CDMA iPhone, AMD-powered Apple TV with iOS, 7-inch iPad rumored

Comments

• Reply 121 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I saw nothing in your original statement about "E-reader".

Nice back pedal.

Fanbois? lol

Next...

Denial: another fanboi trait.

Read the post again where I said... oh never mind, you crazy guy you!
  • Reply 122 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

Denial: another fanboi trait.

Read the post again where I said... oh never mind, you crazy guy you!

Re-read my post.

By the way... why do you use personal attacks to defend your arguments? Very weak.
  • Reply 123 of 207
    FINALLY, Apple is going to update the Apple TV! It's about time, because the current one has too many problems, and is not very Apple-like. I wonder if the Apple TV iOS will be able to run on the current Apple TV boxes, or will new hardware also be required?
  • Reply 124 of 207
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

A device operated by remote control is different to both mouse and touchscreen. So it would be a 3rd type of GUI. Unless the magic trackpad is intended for use with the new Apple TV?

The only thing different from an iphone is they need to add a cursor on the screen and voila, it works just like a macbook trackpad.

Not sure how they will package this since the magic trackpad sell for 70$ and the AppleTV is suppose to cost 100$. Maybe a smaller trackpad will come with it or just a cheap remote like old TV and trackpad will be optionnal with magic track or iphone/ipod.

If that thing can do old AppleTV stuff AND compete in the game console business this is going to be HUGE.
  • Reply 125 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Forget about it. Apple's position of strength is a form factor that targets multiple intersecting markets into one device.

The current iPad is the sweet spot between several applications. Building a custom eReader when the iPad has it and more goes against Apple's consolidated product lines.

Well, I'm not convinced the current form factor hits the sweet spot for e-readers which is why A 7" form factor that encompasses some/most of the abilities of the current Ipad, YET scaled down to better compete with kindle and nook could be very successful. Will it happen? I have my doubts, Apple historically limits offerings/form factors to avoid cannibalization--and the goal of total consolidation has been the norm as you stated.
  • Reply 126 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

You can be sure that APPLE has a few things in its pipeline and is simply not resting on its current products. Whether or not the rumors are the actual products is anyones guess.

Well, Apple had a quite aggressive forecast at its last earnings call. If it beats that forecast, it needs to get something big out there soon. By that I mean a big seller, available immediately, in large quantities.

Sure, there may be iPod, and maybe AppleTV upgrades-- but these will largely affect the October-December quarter. An iPad bump (and possible new model) makes sense in the January-March quarter.

The only thing I can think of for the July-September Quarter is a CDMA iPhone 4!

If CDMA iPhone 4 supplies are constrained, someone suggested a gift certificate might mitigate the problem.

I posted this to another thread:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=111950

If you look at Andy Zacky's forecast for the September quarter:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2191...r?source=yahoo

He has a higher forecast than Apple: $19.1 billion vs $18 billion.

If Apple forecasts $18 billion, I believe they expect to attain $20 billion.

Where does that extra $2 billion revenue come from?

Looking at the chart, I think the estimates for the iPad are low-- rather, more like 6 - 7 million units. But that won't get them [all the way to] an extra $2 billion,

That leaves the iPhones. Zacky's forecast is reasonably correct considering the published supply constraints.

But, If those shortages are caused by building a Dual iP4 or (sadly, more likely) a iP4 CDMA on a shadow manufacturing line-- then there could be a significant bump in iPhone sales and revenue for the September quarter.

Let's say Apple has an initial inventory of CDMA iP4s and a running production line!

How many iP4 CDMA iPhones could Apple sell, world-wide, in the 7 weeks remaining in the quarter (after an Aug 15 announce)?

! million? 2 million? 5 million?

Asked in a different way: If Google is currently activating 200,000 Android phones per day * how many CDMA iP4s could Apple activate per day for the next 44 days (after the Aug 15 announce)?

* http://www.mediapost.com/publication...art_aid=133348

• Reply 127 of 207
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Socrates View Post

Of all of these, the 7" iPad seems the least probable.

I'm an iPhone/iPad developer, so I have some experience with what's involved in programming these things. One of the key differences between iPhone and say, Android is that iOS has no real provision for automatically supporting different screen sizes.

Porting from iPhone to iPad means redesigning your interface for a different screen size and aspect ratio. This isn't automatic - it requires a complete manual redesign of each screen. You'll notice that most iPad buttons aren't twice the size of iPhone ones - they aren't scaled up - they are still exactly the right size for your finger, they're just further apart. (I'm talking about native iPad apps, not upscaled iPhone apps and I'm referring to buttons on modals and tab bars not the keyboard).

