Apple's new 12-core Mac Pro now available to order

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Unveiled last month but previously unavailable to purchase, Apple's new Mac Pro desktop with up to 12 processing cores is now available and ships in 7 to 10 business days.

The upgraded desktop is available in three standard options: a quad-core 2.8GHz Intel Xeon "Nehalem" processor with 3GB of RAM for $2,499; an 8-core machine with two 2.4GHz quad-core Intel Xeon "Westmere" processors and 6GB of RAM for $3,499; or a 12-core system with two 2.66GHz 6-core Intel Xeon "Westmere" processors and 6GB of RAM for $4,999. All of the available standard models ship in 7 to 10 business days.

Apple unveiled the machines in late July, but they were not yet available for customers to purchase. At the time the company said the hardware would simply be available in August, without providing a specific date.

With the latest Intel Xeon processors and up to 12 processing cores, the latest Mac Pros are up to 50 percent faster than their predecessors. They also exclusively come with ATI powered graphics, with the Radeon HD 5770 graphics processor with 1GB of memory standard, and an upgrade option for the even faster Radeon HD 5870 with 1GB of memory.

For the first time, Mac Pro customers have the option to order a 512GB SSD for the ultimate in reliability and lightning fast performance. With the ability to install up to four SSD drives in the system's internal drive bays, the new Mac Pro can provide ultra high-speed disk bandwidth and random disk performance, two times faster than the average performance of a standard disk drive.

Also announced in late July but still unavailable to purchase is the new 27-inch LED Cinema Display. The hardware, which sports a 2,560-by-1,440 pixel resolution and 60 percent more screen real estate than the previous 24-inch model, is set to ship in September for $999.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 67
    kiweekiwee Posts: 102member
    Ohh.. Not cheap. Not surprised.
  • Reply 2 of 67
    -nova--nova- Posts: 64member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiwee View Post

No kidding. I know it's got 12 processors... but $4,999? Ouch.
  • Reply 3 of 67
    jpcgjpcg Posts: 114member
    Quote:

Haven't some people calculated that it cost about the same as offerings from HP or Dell. I mean those Xeon chips alone are quite expensive...
  • Reply 4 of 67
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -Nova- View Post

Not everyone can afford a machine of that caliber. Mac Pro owners are a very exclusive club.
  • Reply 5 of 67
    Quote:

if you are a 'Pro' user buying this 'Pro' machine for production use then over the 3+ years productive use.... the initial cost is [largely] irrelevant.

if you are buying one of these machines then you are doing serious work for a particular skill that you have considerable experience in for which people are willing to pay commensurate sums of money for the services you and your Mac Pro can deliver.

if you are not a 'Pro' user and you want one ... well that's entirely up to you. There is nothing unfair about Apple's price.... They offer it a particular price and you the consumer are completely free to choose weather you consume that product.
  • Reply 6 of 67
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Wait... what? At that price Apple doesn't offer USB 3 out of the box to upload 3 pictures taken at spring-break camp?!?!

Rip-off.
  • Reply 7 of 67
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    The 4-Core model starts from $2,499 (2.8GHz), the 8-Core from $3,499 (2.4GHz) and 12-Core from $4,999 (2.66GHz).

A single-CPU 6-Core model will set you back at least $3,699. Yup, it's a little more than the dual-CPU, 8-Core-total model. However this single-CPU, 6-Core runs at a perky 3.33GHz.

A 12-Core, 24-Thread 2.93GHz Mac Pro with 16GB of RAM and 2TB (4 512GB drives) of SSD storage will set you back $12,599. Oh, and that includes the ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB.

Just a few thoughts I was playing with.
  • Reply 8 of 67
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Hey I paid that much for Mac II fx.
  • Reply 9 of 67
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Wait... what? At that price Apple doesn't offer USB 3 out of the box to upload 3 pictures taken at spring-break camp?!?!

Rip-off.

