Microsoft site attempts to discourage PC users from switching to Mac

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Microsoft has launched a new website that tells users PCs have Blu-ray, more software choices, and a greater array of hardware options when compared with Apple's Mac platform.

The Windows 7 section of Microsoft's website now has a tab entitled "PC vs. Mac," which pitches Blu-ray compatibility as one major feature Mac users cannot access. "Deciding between a PC and a Mac?" it asks. "Here's what you need to know."

The newly launched site features six different sections extolling the virtues of Windows-based machines. One section of the site, entitled "Having Fun," tells potential switchers that Macs might "spoil" their fun.

"You can't get a Mac that ships with a Blu-ray player, TV tuner, Memory Stick reader, or built-in 3G wireless," the site says. "You can with PCs running Windows 7."

The site repeatedly and prominently mentions the Mac in each of its sections, with such statements as that "Macs can take time to learn," "Macs don't work as well at work or school," and "Macs don't let you choose."

"PCs give you a lot more choice and capabilities for your money," the site proclaims. "You can get the PC you want, in the size and color you want, with the features you want. You just don't have as many options with a Mac."

Users can also find their "perfect PC" using the Windows PC Scout tool, and also check the compatibility status of software and hardware with the Windows 7 operating system. Visitors can also read "buzz" from users on Twitter talking about PCs with Windows 7.

For some time, Apple has had its own "Why you'll love a Mac" website, which pitches switching to the Mac is the "ultimate upgrade." It also says that Microsoft's Windows operating system is susceptible to "thousands of viruses" that "plague" the platform.

Of course, negative advertising between Microsoft and Apple is nothing new. Apple only recently concluded its Get a Mac TV ads featuring actor Justin Long and humorist John Hodgman. The series of ads, which ran for years, featured the "Hello, I'm a Mac" tagline at the start of every spot, and Long's "Mac" character played the straight man, flanked by Hodgman's bumbling "PC."

The commercials were extremely successful, and aired during a period of tremendous growth for the Mac platform. Last year, Adweek named the "Get a Mac" campaign the best ad campaign of the decade.

For years, Microsoft ignored the Mac in its own TV advertisements. But last year, the Redmond, Wash., software giant stepped up its own advertising campaign and made an effort to reclaim the "I'm a PC" tagline from Apple. Television spots for Windows 7 have featured customers taking credit for the improvements in the new operating system, with the slogan "I'm a PC, and Windows 7 was my idea."

Microsoft also took on the Mac even more directly with its "Laptop Hunters" ads, which portrayed Apple's notebook prices as too high for the average consumer. The Windows maker also came under fire -- and modified one ad -- after it incorrectly displayed a MacBook Pro price as higher than it actually was.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 239
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    So Microsoft is standing behind their product and trying to show the benefits compared to their closest competitor. Apple does the same exact thing, as stated in the article, so not sure how this is news. This is the same campaign Microsoft has been running for a while now.
  • Reply 2 of 239
    Wow, what a powerful site. I'm switching back! You know you would too if only the site reminded you about all the fun you used to have testing the 'blue screen' built into any Microsoft operating system.
  • Reply 3 of 239
    What PC users don't understand is that it's not about having every feature under the sun, it's about having very well perfected features. Apple has refined their operating system and took out all the crap that isn't really good. What we're left with is an OS that is overall more efficient and easier to use.

An all-you-can-eat buffet has everything under the sun. You can eat just about whatever you want. However, the food isn't great. If I want a good steak, I wouldn't go there to get it.
  • Reply 4 of 239
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    How dare they
  • Reply 5 of 239
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    My 2 cents. Bought a Mac 12 years ago on a dare and have not turned back. Hated the things until I used one. So, guess I am a converted fan boy.

With that, I don't think that when you have an inferior experience (IMO) that you can toss rocks and have them hurt, it only provides free advertising.

And at the same time, I really hope the next rev of the Macbook Pro has blue ray, and a great graphics card. The kids are playing starcraft II and I am a bit behind graphics wise.
  • Reply 6 of 239
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

So Microsoft is standing behind their product and trying to show the benefits compared to their closest competitor. Apple does the same exact thing, as stated in the article, so not sure how this is news. This is the same campaign Microsoft has been running for a while now.

