Another rumor pegs Verizon iPhone 4 for January 2011 release

Comments

• Reply 21 of 152
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Foxconn starts construction any day now on a second iDevice plant. So I suppose they can be fully operational by December given the massive amount of person power they can quickly put to work in China. Awesome people management skills there.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Construction starts on Auguat 20th and expected be fully operational within a year. Perhaps in time for the iPhone 5 production.

I stand corrected.

In any event, I sure as heck wouldn't want a CDMA nor a Verizon iPhone. Hope it's not a nightmare for Apple. Wonder how a CDMA iPhone will be able to perform internationally? New hybrid design with sleeping GSM on board?

Smells like trouble to me, but then we are still only in the perpetual rumor zone on this subject. I trust Apple to have an effective plan that will make the seemingly impossible work well. I just doubt Verizon's ability to perform their Role the Apple Way as AT&T has done so well these past 3 years.

For me, Verizon's willingness to actively try to end Net Neutrality with Google puts them on my s##t list of companies I would never do business with and which should be boycotted by all sentient beings. AT&T is a superior service provider that deserves our loyalty as the charter US iPhone carrier who followed Steve after Verizon told him to shove it. Why should we forgive them for that? I say NEVER FORGIVE VERIZON for thumbing their noses at Steve 4 years ago.

They do not believe in, nor will ever be, the Apple Way.
  • Reply 22 of 152
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    If it happens... It Happens.

Personally, I have no interest whatsoever in something with a 3.5inch screen (regardless of pixel density), and no longer even buy iPhone/iPod Touch apps, only apps specifically created for my iPad.

I'm sure that there are many who will be trilled as the prospect of having the iPhone on a much more reliable network (for now that is), but I'm not one of them, and will continue to support Verizon's Android-Powered smartphone lineup exclusively.
  • Reply 23 of 152
    Simultaneous Voice & Data? Carry Over Minutes?

Those are the first 2 Qs that come to mind when the topic of iPhone on Verizon comes up.

No Simultaneous Voice & Data = castrated, limited iPhone!

No Carry Over Minutes = stolen money, rip off, a trap for overtime fees
    !

Other Qs:

CDMS only, or Dual CDMA-GSM Chip? Ideally Triple Chip, with the addition of LTE... But then, we are still in 2010, so it's probably way too soon for Dual, never mind Triple Chip!

Plan Prices?, Data Limits? are among other Qs...

Another trade off - supposedly a more stable, but slower, and not as tested Verizon network! Now VZ will get to back up their network superiority claims! The "moment of truth" is finally coming, I guess!?

How would iPhone on VZ will be different from ATT during the International travel in terms of fees and all else?

Insurance for iPhone?

Otherwise, this rumor is very annoying, until it is no longer a rumor, but a reality! It can't be confirmed now, because ATT could lose sales with people waiting for Verizon iPhone...
  • Reply 24 of 152
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Here's a thought?

Could Apple successfully release a CDMA iPhone without a Verizon deal?

Let' look at the US potential for a CDMA iPhone:

image: http://web.me.com/dicklacara/Misc/US...ubscribers.png

If Apple signs up Sprint Nextel they would gain an immediate 48.2 million potential subscribers-- or an addition of 50% of their current potential with AT&T. If Apple signs up the second tier carriers, that's another 40 million potential subscribers.

Gene Munster estimates that US iPhone sales for this year will be "AT&T which we estimate will sell 15.8M units to its sub base of 82.5M." That equals 19% of the AT&T subscribes (for the whole year-- or [roughly] 5% of the subscriber base per quarter.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...t_verizon.html

Apple's world-wide sales last year skewed to the last quarter Oct-Dec-- about 35%.

image: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...uarter.svg.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IP...er_quarter.svg

Let's be conservative, and not take into account any buzz associated with the iPhone being available for the first time on these carriers. Also, let's ignore the second tier carriers and assume only Sprint Nextel's 48 million subscribers. Finally, lets assume that Apple announces availability of a CDMA iPhone on Sprint beginning Oct 1, 2010.

Assume Munster's [adjusted} percentage applies--5% per quarter of total subs. We'll ignore any skewing of 4th quarter holiday sales.

48 million Nextel subs x 5% penetration == 2.4 million CDMA iPhone 4s to Nextel in 4Q CY 2010.

Not too bad!

But the story doesn't end there. If you cherry pick some world-wide carriers, you get a lot more potential CDMA iPhone 4 subs.

image: http://web.me.com/dicklacara/Misc/Br...ubscribers.png

and

image: http://web.me.com/dicklacara/Misc/Ch...ubscribers.png

That's over 110 million additional potential CDMA iPhone 4 subs in just 2 world markets.

Finally, a CDMA iPhone 4 deal with Sprint would certainly end the AT&T exclusivity agreement.

That potentially opens up a deal with T-Moblle and its 33.6 million subs for a GSM iPhone 4.

Hmmmm.

