Microsoft site attempts to discourage PC users from switching to Mac

Comments

• Reply 81 of 239
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by erybovic View Post

Yea fuck, can't wait to jump back. I just wasted a hour of my life trying to get a Windows 2005 XP Media Center Restore Disk from someone in India from Dell, just so I can be legit and re-install the legal/Proper way for a friend.

Windows 2005????

When I wanted the Vista 64bit Ultimate CD for my Optiplex, I sent an email to Dell in Malaysia, it turned up two days later in NZ.
  • Reply 82 of 239
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    1. No Blu-ray. Well I haven't seen any 50 inch HD computers around and that's basically the display that Blu-ray was designed for. I think I'll save drive space and stick to the free 720p digital copy that is packaged with tons of BRs these days. Looks fine and I don't have to deal with loose disks

2. no tv tuner. why would I need that when I can Netflix and Hulu nice quality files with fewer ads and no tags etc. Oh for sports. well that's what the local pub is for. Especially when they do half price chicken wings and nachos to go with the $1 well drinks.

3. No 3g. Well there's like zero companies offering you unlimited inexpensive or better yet free 3g. but pretty much any coffee shop, bookstore or school campus has the free hook up.

4. You have to learn a Mac. Well heck you have to learn a PC also. And you won't find anyone that is offering you a year of tutoring, workshops, etc for $100.

5. They don't play nice at school. I started using Macs at school. The only lab on campus that wasn't all Macs was the engineering lab and they actually just switched it over this past year according to my alumni newsletter. Not to mention how many schools have we heard are now offering students the choice of an ipad or a Macbook Pro when they start classes. Why would they offer that and not say an HP or Dell if Macs are so not school friendly

6. they don't play nice at work. Fewer viruses and malware, built in multiuser log in systems, Remote desktop software created by Apple, Server software created by Apple (that even includes things like wiki support) and so on. Yeah they suck for work.

7. Fewer software options. that's falling apart fast. Even Microsoft has Office for the Mac. And with companies like Steam stepping up on the games front that wall is falling. Not to mention being able to split your drive and put on windows if there's something you really really need that is Windows only, like the real estate systems

8. Fewer Hardware options. Most consumers don't know the difference between GT, ATI or whatever. They don't understand what makes SSD so awesome or when a 7200 RPM hard drive is way better than a 5400. All they care about is that it works. Too many choices just freaks them out. Not to mention makes it hella harder to debug, update, repair etc. That Apple gets around a lot of this by limiting choices for many is a huge plus

need I go on
  • Reply 83 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

One of the greatest pieces of business advice I've ever heard is to know who is your enemy. Microsoft apparently now believes that Apple is their enemy.

Think about it.

apple isn't the enemy. microsoft is their own worst enemy. they need to quit worrying about whose doing what and work on making great products. thats what apple does. thats why they get so pissed off when other companies steal ideas. if you make great products people will come to you...
  • Reply 84 of 239
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

1. No Blu-ray. Well I haven't seen any 50 inch HD computers around and that's basically the display that Blu-ray was designed for. I think I'll save drive space and stick to the free 720p digital copy that is packaged with tons of BRs these days. Looks fine and I don't have to deal with loose disks

Where are you getting 720p digital copies of movies with your Blu-ray movies? The ones I have gotten are all SD (around 850x350)

And if you have loose disks, then you should get something to help you tighten them yo,

Quote:

2. no tv tuner. why would I need that when I can Netflix and Hulu nice quality files with fewer ads and no tags etc. Oh for sports. well that's what the local pub is for. Especially when they do half price chicken wings and nachos to go with the $1 well drinks.

Maybe people that don't live in the US are interested in them (you know, the other 95% of the worlds population)

Quote:

7. Fewer software options. that's falling apart fast. Even Microsoft has Office for the Mac. And with companies like Steam stepping up on the games front that wall is falling. Not to mention being able to split your drive and put on windows if there's something you really really need that is Windows only, like the real estate systems

need I go on

Yeah, you do, steam performance is terrible on a Mac, and you try to say there is no issues with Mac software, and then say you need Windows for all the software that still isn't available on the Mac. Were you trying to make a point?
  • Reply 85 of 239
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polar315 View Post

That is one incredibly lame set of comparisons. Let me scare you into getting a PC. Don't buy a Mac its hard to learn. You are stupid and can't learn anything new so buy a PC..

How is this any worse than Apple's previous advertising 'scare' tactics of saying:

"Buy A Mac, It Doesn't Get Viruses" - Untrue... plain and simple (just far fewer).

"Buy A Mac, It's Easier To Use" - Highly Subjective/Unproven

"Buy A Mac, It's So Easy To Transfer Your Files" - Only if the programs you're using have Mac equivalents (which many don't given Windows' exponentially larger software library).

"Buy A Mac, It's Doesn't Crash" - Except on those rare occasions that it completely corrupts you Guest Accounts.

