CDMA iPhone, AMD-powered Apple TV with iOS, 7-inch iPad rumored

Comments

• Reply 141 of 207
    iansilviansilv Posts: 283member
    Well, I would certainly buy a 7" iPad. It is a little smaller, and just easier to hold while surfing the web. It would also make a great touchpanel controller for a home automation system.

The new Apple TV would be great too if it did something I would really like- play bluray isos from a computer network, same thing for ripped DVDs like frontrow. If it did that well, I would buy 5 of them as soon as they come out.
  • Reply 142 of 207
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

that's because you don't have to hold and type with your lap-top in your hands for an given period of time...your argument is mute.

It's mute? I can't hear you!!

Oh , you meant moot.
  • Reply 143 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Socrates View Post

I didn't miss it, I just pointed out that if you make the pixels smaller then you make the interface elements smaller, and if you make the interface elements bigger then you need to redesign your apps.

You may be correct that a drop from 10" to 7" wouldn't be an insurmountable difference, but it would still seem pretty odd for Apple to have an iPad model where the on-screen buttons were smaller than on the iPhone.

Of course most things Apple does seem improbable until they do them, so as you say, we'll see.

Apple could very well just decrease the resolution on a 7" screen iPad from the 1024x768 the 9.7" uses, to the 960x640 resolution of the iPhone 4. That's only a difference of 64x128, resolution-wise, which isn't much. But it's not resolution that matters, its the pixels per square inch. Granted, the iPhone 4 display has a mind-numbing 330 PPI, which isn't likely to turn up in larger devices anytime soon, but considering the iPhone 3GS had about 115 PPI, a PPI of around 250 or so would make a 7" screen iPad look just as good (if not better) than one at 1024x768. Plus, developers could simply scale their apps, just as they've done for the iPhone 4.
  • Reply 144 of 207
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Oh , you meant moot.

"For all intensive purposes?

?A sure win?

?Chomping at the bit?

Some of my favourites
  • Reply 145 of 207
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Apple and AMD is an awesome combo and not just for Apple TV.

For starters AMD and ATI are joined at the hip, which means there won't be as many problems with graphics hardware for macbooks and other macs.

Second AMD needs a major computer maker to endorse them, being second choice like they are in the WinTel universe is not very rewarding.

Apple is already using a lot of ATI products, and I am sure that folks at AMD can make some sort of tweaks to make ATI graphics scream when coupled with AMD chips.

FInally apple would not have to compete with Dell, Asus and HP for new chips.

AMD might not make the best chips, but they are not far behind and with a bit of cooperation from apple they can improve quite a bit.
  • Reply 146 of 207
    Quote:

Oh , you meant moot.

Try the veal! tip tour waitress!
  • Reply 147 of 207
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

iPod touch

32 GB $299

64 GB $399

iPad

32 GB $599

64 GB $699

That's a fairly large gap to add a 7" iPad. I'm not saying that they're going to do it, but arguing that there's not a big enough gap in between for a new product is silly.

Roll prices back a bit on both models in the new update. Sell the 32 for 299 and the 64 for 300. Suddenly you have more space available for new devices. The problem is that to really cut into the market for the Kindle and Nook Apple would have to release a new product in the ~$200-$250 range and I don't see that happening.
  • Reply 148 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

"For all intensive purposes”

“A sure win”

“Chomping at the bit”

Some of my favourites

Let me try and guess these...

"For all intents and purposes."

"A sure bet."

"Champing at the bit."

Just between you and I, I tucked some sarcasm away in here...
  • Reply 149 of 207
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    Hopefully the new AppleTV will have feature parity with Windows Media Center so I can get rid of Windows entirely.
  • Reply 150 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

Yep - the iPad has already almost revolutionized small airplane navigation/planning. However, the larger iPad is not optimized for instrument flight (as you don't want the screen to be off center while you are piloting in the clouds).

You shouldn't be flying through clouds!

What do you fly?

Years ago, while on night shift, I was taking lessons out of El Monte, CA (a tiny little airport in So Cal), from Pappy Beale (he had over 10,000 hours & 1/2" thick glasses). We flew mostly AirKnockers, with an occasional super cub or 170. He was old school-- taught spins, when many of the new schools didn't. El Monte had a right-hand pattern. One time I was on my base leg, a little heavy on my left rudder... Pappy said: "you feel pretty comfortable, Don't you?"-- as he kicked the left rudder... Wheee!

One of my friends had done some crop dusting ("to blow the dew off the strawberries") and flown a Swift-- a neat little low-wing that would take 7Gs in any direction.

I got transferred to days, so that pretty much curtailed my lessons... got married, moved away.

Quote:

Also, the larger iPad cannot go up in the higher altitudes (apparently, it gets really hot), and the lack of 3G coverage makes it somewhat useful, but not entirely the best bet for replacing the heavy paper charts necessary to fly IFR (instrument flight rules).

