Papermaster's Apple exit a result of falling out with Steve Jobs

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Mark Papermaster's departure from Apple is said to be a result of "cultural incompatibility" and losing the trust of Chief Executive Steve Jobs, and not solely a result of the iPhone 4 "antennagate."

According to sources who spoke with The Wall Street Journal, Papermaster's departure came as a result of a "falling out" with Jobs. How much the iPhone 4 antenna controversy played a part in his exit was said to be "unclear," as those anonymous sources said the departure was chiefly a result of "cultural incompatibility."

"Mr. Papermaster had lost the confidence of Mr. Jobs months ago and hasn't been part of the decision-making process for some time, these people said," authors Yukari Iwatani Kane and Ian Sherr wrote. "They added that Mr. Papermaster didn't appear to have the type of creative thinking expected at Apple and wasn't used to Apple's corporate culture, where even senior executives are expected to keep on top of the smallest details of their areas of responsibility and often have to handle many tasks directly, as opposed to delegating them."

Apple revealed on Saturday that Papermaster, the head of its iPod and iPhone division, had departed the company. Apple recruited Papermaster away from IBM less than 2 years ago, and was not the iPhone maker's ideal pick for the position.

The report noted that Jobs, not Papermaster, decided to move forward with the development of a new iPhone with an external antenna despite allegedly knowing about the signal degradation caused by touching the external metal band. That conflicts with the official line from Apple, as the company has claimed that it only learned of the iPhone 4 antenna issue after the product was released.

Separately, John Gruber of Daring Fireball said he was told that Papermaster was viewed internally at Apple as "the guy responsible for the antenna." He also indicated that the signal loss issue when holding the phone was allegedly filed two years ago.

"This is not a problem they didn't catch, or caught too late," he wrote. "So, on one hand, clearly the fundamental antenna design predated Papermaster's time at the company. But on the other hand, there was plenty of time to find a solution to the problem."

In addition, the New York Times reported that Papermaster was pushed out after a number of hardware-related problems, "including some related to the iPod touch." That could be a reference to last year's iPod touch refresh, which was originally planned to include a camera. But that feature was scrapped due to bad parts with the obtained camera modules.

The Journal noted that Papermaster joined Apple when Jobs was on sick leave, and he joined at a time when executives had freedom to make decisions. It said that Papermaster "was likely ill-prepared" for the return of Jobs, who is known for taking a hands-on approach in his management style.

"Mr. Papermaster's departure shows how difficult it can be for an outsider to succeed at Apple," the report said. "While some of the company's top executives who came from other corporations have thrived?notably Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook, who was previously at Compaq Computer Corp., and retail chief Ron Johnson, who joined from Target Corp.?others haven't fared as well. For instance, Apple has gone through general counsels that it hired from IBM and Oracle Corp. since 2006."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    Maybe because he wears a suit to work that makes him "culturally incompatible" with Apple..
  • Reply 2 of 61
    This is potentially problematic for Tim Cook. It's the second major flub during his six months of leadership at Apple (the other being the ill-advised deal in China with the non-wifi phone that few people bought, millions of which probably just had to be trashed).

It also reinforces the market's belief that Apple is Jobs and Jobs, Apple. Given his (unfortunately) finite lease on life, the Jobs 'put' will now be back in a big way in Apple's share price. Hope Apple's Board is getting on board by putting in place a succession plan, and will plan to publicize it.
  • Reply 3 of 61
    eldernormeldernorm Posts: 232member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

This is potentially problematic for Tim Cook. It's the second major flub ...the other being the ill-advised deal in China with the non-wifi phone that few people bought, millions of which probably just had to be trashed).

Wow, you must have tons of money. Unlike the poor people in China. :-) If a phone works and does what you want it to when you bought it, it does not stop working when something better comes out.... however, you can sell it to your poorer cousin..... JAT.

Quote:

It also reinforces the market's belief that Apple is Jobs and Jobs, Apple. Given his (unfortunately) finite lease on life, the Jobs 'put' will now be back in a big way in Apple's share price. Hope Apple's Board is getting on board by putting in place a succession plan, and will plan to publicize it.

Again, with the wild guessing... I guess that makes Steve Ballmer .... no Bill Gates!!! While that is true, everyone brings different things to the table. Apple without Steve Jobs may not be as good, but if Steve lasts 5 more years..... Apple may be the biggest computer company in the US..... oh wait... I think it already is.... Maybe by then it will be bigger than Dell with respect to hardware.... oh wait.....

