HERE IT IS!!!

Comments

• Reply 61 of 121
    [quote]Originally posted by MacAddict:

<strong>It's ugly as sin. Looks like something we've posted here...in fact, I bet we have posted something like that here. No doubt something like this would have been laughed off the boards if it was put in a mock-up thread...jeez. What is Ives thinking? Didn't you realize how popular thin, svelte designs are, as opposed to bloated curves?

And I was telling my Dad he should get a new iMac, as they won't be over $1500 for a top-end model even with a beautiful display and combo drive.

MacAddict will not buy a dell. If MacAddict feels the need for a new computer, he will build a $700 Duron system that will rival a $1700 PowerMac.</strong><hr></blockquote>

macaddict: 1799 is for SUPER DRIVE.

Combo drive is either 1299 or 1599. guaranteed.

It's not bloated curves. its' a perfect sphere. Ive is a smart man. It's tiny, too. That bottom is an 8" sphere.
  • Reply 62 of 121
    fishdocfishdoc Posts: 189member
    This is likely prices listed in Canadian dollars...they list the entry-level iMac as 1299, which would be roughly $800 US, which makes sense, yes? After all, it IS Timecanada.

Fish
  • Reply 62 of 121
    Bet you won't see many copies of time in waiting rooms at Apple ...or prerelease interviews with them either.

One thing that has me scared. the Time interview didn't breathe even a passing reference to anything except the iMac and iPhoto (and pretty well said there is no iThingy on deck). Will there be no update to the PowerMac or iBook
  • Reply 64 of 121
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    After the Ginger leak, I just can't imagine that Apple didn't plan for this. Or maybe they did? Tonight's possible message: Beyond time and space.
  • Reply 65 of 121
    beerbeer Posts: 58member
    You'll notice the article says the iMac features a G4 processor just like Apple's professional line. So there's your official no G5 cinfirmation.

• Reply 66 of 121
    How cow, Time sucks.

Watching the keynote tomorrow is going to be boring now.

And before someone says it, yes I know, this is Future Hardware... (although I actually saw the story on Slashdot first). I'm sure we would all agree, we like the steady stream of "insider info" to bat around and have fun with, but this is just flat-out wrong because it totally deflates the surprise. There's no questions about the validity of the source and the article is quite detailed.

I really hate it for Steve and for Apple that this came out.
  • Reply 66 of 121
    Here's the actual quote

[quote]

...almost as simple on the new iMac, which features a fast G4 chip, just like Apple's top-of-the-line machines.

<hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 68 of 121
    FUC|&lt; AI!!!! This Ruins the fun of going to the keynote!! I am pissed!!! I am going to bed.
  • Reply 69 of 121
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    [quote]Originally posted by fishdoc:

<strong>This is likely prices listed in Canadian dollars...they list the entry-level iMac as 1299, which would be roughly $800 US, which makes sense, yes? After all, it IS Timecanada.

Fish</strong><hr></blockquote>

Look closely. The article is going to appear in

"TIME". Its US not Canadian.

But I think 1800 is great for a freakin superdrive!!!!!

I can't wait to find out the mhz.
  • Reply 70 of 121
    I am not totally convinced. I see no mention on the time.com site of time Canada, only time europe and asia. And who is in the photo with Steve? Although the domain name registration sure looks kosher:

Registrant:

Time Inc. New Media (TIMECANADA-DOM)

1271 Avenue of the Americas

New York, NY 10020

US

Domain Name: TIMECANADA.COM

Administrative Contact:

Domain Administration (PD288-ORG) [email protected]

Time Inc. Internet Technologies

212-522-9565

Fax- 212-522-9514

Technical Contact:

Domain Operations (PD287-ORG) [email protected]

Time Inc. Internet Technologies

212-522-9565

Fax- 212-522-9514

Billing Contact:

idNames, Accounting (IA90-ORG) [email protected]

idNames from Network Solutions, Inc

440 Benmar

Suite #3325

Houston, TX 77060

US

703-742-4777

Fax- - 281-447-1160

Record last updated on 20-Sep-2001.

Record expires on 15-Dec-2002.

Record created on 15-Dec-1998.

If its fake they will be sued by Time! If its real STeve has by now sent out his assassins to the Time HQ!
  • Reply 71 of 121
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    It's Jon Ives with Steve.
  • Reply 71 of 121
    [quote]Originally posted by Willoughby:

<strong>

Look closely. The article is going to appear in

"TIME". Its US not Canadian.

But I think 1800 is great for a freakin superdrive!!!!!

I can't wait to find out the mhz.</strong><hr></blockquote>

yer probably right, according to yahoo 1799cdn = 1,127.55us seems too low for all that and the box of cookies
  • Reply 71 of 121
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    MacAddict: get off the "I'm going to abandon Macs! Is anyone paying attention?" thing.
  • Reply 74 of 121
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by beer:

<strong>You'll notice the article says the iMac features a G4 processor just like Apple's professional line. So there's your official no G5 cinfirmation.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Apple's professional line have G4s, hello?

That's doesn't say shit about what's coming out tomorrow.
  • Reply 75 of 121
    There is most definitely a Time Canada. It is 95% the same as the US time with some canadian articles to get around canadian content laws. I am guessing the prices are US$ and this is the same article that will be in the regular time magazine.
  • Reply 76 of 121
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>

Apple's professional line have G4s, hello?

That's doesn't say shit about what's coming out tomorrow.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, but if they know about the imac, they could know about the pro line.
  • Reply 76 of 121
    I sincerely doubt those are Canadian prices, but if they are... :eek:

Now that iPhoto is set to be announced, how likely do you think it is that an iCam of some sort is in the pipeline?
  • Reply 78 of 121
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    Where did I say I would abandon Macs?

Check my signature.

[quote]macaddict: 1799 is for SUPER DRIVE.

Combo drive is either 1299 or 1599. guaranteed.

It's not bloated curves. its' a perfect sphere. Ive is a smart man. It's tiny, too. That bottom is an 8" sphere. <hr></blockquote>

For the specs they have, the pricing seems okay. Not great, but certainly adequate. I just think that instead of pricing them so high, they should skip the superdrive and use components to give it a $999/$1299/$1499 price or close. It's just too much for what Apple has always touted as a consumer machine.

Styling wise it's personal...I'm the minority here so I'm not gonna argue.

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: MacAddict ]</p>
  • Reply 78 of 121
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    yes, i agree... i almost wish i didn't know about the imac... because now i have to buy it. the wife won't understand. she, of course, will see fit to kill me. but I WILL BE BURIED WITH THAT DAMN MACHINE!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 78 of 121
    [quote]Have fun with XP. It's very cool, if you like cartoons.<hr></blockquote>

Ummm....OS X....Pot....Kettle....Black.