Another rumor pegs Verizon iPhone 4 for January 2011 release

Comments

• Reply 61 of 152
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

If it happens... It Happens.

Personally, I have no interest whatsoever in something with a 3.5inch screen (regardless of pixel density), and no longer even buy iPhone/iPod Touch apps, only apps specifically created for my iPad.

I'm sure that there are many who will be trilled as the prospect of having the iPhone on a much more reliable network (for now that is), but I'm not one of them, and will continue to support Verizon's Android-Powered smartphone lineup exclusively.

Bully for you.
  • Reply 62 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Isn't it funny that pixel density and screen resolution are no longer important? I wonder why?

The average users is rather simple. They could care less about pixel density or screen resoluation on a 3.5 inch display. I doubt most users could even tell the difference between any of the top smartphones.

If a smartphone has social network apps, games and a cam about 90% of the smartphone users are happy.

True smartphone power users are like PC gamers they take up about 1-3% of the market.

The reality is 99% of the apps used on iOS are also available on Andriod. Which is why Android will continue to grow at a rapid pace.
  • Reply 63 of 152
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:

Show us your cool wallpaper...

Better Yet... How about you show everyone your (nonexistent) collection of Android-powered devices
  • Reply 64 of 152
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

The average users is rather simple. They could care less about pixel density or screen resoluation on a 3.5 inch display. I doubt most users could even tell the difference between any of the top smartphones.

If a smartphone has social network apps, games and a cam about 90% of the smartphone users are happy.

True smartphone power users are like PC gamers they take up about 1-3% of the market.

The reality is 99% of the apps used on iOS are also available on Andriod. Which is why Android will continue to grow at a rapid pace.

I see this differently. I see the iPhone was lagging behind in pixel density. While it was ahead of the curve, if ever so slightly in 2007 when it debuted, by the 2nd and 3rd iterations the 162ppi was pretty weak. The bar had moved and this was a definite weak point for the device.

With the iPhone 4, while display is great, not just from pixel density, but from the new manufacturing process with the other elements and the use of IPS panel and a brighter backlit. And even though it?s moved the bar quite a bit further ahead the newer smartphones coming to market have a decent enough display that make this less of a victory as it once was. It?s more of an ?it?s about time? feature, despite the display?s impressiveness.

Moving forward, now that we can feasibly exceed the pixels the average human eye can differentiate any dramatic advances won?t seem that impressive.

As for telling the difference. I was in an AT&T store the other day and noticed how awful the displays looked on those phones, including the 3GS. I don?t recall even noticing the pixels before but now I can?t help to see how jagged and poor the image really is. Some of the other smartphones looked better than the 3GS, but not nearly as great as the iPhone 4. Expectations slide right along with technology.
  • Reply 65 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Better Yet... How about you show everyone your (nonexistent) collection of Android-powered devices

Are you trying to make a point? If so, you're failing miserably.
  • Reply 66 of 152
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    If AT&T exclusivity does in fact end January 11, 2011, they are making some weird choices to encourage current customers to stay.

Starting with the data package pricing. No unlimited.

Next, not expanding 3G coverage throughout their networks three years later.

If it goes VZW, there will be a lot of people make the move regardless of where they stand on their contract. I guess we will also see the strain on VZW and if there is no strain, ouch for AT&T.
  • Reply 67 of 152
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

If AT&T exclusivity does in fact end January 11, 2011, they are making some weird choices to encourage current customers to stay.

Starting with the data package pricing. No unlimited.

Next, not expanding 3G coverage throughout their networks three years later.

If it goes VZW, there will be a lot of people make the move regardless of where they stand on their contract. I guess we will also see the strain on VZW and if there is no strain, ouch for AT&T.

They allowed all current users to maintain unlimited plans. The new plans actually make it considerably cheaper for most people. If they lose the fraction of a percent of users abusing the network and wreaking havoc on their towers (like me with 40GB per month usage via tethering) then I have to think that benefits their network which benefits their customers using that network.

Which carriers have plans that allow for unlimited data. I?ve looked for some with MiFI and Data Connect cards but they all seem to show a 5GB maximum for $60/month.