Just a thought on this monday morn.

en
  • Reply 4 of 61
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Apple's best long term succession plan would be to start cultivating more talent internally instead of hiring from outside.
  • Reply 5 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Mark Papermaster's departure from Apple is said to be a result of "cultural incompatibility" and losing the trust of Chief Executive Steve Jobs, and not solely a result of the iPhone 4 "antennagate."...

Funny how the article is based on the idea that Papermaster wasn't fired over the antenna and how Apple has gone out of it's way to leak that fact, but then by half-way down you're already recycling those rumours about how he *was* fired for the antenna. You even mix in a little controversy by equating knowledge of the fact that signals degrade when antennas are held, with Apple's knowledge of a "problem" with the antenna.

The only controversy here is manufactured by the author. The only rational way to read Gruber's quotes is also that Papermaster "didn't fit in." The only way this guy could possibly be connected to the antenna problem is simply by the fact that he knew about it.

Other than the basic facts at the beginning, this whole article is just wild speculation based on nothing at all IMO. It tries to argue the opposite argument to what it's sources are implying.
  • Reply 6 of 61
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

This is potentially problematic for Tim Cook. It's the second major flub during his six months of leadership at Apple (the other being the ill-advised deal in China with the non-wifi phone that few people bought, millions of which probably just had to be trashed).

When I was about 10 years old, I remember saying how I wished that Christmas would come earlier. To which my father simply said, "So you wish to die sooner?"

Hoping that Apple's Board would be planning Job's successor "given his (unfortunately) finite lease on life," is morbid to say the least. And "plan(s) to publicize it,' even more so.

I can't recall any company doing so. Or anybody of high moral grounds wishing such. Why should Apple be any different?

Do we really need to get into "the next CEO of Apple?"

Imagine coming home from work and finding your spouse and kids planning your funeral. What a great incentive to live.
  • Reply 7 of 61
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    Quote:

Separately, John Gruber of Daring Fireball said he was told that Papermaster was viewed internally at Apple as "the guy responsible for the antenna." He also indicated that the signal loss issue when holding the phone was allegedly filed two years ago.

"This is not a problem they didn't catch, or caught too late," he wrote. "So, on one hand, clearly the fundamental antenna design predated Papermaster's time at the company. But on the other hand, there was plenty of time to find a solution to the problem."

Gruber also notes (in the same post) that it's interesting that in the iPhone launch videos, Bob Mansfield -- Papermaster's peer from the Mac team -- talks about the Retina display. No sight of Papermaster at all. Now, why would Apple have done this before the whole antenna shit-storm kicked off? Maybe Papermaster hates the limelight, or maybe he'd already lost the faith and respect of Jobs.

Now, Papermaster may not be responsible for the antenna debacle, but as head of the mobile division, he's certainly accountable. Leaving aside the antenna, Papermaster has to be accountable for the mess made of the iPod Touch camera, and the delay upon delay for the white iPhone 4, I suspect he was already persona non grata at Apple.
  • Reply 8 of 61
    shawnbshawnb Posts: 155member
    I think "cultural incompatibility" is short for "made us look bad in public."
  • Reply 9 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

When I was about 10 years old, I remember saying how I wished that Christmas would come earlier. To which my father simply said, "So you wish to die sooner?"

Imagine coming home from work and finding your spouse and kids planning your funeral. What a great incentive to live.

Man, you have a morbid family.
  • Reply 10 of 61
    Quote:

Put another way, on the one hand (the right one) the iPhone works and on the other hand (the left one) it doesn't!!
  • Reply 11 of 61
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

I don't see any sign that Cook was responsible for either of those decisions. As for the phone, it was what Apple needed to do to get into China. If they hadn't done it, people would be whining about Apple's lack of sales in China.

Quote:

Hoping that Apple's Board would be planning Job's successor "given his (unfortunately) finite lease on life," is morbid to say the least. And "plan(s) to publicize it,' even more so.

I can't recall any company doing so. Or anybody of high moral grounds wishing such. Why should Apple be any different?

That is incorrect. MOST well-run companies have succession plans not just for their CEO, but for all key positions. It's not a matter of morbidity, but is needed to be able to provide stability and personnel development. In fact, I would argue that a large company WITHOUT a succession plan is failing to meet its obligations.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shawnb View Post

I think "cultural incompatibility" is short for "made us look bad in public."

More likely "don't hire an IBM guy for a key position at Apple". The cultures are just too different.

The opposite would also be true. Jobs or Cook could never run IBM successfully.
  • Reply 12 of 61
    Good call...

