Microsoft site attempts to discourage PC users from switching to Mac

Comments

• Reply 61 of 239
    MS spent all this time, effort, and money to create and put up a web site promoting information that pretty much everyone knows already (minus the absurd misinformation such as a Mac's learning curve and usability at work and school). This proves only one thing. MS doesn't get it. Steve Ballmer doesn't get it.

If they really want to hurt Mac sales, they need to figure out and understand who and why (in some cases) are these people choosing Macs over PCs. They need to decide whether or not they can or should compete in that market and if so, how. If they can't compete, they need to simply focus on their niche and service that niche the best way possible. Problem with Microsoft, their product is the OS and they have little if any control over the rest of the system.

Apple on the other hand has a fantastic OS built into an environment that, for the most part, oozes quality and refinement, from hardware to customer support to the entire Apple ecosystem.

This is the same situation when you look at why people are willing to spend hundreds of dollars on designer jeans when they can get a pair of Levis for $40... and Levis aren't Walmart jeans even. Should Levis compete with True Religion, Sevens or even Diesels? I mean, you would never see Levi Strauss & Co tell people that Levi jeans will function as well as Rock and Republic jeans at a lower price. That's information we already know.

Steve Ballmer's problem is he wants people to see Windows as "the high end" when it all depends on the hardware Windows is associated with. Even with high end PCs, people will ask themselves, "Why would I spend a premium on a high end PC when a cheaper one will suffice. I'm gonna upgrade in a year anyway." However, when people decide to switch from a PC to a Mac, they're looking for something entirely different and new, something they will keep for a while.

Now if there were a premium Windows OS that was ONLY associated with premium quality hardware with premium services not available to your typical PC...
  • Reply 62 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

MS placed a disclaimer at the end of the website. The disclaimer basically says "What we've said about Windows 7 is not entirely accurate". This reminded me of this Apple ad.

Here is the disclaimer (basically what you've said):
    • All prices are Estimated Retail Prices, actual prices may vary.

• Not all features are in all editions of Windows 7. To see which features are in each edition, please see the individual feature descriptions and this chart.

• To run Windows 7, your PC needs to meet these system requirements. Before buying Windows 7 for your PC, please run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and review these upgrade considerations.

• Some product features of Windows 7, such as the ability to watch and record live TV or navigation through the use of "touch," may require advanced or additional hardware.

• Windows Media Center DVR functionality is not available in all countries, and might require additional hardware.

• For Internet TV, you?ll need Internet access. Free Internet TV content varies by geography. Some content may require additional fees. Internet TV is available in the U.S. and U.K.

• Windows XP Mode runs only on Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate. If not pre-installed, it can be downloaded free from Microsoft.

That is Hilarious...Apple should run this on their website VERBATIM
  • Reply 63 of 239
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

The list of PCs (especially desktops) that do NOT include built-in wireless is extensive, VERY extensive. And yet they still are running Windows 7 so I don't know what you are saying about it having to be there for Windows 7 Certification.

On a funny note, There are a number of Acer notebooks that shipped with a Webcam without a built-in Microphone..... yeah, it was designed that way...... on purpose.... I know.... I know....

I stand wholeheartedly by all of my aforementioned statements, though I was a bit hasty with the WiFi issue in that it is a Windows 7 requirement for portable computers i.e. laptops, netbooks, etc., and optional on desktop computers.

Note: Though there is a requirement for an internet connection: "Internet access (fees may apply)"

On a funny note, There is an entire line of portable media/computing devices manufactured by Apple that claim to be the better of netbooks yet don't even have integrated web cameras, media card readers, USB ports, a user accessible file system, or ability to print directly from the device...

Yeah, it was designed that way...... On Purpose.... I know.... I know....
  • Reply 64 of 239
    Meh, who cares? I have a Mac, I like it, and I don't care if people switch or not.

I think it's kind of a waste of MS's money to even bother acknowledging Mac's as competition. MS already dominates the market and will for a long time to come.

MS should have spent their anti-Mac campaign dollars on building Office for Mac or something instead.
  • Reply 65 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

I stand wholeheartedly by all of my aforementioned statements, though I was a bit hasty with the WiFi issue in that it is a Windows 7 requirement for portable computers i.e. laptops, netbooks, etc., and optional on desktop computers.