Note that AT&T also allowed customers who bought the 3GS last year to get the iPhone 4 without a penalty and before they fulfilled the contract. This could be a sign that the contract is ending within their year?s iPhone release as it locked all those iPhone users into 2 more years along with upping the ETF from $175 -$5x to $350-$10X where x equals the number of months completed.
  • Reply 68 of 152
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    The only reason I doubt this is that one of the main reasons Apple would go to the trouble of releasing a CDMA iPhone is to blunt the impact of Android. Releasing a Sprint iPhone only would do nothing to achieve this goal. I also think that Apple views a CDMA iPhone as a temporary holdover until LTE is rolled out. With Sprint going Wi-Max, I wonder if Apple would release a phone on that network at all.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Here's a thought?

Could Apple successfully release a CDMA iPhone without a Verizon deal?

Let' look at the US potential for a CDMA iPhone:

If Apple signs up Sprint Nextel they would gain an immediate 48.2 million potential subscribers-- or an addition of 50% of their current potential with AT&T. If Apple signs up the second tier carriers, that's another 40 million potential subscribers.

Gene Munster estimates that US iPhone sales for this year will be "AT&T which we estimate will sell 15.8M units to its sub base of 82.5M." That equals 19% of the AT&T subscribes (for the whole year-- or [roughly] 5% of the subscriber base per quarter.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...t_verizon.html

Apple's world-wide sales last year skewed to the last quarter Oct-Dec-- about 35%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IP...er_quarter.svg

Let's be conservative, and not take into account any buzz associated with the iPhone being available for the first time on these carriers. Also, let's ignore the second tier carriers and assume only Sprint Nextel's 48 million subscribers. Finally, lets assume that Apple announces availability of a CDMA iPhone on Sprint beginning Oct 1, 2010.

Assume Munster's [adjusted} percentage applies--5% per quarter of total subs. We'll ignore any skewing of 4th quarter holiday sales.

48 million Nextel subs x 5% penetration == 2.4 million CDMA iPhone 4s to Nextel in 4Q CY 2010.

Not too bad!

But the story doesn't end there. If you cherry pick some world-wide carriers, you get a lot more potential CDMA iPhone 4 subs.

and

That's over 110 million additional potential CDMA iPhone 4 subs in just 2 world markets.

Finally, a CDMA iPhone 4 deal with Sprint would certainly end the AT&T exclusivity agreement.

That potentially opens up a deal with T-Moblle and its 33.6 million subs for a GSM iPhone 4.

Hmmmm.

All charts are from links at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...work_operators

• Reply 69 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I see this differently. I see the iPhone was lagging behind in pixel density. While it was ahead of the curve, if ever so slightly in 2007 when it debuted, by the 2nd and 3rd iterations the 162ppi was pretty weak. The bar had moved and this was a definite weak point for the device.

With the iPhone 4, while display is great, not just from pixel density, but from the new manufacturing process with the other elements and the use of IPS panel and a brighter backlit. And even though it?s moved the bar quite a bit further ahead the newer smartphones coming to market have a decent enough display that make this less of a victory as it once was. It?s more of an ?it?s about time? feature, despite the display?s impressiveness.

Moving forward, now that we can feasibly exceed the pixels the average human eye can differentiate any dramatic advances won?t seem that impressive.

As for telling the difference. I was in an AT&T store the other day and noticed how awful the displays looked on those phones, including the 3GS. I don?t recall even noticing the pixels before but now I can?t help to see how jagged and poor the image really is. Some of the other smartphones looked better than the 3GS, but not nearly as great as the iPhone 4. Expectations slide right along with technology.

That really wasn't the point I was trying to make. I don't disagree that iOS is far better then Android and this is coming from someone that uses both. I also believe the screen on the iPhone is ahead of the curve.

What I am saying is for most that doesn't matter. We all look for certain things in certain products based on needs. Smartphones are more and more coming in the hands of very average users not power users like you and I.

With prices dropping teenagers more then ever have smartphones and all they care about is having facebook and a cam on their phone.

Same goes with computer systems. While you and I use a MBP there are many out there that can get away with an acer notebook for 500.00 and never have any need or care to have anything else.