All charts are from links at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...work_operators

Nice work, and i agree, while Verizon is the largest single carrier for CDMA it?s not the only choice. If Apple gets this new 200k per day iPhone factory going and they get ahead of demands without Verizon playing ball (likely) and Sprint willing to do whatever Apple wants (likely) to get the iPhone then we may a very different setup in the US.

Remember that Apple started off selling the original iPhone to the lesser carriers in each country. They could do this again with CDMA.

PS: It looks Brasil is foregoing CDMA/EV-DO in favour of GSM/UMTS technology.

PPS: I wouldn?t count any of the MNVOs in those lists. It?s hard to tell which ones are with Sprint and Verizon, expect for the ones with LTE planned are obviously leasing from Verizon.
  • Reply 25 of 152
    appdevappdev Posts: 61member
    Quote:

No, it?s not. There smallest carrier with only 65M subs is CDMA. There two largest MNOs account for about 12x as many subs are GSM-based with their largest carrier with over 550M subs using TD-SCDMA for their 3G. TD-SCDMA is not CDMA. It?s an alternative to W-CDMA, which the iPhone and Europe uses, and even uses the same UMTS air interface. It?s not CDMA!!!!

That's good to know. Thanks for clearing that up.

Still their 65 million along with sprint, verizon and some other CDMA carriers would make for a nice market.
  • Reply 26 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macologist View Post

Simultaneous Voice & Data? Carry Over Minutes?

Those are the first 2 Qs that come to mind when the topic of iPhone on Verizon comes up.

No Simultaneous Voice & Data = castrated, limited iPhone!

No Carry Over Minutes = stolen money, rip off, a trap for overtime fees
    !

Other Qs:

CDMS only, or Dual CDMA-GSM Chip? Ideally Triple Chip, with the addition of LTE... But then, we are still in 2010, so it's probably way too soon for Dual, never mind Triple Chip!

Plan Prices?, Data Limits? are among other Qs...

Another trade off - supposedly a more stable, but slower, and not as tested Verizon network! Now VZ will get to back up their network superiority claims! The "moment of truth" is finally coming, I guess!?

How would iPhone on VZ will be different from ATT during the International travel in terms of fees and all else?

Insurance for iPhone?

Otherwise, this rumor is very annoying, until it is no longer a rumor, but a reality! It can't be confirmed now, because ATT could lose sales with people waiting for Verizon iPhone...

Verizon has been working on a fix for the SV&D without having to implement EV-DO Rev. B. For all we know, this was ordained as a requirement for getting the iPhone, not that they need to bend to Apple?s will, but AT&T is coming awfully close to being the largest carrier in the US.

The iPhone aside, if AT&T can advertise itself as the largest and fastest carrier, and if they fix some of their inherent issues with the new spectrum usage the only remaining issue is coverage area which really is going to only affect a very small number of people so it might behoove Verizon to get the iPhone to stay ahead of the game.
  • Reply 27 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

If it happens... It Happens.

Personally, I have no interest whatsoever in something with a 3.5inch screen (regardless of pixel density), and no longer even buy iPhone/iPod Touch apps, only apps specifically created for my iPad.

I'm sure that there are many who will be trilled as the prospect of having the iPhone on a much more reliable network (for now that is), but I'm not one of them, and will continue to support Verizon's Android-Powered smartphone lineup exclusively.

I also would really like the screen to be larger, while still keeping the unit very pocketable. (Therefore, for me, iPad, has a quite different function and area of use.)

But one might hope that Apple will make an iPhone with a 4 inches display. It can easily be done roughly within the present footprint.
  • Reply 28 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppDev View Post

Still their 65 million along with sprint, verizon and some other CDMA carriers would make for a nice market.

Absolutely! I?ll stay with AT&T as I get coverage in my area, it?s the fastest, and I won?t go back to voice without data, but I?d love for there to be a CDMA/EV-DO iPhone.

I?d also like to see a GSM/TD-SCDMA iPhone for China Mobile?s 550M subs. They add about 5-6 million new subs each month.
  • Reply 29 of 152
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Couldn't care less. Verizon did me wrong in the past, and now I'm perfectly happy with AT&T.
  • Reply 30 of 152
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

From a production/quality control/logistics standpoint, it might be easier for Apple to wait until after the Christmas season. Esp. if they are also coming out with their white iPhone by that point.

They could announce in time for Xmas buying season and offer a phone gift card, with product delivery in January.
  • Reply 31 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mortenandersen View Post

But one might hope that Apple will make an iPhone with a 4 inches display. It can easily be done roughly within the present footprint.

I doubt it. Apple could have gone bigger with the iPhone 4 when they upped the resolution. They could have made the pixels a little less dense (likely cheaper) and altered the aspect ratio while still being well within the Retina Display? levels for a person with 20/20 vision.

On top of that, it would mean a lot more than simply having developers double the resolution of their images and recompile their apps, it would mean a very different setup, or buttons would be larger than they need to be. it would change everything in the UI.

