Apple discriminating against Puerto Rico customers

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have been told that this is a good forum to air complaints that will be read by Apple brass. Let's see if it is true.

Puerto Rico is a U.S. Territory. We are part of the US in every aspect except for Statehood. All federal laws apply, including the Uniform Commercial Code.

So why is it that Apple refuses to ship anything purchased on its on-line store to Puerto Rico?

There are only two authorized Apple distributors in P.R. and their service stinks and their pricing is high. Why should we be subjected mediocre service and rip-off prices just because we are offshore? Does Apple refuse to sell to Hawaii too? It is offshore. How about D.C., it is not a state.

I demand to know why this is Apple's policy. As it is, our delegate in Washington is asking us, his constituents, to inform him of cases like these so that he may initiate some sort of action against companies that discriminate against Puerto Rico residents. Also, the Puerto Rico legislature has initiated an investigation of the issue with the purpose of establishing laws that would fine companies that refuse to do business on line directly with P.R. customers.

Can I get some answers here? If I don't, I will simply stop buyng Apple products and not recommend the purchase of Apple products by the companies with which I do business as an IT consultant.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    mysticmystic Posts: 514member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SteveMST View Post

Can I get some answers here?

No you may not.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Whats wrong with Best Buy? Do they not carry Apple there?

If you seriously expect people on this forum to tell you why Apple does one thing or another you're seriously misguided.

And don't act all dramatic because I'm sure its the same in all the other US territories
  • Reply 3 of 12
    I guess it is just a question of Statehood.. Sorry
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Hawaii is a state... They are NOT treated like PR.

PR is NOT being singled out... They are not that special. The same policies apply to the better US Territories (Guam, USVI, CNMI, etc...)

I'll bet ther IS an online Apple store that will deliver to you... Just not the standard US one. In Guam, we have to order from the Singapore version of Apple.com ... The prices are higher, but, that's just the way it is.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    I can understand special territorial rules, but why should a person in a US Territory have to order a US product through a foreign store?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

I can understand special territorial rules, but why should a person in a US Territory have to order a US product through a foreign store?

Because... AS a territory, and not a state, they are subject to many special rules. They also get many special exemptions from various rules that states must adhere to. Among other things, taxation is different... both at the consumer and corporate level. That would be my first guess at why Apple doesn't sell there from their "U.S." store.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    mcdmcd Posts: 1member
    Anyone with a PR Area Code needs to take note: 787/939 numbers are flagged in either AT&T's system or Apple's system as not being eligible for upgrade although initially you received a upgrade confirmation. The issue arises both online and in the Apple Store when you try to purchase the iPhone at the discounted prices for the upgrade. In the Walnut Street Apple Store in Philadelphia on September 2, 2010, I spent 2 hours trying to resolve this issue with the in-store genius and AT&T on the phone troubleshooting. The error received was "FLP-643" customer is in a market ineligible for upgrade. Thus, the phone could not be purchased. AT&T's solution was to activate the phone in the box and disable my iPhone 3G, leaving me with no working phone, since Apple could not complete the transaction. So, to have a phone, I had to purchase a new line while the issue was "escalated" with AT&T. On September 7, I returned the phone and inquired about the escalation, only to be told that I had to go to an AT&T store. 4 hours wasted!

On September, 8 I was able to buy the iPhone 4 upgrade at the AT&T store without any errors and the clerks specifically stated that they could not understand why Apple could not complete the transaction in the store. I saw the error and was lead to believe that it was an AT&T error since the message said AT&T. So, who is right in blaming who? AT&T or Apple? The fact that I spent 15 minutes in the AT&T store and 4 hours with Apple shows that Apple may be at fault here. At the very least they should get the error "FLP-643" message resolved with apple for 787 and 939 numbers eligible for upgrade. AT&T claims that Puerto Rico is part of the Florida market and thus can be upgraded.

Any ideas Apple? Steve? Is this a discriminatory process? It sure seems to be on the outside. I await an intelligent response. And I did not think I would be saying this, but thanks AT&T.
  • Reply 8 of 12

This is really unfair the stores that sell apple products in P.R. doesn't give the educational discount. This problem should be solve, I have read that in Best Buy of Canada and the U.S.A. gives the discounts but here in Puerto Rico they don't. I don't see my self buying one of those products in the future unless they give the discount, and after all it's their loss.    

• Reply 9 of 12

Originally Posted by Yasaida Rivera View Post

This is really unfair the stores that sell apple products in P.R. doesn't give the educational discount.

That'll change once Congress approves your statehood. Only a little bit longer!

• Reply 10 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Because... AS a territory, and not a state, they are subject to many special rules. They also get many special exemptions from various rules that states must adhere to. Among other things, taxation is different... both at the consumer and corporate level. That would be my first guess at why Apple doesn't sell there from their "U.S." store.

I hate ignorant posts like this.  I bet Apple executives think the same way.  Puerto Rico has no special rule, special clause or special coinage.  For all respect and purposes shipping to Puerto Rico is the EXACT SAME as shipping to Hawaii, Alaska, Wyoming, Rhode Island, etc.

Get this, THE EXACT SAME.  There's no difference what so ever in shipping products to Puerto Rico.   We are part of the same postal system as the States.

• Reply 11 of 12

Originally Posted by DisgruntedPR View Post

For all respect and purposes shipping to Puerto Rico is the EXACT SAME as shipping to Hawaii, Alaska, Wyoming, Rhode Island, etc.

Except, you know, legal purposes.

• Reply 12 of 12

no one cares if you buy from apple or not.  no one cares about your recommendaiton.  Apple certain doesnt care if you take your business elsewhere..  No one cares..  know that you are utterly unimportant in the world of Apple.  no one cares