Note: Though there is a requirement for an internet connection: "Internet access (fees may apply)"

On a funny note, There is an entire line of portable media/computing devices manufactured by Apple that claim to be the better of netbooks yet don't even have integrated web cameras, media card readers, USB ports, a user accessible file system, or ability to print directly from the device...

Yeah, it was designed that way...... On Purpose.... I know.... I know....

The funnier note is that Apple can't seem to keep them in stock, they were designed that way... on purpose... yeah, I know.... I know.
  • Reply 66 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sofabutt View Post

Meh, who cares? I have a Mac, I like it, and I don't care if people switch or not.

I think it's kind of a waste of MS's money to even bother acknowledging Mac's as competition. MS already dominates the market and will for a long time to come.

MS should have spent their anti-Mac campaign dollars on building Office for Mac or something instead.

Not to mention that almost every Mac User I know purchases a FULL BOX version of Windows Off the shelf, Microsoft should be kissing Apple's feet, PC users don't even buy Windows, they get it "For Free" (BTW, Microsoft makes MORE margin off the FULL BOX Retail version than they do off they OEM versions sold with PCs)
  • Reply 67 of 239
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    One of the greatest pieces of business advice I've ever heard is to know who is your enemy. Microsoft apparently now believes that Apple is their enemy.

Think about it.
  • Reply 68 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesw View Post

VIRUS

SPYWARE

TROJAN

BOTNET

CRAPPY USER EXPERIENCE

CRASHES

BUGS

CRAPPY APPS

Yes I'm talking about Android. the Windows of Mobile.

i thought maybe you were talking about this one:

Vulnerability Note VU#275247

FreeType 2 CFF font stack corruption vulnerability

Overview

FreeType 2 contains a vulnerability in the processing of CFF fonts, which may allow a remote, unauthenticated attacker to execute arbitrary code on a vulnerable system.

I. Description

FreeType is a font engine that can open and process font files. FreeType 2 includes the ability to handle a number of font types, including Compact Font Format (CFF). FreeType is used by a number of applications, including PDF readers, web browsers, and other applications. FreeType 2 contains a flaw in the handling of some CFF opcodes, which can result in stack corruption. This can allow arbitrary code execution.

This vulnerability is being used in the iPhone PDF JailBreak exploit.
  • Reply 69 of 239
    Quote:

The funnier note is that Apple can't seem to keep them in stock, they were designed that way... on purpose... yeah, I know.... I know.

Well, I certainly enjoy mine, but still hope that at least some of the 'missing functionality' is incorporated in the next version.

Apple was largely given a 'pass' on these glaring omissions this round, but next time consumers might not be so forgiving, especially at the given price points.

W'e'll See...
  • Reply 70 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

One of the greatest pieces of business advice I've ever heard is to know who is your enemy. Microsoft apparently now believes that Apple is their enemy.

Think about it.

The future battle is between Google and Apple not Microsoft.
  • Reply 71 of 239
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    MS is: Too LIttle & Too Late.
  • Reply 72 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post

Choice! PC has that. Apple doesn't, when it comes to the box. You either purchase a mini or a Pro. The iMac is the sweetest deal, but not all want the type of screen included, for whatever reason. Like Microsoft really has to go customer hunting. They pretty much already have 9 of 10.

I have an iMac now. Can't have another one unless resolution independence becomes a reality. Just how do you advise a person who wants or needs to pick their own monitor???

I won't argue the OS, just choice.

if you have seriously used both platforms then you know they both have some amount of suckitude. but my take on it is this:

what good is lots of choices if they are mostly crap. (MS and dell seem to be blind to that)

i am f****** sick of patches and viruses and hacks on Windows and 3rd party windows programs. every friggin week its a load of flaws.

Windows 7 search. what junk. Spotlight blows it so far out of the water it isn't funny. ever used search in Outlook? it sucks.

