Another rumor pegs Verizon iPhone 4 for January 2011 release

Comments

• Reply 41 of 152
    jahonenjahonen Posts: 364member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

That's over 110 million additional potential CDMA iPhone 4 subs in just 2 world markets.

And how many of those 51M Vivo subs are not using CDMA since Vivo is also a GSM + UMTS operator?

Regs, Jakrko
  • Reply 42 of 152
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    I dimly recall, back when the original iPhone 2G was launched, that AT&T's exclusivity was rumored to be for less than 5 years. It was more like 2 to 4 years. Only later was this changed to 5 years. Here's an article from 2008 claiming that the original deal was only for 2 years after the iPhone 3G was released, until 2010: http://bit.ly/9jSbuS

And who knows how many times the contract has been renegotiated? There might be performance clauses that allow AT&T or Apple an "out" if the other party doesn't hold up its end of the bargain. And AT&T has done some things that may or may not have breached the contract with Apple. (No more unlimited data, etc.)

I was thinking that Apple would just sit back and rope-a-dope all the criticism until the real all-IP all-packet-switched 4G networks were rolled out, in 2012, before updating the iPhone hardware. But even then, Apple would still need backward compatibility to GSM and/or CDMA in fringe areas.

Also, Android is gaining too much market share at the moment. A CDMA iPhone on Verizon and Sprint, though only a short-term solution, would crush Android sales in certain market segments.
  • Reply 43 of 152
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Why?????

Because AT&T already knows

and they will have super deals to lock you out of switching

also AT&T upped the cancel cost

it's inevitable with android big growth

apple now wants to really grow this thing

it will counter google fast

get a combo CDMA lte

Also SJ asked FCC to NOT divulge details on it's website

for"competitive" reasons

my only interest is the competition helps push my plan cost DOWN

I love AT&T service in my area never a problem

also let's watch how AT&T and verizon upgrade their networks

over the next few months

verizon network will be strained by a gazillion iPhones

and AT&T wants to convince you to stay

COME ON DOWN (plan of course )
  • Reply 44 of 152
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Getting the iPhone would be the only reason I would switch to Verizon. IMO, their entire smartphone line-up is inferior. I'd rather have an iPhone on AT&T's crappy network, than have a crappy phone on Verizon's network. "But you can customize an Android."... LOL, awesome!
  • Reply 45 of 152
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    This is all hearsay except for AT&T discussing the impact of losing iPhone exclusivity. I don't think AT&T would even mention that until just before exclusivity actually does end. Merely bringing up the subject in an official statement could affect their sales and/or stock price. But they're forced to do it to avoid being sued by investors.
  • Reply 46 of 152
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Getting the iPhone would be the only reason I would switch to Verizon. IMO, their entire smartphone line-up is inferior. I'd rather have an iPhone on AT&T's crappy network, than have a crappy phone on Verizon's network. "But you can customize an Android."... LOL, awesome!

Proof positive that (for some) Ignorance Is Truly Bliss.
  • Reply 47 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

I wish this rumour would die already. A Verizon iPhone - which, btw, wouldn't even have the option of a carrier unlock and would only be ever sold with Verizon, a large but limited market - has been set for a guaranteed at least a dozen times since release.

My Friend, Not Really. Verizon has the largest subscriber base in the Untied States, Also the Largest 3g Data Network. CDMA is in 55 countries. India, China, Now Japan. Something that wouldn't be bad for Apple. The real news here is LTE/4g (5-15 mbs per second) being launched in Nov by Verizon, Vodaphone, China Unicomm. Verizon first LTE phones will start launching in fact In JAN. New technology/Launch obviously a much anticipated phone that many want on another network.

The Demand is already there. Market is far from limited.
  • Reply 48 of 152
    This will NEVER happen.

Verizon is moving away from it's antiquated, slow CDMA network.....LTE is the future. Apple will not manufacture a CDMA iPhone...ever. That means that Verizon won't get an iPhone until it's 4G-LTE footprint is big enough not to rely on CDMA as a backup. Verizon has said that this will not occur until 2013-2014.

If anyone is next, T-Mobile is. They use the same 4G technology. Sprint uses WiMax and are once again, clueless.
  • Reply 49 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jahonen View Post

And how many of those 51M Vivo subs are not using CDMA since Vivo is also a GSM + UMTS operator?

Regs, Jakrko

Don't know-- that's why I didn't use them in sales projections.

I was just trying to present the fact that there are CDMA carriers other than those in the US.

For example, Ukraine has 19 million users who are potentially CDMA.

• Reply 50 of 152
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Well at least AT&T can run ads talking about how you can use both data and voice at the same time. Not on CDMA, outside of SMS and voice.
  • Reply 51 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Proof positive that (for some) Ignorance Is Truly Bliss.

Show us your cool wallpaper...
  • Reply 52 of 152
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Lets focus on that Verizon sucks issue. As a former Verizon customer i must point out that the people working there stores have all the appeal of traveling snake oil salesmen. It didn't matter if you dropped into a local store front or one of their mall outlets, every service rep seemed to be cut from the same mold. That is enough to keep me off Verizon right there.

The issues with CDMA are real, there is little doubt that service is more limited worldwide. However there is an assumption that one can only have one or the other. Technology marches forward folks so a CDMA and LTE combo chip is very likely with the addition of GSM possible too. Just as Apple has gone from ARM 11 to Cortex A8 so to have radio chips been improving and adding capability. One doesn't need to assume that a Verizon phone would be CDMA only.

