iPad, Mac, iPhone growth potential seen to propel Apple stock to $375

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

This one never grows old, does it?

(Hail, P. T. Barnum!)

PS: This is in reply to Dr Millmoss above.

I don't assume that anyone is a sucker or is necessarily trying to make someone else into a sucker, but it's clear that not everyone understands how equities work. But I do happen to have a one last bridge in my inventory which I'd be willing to sell at the right price.
  • Reply 22 of 49
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I am just waiting for $500
  • Reply 23 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

At 500.00 I do believe I would retire.
  • Reply 23 of 49
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

However, I'd like to think it is because of a stock split. What is the history of stock splits? Does Steve have some absolute price and PE in mind before he considers a stock split? Does Google's share price, a la no stock split, make him reluctant to do so? Also, are there enough shares voted in to declare a stock split, without having to vote some more (which would presage such an event, and often serve as a prophetic, and profitable sign)?

Splits: Jun 16, 1987 [2:1], Jun 21, 2000 [2:1], Feb 28, 2005 [2:1]

Source: Yahoo Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=AAPL+Basic+Chart&t=my)

Apple used to try to keep the stock around $50 a share. In recent years, it doesn't appear that Apple has any interest in splitting the stock. They have provided no explanation.

I don't even recall what happened at the last split. I assume that I received a proxy ballot to approve the 2-for-1 split, but I don't remember. If I did vote, I'm sure it was to approve the split.

In any case, institutional investors own the majority of outstanding AAPL shares. There are relatively few retailer investors like me and our voices don't count for much. Also, I doubt if Steve really cares what Google does with their stock.
  • Reply 25 of 49
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Splits have zero impact on shareholder value, and zero impact on P/E. They do nothing for anyone who is capable of buying even one share. Pardon the analogy, but if you take an apple and cut it into four quarters, you have four quarters of one apple, not four apples.

This is mostly true, however lower share prices drive transaction activity and volatility. This is one reason why Buffett split Class B Berkshire Hathaway shares (BRK-B) fifty-to-one. Increased trading volume allowed Berkshire-Hathaway to be invited to join the S&P 500 and thus, to be included in many more index funds and ETFs.
  • Reply 26 of 49
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

And it won't be the end of it. Lucky the ones who bought the shares in the early 90ies.
  • Reply 27 of 49
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

At 500.00 I do believe I would retire.

From your post I have to assume, that you are around 64, unless you opt for early retirement. In any case I wish you luck with your shares. And a happy retirement
  • Reply 28 of 49
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:

Splits have zero impact on shareholder value, and zero impact on P/E. They do nothing for anyone who is capable of buying even one share. Pardon the analogy, but if you take an apple and cut it into four quarters, you have four quarters of one apple, not four apples.

I think you misunderstood me. There is ample evidence to refute your assertion that splits have no impact on shareholder value -- in the long run (they, of course, have no impact, at split, on the owner's stock valuation, or PE). Stocks, on balance, however, tend to go up post split (after the initial post split volatility), and this tends to be the result of company and investor confidence in continued share appreciation (no company in its right mind would do a normal split in a declining expectation market). However, in recent years (since the go-go days pre-dot.com meltdown) companies seem to be content in letting the price ride up, without trying to resort to splits to increase investor interest. (also, trading fees have come down so much as to make odd lot trades the norm, so trading a few shares of Google, instead of 100 share lots, does not impact your trading costs too much).

Anyhow, others have suggested that Steve is less concerned these days with the absolute stock price, and I was suggesting that allowing Apple to go up in the stratosphere, like Google, will not significantly impact trading activity, and may be the plan all along. Also, knowing whether there is treasury stock to float such a split gives a hint of a potential split, since you have to have this stock voted and in place before you can execute a standard split.

My comparison to Google has to do with the usual competition and Silly Valley machoism at stake, and I'll bet Steve would just as soon let Apple get higher than Google - sooner rather than later. Look how Google's unsustainable PE has declined, as Apple's has tended to stay the same (I'm guessing). Apple is a bargain PE, by the way, if you believe historical comparisons for a high tech company, and we all hope it stays low, as the stock climbs to the stratosphere - right?
  • Reply 29 of 49
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Is it too late to get in?

No. Still loads of growth potential.
  • Reply 30 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

This is mostly true, however lower share prices drive transaction activity and volatility. This is one reason why Buffett split Class B Berkshire Hathaway shares (BRK-B) fifty-to-one. Increased trading volume allowed Berkshire-Hathaway to be invited to join the S&P 500 and thus, to be included in many more index funds and ETFs.

