iPhone head Mark Papermaster leaves Apple

15678911»

Comments

• Reply 201 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Because my well educated and knowledgeable ass would say that using a case fixes the detuning of the antenna issue, but doesn?t actually fix the phone itself

You're right. I misspoke. The bumper actually makes the flawed iPhone 4 design workable. Thanks for pointing out my mistake.
  • Reply 202 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Is it flawed, absolutely, but so is everything else ever created by man. It?s the nature of things.

And not to take you out of context - you love the phone. We got it. But that does nothing to speak to the many of us who have found it flawed and happy the bumper fixed it with its nanotube technology.

Haha... lol.
  • Reply 203 of 209
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Apparently the iPhone 4 was already being tested 2 years before it was released and obviously before Papermaster started working for Apple officially according to Mansfield during the press' tour at Apple's testing facility. Then another report said that Papermaster was responsible for the antenna and that he was indeed fired.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/08/07/papermaster-out/

Interesting if true...

I seriously doubt there is any reliable information on this story floating about. The real reason is probably only known by Papermaster, Jobs and Apple's head of Human Resources.
  • Reply 204 of 209
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

My first purchase from Apple:

Pfft that is nothing. You gotta show us a few MacbookPros, 2 iMacs, 3 iPhones and at least 4 Android devices like our friendly user DaHarder to prove to us you're smart, rational and non-biased...
  • Reply 205 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I seriously doubt there is any reliable information on this story floating about. The real reason is probably only known by Papermaster, Jobs and Apple's head of Human Resources.

Yup, them Human Resources person knows everything... Muah aha ha ha ha ha

• Reply 206 of 209
    jahonenjahonen Posts: 364member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

See above. Bose, unfortunately, was not savvy enough to apply for a patent.

Which enforces my original point. If you read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invention_of_radio, you'll notice that it's almost impossible to claim "radio" for anyone, it too is a collaborative effort which gradually built up to a working and usable radio.

The inventor(s) of radio (which seem to not have been American at all) has very little to do with modern mobile networks (forms the base though). Loads more innovation has to have been done to achieve the modern mobile networks. This (evidenced by patent pools) is not dominated by U.S. organizations (which was the original statement I and many others reacted to), rather it's been a global effort.

Regs, Jarkko
  • Reply 207 of 209
    More info...

"the WSJ says the following:

Mr. Papermaster had lost the confidence of Mr. Jobs months ago and hasn't been part of the decision-making process for some time, these people said. They added that Mr. Papermaster didn't appear to have the type of creative thinking expected at Apple and wasn't used to Apple's corporate culture, where even senior executives are expected to keep on top of the smallest details of their areas of responsibility and often have to handle many tasks directly, as opposed to delegating them.
    "

From http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/09/w...ago-jobs-acce/

Sounds about right. Honestly, that seems to make the most sense on how the iPhone 4 stuff seems to have gone not as smooth as Apple would have liked, with Papermaster nowhere to be seen on any of the videos or press conference or WWDC, and so on.
  • Reply 208 of 209
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Yep, let's speak it aloud, the top-secret Apple's prototypes were freely traded in bars all around Cupertino, CA, while that guy was holding his office.
  • Reply 209 of 209
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

"don't touch an area that is 1/16th of an inch in the lower left corner of the phone. 1/16th!!!!! How hard is that?"

It's not hard but that isn't the point. When one has to hold the phone a certain way, it's going backwards as far as engineering. And, yes, it sucks to have to always be aware of holding the phone a certain way, especially when one didn't have to do that before. Yes Apple could and should have done something like put a clearcoat on the metal to insulate skin touching, but they didn't.

It's kind of like buying a car but one can't put their hands on the steering wheel in a certain place, especially if it's supposed to be a well-engineered car. What if the car manufacturer says, "Sorry sir you can't put your hand on this area on the steering wheel. You have to put a plastic cover on it for that!".... Um, no.