Originally Posted by oxygenhose

I'll bet you an iPhone, that he was just not a good fit for Apple's management team and as a manager required too much oversight from above for his division. Probably just too IBM/corporate to jive with the lean/mean team pushing constantly to keep product after product fresh. Probably a very, very intense job - great for the right person, terrible for the wrong one. When you send your armada out, your don't want the first mate and officers having to constantly bump heads with a captain of your flagship, just to get the damn thing outta port.
  • Reply 13 of 61
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:

...Apple's corporate culture, where even senior executives are expected to keep on top of the smallest details of their areas of responsibility and often have to handle many tasks directly, as opposed to delegating them."

Otherwise worded, even top officers are basically no more, than technical workers. Were we not technology enthusiasts specialized in Apple solutions, we would be LOAOROFL.

Quote:

Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook, who was previously at Compaq Computer Corp., and retail chief Ron Johnson, who joined from Target Corp.?others haven't fared as well. For instance, Apple has gone through general counsels that it hired from IBM and Oracle Corp. since 2006."

Oh, AFAIK, Tim is in prefect synergy with Apple's internal culture.
  • Reply 14 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Put another way, on the one hand (the right one) the iPhone works and on the other hand (the left one) it doesn't!!

While I disagree entirely, I have to say that was really quite funny.
  • Reply 15 of 61
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

More likely "don't hire an IBM guy for a key position at Apple". The cultures are just too different.

The opposite would also be true. Jobs or Cook could never run IBM successfully.

You do know that Tim Cook came from IBM right?
  • Reply 16 of 61
    Quote:

I don't at all mean to be morbid, not in the least. Apple is a quarter-trillion public company, and CEOs of entities like that live in a bubble. The job comes with certain expectations and responsibilities, not the least of which is having a succession plan in place. That's life. I am simply being realistic.

Everyone here knows that I have nothing but the most phenomenal respect and admiration for Jobs, and I hope he lives forever!
  • Reply 17 of 61
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That is incorrect. MOST well-run companies have succession plans not just for their CEO, but for all key positions. It's not a matter of morbidity, but is needed to be able to provide stability and personnel development. In fact, I would argue that a large company WITHOUT a succession plan is failing to meet its obligations.

Interesting.

Quote:
    • 67% of organizations do not currently have any formal succession planning process (Cutting Edge Information)

• 45% of the world's largest corporations have no meaningful approach in place for developing their CEO (Cutting Edge Information)

• Only 24% of organizations are confident in their ability to staff leadership positions during the next five years (Watson-Wyatt)

• Although most companies recognize the importance of succession planning in attracting and retaining excellent employees, few companies successfully establish a process for doing so (Best Practices, LLC)

http://www.insala.com/Articles/succe...ent-trends.asp

Planning in general on how a successor will be chosen is one thing. Planning because someone could die on the job is another. And there is no law or obligation under effect that requires a company to do so either due to morbidity or mortality concerns. The only thing a company is required by law to do is to fulfill its board member list as stipulated in their corporate charter.
  • Reply 18 of 61
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

LOL

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichyS View Post

Gruber also notes (in the same post) that it's interesting that in the iPhone launch videos, Bob Mansfield -- Papermaster's peer from the Mac team -- talks about the Retina display. No sight of Papermaster at all. Now, why would Apple have done this before the whole antenna shit-storm kicked off? Maybe Papermaster hates the limelight, or maybe he'd already lost the faith and respect of Jobs.

Now, Papermaster may not be responsible for the antenna debacle, but as head of the mobile division, he's certainly accountable. Leaving aside the antenna, Papermaster has to be accountable for the mess made of the iPod Touch camera, and the delay upon delay for the white iPhone 4, I suspect he was already persona non grata at Apple.

Yeah, Papermaster was nowhere to be seen even as "far back" as WWDC. Nothing in the videos. I mean, they sure ain't putting Bob Mansfield in the video for his looks, sorry to say...

The iPhone4 issues (the perception of it anyway) and the fubar situation with the white iPhone all shows a trail of something not quite clicking.

It could be the result of the Jobs-Papermaster conflict.

Or, it could be something totally else and this is all nonsensical speculation.
  • Reply 19 of 61
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Otherwise worded, even top officers are basically no more, than technical workers. Were we not technology enthusiasts specialized in Apple solutions, we would be LOAOROFL.

Oh, AFAIK, Tim is in prefect synergy with Apple's internal culture.

HOLY F*** I just Googled "LOAOROFL" as you have written it and your post just a few minutes earlier was already indexed!

Google KNOWS ALL

Google WATCHES ALL

HEIL GOOGLE!
  • Reply 20 of 61
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

HOLY F*** I just Googled "LOAOROFL" as you have written it and your post just a few minutes earlier was already indexed!

Google KNOWS ALL

Google WATCHES ALL

HEIL GOOGLE!

AI is quickly indexed. And they are often right on the first page of results.

People are much more used to single form LM[y]AOROFL.