My original statement holds true, especially given your example of a stock in which a single share was selling something north of $4,000 before the split, as I recall.
  • Reply 31 of 49
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    In case it wasn't quantified yet, $375/share at the current number of shares gives AAPL a market cap of $342.6 billion. That is $24 billion over the current world leader, Exxon (XOM). It's certainly possible, but I have to wonder if another 115 points in 12 months is a little bullish.
  • Reply 32 of 49
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

In case it was quantified yet, $375/share at the current number of shares gives AAPL a market cap of $342.6 billion. That is $24 billion over the current world leader, Exxon (XOM). It's certainly possible, but I have to wonder if another 115 points in 12 months is a little bullish.

Yeah... I'm kind of in the same boat. Every time I ask myself "how many shares would I have to own to make $1MM?" I get burned...

I almost seriously consider doing really stupid things like selling 60 $250/Jan12 Puts and buying 60 $250 Calls. Invest $36,000 cash, and you too could be a millionaire! (OK, so you do need to have another $100k in the account in cash or equities to be able to do it...)

As much as I do believe Apple will be well over $350 in 12 months, I'll try and not get too greedy this time around.
  • Reply 33 of 49
    Quote:

In case it was quantified yet, $375/share at the current number of shares gives AAPL a market cap of $342.6 billion. That is $24 billion over the current world leader, Exxon (XOM). It's certainly possible, but I have to wonder if another 115 points in 12 months is a little bullish.

Yeah, I am with you on that.
  • Reply 34 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

That is an exceptional case of a stock that was trading in the thousands, and Buffett needed to be able to use stock as a medium of exchange in his acquisition of BNSF, the railroad company. Not at all the norm.
  • Reply 35 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

I think you misunderstood me. There is ample evidence to refute your assertion that splits have no impact on shareholder value -- in the long run (they, of course, have no impact, at split, on the owner's stock valuation, or PE). Stocks, on balance, however, tend to go up post split (after the initial post split volatility), and this tends to be the result of company and investor confidence in continued share appreciation (no company in its right mind would do a normal split in a declining expectation market). However, in recent years (since the go-go days pre-dot.com meltdown) companies seem to be content in letting the price ride up, without trying to resort to splits to increase investor interest. (also, trading fees have come down so much as to make odd lot trades the norm, so trading a few shares of Google, instead of 100 share lots, does not impact your trading costs too much).

Anyhow, others have suggested that Steve is less concerned these days with the absolute stock price, and I was suggesting that allowing Apple to go up in the stratosphere, like Google, will not significantly impact trading activity, and may be the plan all along. Also, knowing whether there is treasury stock to float such a split gives a hint of a potential split, since you have to have this stock voted and in place before you can execute a standard split.

My comparison to Google has to do with the usual competition and Silly Valley machoism at stake, and I'll bet Steve would just as soon let Apple get higher than Google - sooner rather than later. Look how Google's unsustainable PE has declined, as Apple's has tended to stay the same (I'm guessing). Apple is a bargain PE, by the way, if you believe historical comparisons for a high tech company, and we all hope it stays low, as the stock climbs to the stratosphere - right?

Yes, you can create short-term churn by any number of bogus means, but anyone who believes that splits increase shareholder value in any way, is gaga. I doubt very seriously that Steve or anyone on the board is interested in trying to "beat" GOOG's share price. That's a ludicrous exercise, and one I'd like to believe that the smart people running Apple would think likewise. The reason AAPL is not being split is that the current share price does not meaningfully impede even the smallest investors from buying in.

As for P/E, it is a reflection of investor sentiment about future earnings growth rates. Lower is by no means necessarily better.

As far as the future is concerned, I never guess.
  • Reply 36 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

The business adoption of the iPad really is huge and something that apple-haters simply cannot wrap their heads around. Android tablets won't be as popular with business because of security concerns and Windows tablets are... Windows tablets. The only potential competitor here is an HP/Palm tablet, but it will take a while for HP to gain credibility with that (if they ever can).

Regarding halo effects -- I think there are mutually reinforcing halo effects going on at this point. Executives are now accustomed to iPhones and MacBook Pros, so the iPad doesn't seem so exotic to them. And then once iPads invade, it will make Macs more appealing, and so forth. Virtuous cycle for apple.

Do you have any eveidence of business adoption of the iPad? Links with real data? We have exactly one executive that brought his iPad into work.