OS X ain't perfect, i seem to manage to lock it up once every couple of weeks and why the hell does safari require a reboot when patched/updated??

anywho apple just has the whole package worked out better than anyone else. mouse, keyboard, touchpad, monitors are all so well designed and each one complements the other.
  • Reply 73 of 239
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by latafairam View Post

I dont even use a bluray in my livingroom where believe I should be using it.

What do you do when you are away from your lounge and want to watch a blu-ray movie?
  • Reply 74 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

I stand wholeheartedly by all of my aforementioned statements,:

So I can't buy a BD drive for my Mac, a TV Tuner for my Mac, Office for my Mac, a custom colored iMac (http://www.colorwarepc.com/p-199-imac.aspx) (and this Whole hard disk encryption software for my Mac? (Who am I kidding, I don't need that)

I guess I'd better take all this stuff back then.

So you're saying this is all available on MOST PCs? Even touch screens?

Certainly not out of the box.

Sorry but,

All of the same restrictions apply to MOST PCs as they do for Macs in that you might have to buy them separately. Microsoft's point on this is awful, because there is NOTHING they listed on their list of things that PCs do that Macs don't that is True. You CAN do all of that on a Mac (with plenty of choice) you will just need to fork up the cash.

I'm more willing to spend money on a computer I know I will either be able to keep for 2-3 years Longer than a PC or that I can resell for a larger percentage of my initial investment.
  • Reply 75 of 239
    That is one incredibly lame set of comparisons. Let me scare you into getting a PC. Don't buy a Mac its hard to learn. You are stupid and can't learn anything new so buy a PC..
  • Reply 76 of 239
    Quote:

Elgato TV tuner can be added to a Mac for less than $60 (again don't HAVE to buy it from Apple)

The cheapest Elgato TV tuner retails for $120 in North America, that is a big discount....
  • Reply 77 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dambuster View Post

It took 3 minutes for my 3 GHz intel Quad Core machine to finally start Windows 7, note: I know about Windows maintenance and registry issues.

If the boot time takes three minutes then you have proved you know nothing about Windows maintenance or registry issues. Take it to someone that knows something about anything and get them to install it properly for you.

Quote:

Back to Windows 7, no I refuse to say it was my idea because I'd never make an OS that requires a fresh install a few times a year.

Windows 7 has been out nine months, so you are trying to say everyone has had to reload it already in that time? No? Oh, another thing you are wrong about.

Quote:

Bluray? What good is it on a laptop? Can't believe there are morons who go buy bluray just to watch it on a pc, oh wait that's so last year now that there are 3D laptops...

This may be difficult for you to understand, but some people travel, they are not at home all day, every day. Some times they want to watch a movie when they are away, and if they are a fan of quality, then they can't use an Apple product to watch blu-ray traveling.
  • Reply 78 of 239
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member
    Love the line that ends the "Simplicity" paragraph -

"They just work."

Can't even write a web page without stealing ideas from Apple.
  • Reply 79 of 239
    Quote:

So I can't buy a BD drive for my Mac, a TV Tuner for my Mac, Office for my Mac, a custom colored iMac (http://www.colorwarepc.com/p-199-imac.aspx) (and this Whole hard disk encryption software for my Mac? (Who am I kidding, I don't need that)

The only use for a blu-ray one a Mac is for data backup. If want to watch a movie then you must install Windows.

Quote:

So you're saying this is all available on MOST PCs? Even touch screens?

Dell sells a touch screen.

Quote:

I'm more willing to spend money on a computer I know I will either be able to keep for 2-3 years Longer than a PC or that I can resell for a larger percentage of my initial investment.

I know people that have PCs older than all my Macs (the oldest Mac I have is 5 years old), they are still using them, and they cost a heck of a lot less than any of my Macs. I have a five year old Toshiba laptop that I still use every so often.
  • Reply 80 of 239
    Quote:

So I can't buy a BD drive for my Mac, a TV Tuner for my Mac, Office for my Mac, a custom colored iMac (http://www.colorwarepc.com/p-199-imac.aspx)...

I never claimed that one 'could not buy' those items/features (3rd party), only that there are No Current Apple Computers On Which They Are Available From The Factory, yet there are several Windows-based computers that do offers these '' 'features' and much. much more Directly From The Factory/Manufacturer.

I hope this clears up your confusion on the matter.