How high are you flying? Pressurized? We could get the super cub close to 10,000 feet but it took a while & the air was pretty thin.

Quote:

You can, however, plan and file your plan, look at weather, etc, and get a moving map display (somewhat, but not always).

There are dedicated tablets already in use, but they are extremely expensive (several thousands of dollars, plus expensive subscriptions for updating charts). The hope is that a smaller ipad, with its ability to utilize cheaper or free charts, will make it a must-have for every pilot.

A lot of my pilot friends and flight instructors at Palo Alto airport already use the iPad, along with the ForeFlight planning app, which is awesome. Met an Apple engineer on Saturday, who is already encorporating his ipad into his flight training, even though he has yet to solo.

Hope they put out a smaller one - I'll step up and get one at that time, assuming the problems I noted have been ironed out by then (hopefully).

Sounds like a good speciality use!

• Reply 151 of 207
    Quote:

"For all intensive purposes”

“A sure win”

“Chomping at the bit”

Some of my favourites

"a tough road to hoe"

"for free"

...then there's the whole Mondegreen thing!

"there's a bathroom on the right"

• Reply 152 of 207
    Quote:

?A sure win?

?Chomping at the bit?

Some of my favourites

Good ones. Add to it a couple of mine:

"Boy, she was really stuck up: what a hoi polloi!"

"That bureaucrat is officious."

"Definately."
  • Reply 153 of 207
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

?A sure win?

?Chomping at the bit?

Some of my favourites

I could care less.
  • Reply 154 of 207
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

With a Wiimote clone.

Think about it. It would work.

So if it runs iOS and has Safari, how would you type on it if you didn't own an iPhone or an iPod touch?
  • Reply 155 of 207
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

You shouldn't be flying through clouds!

What do you fly?

Years ago, while on night shift, I was taking lessons out of El Monte, CA (a tiny little airport in So Cal), from Pappy Beale (he had over 10,000 hours & 1/2" thick glasses). We flew mostly AirKnockers, with an occasional super cub or 170. He was old school-- taught spins, when many of the new schools didn't. El Monte had a right-hand pattern. One time I was on my base leg, a little heavy on my left rudder... Pappy said: "you feel pretty comfortable, Don't you?"-- as he kicked the left rudder... Wheee!

One of my friends had done some crop dusting ("to blow the dew off the strawberries") and flown a Swift-- a neat little low-wing that would take 7Gs in any direction.

I got transferred to days, so that pretty much curtailed my lessons... got married, moved away.

How high are you flying? Pressurized? We could get the super cub close to 10,000 feet but it took a while & the air was pretty thin.

Sounds like a good speciality use!

Yeah, I already told the Apple engineer to get Steve to drop all his projects, and make a dedicated iPad for us pilots.

My Turbo Bonanza B36TC flies up to 25,000 (it can go higher, but not certified as such, and is non-pressurized, with built in O2). You can't use any computers which use disk-drives, because they fail at high altitudes - the iPad gets extremely hot, which may have nothing to do with the altitude, since it is solid-state, but overheating has been a constant complaint about iPads (wonder why I haven't heard anything about this on this board?)

Didn't know you were a pilot also. Did my training at Travis Aeroclub/Petaluma/Oakland, before buying a few planes and settling into Palo Alto. I wish I could ditch my 50 lbs of charts for a 7" iPad. That would make my day. (still waiting for the callback from Steve...)
  • Reply 156 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

A device operated by remote control is different to both mouse and touchscreen. So it would be a 3rd type of GUI. Unless the magic trackpad is intended for use with the new Apple TV?

The so-called Magic Trackpad has clickable-feet because it's designed to rest on a table for clicking and dragging. And even if the hardware was a little different, that doesn't explain how you'd type words. Not everyone has an iPhone or iPod touch.
  • Reply 157 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

i'd rather see a lighter weight 9.7" iPad instead of a smaller screen. After experiencing the iPad, I found that it's still too heavy to use for longer than 1 hour of continuous use.

You can't have it both ways. That's why if they do make a 7" one, that'll be the reason: weight. The iPad needs a bezel that size for fingers, that's why the only way to make it noticeably lighter is to make the screen smaller. A smaller, lighter version. That's why the new Kindle is lighter, 'cause they didn't need a bezel so big. They trimmed it down, it's smaller, and so it's lighter.

If they do a 7" iPad they'll bring up the resolution on the 9.7" version and they won't market it as iPad mini. They'll call them both iPad, and sell them on the same page, just like they do with the iMac.
  • Reply 158 of 207
    I think I may seem some reasons for the smaller iPad, this is reminding me of all of those great discussions about the iPhone mini.... which never came into being.
  • Reply 159 of 207
    Quote:

I could care less.

I couldn't.
  • Reply 160 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GaspinRasputin View Post

I think I may seem some reasons for the smaller iPad, this is reminding me of all of those great discussions about the iPhone mini.... which never came into being.

They were just guesses by us though, not part of a Digitimes report.