Another rumor pegs Verizon iPhone 4 for January 2011 release

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 152
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

Foxconn starts construction any day now on a second iDevice plant. So I suppose they can be fully operational by December given the massive amount of person power they can quickly put to work in China. Awesome people management skills there.I stand corrected.

In any event, I sure as heck wouldn't want a CDMA nor a Verizon iPhone. Hope it's not a nightmare for Apple. Wonder how a CDMA iPhone will be able to perform internationally? New hybrid design with sleeping GSM on board?

Smells like trouble to me, but then we are still only in the perpetual rumor zone on this subject. I trust Apple to have an effective plan that will make the seemingly impossible work well. I just doubt Verizon's ability to perform their Role the Apple Way as AT&T has done so well these past 3 years.

For me, Verizon's willingness to actively try to end Net Neutrality with Google puts them on my s##t list of companies I would never do business with and which should be boycotted by all sentient beings. AT&T is a superior service provider that deserves our loyalty as the charter US iPhone carrier who followed Steve after Verizon told him to shove it. Why should we forgive them for that? I say NEVER FORGIVE VERIZON for thumbing their noses at Steve 4 years ago.

They do not believe in, nor will ever be, the Apple Way.

The iPhone is locked for AT&T, so here's how it performs internationally on GSM: poorly. You are still going to have to pay an arm and a leg for international calls. Most people don't buy a phone with the intention of going overseas. And if you're in business, you have a blackberry. You're better off just finding a wifi hotspot and using VOIP for 2 cents/minute. Also MANY CDMA PHONES HAVE A SIM SLOT NOT A BIG DEAL!

AT&T is a superior service provider that deserves our loyalty?? Are you shitting me? On what grounds does refusing to carry a cell phone make you evil? Thumbing your nose at the almighty Steve is an unforgivable act? This just in, maybe Verizon didn't think the iPhone would be that successful and maybe they didn't want to have a clogged up data network or maybe they didn't want to pay Apple $10/month/phone like AT&T did for the beginning of their deal!

Maybe Verizon didn't give a fark what Apple wanted because they are the market leader, and Apple IS NOT.

What the hell is the Apple Way, and why do you capitalize it?

UUUGUGHHH sorry to flame you but screw it it's the internet
  • Reply 142 of 152
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I believe that a UMTS phone (without 2G GSM) would work fine in Australia on Telstra, but Vodafone & Optus drop back to 2G quite often as they are using 2100Mhz for 3G (and Telecom NZ has no GSM at all). More to the point - AT&T drops back to 2G GSM. So GSM support is a must in the iPhone.

Nope.

There is no GSM network in South Korea. The iPhone's voice service runs exclusively on UTMS there, no GSM to fall back on. GSM is helpful in markets that have larger GSM networks than UTMS networks, but there is no technical requirement for GSM. The iPhone isn't unique this way. Most UTMS handsets are dual-mode GSM/UTMS devices simply due to network evolution.

Nice try though.
  • Reply 143 of 152
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Nope.

There is no GSM network in South Korea. The iPhone's voice service runs exclusively on UTMS there, no GSM to fall back on. GSM is helpful in markets that have larger GSM networks than UTMS networks, but there is no technical requirement for GSM. The iPhone isn't unique this way. Most UTMS handsets are dual-mode GSM/UTMS devices simply due to network evolution.

Nice try though.

Nope? Nice try? He clearly stated that a "UMTS phone (without 2G GSM) would work fine? and I don?t see any mention of S. Korea requiring GSM so I?m not sure where your objection is coming from.
  • Reply 144 of 152
    crift2012crift2012 Posts: 124member
    i couldnt wait for the white, so I got a black one. a friend will get the white one and swap it for me when it comes out...so can you just swap sim cards and everything is fine? or is there something else that needs to be done? of course I know to backup my data first..

anyone?
  • Reply 145 of 152
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crift2012 View Post

i couldnt wait for the white, so I got a black one. a friend will get the white one and swap it for me when it comes out...so can you just swap sim cards and everything is fine? or is there something else that needs to be done? of course I know to backup my data first..

anyone?

You're gonna have to call AT&T and give them your new IMEI number which can be found in Settings>General>About.
  • Reply 146 of 152
    If the iPhone goes to another carrier in the US it WILL BE ANNOUNCED BY STEVE HIMSELF AT AN APPLE KEYNOTE. No way he would let a wireless carrier announce it, especially at CES.

Second the likely scenario is that the VZW CEO at CES will be there to announce and show off the Android tablet for VZW. I would bet money that is what will be announced at CES in 2011. Any takers?

The iPhone has a much better chance at getting on with T-Mobile here in the states than it does with VZW. That combo makes sense tech wise and falls in line with what Apple has done at adding worldwide carriers (all GSM) supporting the same technology found in the iPhone.
  • Reply 147 of 152
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Proof positive that (for some) Ignorance Is Truly Bliss.

Android is shit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hill60/...7624311740988/

See my shitty Android toys.
  • Reply 148 of 152
    Yea well Verizon would do a better job then AT&T
  • Reply 149 of 152
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akhomerun View Post

The iPhone is locked for AT&T, so here's how it performs internationally on GSM: poorly. You are still going to have to pay an arm and a leg for international calls. Most people don't buy a phone with the intention of going overseas. And if you're in business, you have a blackberry. You're better off just finding a wifi hotspot and using VOIP for 2 cents/minute. Also MANY CDMA PHONES HAVE A SIM SLOT NOT A BIG DEAL!

AT&T is a superior service provider that deserves our loyalty?? Are you shitting me? On what grounds does refusing to carry a cell phone make you evil? Thumbing your nose at the almighty Steve is an unforgivable act? This just in, maybe Verizon didn't think the iPhone would be that successful and maybe they didn't want to have a clogged up data network or maybe they didn't want to pay Apple $10/month/phone like AT&T did for the beginning of their deal!

Maybe Verizon didn't give a fark what Apple wanted because they are the market leader, and Apple IS NOT.

What the hell is the Apple Way, and why do you capitalize it?

UUUGUGHHH sorry to flame you but screw it it's the internet

Some people think Apple is a religion. Jobs is the prophet. The iPhone and other products are the sacred clothing, books, rituals, etc. If the prophet is rejected that person/company is evil. I am sure Multimedia thinks Verizon and all their users will be doomed to spent an eternity in hell for their sins.
  • Reply 150 of 152
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Call me when Apple and Verizon have a joint press conference.

I wish they'd STFU about the gawddamnned Verizon iPhone already. Geez, it's like, like... Walt Mossberg sums it up nicely:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r7JTSSW7P0

• Reply 151 of 152
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Then again, all those rumored CDMA chips could be for a Verizon 3G iPad...

Maybe...

The latest leak for Verizon's roadmap states that it's looking at bringing in two tablets, but both are Android-powered. Is it possible that a Verizon iPad is in the works? Sure. But it seems unlikely.
  • Reply 152 of 152
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Android is shit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hill60/...7624311740988/

See my shitty Android toys.

... and from the (lack of) 'quality' of that pic - So's Your Camera