Supporting the retina display is simpler because switching image sizes works automatically but that's only possible because the retina display is exactly double the resolution of the 3GS and the screen is the same size. If the screen were bigger or smaller or the pixels weren't an exact multiple of the 3GS then that would have to be done manually as well.

So consider this, if the iPad buttons are the correct size for your finger on a 10" iPad then what happens when you reduce the screen size? If you downscale everything then the buttons will be too small to touch accurately. If you keep them the same size then you break the layout. This can't be done automatically - developers will have to update their apps.

So maybe Apple will just expect developers to update their apps - it wouldn't be the first time. But it would seem a bit strange after launching the iPad only a few months ago to suddenly release an update that breaks half the existing apps. And if Apple knew this was coming you would think there'd be some hint in the developer documentation, like "don't design your apps for a fixed screen size" or "make sure the buttons in your iPad interfaces are a bit bigger than they need to be".

I guess you missed the part where they clearly stated that this 'rumored' 7 inch iPad would have the exact same (1024 x 768) screen resolution/aspect ratio of the 9.7 inch version, and the loss of 2.7 inches of screen real estate would hardly cause for alarm on a device of, a still sizable, 7 inches.

We'll See...
  • Reply 128 of 207
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GaspinRasputin View Post

I don't understand the need for a smaller iPad...

I am a pilot, and every pilot I know wants a smaller one that can be placed on the yoke (requires that the width not exceed about 5 1/2 inches, which would put this form factor in that category perhaps). Also, I want a lighter version for reading in bed (the current ipad is too heavy for me, resting on my stomach). Just some thoughts, and hope they provide some alternative form factors based on the ipad technology.
  • Reply 129 of 207
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fabsgwu View Post

I really do hope they have a metal backplate (just *not* polished chrome, thank you), the glass backplate is completely unnecessary since the antenna is integrated on the band. The current design is overly delicate and expensive.

Look for a mid-cycle (yes, highly unusual for Apple) design of the iPhone with a new internal antenna assembly, and that replaces the impractical glass back for something manufactured of a composite material... It only makes sense for a usability standpoint.
  • Reply 130 of 207
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    "The CDMA iPhone's back plate will be forged from metal materials and will feature an integrated antenna."

I think that's some of Apple's classic false info to track down leaks. I doubt they will backtrack that much on their design.
  • Reply 131 of 207
    Fusion-based Apple TV streaming 1080p with bluetooth connectivity for keyboard/trackpad, remote and iPhone/iPod touch gaming controller? Sounds like a winner if they can keep it around $200-$300.

Not exactly sure how much sense iOS makes from a UI perspective. I think an Apple TV needs a simple UI, but without direct touch does iOS make sense? Maybe in a different input capacity, not sure how that would work...

I would see this mostly as an advancement into gaming market to compete with Wii more than trying to replace TV content. It would make sense to try to build on the gaming momentum that iOS currently has.
  • Reply 132 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

I am a pilot, and every pilot I know wants a smaller one that can be placed on the yoke (requires that the width not exceed about 5 1/2 inches, which would put this form factor in that category perhaps). Also, I want a lighter version for reading in bed (the current ipad is too heavy for me, resting on my stomach). Just some thoughts, and hope they provide some alternative form factors based on the ipad technology.

The MagicPad is 5 1/8 inch square and has a 7 inch diagonal surface (no bezel).

A 5 1/2 x 7 (WxH) would give a 7" diagonal screen with about the same bezel width as the iPad

• Reply 133 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Look for a mid-cycle (yes, highly unusual for Apple) design of the iPhone with a new internal antenna assembly, and that replaces the impractical glass back for something manufactured of a composite material... It only makes sense for a usability standpoint.

Have a look at this:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...tal_alloy.html

• Reply 134 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by starmax View Post

Not exactly sure how much sense iOS makes from a UI perspective. I think an Apple TV needs a simple UI, but without direct touch does iOS make sense? Maybe in a different input capacity, not sure how that would work..

Apple will probably allow use of an iPhone, iPad or the new MagicPad as the input device for the new Apple TV with iOS. This is currently possible using the Remote app on an iPhone or iPod Touch. Perhaps the new Apple TV will even come with a MagicPad.
  • Reply 135 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

How exactly would iOS work on apple TV? It's a completely different category of device to iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad.