I think it?s safe to say that a 3:2 3.5? display was set upon a long time ago and that is what will stay for the several years to come.
  • Reply 33 of 152
    Quote:

Nice work, and i agree, while Verizon is the largest single carrier for CDMA it?s not the only choice. If Apple gets this new 200k per day iPhone factory going and they get ahead of demands without Verizon playing ball (likely) and Sprint willing to do whatever Apple wants (likely) to get the iPhone then we may a very different setup in the US.

200 K per day... I like the sound of that! Kinda' like the sign on a car driving through France: "Brest or Bust!"

Quote:

Remember that Apple started off selling the original iPhone to the lesser carriers in each country. They could do this again with CDMA.

Yes! I had forgotten that! It gives Apple leverage and the carriers the incentive to [out]perform!

Quote:

PS: It looks Brasil is foregoing CDMA/EV-DO in favour of GSM/UMTS technology.

PPS: I wouldn?t count any of the MNVOs in those lists. It?s hard to tell which ones are with Sprint and Verizon, expect for the ones with LTE planned are obviously leasing from Verizon.

Exactly! Because less is known (by me) of those markets, I chose to display their subs but not base any sales projections on them.

I have been against an Apple CDMA phone, but in favor of a "Universal" phone that could run on all of the major carriers, world-wide.

But, until that is practical, I would like to see Apple address the CDMA market (I changed my mind). From what I read, CDMA will be replaced by LTE-- but that will take at least 4 years. During those 4 years, CDMA will be the fallback for existing CDMA carriers.

I don't think it is wise for Apple to exclude the CDMA market for the next 4 years (or longer).

• Reply 34 of 152
    Blackintosh is back. My ban has been lifted. Don't bother to get up.

Funny I was just saying this afternoon how it's been a while since we've had a Verizon rumor.
  • Reply 35 of 152
    Quote:

Absolutely! I?ll stay with AT&T as I get coverage in my area, it?s the fastest, and I won?t go back to voice without data, but I?d love for there to be a CDMA/EV-DO iPhone.

I?d also like to see a GSM/TD-SCDMA iPhone for China Mobile?s 550M subs. They add about 5-6 million new subs each month.

SOT!

Re AT&T coverage. I've never had a problem-- I live 60 miles East of San Francisco (notorious for poor reception). We have always had decent reception since the original iPhone. With the later iPhones, we couldn't always get 3G and it would often degrade to Edge. No dropped calls, but not the best web performance.

AT&T has been quietly improving 3G reception and fleshing out its network-- at least around here.

Thursday, evening I was at a long (2 1/2) hour soccer practice in the middle of a large park. Nothing much interesting was happening on the field.

I whipped out my trusty iPad 3G and had a good signal-- what the hell, let's see if I can get NetFlix.

Long story short-- I took about a minute to startup and cache the movie. Then, it worked flawlessly!

I was able to scrub way forward and back and it would resume play after 1 or 2 seconds. I switched to another movie with the same results. I could barely tell the difference between the 3G reception and the AT&T Uverse cable we have at home.

That's nice!

• Reply 36 of 152
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

I wish this rumour would die already. A Verizon iPhone - which, btw, wouldn't even have the option of a carrier unlock and would only be ever sold with Verizon, a large but limited market - has been set for a guaranteed at least a dozen times since release.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boer View Post

Somebody please explain to me what use would this CDMA iPhone be when the only place (?) with extensive CDMA networks is the USA? The previous iPhone models work everywhere as GSM networks are ubiqutous globally..

Absolutely wrong. CDMA is used by at least one of the Chinese networks and several other networks around the world. Nowhere near as many as GSM, but many millions of potential customers.

For example:

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/TECH/05/...ion_technology

"A Sprint CDMA phone should work in most of Central and South America and the Caribbean along with New Zealand, Indonesia, China and Taiwan, South Korea, India, Israel, Thailand, and a few U.S. territories."
  • Reply 37 of 152
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

From a production/quality control/logistics standpoint, it might be easier for Apple to wait until after the Christmas season. Esp. if they are also coming out with their white iPhone by that point.

Christmas production runs generally end in October or early November. December is an ideal time to switch product mix and ramp up for a January launch. You have excess production capacity available from your biggest quarter which should allow for a very fast ramp-up.
  • Reply 38 of 152
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Anyone know what Verizon are like in terms of selling into the corporate market? Most people I know who get their phones given to them by the big companies they work for are on AT&T, and the only people I know on Verizon have bought the phones themselves.

It's not exactly been a scientific study by me (!) but I wonder if anyone here knows whether Verizon go after the corporate market as hard as AT&T.
  • Reply 39 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

200 K per day... I like the sound of that! Kinda' like the sign on a car driving through France: "Brest or Bust!"

Construction starts on Auguat 20th and expected be fully operational within a year. Perhaps in time for the iPhone 5 production.
  • Reply 40 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Christmas production runs generally end in October or early November. December is an ideal time to switch product mix and ramp up for a January launch. You have excess production capacity available from your biggest quarter which should allow for a very fast ramp-up.

Exactly. (Although Apple's assembly lead time are perhaps a bit shorter, assuming components are available).