Microsoft site attempts to discourage PC users from switching to Mac

Comments

• Reply 121 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Because the OS needs to have extra support for Blu-ray which Windows has, and OS X doesn't.

Then how come Microsoft itself doesn't include a BluRay Player?

http://www.windows7news.com/2009/03/...u-ray-support/
  • Reply 122 of 239
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

That is your thought. People might not like Balmer, but it is a strange thing to call him stupid, when he is in charge on one of the largest companies in the world. He might not have the same thoughts as others (ie 99% of the people here), but the guy is far from stupid, and he has achieved a lot more than most of the people here.

Which was what, exactly?
  • Reply 123 of 239
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:

Because the OS needs to have extra support for Blu-ray which Windows has, and OS X doesn't.

Personally, on my iMac 27/i7 I use MakeMKV as a workaround for this 'issue'.
  • Reply 124 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Which was what, exactly?

His net worth is 14.5 billion. He is also running one of the largest most powerful tech companies in the world. Can you say that?
  • Reply 125 of 239
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Not true. People played Blu-Ray in XP before there's even 7. All you need is just a program that support it.
  • Reply 126 of 239
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webraider View Post

Then how come Microsoft itself doesn't include a BluRay Player?

http://www.windows7news.com/2009/03/...u-ray-support/

Well reading the article you linked to, I would say this is the reason...

Quote:

Adding Blu-Ray support to Windows would increase costs of the operating system by about $30

Why charge everyone for the cost when you only need to charge the people wanting the support?
  • Reply 127 of 239
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Not true. People played Blu-Ray in XP before there's even 7. All you need is just a program that support it.

You need driver support, and since Apple is the only supplier of the marjority of drivers, then you need Apples support as well.
  • Reply 128 of 239
    The Mac sale lately show the influx of former PC owners. I for one never thought to buy a Mac, never want to use a Mac.. until iPhone come. In the near future I see I'll have a few Mac products in my house. A few iPhones for me and my wife, MBP for me, and iPad for my wife.

Still need to retain a PC for entertainment system. Couldn't do without and there's nothing in Mac world I can replace it with.

As a PC owner, I know the grass on the other side ain't not always greener but then again even the latest Windows can frustrate you: The files you copied to another folder didn't show and need refreshing viewing, The backup can't be complted even when there's 30% more spaces than what you're backing up..etc.

Still I'm not sure why the heck, on Mac, the program is *not* closed when you hit the red circle though.
  • Reply 129 of 239
    Quote:

You need driver support, and since Apple is the only supplier of the marjority of drivers, then you need Apples support as well.

Meh, drive is drive. It just acts like a DVD drive until you have a program that understand Blu-Ray file structure.

And in your case the manufacturer's driver will do. No need for OS support at all. Otherwise you simply can not play Blu-Ray on XP.
  • Reply 130 of 239
    tommcintommcin Posts: 108member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macsyrinx View Post

From the site:

"If you use Apple's productivity suite, sharing files with PC users can be tricky. Your documents might not look right and your spreadsheets might not calculate correctly"

I believe they mean if you use Apple Numbers and import an Excel file things may not work properly.

That's assuming they were able to get the right calculation in Excel and they did not have to worry about some VB Macro virus sneaking into your spread sheet.
  • Reply 131 of 239
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[SIZE="3"]

Example: Just because they've sold a certain quantity of something, doesn't make it superior.

That's for sure ...... windows market share proves that!
  • Reply 132 of 239
    MS's strategy is asinine. They got bitch slapped by those Get a Mac ad for years and most importantly they are losing mind share with young people, so they feel a need to respond. Why does a 800lb gorilla with 90% of the market need to respond to any competitor? Does Coke respond to Pepsi? Pepsi is the perennial number 2. They are the upstart rebel. Coke keeps on chugging along doing whats best for them. It makes MS look very insecure of their position. Like the lion has become afraid of the mouse. Granted this mouse may be radioactive. Fighting over percentage points makes sense when the competiton is very close. Not the case here. They own the market. Fighting over a few lost sales for a company of MS's size and dominance makes them look crass.
  • Reply 133 of 239
    gary54gary54 Posts: 169member
    "Hassle-free files at work.

Apple's productivity suite file formats won't open in Microsoft Office on PCs. This can be a real hassle for Mac users sharing work documents with PC users."

It's Microsofts choice not to make their office suite compatible with the Apple's software. Apple makes theirs compatible with MS office. That's been part of MS hegemony strategy for years. Just like Front Page and Publisher. Thy create web pages which work perfectly in IE but nothing else. Then its the browsers fault. errrr .. No.

The usual spin doctoring at its worst and gullible people bite it.
  • Reply 134 of 239
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    MS doth protest too much, methinks.
  • Reply 135 of 239
    Quote:

Still I'm not sure why the heck, on Mac, the program is *not* closed when you hit the red circle though.