Many of the existing apps could be used on your tv, with some sort of remote pointing device (magic trachpad). bluetooth keyboard likely also. Any app that streams video to iPhone/iPad now, could stream to your TV. All the app store games on your tv, all the app store content related apps on your tv. Then a new class of apps that interact with the video/audio stream. Mashups of live/recorded TV. (we can hope).

Sounds like potentially a pretty big deal.
  • Reply 136 of 207
    grifmxgrifmx Posts: 92member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GaspinRasputin View Post

I don't understand the need for a smaller iPad...

I agree! People already have smart phones. I am waiting for a LARGER iPad - 9x12 or even 10x13!

Now that would be great for many things - and replace paper even more - sheet music, presentations, magazines, etc.

Hey Steve - WE LOVE SCREEN REAL ESTATE!!!!

9x12 and 2GB RAM - then I'm buying!
  • Reply 137 of 207
    socratessocrates Posts: 261member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Hpw would a Touch with the same resolution as the iPhone Retina display but a larger screen, work out. Would iPhone apps work on a Touch with that set-up without mods?

They'd look and work pretty much the same as a pixel-doubled iPhone app running on an iPad does now (only less pixellated since the iPad doesn't currently support the HD graphics in iOS4 apps).

That would probably be okay, but I'm not sure what the benefit would be versus running the app on an iPod/iPhone. The pixels would be bigger but there would still be the same amount of content on screen.

It might have a niche as an iPod for the hard-of-seeing, but I can't see a market big enough for Apple to take an interest in.
  • Reply 138 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I envision a 7" iPad as more of a business-targeted device as opposed to a consumer-targeted device.

A 5.5" diagonal iPod Touch would still fit in most shirt pockets, pants pockets and holsters. It too, could serve as a business device-- POST (Point Of Sale Terminal) ala the Apple store. Better able to enter signatures, display receipts, etc.

You're talking about 5.5" in total, right? Because a device with a 5.5" screen would most likely not fit so well.

I think the size of the iPhone screen is great, and is the most ideal size for an open-faced phone. My significant other has a Droid X, and the thing (literally) looks like a brick in his jeans pocket. Looks a bit awkward.

The iPad I can totally see having a 7" screen, however. A quick way to judge this screen size is to draw a rectangle 10cm x 15cm, as this is roughly 7" diagonal at an angle that is the iPhone's. Or, tear off a sheet of 5" x 7" memo paper, as this would mimic the rough size of a 7" screen iPad (w/ some bezel room). Seems to me to be the perfect size.
  • Reply 139 of 207
    socratessocrates Posts: 261member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

I guess you missed the part where they clearly stated that this 'rumored' 7 inch iPad would have the exact same (1024 x 768) screen resolution/aspect ratio of the 9.7 inch version, and the loss of 2.7 inches of screen real estate would hardly cause for alarm on a device of, a still sizable, 7 inches.

We'll See...

I didn't miss it, I just pointed out that if you make the pixels smaller then you make the interface elements smaller, and if you make the interface elements bigger then you need to redesign your apps.

You may be correct that a drop from 10" to 7" wouldn't be an insurmountable difference, but it would still seem pretty odd for Apple to have an iPad model where the on-screen buttons were smaller than on the iPhone.

Of course most things Apple does seem improbable until they do them, so as you say, we'll see.
  • Reply 140 of 207
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

The MagicPad is 5 1/8 inch square and has a 7 inch diagonal surface (no bezel).

A 5 1/2 x 7 (WxH) would give a 7" diagonal screen with about the same bezel width as the iPad

Yep - the iPad has already almost revolutionized small airplane navigation/planning. However, the larger iPad is not optimized for instrument flight (as you don't want the screen to be off center while you are piloting in the clouds).

Also, the larger iPad cannot go up in the higher altitudes (apparently, it gets really hot), and the lack of 3G coverage makes it somewhat useful, but not entirely the best bet for replacing the heavy paper charts necessary to fly IFR (instrument flight rules).

You can, however, plan and file your plan, look at weather, etc, and get a moving map display (somewhat, but not always).

There are dedicated tablets already in use, but they are extremely expensive (several thousands of dollars, plus expensive subscriptions for updating charts). The hope is that a smaller ipad, with its ability to utilize cheaper or free charts, will make it a must-have for every pilot.

A lot of my pilot friends and flight instructors at Palo Alto airport already use the iPad, along with the ForeFlight planning app, which is awesome. Met an Apple engineer on Saturday, who is already encorporating his ipad into his flight training, even though he has yet to solo.

Hope they put out a smaller one - I'll step up and get one at that time, assuming the problems I noted have been ironed out by then (hopefully).