"Buy a Mac, There So Reliable" - Except when hard drives start to whine and grind, screens start to crack/separate etc.

...and on... and on... With Apple's 'lame set of comparisons' that, as one who has been using/owning both Macs and Windows-based computers for well over 15 years, still stand completely unsubstantiated.

Note: When It Comes To BS Rhetoric, You Really Can't Have It Both Ways...
  • Reply 86 of 239
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

apple isn't the enemy. microsoft is their own worst enemy. they need to quit worrying about whose doing what and work on making great products. thats what apple does. thats why they get so pissed off when other companies steal ideas. if you make great products people will come to you...

Microsoft has no shortage of customers.
  • Reply 87 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

apple isn't the enemy. microsoft is their own worst enemy. they need to quit worrying about whose doing what and work on making great products.

Yep. In many ways, all this Apple bashing just comes off like they are scared. And then folks wonder if it is with good reason
  • Reply 88 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

One of the greatest pieces of business advice I've ever heard is to know who is your enemy. Microsoft apparently now believes that Apple is their enemy.

Think about it.

Truer words have never been spoken.
  • Reply 89 of 239
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Given the overwhelming/deserved success of Windows 7, in addition to MS Office still standing as the de-facto productivity suite on the planet, they really don't need to do too much 'persuading'

Even still, it's a fine way to debunk all of the (often) false propaganda spread via the 'I'm A Mac' ads

Another brainwashed idiot troll. Windows 7 can hardly be called an "overwhelming/deserved success" when you already have 90% of the market and people are switching over from a 9 year old OS. I'd call it more an act of desperation. Further, Office is a bloated pig of a program suite that if there were a good alternative people would gladly switch to. Market dominance in this case hardly equals success, especially when you got there through illegal and anti-competitive behavior. As far as false propaganda, open your eyes. It is MSFT's MO.
  • Reply 90 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

However, Blu-ray still remains a big bag of pain.

I hear Norton, McAfee, and Avast come bundled on Blu-Ray now. For many customers, the addition of Blu-Ray is a life saver...
  • Reply 91 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Yeah, you do, steam performance is terrible on a Mac,

I haven't had any trouble nor have any of my friends that have been using it. Mind you we are on pretty new systems. Well over the basic specs

Quote:

and then say you need Windows for all the software that still isn't available on the Mac.

Many software needs can be covered by other titles but yes in a few rare occasions there are programs that do not exist in a Mac form. US realtors, for example, use a listing system that has been around for an easy decade and is Windows only. I believe that Westlaw and Lexis-Nexis are both still Windows only (use by legal professionals). and there are perhaps a half dozen more very exclusive systems that are Windows only.
  • Reply 92 of 239
    Quote:

I've personally dealt with this very situation several times (doing volunteer work with both the homeless and the elderly), and the truth is they're equally as perplexing in most cases, but due to Windows 7 having somewhat more clearly defined/labeled shortcuts/icons, those with no computer experience whatsoever typically find it/Windows a bit easier to understand... as well as more fun overall.

Again, that's merely my 'personal' experience.

ROFLOL - what a tool you are! What an absolutely BS statement! My 3 year old couldn't disagree more!!!!!! Shill and troll extraordinaire.
  • Reply 93 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Microsoft has no shortage of customers.

i have no one coming to my office to ask for windows machines cuz they want them. they use them cuz the corporation says so. on the other hand, i turn away people wanting macs almost daily. MS is still the big dog, but so was Novell, so was CP/M. so was IBM. thats what ms is afraid of. they know what is possible if you sit on your ass with the 'we can't lose' attitude. you go the way of the dodo.
  • Reply 94 of 239
    Quote:

Conversely:

Most PCs Don't have Blu-Ray drives... but BD can be added at minimal cost (often in the US 100 to 200.00 area on laptops and less for external units), Apple offers no such option(s).

Most PCs Don't have TV tuner's built i... See Above, but even less expensive.

Most PCs Don't ship with Office installed on them... Actually, most Windows & computers (even netbooks) come pre-loaded with MS Works + MS Word, and have 60 day trial versions of the full MS Office Home/Office Suite.

Most PCs Don't have a powerful enough video card to play many games... Yet, most PSc do have video processors fully capable of running Windows Aero, which exceeds the demands of many lower/mid-range games. Conclusion: you're incorrect here as well.

Most PCs Don't really give you an option on color other than black... You've apparently not shopped outside of Apple in quite sometime, because ALL of the major PC manufacturers (Hp, Dell, Gateway, Acer, et al) offer a wide range of color options, and have for many, many years.

Most PCs Don't ship with Windows Ultimate so they cannot encrypt the hard disk... To the vast majority of computer users this is not an issue, and Windows 7 incorporates strong enough security measures as to render any user concerns essentially moot. For enterprise demands, Windows 7 Ultimate makes sense, for all others, not so much.

