more than anyone else in the company. More even that the guys Jobs brought from Next, Ives shares an almost identical design aesthetic and nature that demands perfection.
  • Reply 137 of 209
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:

LOL. First of all, when is responding to a post considered "off topic"? You posted it, so it's fair game. Don't arbitrarily apply the "off topic card" to criticism of your post.

Someone else used the off-topic card on me earlier, so I did not want to take chances.

Quote:

Here's what your "argument" boils down to: If A then B. B is true. Therefore A must be true. In this case, A = "there is a flaw" and B = "Apple would take these 5 actions". That's a logical fallacy. And it proves nothing.

I see you're making progress. Only I never said "A must be true". Now go to the wiki page about Occam's razor and you're almost done.

Quote:

Congratulations. I've given your unsound arguments more of my time & attention than it rightfully deserves. You should be honored that I took the time, just for you

Thank you for your time. I appreciate the effort. Let's hope that what you learned pays off, years from now.

Cheers.
  • Reply 138 of 209
    Quote:

Ah, the Internets, where facts and speculation blend into a syrupy mix called truthiness

If Papermaster did such a crappy job, why does my iPhone 4 work flawlessly?

Ditto to what you wrote.

For crying out loud, what iPhone 4 fiasco are they talking about. I haven't have a single problem with my iPhone 4.

Did the writer say the man was fired? He left Apple. Who cares?
  • Reply 139 of 209
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

I'm willing to bet he was fired since he was apparently heading the development of the iPhone antenna.

The iP4 Antenna System gives the best reception of any phone on the market. Why would he leave over that?
  • Reply 140 of 209
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

Or, as some have said, is this STILL overblown and the antenna works as well or better than many of the other top smartphones, and Papermaster's firing has nothing to do with me having a great phone when I get it in a couple of months?

$$$

He may have quit, disloyally leaving Apple, just the way he screwed IBM a couple of years ago. He is no longer one of us I fear.

The most likely thing is that he is throwing his friends at Apple under the bus, having been lured by HP's money money money.