Apple's new 12-core Mac Pro now available to order

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I think for my current apps, a 3.6GHz iMac would work out better than one of these, but I have owned a Mac Pro in the past and anything I/O intensive it just left my white (at the time) iMac in the dust.
  • Reply 22 of 67
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntson View Post

...Their iphone should not take all of the creative talent out of their other machines.

Don't forget the iPad.
  • Reply 23 of 67
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I think for my current apps, a 3.6GHz iMac would work out better than one of these, but I have owned a Mac Pro in the past and anything I/O intensive it just left my white (at the time) iMac in the dust.

The whole architecture is quite different. Imagine 2 or 4 of those 512GB SSDs in RAID0 in the latest Mac Pros. Now that's some I/O
  • Reply 24 of 67
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:

USB3=standard on many PCs today - how about apple being on the cutting edge for once. Their iphone should not take all of the creative talent out of their other machines.

OK. You do understand, the Mac Pro is by no means a machine for ``users' '? It's a tool for professionals, specializing in very narrow areas of productivity. You are no doubt aware, some libraries, which such professionals work with, cost approximately the same as 12-core Mac Pro machine.

Could you please name at least some professional-grade input peripherals, which rely on USB 3.0 interface? How many are they now?
  • Reply 25 of 67
    Also announced in late July but still unavailable to purchase is the new 27-inch LED Cinema Display. The hardware, which sports a 2,560-by-1,440 pixel resolution and 60 percent more screen real estate than the previous 24-inch model, is set to ship in September for $999.[/QUOTE]

its only on the low end that you get a better price from dell. on the high end apple products are quite reasonable. dell 27" ultrasharp is more expensive than apple's 27".

new mac pro and dual 27s.....hummina,hummina,hummina.
  • Reply 26 of 67
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

As a pro user, I need eSata built in along with fibre options. As a pro user getting all sorts of data from everywhere, I need USB 3 built in. As a pro user, i am not making a lot of money and this is expensive.

Quote:

As a pro user I need 10gb ethernet and two firewire busses for the current price.

Nonsense. If you really need those things, an expansion card is cheap.

I don't know any pro users who are using USB 3, anyway. But if you have to have it, a card is cheap.
  • Reply 27 of 67
    Our order will ship in 14 days. So much for 7 to 10.
  • Reply 28 of 67
    Quote:

As a pro user, I need eSata built in along with fibre options. As a pro user getting all sorts of data from everywhere, I need USB 3 built in. As a pro user, i am not making a lot of money and this is expensive.

'along with fibre options'

and later you add '10g' is also needed.

please explain how exactly you would need these? sounds absolutely ridiculous.
  • Reply 29 of 67
    No USB 3 and No Blu-Ray
  • Reply 30 of 67
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheTroupe View Post

Our order will ship in 14 days. So much for 7 to 10.

Did it say "business days" by any chance?
  • Reply 31 of 67
    Quote:

There's eSATA ports right on the motherboard. You are a Pro user and you can't afford the $40 card w/wires to extend the ports to the back plate?

The whole point of having a tower is that you can buy add-in cards for junk that is cool to have like USB 3.0 but not mature enough to include as stock items.

Mac Pros are a good deal. They cost a fortune but they last for years and years and are generally years ahead of their time to begin with IMO. I find people on average go through two or sometimes three iMacs or Mac minis in the same timeframe as a Mac Pro user goes through one Mac Pro. They don't feel slow a year later like most computers you buy, they still feel like a powerhouse even three or four years down the road.
  • Reply 32 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

No shit?

..But seriously, thanks for your pontification on the subject!

It was my pleasure...
  • Reply 33 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fernando View Post

No USB 3 and No Blu-Ray

thank you!!!
  • Reply 34 of 67
    $5,000.00 and no Blu-ray, oh but it does come with a high tech Super Drive.
  • Reply 35 of 67
    stottmstottm Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fernando View Post

No USB 3 and No Blu-Ray

Umm, just not from Apple, but these guys have a Blu-Ray drive for MacPro's!

http://www.mcetech.com/blu-ray/
  • Reply 36 of 67
    stottmstottm Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DANIML View Post

$5,000.00 and no Blu-ray, oh but it does come with a high tech Super Drive.

• Reply 37 of 67
    I firmly believe I'm a pro user, and really would like to have a Mac desktop. No, I don't really need the power that the MacPro has.. I'm quite happy with my aging Core i7 machine with 4 cores. And a current Macbook Pro gives me the power that I need. But what I need to have for a desktop machine is multiple monitors.. 3 or 4 24".. To make that happen with an Apple, you have to shell out for a MacPro. I think this is a big part of the reason behind the hackintosh movement.

I'd be very happy to get a consumer class CPU in an Apple chassis that could take 2 video cards for more a software development pro price.
  • Reply 38 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stottm View Post

Quote from MCE: Play Blu-ray movies on your Mac.

Play Blu-ray and HD DVD movies on your Mac Pro with Boot Camp running Windows XP or Vista.

You can get a similar drive from newegg for $120-150.

Just ordered mine, got a 3.2 GHz Quad w/6GB ram... ouch my wallet hurts! I really wanted the Hexa-Core model, but $1200 upgrade to go from a $300 processor (stock) to a $999 one? I know this is nothing new from Apple, but it still hurts when it comes time to make your purchase. They also jacked up the memory costs... Yesterday going from 3GB ram to 6GB ram was $180, now it's $225. Oy!
  • Reply 39 of 67
    Yeah, $4999 is expensive, but I've been using my dual 1.8GHz G5 for the past 5 years and it is still pumping out Illustrator and Photoshop graphics, Motion graphics, After Effects files and SD video editing on FCP. So, I will upgrade to the new 6-core only because I need the processing power for HD video editing and graphics. I'd say $5,000 is a bargain if it lasts like my G5. Don't forget about student discounts. Have a kid in High School or college? Get it through them!
  • Reply 40 of 67
    calguycalguy Posts: 80member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

There's eSATA ports right on the motherboard. You are a Pro user and you can't afford the $40 card w/wires to extend the ports to the back plate?

Mac Pros are a good deal. They cost a fortune but they last for years and years and are generally years ahead of their time to begin with IMO. I find people on average go through two or sometimes three iMacs or Mac minis in the same timeframe as a Mac Pro user goes through one Mac Pro. They don't feel slow a year later like most computers you buy, they still feel like a powerhouse even three or four years down the road.

Absolutely will be getting the eSATA card....and I still have a G4 dual 1GB machine that still works well and does the job-now thats really getting my money's worth.

I added extra drives and ports. The only limit is the speed to do video which is why I will be getting the G5, probably the 6 core.

Anyone have any experience using an SSD as a boot drive and also the apps. I want to put Photoshop CS5 and Aperture on it but want to use a 2TB drive for the Library since it will get much bigger than what the SSD will hold.