Most PCs Don't have touch screens... But for those who do desire touchscreen functionality, they have several optionsall the way from netbooks (Lenovo S10-3t) to AIO desktops from Sony, Hp, Lenovo, and many others.

Most PCs Don't ship with built-in wireless... FACT: There is not a single PC that comes with preinstalled Windows 7 (even Starter) that does not have integrated wireless connection as it's part of the specification/requirement to be Windows 7 certified.

So Now You Know...

Hey DaHarder - please go spew your total bullshit somewhere else you troll and paid shill.
  • Reply 95 of 239
    coolcatcoolcat Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Couldn't agree more, M$ bashing macs on their own site will only make people more curious about them and look on apples own site to gather as much information as they can find.

I'll bet a years rent it was fat assed Balmers idea for this stupid ass website......God I can't believe anyone can be SOOOO stupid and still wield power...if you can call running Microshaft power...
  • Reply 96 of 239
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sofabutt View Post

Meh, who cares? I have a Mac, I like it, and I don't care if people switch or not.

I think it's kind of a waste of MS's money to even bother acknowledging Mac's as competition. MS already dominates the market and will for a long time to come.

MS should have spent their anti-Mac campaign dollars on building Office for Mac or something instead.

The article suggests that they're trying to convince people to stay with their platform. Many of the talking points seem to be worded that way.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

Not to mention that almost every Mac User I know purchases a FULL BOX version of Windows Off the shelf, Microsoft should be kissing Apple's feet, PC users don't even buy Windows, they get it "For Free" (BTW, Microsoft makes MORE margin off the FULL BOX Retail version than they do off they OEM versions sold with PCs)

Maybe, maybe not, I'm not sure about that anymore. OEM copies of Windows Home edition reputedly only cost $40 a piece to the large volume sellers. The retail price of Home on Newegg is $99. For OEM copies, the computer seller is required to support the OS, for retail box copies, Microsoft provides phone support. It's hard to tell how much farther ahead they get with retail copies

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

I know people that have PCs older than all my Macs (the oldest Mac I have is 5 years old), they are still using them, and they cost a heck of a lot less than any of my Macs. I have a five year old Toshiba laptop that I still use every so often.

I've not seen surveys that showed how long people kept their computers by brand, anecdotes aren't data. However, your experiences are somewhat like mine. My parent's Compaq home notebook was 9 years old before I gave them a replacement. I'm still using a 7 year old Compaq notebook, though only attached to a laser engraver. I maintain several x86 workstations 6+ years old and they still run fine. There is a different limit though, a few of them have Windows 2000, which has irritations in the network logon, and it doesn't seem worth upgrading the Windows license. I run a few Macs too, anything from that general era was PPC and it just doesn't seem worth using PPC Macs anymore. But my first generation Mac Pro is still running strong.
  • Reply 97 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Hey DaHarder - please go spew your total bullshit somewhere else you troll and paid shill.

Relax, he doesn't like Microsoft anymore than you do. It's just that the fanboism upsets his stomach.
  • Reply 98 of 239
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    MS seems to have this strange fetish for failure and embarrassment.
  • Reply 99 of 239
    Quote:

I stand wholeheartedly by all of my aforementioned statements, though I was a bit hasty with the WiFi issue in that it is a Windows 7 requirement for portable computers i.e. laptops, netbooks, etc., and optional on desktop computers.

Note: Though there is a requirement for an internet connection: "Internet access (fees may apply)"

On a funny note, There is an entire line of portable media/computing devices manufactured by Apple that claim to be the better of netbooks yet don't even have integrated web cameras, media card readers, USB ports, a user accessible file system, or ability to print directly from the device...

Yeah, it was designed that way...... On Purpose.... I know.... I know....

You are truly an idiot! And in just a few short weeks Apple has sold more of them than the entire 9 years of sales for microsucks tablet PC. Go figure! I guess Apple misread the market, and microsucks was spot on. You are looking dumber and dumber with each of your posts.
  • Reply 100 of 239
    Quote:

How is this any worse than Apple's previous advertising 'scare' tactics of saying:

"Buy A Mac, It Doesn't Get Viruses" - Untrue... plain and simple (just far fewer).

"Buy A Mac, It's Easier To Use" - Highly Subjective/Unproven

"Buy A Mac, It's So Easy To Transfer Your Files" - Only if the programs you're using have Mac equivalents (which many don't given Windows' exponentially larger software library).

"Buy A Mac, It's Doesn't Crash" - Except on those rare occasions that it completely corrupts you Guest Accounts.

"Buy a Mac, There So Reliable" - Except when hard drives start to whine and grind, screens start to crack/separate etc.

...and on... and on... With Apple's 'lame set of comparisons' that, as one who has been using/owning both Macs and Windows-based computers for well over 15 years, still stand completely unsubstantiated.

Note: When It Comes To BS Rhetoric, You Really Can't Have It Both Ways...

ROFLOL - you are hysterical! You should really do standup comedy!!!!!!