About the only way that i would go with Verizon is if they offered up a much better plan on an unlocked device that also supported GSM. The reality is one really needs GSM support if you travel extensively. Further you need an unlocked phone simoly to make travel inexpensive. So that is one way for Verizon to get me as a customer, unlock the phone and give me a phone that works worldwide.

Dave
  • Reply 53 of 152
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boer View Post

Somebody please explain to me what use would this CDMA iPhone be when the only place (?) with extensive CDMA networks is the USA? The previous iPhone models work everywhere as GSM networks are ubiqutous globally.

How would this new iPhone be branded? "The new iPhone USA. Because that is where it works.", or "The new iPhone 5. With more limited network coverage."

Or are everyone assuming that the next iPhone would support CDMA in addition to GSM and UMTS? Then it would make sense.

"iPhone Limited Edition"
  • Reply 54 of 152
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Show us your cool wallpaper...

Don?t knock the wallpaper. When your chosen platform doesn?t have an SDK or business model that allows for great mobile app development the best thing about your phone might be its animated wallpaper.
  • Reply 55 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Don't know-- that's why I didn't use them in sales projections.

I was just trying to present the fact that there are CDMA carriers other than those in the US.

For example, Ukraine has 19 million users who are potentially CDMA.

And many of those countries will be growing in cellphone users and smartphone users for the foreseeable future with no immediate plans to jump to 3GSM or LTE. Even Verizon, will likely have active CDMA use on their network for another decade if not more, well after they move voice to LTE over IP.
  • Reply 56 of 152
    ezduzitezduzit Posts: 158member
    nobody mentions korea. they are arguably the most technology advanced cell phone users in the world. they have a very large population and the country is wired for cdma. you don't hear a lot of complaints about their service.

hyundai and kia are starting to eat into honda and toyota. cdma can't be all bad.
  • Reply 57 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Don?t knock the wallpaper. When your chosen platform doesn?t have an SDK or business model that allows for great mobile app development the best thing about your phone might be its animated wallpaper.

Isn't it funny that pixel density and screen resolution are no longer important? I wonder why?
  • Reply 58 of 152
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    AT&T promotes several phones so I see no reason why Apple shouldn't have a CDMA capable phone ready and just get on with Verizon as a carrier. Apple should get on with T-Mobile first though.
  • Reply 59 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theobold View Post

My Friend, Not Really. Verizon has the largest subscriber base in the Untied States, Also the Largest 3g Data Network. CDMA is in 55 countries. India, China, Now Japan. Something that wouldn't be bad for Apple. The real news here is LTE/4g (5-15 mbs per second) being launched in Nov by Verizon, Vodaphone, China Unicomm. Verizon first LTE phones will start launching in fact In JAN. New technology/Launch obviously a much anticipated phone that many want on another network.

The Demand is already there. Market is far from limited.

Ah, but you are mixing things up here and being very misleading yourself.

Listing off countries that have *some* CDMA networks is not the same thing as listing off CDMA markets that Apple (or anyone) can exploit in a financially viable way. Japan may have some areas of CDMA but it's certainly not the standard by any means, nor is it close to the coverage of the GSM networks. I suspect half of your other examples are similar.

The majority of the world (by a huge margin), is GSM and all the countries that Apple sells in have established full-coverage GSM networks. All the countries that use CDMA also have carriers that use the more modern GSM technology and everyone is moving to LTE anyway.

Arguably, (almost certainly) the next iPhone will have LTE capabilities, there are already some semi-4G phones out there and all the LTE networks are going to be coming online, or accepting customers in the coming year. The next iPhone will likely be "iPhone 4G" and will be LTE that defaults down to GSM.

For that reason, there is absolutely no valid case to be made for producing a CDMA iPhone with one exception. If they want to give Android users a hard time and essentially stop the growth of Android sales in the USA dead in their tracks, they might release a CDMA phone to address that part of the market. Alternatively, they might produce an LTE/CDMA phone, just like the LTE/GSM phone they are working on now.

The so-called "Verizon iPhone" could also easily just be next year's LTE/GSM iPhone working on the LTE part of Verizon's network. It might not be a CDMA phone at all.
  • Reply 60 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post

nobody mentions korea. they are arguably the most technology advanced cell phone users in the world. they have a very large population and the country is wired for cdma. you don't hear a lot of complaints about their service.

hyundai and kia are starting to eat into honda and toyota. cdma can't be all bad.

Besides the talk that China has the most CDMA subs the talk that Korea is so advanced and uses CDMA has got to be the 2nd most oddball thing I hear on this topic. LG Telecom is the ONLY carrier in S. Korea that appears to be only using CDMA-based network, and they only have 8 to 10M subs. The two largest carriers, SK Telecom and KT account for about 25M and 15M subs, respectively, and they are listed as having CdmaOne for 2G and UMTS/HSPA for 3G.

As for being so advanced, we heard this about Japan, too. Yet the iPhone is the fastest selling and probably the best selling phone in S. Korea. From my PoV being able to get TV on your phone wasn’t a deal breaker to many S. Koreans.
    Quote:

According to KT, who has exclusive rights to sell the iPhone in South Korea, it was the fastest pace to break the 500,000 mark among local smartphone products, as it sold on average 4,000 devices a day since it first became available here in late November.

"Only seven countries worldwide saw more than 500,000 new iPhone users in less than a year," KT said in a statement.