This isn't a machine for people who want to upload three pics taken at spring-break camp. USB 3 is irrelevant to high power users who want eSATA or fibre network connection. If you want to expand, expand, but if you're relying on USB connection speeds for a machine of this spec, you're doing something wrong. For those who use one of these professionally, 80 - 100 for a USB-3 expansion isn't an issue.
  • Reply 10 of 67
    This! ^^

P.S. Sure, there's still complete ignorance of what are hardware prices nowadays; still good starting point.
  • Reply 11 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by orange whip View Post

if you are a 'Pro' user buying this 'Pro' machine for production use then over the 3+ years productive use.... the initial cost is [largely] irrelevant.

if you are buying one of these machines then you are doing serious work for a particular skill that you have considerable experience in for which people are willing to pay commensurate sums of money for the services you and your Mac Pro can deliver.

if you are not a 'Pro' user and you want one ... well that's entirely up to you. There is nothing unfair about Apple's price.... They offer it a particular price and you the consumer are completely free to choose weather you consume that product.

No shit?

..But seriously, thanks for your pontification on the subject!
  • Reply 12 of 67
    huntsonhuntson Posts: 90member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

This isn't a machine for people who want to upload three pics taken at spring-break camp. USB 3 is irrelevant to high power users who want eSATA or fibre network connection. If you want to expand, expand, but if you're relying on USB connection speeds for a machine of this spec, you're doing something wrong. For those who use one of these professionally, 80 - 100 for a USB-3 expansion isn't an issue.

As a pro user, I need eSata built in along with fibre options. As a pro user getting all sorts of data from everywhere, I need USB 3 built in. As a pro user, i am not making a lot of money and this is expensive.
  • Reply 13 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntson View Post

As a pro user, I need eSata built in along with fibre options. As a pro user getting all sorts of data from everywhere, I need USB 3 built in. As a pro user, i am not making a lot of money and this is expensive.

As a pro user I need 10gb ethernet and two firewire busses for the current price.
  • Reply 14 of 67
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

The 4-Core model starts from $2,499 (2.8GHz), the 8-Core from $3,499 (2.4GHz) and 12-Core from $4,999 (2.66GHz).

A single-CPU 6-Core model will set you back at least $3,699. Yup, it's a little more than the dual-CPU, 8-Core-total model. However this single-CPU, 6-Core runs at a perky 3.33GHz.

A 12-Core, 24-Thread 2.93GHz Mac Pro with 16GB of RAM and 2TB (4 512GB drives) of SSD storage will set you back $12,599. Oh, and that includes the ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB.

Just a few thoughts I was playing with.

Yeah just playing around w/the store, an upgraded CPU, maxed RAM, dual 5770s and a SSD+3 2TB drives, you're looking at $12149 after Applecare. Definitely not on my shopping agenda, but interesting.

Also, since people seem to be comparing the new Mac with comparable Dell systems, I decided to mess around on their site some too. Except where noted below, the system was roughly the same specs as the Mac. Add in the difference for the SSD drive and the significantly better video card options and the Mac is still cheaper than the Dell, even when pimped out.

Dell Poweredge T610

Unable to select 500GB SSD drives, so 4 2TB drives included

Windows Server 2008SP2 x64 as OS

Video is an integrated Matrox 200, no videocard options.

$10926
  • Reply 15 of 67
    Quote:

I need USB 3 built in.

Quote:

As a pro user I need ... two firewire busses

Stop trolling. You don't need any of above. You better let you employer give you a good tool for your work.
  • Reply 16 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Stop trolling. You don't need any of above. You better let you employer give you a good tool for your work.

You obviously underestimate the importance and practical usage of these features.
  • Reply 17 of 67
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

An HP Z600 12 core workstation costs 10% more.

Quote:

You can use cards in the card slots to do the same, can't you? Or are you using the slots? I didn't notice competing workstations offering USB 3, not sure about eSATA.

It seems odd that you can get a configuration with the touchpad and a mouse, but not just the touchpad. I'd be happy to use both, but I have to imagine that there are going to be a lot of people that would just use the touchpad and the magic mouse gathers dust.
  • Reply 18 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by orange whip View Post

And that is exactly why we just ordered three, about 7K for each configuration, they will pay for themselves in 9 months.

We upgrade every two years. We'll get three well configured machines taken out of service, with a year or so left on their AppleCare.
  • Reply 19 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

An HP Z600 12 core workstation costs 10% more.

You can use cards in the card slots to do the same, can't you? Or are you using the slots? I didn't notice competing workstations offering USB 3, not sure about eSATA.

USB 3.0 still not supported on macs
  • Reply 20 of 67
    Quote:

USB 3.0 still not supported on macs

USB3=standard on many PCs today - how about apple being on the cutting edge for once. Their iphone should not take all of the creative talent out of their other machines.