CDMA iPhone, AMD-powered Apple TV with iOS, 7-inch iPad rumored

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Overseas component suppliers have started rumors of a number of new products coming from Apple in the next year, including a new Apple TV running iOS and powered by AMD Fusion, a 7-inch iPad, a CDMA iPhone, and a new 9.7-inch iPad with a Cortex-A9 processor and 512MB of RAM in 2011.

Taiwanese industry publication DigiTimes on Monday reported a lengthy list of potential future hardware from Apple. It made mention of a Verizon-compatible CDMA iPhone expected to start production in December, piggybacking on rumors that resurfaced over the weekend, claiming the iPhone 4 will debut on the Verizon network in the U.S. in January 2011.

"Pegatron is expected to start mass production in December and will supply to both US-based Verizon Wireless and China-based China Telecom," the report said. "The CDMA iPhone's back plate will be forged from metal materials and will feature an integrated antenna."

Sources also indicated to the publication that Apple will upgrade its 9.7-inch iPad to an ARM Cortex-A9-based processor, and also add 512MB of RAM in the first quarter of 2011. The current model has 256MB or RAM and a custom A4 processor based on the Cortex-A8 design.

The report also rekindled rumors of a smaller iPad with a 7-inch screen. The report claimed that the hardware will also sport a Cortex-A9-based processor, and like the 9.7-inch model, will have an LCD panel with in-plane switching technology and a resolution of 1,024-by-768 pixels.

Finally, the report also claimed that the Cupertino, Calif., company is working on a new Apple TV powered by AMD's Fusion package, dubbed an "accelerated processing unit," or APU. AMD's yet-to-be-released hybrid processor combines the CPU and GPU functions into one package. The ARM-based chips found in Apple's iPhone and iPad already accomplish similar functions with low power consumption.

AMD touts that its forthcoming Fusion product will offer strong HD, 3D and data-intensive performance on the single-die processor. "APUs combine high-performance serial and parallel processing cores with other special-purpose hardware accelerators, enabling breakthroughs in visual computing, security, performance-per-watt and device form factor," the company said.

DigiTimes claimed that the new Apple TV will "adopt a user interface similar to the iPhone with support for social networking websites, network multimedia and the App Store. Mass production of the device will start in December."

Aside from the inclusion of an AMD processor, the rumors largely reiterate what was stated in May by Engadget. That report indicated that Apple would release a new product that would offer 1080P cloud-based content streaming for just $99. However, it indicated that the device would run on a custom-built A4 processor, just like the iPad and iPhone 4.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 207
    I don't understand the need for a smaller iPad...
  • Reply 2 of 207
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    How exactly would iOS work on apple TV? It's a completely different category of device to iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad.
  • Reply 3 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GaspinRasputin View Post

lighter, easier to hold and read books.

If it's cheaper its something I would buy.
  • Reply 4 of 207
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:

Neither do I, 9.7 inches feels perfect for a tablet and anyone who needs a pocketable device should get an iPod Touch or iPhone.
  • Reply 5 of 207
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The report also rekindled rumors of a smaller iPad with a 7-inch screen. The report claimed that the hardware will also sport a Cortex-A9-based processor, and like the 9.7-inch model, will have an LCD panel with in-plane switching technology and a resolution of 1,024-by-768 pixels.

Finally, the report also claimed that the Cupertino, Calif., company is working on a new Apple TV powered by AMD's Fusion package, dubbed an "accelerated processing unit," or APU.

Wow. A shame my Samsung TV is to new (and to good) to replace. But in a few years...

Another useful addition would be a bigger iPad with a 14.6-inch screen (A4).
  • Reply 6 of 207
    exscapeexscape Posts: 27member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

How exactly would iOS work on apple TV? It's a completely different category of device to iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad.

My thought exactly. Not only UI wise (touch interface), but the underlying architecture (ARM vs x86) is all different too.
  • Reply 7 of 207
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:

Different needs for different people. Your individual usage case isn't the only valid one; you are not the center of the universe. If Apple feels there is a large enough market for a smaller iPad, it is likely they will pursue it.