It struggled to get on our WPA2 wireless network. Watching him type in the key was pretty dam funny since it must be 25+ characters long. We had to shut off our Cisco Clean Access box for his floor just so it would work (nice security) and even then it kept dropping off the network.

That lasted a whole half a day and we have not seen it again.
  • Reply 37 of 49
    Quote:

In case it wasn't quantified yet, $375/share at the current number of shares gives AAPL a market cap of $342.6 billion. That is $24 billion over the current world leader, Exxon (XOM). It's certainly possible, but I have to wonder if another 115 points in 12 months is a little bullish.

Someone is going to make a killing shorting this stuff if it ever hits that high. The tumble will be UGLY.
  • Reply 38 of 49
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

Someone is going to make a killing shorting this stuff if it ever hits that high. The tumble will be UGLY.

Or, Someone is going to get killed shorting this stuff if it ever hits that high. When AAPL continues past $375 per share, the shorts will be destroyed.
  • Reply 39 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

And your reasoning for this is what, exactly?
  • Reply 40 of 49
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:

Yes, you can create short-term churn by any number of bogus means, but anyone who believes that splits increase shareholder value in any way, is gaga. I doubt very seriously that Steve or anyone on the board is interested in trying to "beat" GOOG's share price. That's a ludicrous exercise, and one I'd like to believe that the smart people running Apple would think likewise. The reason AAPL is not being split is that the current share price does not meaningfully impede even the smallest investors from buying in.

As for P/E, it is a reflection of investor sentiment about future earnings growth rates. Lower is by no means necessarily better.

As far as the future is concerned, I never guess.

You don't seem to be able to parse my words correctly, so let me elaborate:

No one splits a stock to cause churn (where did you infer this - not from me). You have neglected decades of known research that clearly shows a direct correlation - OVER TIME, not immediately, in shareholder value increases and stock splits (this makes sense, because only companies that have faith in their future earnings potential tend to be the ones that split shares, with the notable exception of recent years following the dot.com bust. I've been investing and trading for 52 years - yes 52 years, have traded in mutual funds since 1971, and actively traded on the internet since the mid to late 90's, and many spendid research houses (such as the "Right Line Split Report", "Market Logic", and others have seen this tendency. Don't wish to continue the debate, but it is real, quantifiable, and tangible.

As for PE ratios, much debate exists as to its proper use, and PE as it is usually connoted is the HISTORICAL PE (price/past earnings), not so called forward PE ratios. As a former accountant, I am well aware you can play around with the numbers on earnings from GAAP numbers, present value numbers, pro forma numbers, etc, etc, and remove anything you like if you rationalize it being non-recurring. Anyhow, the PE is only useful (in my opinion, and in the opinion of most investors) if you compare Apples to Apples (sorry bout that), ie. compare within like companies in like markets - difficult to do sometimes, particularly if there are few direct competitors. As you intimated, you may "award" a company with a higher PE if you think their future earnings will be better than a competitor.

In a listless market like this one (volatile but almost directionless as this is), and in an almost disinflationary market, PE's of most companies tend to go down, so my take on Apple's low PE makes me comfortable that they will have no problem sustaining the growth, compared to historical PE's for like companies. Since earnings in such an environment as now tend to go directly to the bottom line, low inflationary (borderline disinflatinary) markets tend to be markets better suited for investment (unless we go into true deflationary times - gad, hope not).

Ferchrissakes, the PE of Apple is little more than more staid companies, and would be much higher, if this market was on fire. I just believe that keeping Apple's stock price rising, without splits, is OK now, and, as you mentioned, not of much concern to the average Joe Investor (assuming he is logical - lots of folks don't know or care about PE, and will set an artificial price point, above which they have no intention of buying - even a share (my sister is this way, and no amount of education can make her consider a stock with such a "high" stock price, even though she intellectually knows full well about PE ratios. Stock splits usually appeal to this type of investor, even though it shouldn't matter.

I still think Steve Jobs would love to have a stock price higher than Google's (with comparable PE's, of course). If you don't think he got a kick out of the whole Apple vs Microsoft market valuation thingie, then you have a much different opinion of him than I. That little milestone must have felt good to him, don't you think, even though the party line made him pooh pooh the obvious implications. Lots of folks have pointed out the illogic of direct comparisons here, but the average investor lumps Apple in the same high tech arena as Microsoft, Google, IBM, Cisco, HP, etc., and thus these companies tend to get compared all the time.