Some people are hardcore when it comes to their HDTV when others are just fine with a 300.00 Dynex from Best Buy.

There is a large majority of iPhone owners that simply want an iPhone and don't even know why they want one...lol.

In any case you aren't going to get an arguement out of me that the iOS is a better OS. However I am not sure the iPhone hardware is truly the best so far. I think Apple has taken some major PR hits when it has come to the hardware and I am not still on the fence if they are deserved or not.
  • Reply 70 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

He is actually making a decent point about a problem that happens here alot. People making comments about products they don't use.

If someone is going to bash Android at least make sure you have used an Android phone for more then 10 mins.
  • Reply 71 of 152
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

I think he's saying that in order to know whether walking into the path of a tractor trailer is a bad idea or not, you must first do it yourself. Of course, you and I both know better.

At least, that's what they taught us about the iPhone 4 - you know, the device that they do not own.
  • Reply 72 of 152
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Not true. We have an Incredible and I find myself using my old iPhone a lot for apps I can't get on the Android store. Games, for example, are much better on iOS than Android. And even when there are two versions of the same app, the one on the iPhone is always better, at least in my experience.

Quote:

• Reply 73 of 152
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They allowed all current users to maintain unlimited plans. The new plans actually make it considerably cheaper for most people. If they lose the fraction of a percent of users abusing the network and wreaking havoc on their towers (like me with 40GB per month usage via tethering) then I have to think that benefits their network which benefits their customers using that network.

Which carriers have plans that allow for unlimited data. I?ve looked for some with MiFI and Data Connect cards but they all seem to show a 5GB maximum for $60/month.

Note that AT&T also allowed customers who bought the 3GS last year to get the iPhone 4 without a penalty and before they fulfilled the contract. This could be a sign that the contract is ending within their year?s iPhone release as it locked all those iPhone users into 2 more years along with upping the ETF from $175 -$5x to $350-$10X where x equals the number of months completed.

I understand. I think the unlimited plan should have stayed on the table and not be removed as an option for new signups or people that did not have it and decide they want it now.

I have purchased an iPhone on opening day each time. I appreciate their willingness to accommodate my desire to upgrade too much.

I am just pointing out that AT&T, with a network that has horrible coverage with or without 3G, should not take so many chances gambling if they know that they are losing the phone come January. If they do and VZW looks like a good move a month in, I'm gone and so is my company.

Has my coverage or user experience decreased because of people who gobble bandwidth? Not that I am aware of. There is nothing they can do to fix coverage short of adding towers and this is something they have really drug their feet on.
  • Reply 74 of 152
    Quote:

He is actually making a decent point about a problem that happens here alot. People making comments about products they don't use.

If someone is going to bash Android at least make sure you have used an Android phone for more then 10 mins.

Interesting. Shall we recall your comments about the iPad before it was released?

You people kill me.
  • Reply 75 of 152
    Quote:

Here you go, you got your wish:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

We have an Incredible and I find myself using my old iPhone a lot for apps I can't get on the Android store. Games, for example, are much better on iOS than Android. And even when there are two versions of the same app, the one on the iPhone is always better, at least in my experience.

• Reply 76 of 152
    john galtjohn galt Posts: 960member
    Adding Sprint to Verizon's wireless market share brings the potential CDMA market to 43% of the total US market. Not insignificant, considering AT&T has about 25% of the market.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

God I hate Verizon and CDMA.

Probably as much as I hate Sprint.
  • Reply 77 of 152
    Quote:

Here you go, you got your wish:

That wasn't the comment any of us were taking about
  • Reply 78 of 152
    Quote:

Interesting. Shall we recall your comments about the iPad before it was released?

You people kill me.

Yet I own an iPad and my view of it remain the same. For me its a toy.
  • Reply 79 of 152
    I'll wait for Apple or Verizon to say something.
  • Reply 80 of 152
    Quote:

Yet I own an iPad and my view of it remain the same. For me its a toy.

"If someone is going to bash Android at least make sure you have used an Android phone for more then 10 mins."

Yet you hadn't even put your hands on the device when you were running your mouth. Hypocrite.

And in this case, please tell me how long have I played with an Android phone. Otherwise, you're talking out of the side of your neck again.