CDMA iPhone, AMD-powered Apple TV with iOS, 7-inch iPad rumored

Comments

• Reply 101 of 207
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

"on my lap"

Many people hold the iPad up, either with both hands for reading, like a book, or with one hand whilst using the other for touch control.

In that case, 1.5lbs over an extended duration can be tiring.

It's not about going to the gym, that's a ridiculous statement to make.

ANd that's a ridiculous argument. Most of the books I read weigh more than the iPad. Are you saying that books are impractical?

Besides, very few people are going to be holding the iPad at arms length. More often than not, it's on a table or on your lap.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

yes, Apple has priced themselves into a hole for sure. Unless the iPod Touch gets a huge price reduction in September, I don't see a 6"-7" iPad in the near future.

Not at all:

iPod touch

32 GB $299

64 GB $399

iPad

32 GB $599

64 GB $699

That's a fairly large gap to add a 7" iPad. I'm not saying that they're going to do it, but arguing that there's not a big enough gap in between for a new product is silly.
  • Reply 102 of 207
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

Yes the Kindle is doing well, especially and almost exclusively among women*. I almost never see Ipads on the train which I find both curious and telling. It appears that as an e-reader and when compared to the Kindle, the Ipad is just too heavy or bulky to hold, more so with a case, which is almost always present.

* Kindle adverts are also strongly marketed towards women, at least those on rotation in my area.

That being said, a 7" Ipad could pose a real threat to the Kindle and it's cousins and would likely be marketed as such.

see my quote...

Quote:

the kindle is doing well because it's about 1/3 the cost of the iPad and it's marketed properly to the right people. It's truly meant to only read books, listen to audio and very light internet/email. It's not a very good comparison.

by "the right people" meaning people who only want those things (reading books, audio books & music and very light email and internet).
  • Reply 103 of 207
    Quote:

i would tend to agree. The Touch was originally the alternative to the iPhone, for people who didn't want to buy into ATT. However, the Touch is so popular now that eliminating it entirely for say a 5" or 6" screen may be the answer. Iit probably would piss-off some people at first, but I think that's the best argument I've heard...and keep the same price-points as the current touch.

The key to me is to figure out how large you can go while still having a device that can be slipped into a pocket. If that means a 4.5" screen, rather than a 5", or if you can go 5.5" and still retain the ability to pocket the device, then it's mission accomplished.

The appeal of the Touch is that you can easily slip it into a pocket. But I can't imagine anyone objecting to more screen if that functionality remained intact. Nothing suffers from more screen and just about everything benefits. Even if there was still an element of compromise, i.e. the device wasn't quite large enough to be ideal for browsing, etc. (the iPad hits the sweet spot on that front), improvement without any significant loss of functionality is always welcome.

It might not seem like much to go from a 3.5" screen to maybe a 5" screen but I'll bet the user experience would be significantly enhanced.
  • Reply 104 of 207
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Amen, I say. The most often cited advantages of dedicated ebook readers over the iPad are weight, size, and cost. These few factors are keeping Kindle, Nook, et al in the game. All three factors are addressed by a 7" iPad. I see this move as a natural one for Apple in order to consolidate its dominance in the tablet market. While HP and Android play catch up with the original iPad, Apple changes the game a bit. Typical of Apple's recent strategy.

I don't think Apple has intended the iPad to be primarily an electronic book reader. For sure it does that and fairly well. But if that's the intent then it's overpriced by a considerable sum. Remember, Apple rarely emulates another product. Instead, it takes ideas from other products and attempts something new with it's own set of uses.
  • Reply 105 of 207
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Regarding the new Apple TV, I sure hope that current owners of the device can upgrade to the new OS. As it stands, we've been using a beta OS this entire time.

If this were to happen, I'm sure it'd be like the transition to iOS 4, in which earlier devices didn't support all features in the new OS. That's fine. I just hope they don't leave us completely out in the cold.
  • Reply 106 of 207
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

It was a joke. You highlight your stupidity and blinkered vision. Well done.

Whatever.

I don't like craning my neck by looking downwards at the iPad lying flat on a table - not for extended durations. Sure, I could lie on my back and have it resting against my legs, but that's not applicable all day! So I'll be wanting to hold it upright to read it comfortably, even if the base is resting on something solid. I also hold books at a comfortable angle when reading them, but they tend not to weigh 1.5 lbs.