Plus, the smaller iPad would likely be cheaper. It has been widely reported that price has been a big barrier to iPad adoption.
  • Reply 8 of 207
    socratessocrates Posts: 261member
    Of all of these, the 7" iPad seems the least probable.

I'm an iPhone/iPad developer, so I have some experience with what's involved in programming these things. One of the key differences between iPhone and say, Android is that iOS has no real provision for automatically supporting different screen sizes.

Porting from iPhone to iPad means redesigning your interface for a different screen size and aspect ratio. This isn't automatic - it requires a complete manual redesign of each screen. You'll notice that most iPad buttons aren't twice the size of iPhone ones - they aren't scaled up - they are still exactly the right size for your finger, they're just further apart. (I'm talking about native iPad apps, not upscaled iPhone apps and I'm referring to buttons on modals and tab bars not the keyboard).

Supporting the retina display is simpler because switching image sizes works automatically but that's only possible because the retina display is exactly double the resolution of the 3GS and the screen is the same size. If the screen were bigger or smaller or the pixels weren't an exact multiple of the 3GS then that would have to be done manually as well.

So consider this, if the iPad buttons are the correct size for your finger on a 10" iPad then what happens when you reduce the screen size? If you downscale everything then the buttons will be too small to touch accurately. If you keep them the same size then you break the layout. This can't be done automatically - developers will have to update their apps.

So maybe Apple will just expect developers to update their apps - it wouldn't be the first time. But it would seem a bit strange after launching the iPad only a few months ago to suddenly release an update that breaks half the existing apps. And if Apple knew this was coming you would think there'd be some hint in the developer documentation, like "don't design your apps for a fixed screen size" or "make sure the buttons in your iPad interfaces are a bit bigger than they need to be".
  • Reply 9 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

Wow. A shame my Samsung TV is to new (and to good) to replace. But in a few years...

Another useful addition would be a bigger iPad with a 14.6-inch screen (A4).

15"??? I think 10" is big enough
  • Reply 10 of 207
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

To give the trolls more to troll about.

Seriously, for some, size matters. And as women will admit, "Give us more choices." Unfortunately, the more choices one has, the longer it takes to make a decision.

I personally am pleased that Apple limits its offerings, because it helps ensure they will remain at the top of customer satisfaction surveys providing service and support for their innovations.

On the other hand, I have recently started to hope that Apple widens its scope and 'just takes over the world.' Life is short and at my stage in life, I am selfish enough to want to enjoy it, and to hell what others think.
  • Reply 11 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Different needs for different people. Your individual usage case isn't the only valid one; you are not the center of the universe. If Apple feels there is a large enough market for a smaller iPad, it is likely they will pursue it.

Plus, the smaller iPad would likely be cheaper. It has been widely reported that price has been a big barrier to iPad adoption.

Don't see it and yes I know I'm not the center of the universe. Smaller cheaper? iPod Touch comes to mind. Just doesn't seem like there's a whole lot gained or lost whichever is the case by a 7" model that isn't already met by the iPod Touch or the iPad at its current configuration.
  • Reply 12 of 207
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Or maybe Disney buys Verizon - right about the time the are almost done converting to LTE - just to finally put a rest to anyone ever expecting a CDMA iPhone. or not.
  • Reply 13 of 207
    I just don't see how the hell that would work in...
  • Reply 14 of 207
    Quote:

Agreed. Seems to me a larger Touch would make a lot more sense. Something along the lines of a 5" Touch. Still small enough to fit into a lot of pockets but a larger screen would allow it to be better suited to being used as a reader, display device, gaming platform, browser etc.

The 7" iPad would be less enjoyable to use than the current iPad and yet not offer any more portability. It would be easier to handle but at a heavy cost considering the loss of valuable screen real estate and you would not have the ability to slip it into a pocket ala the Touch.

Make the Touch a little larger, on the other hand, and many of the advantages of having a 7" iPad would be there (though not to the same degree) without losing the ability to pocket the device.

I can't imagine Apple going with both in that the price point of the 7" iPad and the larger Touch would be similar.