I think the "news" portion is the fact that there's a new website component that attempts to describe all these advantages, rather than dish them out piecemeal in various advertisements, etc. Basically, it's a new consolidated repository to that ongoing campaign.

Good for Microsoft. Strong competition drives innovation.

That said, I am very happy with my new Mac mini (which replaced a four-year-old MacBook).
  • Reply 7 of 239
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    The most laughable part of it is the,

"Macs can take time to learn," "Macs don't work as well at work or school".

I learned how to use a Mac when I was a kid by myself, in the 80's and it was the MS command line BS that I could not get...before Windows.

I use a iMac at work on Win network currently, and used them all the time in HS and college.

What a load of pathetic crap their pulling.
  • Reply 8 of 239
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    But...I don't want a PC. I don't want a blu-ray player. I don't want a TV tuner etc etc. I just want a computer that works. Can't tell you how many times I've looked at the infuriating PC my employer insists I use and said aloud "if I had a Mac, I'd be done by now."
  • Reply 9 of 239
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

But...I don't want a PC. I don't want a blu-ray player. I don't want a TV tuner etc etc. I just want a computer that works. Can't tell you how many times I've looked at the infuriating PC my employer insists I use and said aloud "if I had a Mac, I'd be done by now."

Dude... I have said that myself.. hilarious.
  • Reply 10 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

My 2 cents. Bought a Mac 12 years ago on a dare and have not turned back. Hated the things until I used one. So, guess I am a converted fan boy.

With that, I don't think that when you have an inferior experience (IMO) that you can toss rocks and have them hurt, it only provides free advertising.

And at the same time, I really hope the next rev of the Macbook Pro has blue ray, and a great graphics card. The kids are playing starcraft II and I am a bit behind graphics wise.

I doubt about Blu-ray, but I think we'll get ATI for the next Macs.
  • Reply 11 of 239
    MS should open a retail store or two!
  • Reply 12 of 239
    mdcatmdcat Posts: 79member
    ...and all the viruses you can imagine!

Windows 1...

Still a work in progress
  • Reply 13 of 239
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

MS should open a retail store or two!

• Reply 14 of 239
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I love my Mac TV tuner. The fact that it shipped in a different box bothers me little
  • Reply 15 of 239
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by astrubhar View Post

What PC users don't understand is that it's not about having every feature under the sun, it's about having very well perfected features.

Absolutely correct. The lack of Blu-Ray makes the Mac BETTER, as does Steve not putting any card readers on them.
  • Reply 16 of 239
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypoluxa View Post

"Macs can take time to learn," "Macs don't work as well at work or school".

Since when?! Using a Mac can be much more productive that using windows, and only if you count "a couple hours" as time to learn is this true.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypoluxa View Post

What a load of pathetic crap their pulling.

It's not like it's the first time..
  • Reply 17 of 239
    woofpupwoofpup Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Absolutely correct. The lack of Blu-Ray makes the Mac BETTER, as does Steve not putting any card readers on them.

Ah but they do have SD card readers in many of the models now... but if you just have to have built-in Sony Memory Stick card readers (which I feel Microsoft was trying to mislead by mentioning as simple "Memory Stick"), then you're out of luck. :P
  • Reply 18 of 239
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    VIRUS

SPYWARE

TROJAN

BOTNET

CRAPPY USER EXPERIENCE

CRASHES

BUGS

CRAPPY APPS

Yes I'm talking about Android. the Windows of Mobile.
  • Reply 19 of 239
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

The newest Mac mini has a slot for SD/SDHC/SDXC cards.

However, Blu-ray still remains a big bag of pain.

• Reply 20 of 239
    rmankermanke Posts: 5member
    It says on Microsoft site that "spreadsheets may not calculate properly" on the Mac.

Are they serious that they are trying to convince people there are bugs in their own software?

If my MS Office on the Mac can't calculate properly I guess I should find another spreadsheet?

I guess I need to switch back to Windows so I can be confident that my spreadsheet can calculate properly.

This is F.U.D. to the N'th degree.