And it also doesn't help people who are standing and reading, like anyone who stands on the bus or train on their daily commute because there aren't any seats available. This might not apply to your car-centric world, but that applies to vast numbers of people elsewhere (and you accuse me of blinkered vision!). That's the exact free time that people have to use a device like an iPad.

A 7" iPad would fill in that market space, and it whilst it might mean an iPod sale loss, it's not a loss to a Kindle or Nook or whatever competitor product is available.
  • Reply 107 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

I'm still saying Wiimote clone. Touch sucks when there is a disconnect between the device and the screen.

Bet taken

I think they will have something that looks a lot more like a Wiimote than a Magic Trackpad. Maybe they will blend them together somehow, but I think it will be distinctively more Wiimote than Trackpad.

I've had a PC of sorts connected to my TV for over a decade now and I've used every controller imaginable... and nothing even comes close to the Wiimote as an all-in-one controller

The MagicMouse? feels comfortable in either hand, is light-weight, is multi-touch, multi-button, and inexpensive!

Replace the laser with IR or WiFi and yu just might have something.

• Reply 108 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLikeBananas View Post

Why do you think the kindle is doing so well . a 6 inch would be better.

If you sell something for less than cost, you shouldn't be surprised that it 'does well.'

The only question is whether you will 'do well.'
  • Reply 109 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I'm happy for you that you have information that has heretofore not been available to the rest of the population. Amazon hides its Kindle sales figures from the public.

Estimates hold that the Kindle has sold around 4 million units in its lifetime... roughly the same number as the iPad has sold in the 6 months since it was brought to the market. It's also estimated that the iPad will sell at least 2 million more units this year (that's on the conservative side) and another 11-12 million units next year, almost triple the estimate (and I mean that literally) for 2011 Kindle sales.

Your anecdotal evidence aside... the iPad seems to be eating the Kindle's lunch.

Why the need for a 7" iPad when the current size seems to be doing so well.

I'm glad you're happy for me, I'm happy for me too-- but of course you took my response as some sort of personal attack which is typical among fanbois. Sigh. Yes, I'm aware of the stats. I stated AS AN E-READER. As a niche E-READER, the Kindle is doing well. The proof, as I stated in my anecdote, is real world evidence despite the numbers. I see on a daily basis far more Kindles than Ipads being used as E-READERS. E-READERS. Hence, the possibility of a new, lighter, more sleek, easier to hold 7" iPAD. nO?

*cough* E-READER *cough*
  • Reply 110 of 207
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

The MagicMouse™ feels comfortable in either hand, is light-weight, is multi-touch, multi-button, and inexpensive!

Replace the laser with IR or WiFi and yu just might have something.

That would do the trick! It would also need compass\\accelerometer\\gyro though.

Wow... that looks familiar.
  • Reply 111 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Well this is purely speculative, but I bet you can't list many of these "disadvantages" out.

Personally, I see the reverse.

- All the disadvantages of the iPhone (and it's not like there are a lot), basically come down to things being too small or not having software that allows me to do anything besides consume media. The web pages are sometimes too small to read, there is a lack of good writing software, etc.

- All the disadvantages of the iPad to me are disadvantages because of it's large size, it's weight, the huge bezel and the impossibility of using it productively in a mobile environment. It's too large to type on effectively without putting it down on a table like a laptop, it's too heavy to hold in one hand for long periods of time, etc.

Although I don't believe these rumours at all, and think it won't happen for at least a year or more, a 7" "iPad Pro" is a total sweet spot for a real mobile computer IMO. Small enough to put in a large pocket but large enough to read on easily. Small enough to allow for typing while walking, but large enough so that you can actually use good software to do it.

It's such a no-brainer to me that I'm seriously looking at buying Android devices whenever they come out in this form factor. So far the Android slates are all such crap that it isn't worth it, but this is a form factor that Apple might have to compete in earlier than they planned as many other manufacturers are coming out with models in this size.

I envision a 7" iPad as more of a business-targeted device as opposed to a consumer-targeted device.

A 5.5" diagonal iPod Touch would still fit in most shirt pockets, pants pockets and holsters. It too, could serve as a business device-- POST (Point Of Sale Terminal) ala the Apple store. Better able to enter signatures, display receipts, etc.

• Reply 112 of 207
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    AMD Fusion

http://sites.amd.com/us/fusion/APU/Pages/fusion.aspx

AMD Fusion Blog:

http://blogs.amd.com/fusion/

Reference to a Dual Core Bobcat I'm guessing they think may go into the AppleTV:

http://blogs.amd.com/fusion/2010/07/...-right-client/

Excerpt:

Quote:

AMD Fusion.