If you're not going to have a device that you can slip into your pocket, reducing screen real estate is pretty much pointless. You lose the enjoyment that comes from working with a generously sized screen with a marginal weight gain and modest price reduction to show for it. Not a worthwhile trade-off.
  • Reply 15 of 207
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Socrates View Post

I'm an iPhone/iPad developer, so I have some experience with what's involved in programming these things. One of the key differences between iPhone and say, Android is that iOS has no real provision for automatically supporting different screen sizes.

Porting from iPhone to iPad means redesigning your interface for a different screen size and aspect ratio. This isn't automatic - it requires a complete manual redesign of each screen. You'll notice that most iPad buttons aren't twice the size of iPhone ones - they aren't scaled up - they are still exactly the right size for your finger, they're just further apart. (I'm talking about native iPad apps, not upscaled iPhone apps and I'm referring to buttons on modals and tab bars not the keyboard).

Supporting the retina display is simpler because switching image sizes works automatically but that's only possible because the retina display is exactly double the resolution of the 3GS and the screen is the same size. If the screen were bigger or smaller or the pixels weren't an exact multiple of the 3GS then that would have to be done manually as well.

So consider this, if the iPad buttons are the correct size for your finger on a 10" iPad then what happens when you reduce the screen size? If you downscale everything then the buttons will be too small to touch accurately. If you keep them the same size then you break the layout. This can't be done automatically - developers will have to update their apps.

So maybe Apple will just expect developers to update their apps - it wouldn't be the first time. But it would seem a bit strange after launching the iPad only a few months ago to suddenly release an update that breaks half the existing apps. And if Apple knew this was coming you would think there'd be some hint in the developer documentation, like "don't design your apps for a fixed screen size" or "make sure the buttons in your iPad interfaces are a bit bigger than they need to be".

Which is why I think it' more likely a larger touch than a smaller iPad. There would be a few fewer issues with sizing up the interface than scaling it down (and making elements too small to interact with).
  • Reply 16 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crawdad62 View Post

Don't see it and yes I know I'm not the center of the universe. Smaller cheaper? iPod Touch comes to mind. Just doesn't seem like there's a whole lot gained or lost whichever is the case by a 7" model that isn't already met by the iPod Touch or the iPad at its current configuration.

If the Touch grows in size, then you've got it. Right now the Touch is fine for gaming and even OK to read on but browsing is torturous.

If you're talking a phone, fine. You don't want to be putting a larger device up to your ear. But the Touch is not a phone, hence not giving it more screen to make browsing much more enjoyable seems like an odd choice. All Apple would have to do is keep the same resolution as the Retina display in a device with let's say a 5" screen and you'd have an upgrade in resolution over the current Touch.

What would be the downside?
  • Reply 17 of 207
    jpc1957jpc1957 Posts: 12member
    AppleTV with iOS. That could be pretty amazing, if apple provides APIs to grab/overlay the video/audio stream and access to the tuner controls.
  • Reply 18 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Socrates View Post

Hpw would a Touch with the same resolution as the iPhone Retina display but a larger screen, work out. Would iPhone apps work on a Touch with that set-up without mods?
  • Reply 19 of 207
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crawdad62 View Post

Okay, I see that you have a problem with myopia as the answer is right there in front of your face.

There is a very large and established marketplace for a device with a screen size of 6-7 inches: the eReader market. Again, the cost reduction is spur many others to purchase.

If you've actually used the iPad and the iPod touch, the latter is not a replacement for the former. In the same way, a swimming pool and hot tub aren't equivalent.

Lastly, I will point out that iMacs, MacBooks and iPods all come in different sizes. No doubt, someone at Apple has noticed this. The fact that Apple debuted one iPad doesn't mean that it's the only valid size, but they needed to start somewhere.
  • Reply 20 of 207
    fabsgwufabsgwu Posts: 78member
    I really do hope they have a metal backplate (just *not* polished chrome, thank you), the glass backplate is completely unnecessary since the antenna is integrated on the band. The current design is overly delicate and expensive.