It?s not just an idea ? it is a reality. We recently announced that we expect our ?Ontario? APU and ?Brazos? notebook platform to begin shipping to customers beginning in early 2011. When achieved, this will result in the realization of the AMD Fusion vision, and we believe, drastically change the processing capabilities of small form factor PCs. For those who want to access cloud data on-the-go while simultaneously creating and sharing dynamic and vivid content ? this may be the solution for you. No longer will there have to be a choice between mobility and truly next-generation application experiences.

Recently Announced:

Quote:

AMD may be ramping up its production schedule, moving its 2011 chip to 2010 instead. AMD CEO Dirk Meyer said during a recent conference call that the company's Ontario ultra-mobile chips are due to arrive in the fall, "ahead of schedule."

Those looking to AMD for ultraportables may want to wait and see what comes out, as Ontario will be built on a 40nm process, using a dual-core Bobcat architecture. It'll have integrated graphics too, with support for DirectX 11 and a built in memory controller.

If you're looking to AMD just for graphics, you might also have something to look forward from ATI. Meyer said at the conference call, "We will start introducing the second-generation of our DX 11 products before the end of the year."'

ATI's second generation DX 11 products, code named Southern Islands, will be fabricated on the 40nm process as well and be branded as the Radeon HD 6000 series.

Personally, I don't see it. I see the ARM Cortex 9 based Apple A5, or whatever they call it, to replace the Intel inside with the AppleTV.
  • Reply 113 of 207
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

The smaller size would be zero issue for developers if the screen resolution was the same, as rumored.

Yes it would. Size of controls are different, even if the number of pixels are the same, the size of them are different.
  • Reply 114 of 207
    Quote:

I'm glad you're happy for me, I'm happy for me too-- but of course you took my response as some sort of personal attack which is typical among fanbois. Sigh. Yes, I'm aware of the stats. I stated AS AN E-READER. As a niche E-READER, the Kindle is doing well. The proof, as I stated in my anecdote, is real world evidence despite the numbers. I see on a daily basis far more Kindles than Ipads being used as E-READERS. E-READERS. Hence, the possibility of a new, lighter, more sleek, easier to hold 7" iPAD. nO?

*cough* E-READER *cough*

Forget about it. Apple's position of strength is a form factor that targets multiple intersecting markets into one device.

The current iPad is the sweet spot between several applications. Building a custom eReader when the iPad has it and more goes against Apple's consolidated product lines.
  • Reply 115 of 207
    Quote:

*cough* E-READER *cough*

I saw nothing in your original statement about "E-reader".

Nice back pedal.

Fanbois? lol

Next...

[on edit: I thought you were the original poster (something about bananas). Not sure why you took up the banner... but, anyway, my original argument holds... the Kindle is being pulverized by the iPad... no need for a smaller size to cause confusion... the Kindle is a niche market that I would guess Apple has no interest in entering because there is no return selling products below cost.]
  • Reply 116 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Cortex A9, Fusion...

Why are the Chinese so ignorant of the A4? The new workhorse is doing exactly what it's been expected to. Amazing power efficiency is in place. Why to ditch? Just because the guy who led the development could not get along with Apple's corporate culture? Or have they not heard of yet?

Papermaster didn't lead the design of the A4.
  • Reply 117 of 207
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    You can be sure that APPLE has a few things in its pipeline and is simply not resting on its current products. Whether or not the rumors are the actual products is anyones guess.
  • Reply 118 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

I'd be amazed if they couldn't achieve Wii-level performance.

Oh please. You'd have to try really hard not to beat the POC that is the Wii. iPhone 4 alone can do that, and pretty easily.
  • Reply 119 of 207
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Oh please. You'd have to try really hard not to beat the POC that is the Wii. iPhone 4 alone can do that, and pretty easily.

Don't insult the Wii :O the Wii is epic , but yeah the graphics, processor, memory, storage & UI all suck- I'm not even sure why I like it
  • Reply 120 of 207
    iguesssoiguessso Posts: 132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

It might not seem like much to go from a 3.5" screen to maybe a 5" screen but I'll bet the user experience would be significantly enhanced.

3.5" Screen: 2.1" x 2.8", 5.88 sq. in.

5.0" Screen: 3.0" x 4.0", 12.00 sq. in., 104.1% larger

Still pocketable, but would be much better browser/e-book device. sign me up! I'd choose that over a 7" in a hearbeat. And it trumps the Android 4.3" screen size.