Just because you want to close the window in which you are working (writing a letter, perhaps) doesn't mean you want to quit the application you were using to write that letter.... you may, in fact, want to write a second letter, using the same application .... that's why the red button doesn't close the application. It's the Mac way ... you'll get used to it ... trust me.
  • Reply 136 of 239
    Blu-Ray? The proper term is "bag of hurt"

Microsoft cares so much about it, they've made it standard on every PS3. Oh wait.
  • Reply 137 of 239
    gary54gary54 Posts: 169member
    Quote:

Ummm ...

http://eshop.macsales.com/Search/Sea...66&Ntt=blu+ray
  • Reply 138 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Just because you want to close the window in which you are working (writing a letter, perhaps) doesn't mean you want to quit the application you were using to write that letter.... you may, in fact, want to write a second letter, using the same application .... that's why the red button doesn't close the application. It's the Mac way ... you'll get used to it ... trust me.

I see.

I think in this regard, the Windows way of document x icon and software big red X icon is easier to understand though.
  • Reply 139 of 239
    Quote:

I see.

I think in this regard, the Windows way of document x icon and software big red X icon is easier to understand though.

Yeah, I think it's whatever you get used to, 'tho ... whenever my wife wants me to fix anything on her windows machine, it takes me forever to adapt to XP ..... I've always been a Mac user so for me, at least, Mac is much more intuitive.

What's going to be interesting is my youngest daughter ... she has always used windows at work and bought only PC machines for home .... swore she would never use mac. She just bought an iPhone (already had an iPod classic) so I'm anxious to see how long she holds out on her PC before she becomes completely converted .... we'll see.
  • Reply 140 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft has launched a new website that tells users PCs have Blu-ray, more software choices, and a greater array of hardware options when compared with Apple's Mac platform.

The Windows 7 section of Microsoft's website now has a tab entitled "PC vs. Mac," which pitches Blu-ray compatibility as one major feature Mac users cannot access. "Deciding between a PC and a Mac?" it asks. "Here's what you need to know."

The newly launched site features six different sections extolling the virtues of Windows-based machines. One section of the site, entitled "Having Fun," tells potential switchers that Macs might "spoil" their fun.

"You can't get a Mac that ships with a Blu-ray player, TV tuner, Memory Stick reader, or built-in 3G wireless," the site says. "You can with PCs running Windows 7."

The site repeatedly and prominently mentions the Mac in each of its sections, with such statements as that "Macs can take time to learn," "Macs don't work as well at work or school," and "Macs don't let you choose."

"PCs give you a lot more choice and capabilities for your money," the site proclaims. "You can get the PC you want, in the size and color you want, with the features you want. You just don't have as many options with a Mac."

Users can also find their "perfect PC" using the Windows PC Scout tool, and also check the compatibility status of software and hardware with the Windows 7 operating system. Visitors can also read "buzz" from users on Twitter talking about PCs with Windows 7.

For some time, Apple has had its own "Why you'll love a Mac" website, which pitches switching to the Mac is the "ultimate upgrade." It also says that Microsoft's Windows operating system is susceptible to "thousands of viruses" that "plague" the platform.

Of course, negative advertising between Microsoft and Apple is nothing new. Apple only recently concluded its Get a Mac TV ads featuring actor Justin Long and humorist John Hodgman. The series of ads, which ran for years, featured the "Hello, I'm a Mac" tagline at the start of every spot, and Long's "Mac" character played the straight man, flanked by Hodgman's bumbling "PC."

The commercials were extremely successful, and aired during a period of tremendous growth for the Mac platform. Last year, Adweek named the "Get a Mac" campaign the best ad campaign of the decade.

For years, Microsoft ignored the Mac in its own TV advertisements. But last year, the Redmond, Wash., software giant stepped up its own advertising campaign and made an effort to reclaim the "I'm a PC" tagline from Apple. Television spots for Windows 7 have featured customers taking credit for the improvements in the new operating system, with the slogan "I'm a PC, and Windows 7 was my idea."

Microsoft also took on the Mac even more directly with its "Laptop Hunters" ads, which portrayed Apple's notebook prices as too high for the average consumer. The Windows maker also came under fire -- and modified one ad -- after it incorrectly displayed a MacBook Pro price as higher than it actually was.

Tell me about it. I spent most of the weekend trying to clear malware and viruses from my PC. Spendover anhour with the MSFT tech deleting the crap. She had to use 3 different programs. My PC had been hijecked and spewing spam.

I suggested we get a $600 AMD Quad 4 Win 7 from Office Max. My wife said no way, buy a new Mac. She is now hogging my Mac Book Pro. iMac 27 planned for date AAPL hits $300 - about Christmas time I suspect.

Ahter all these amny wears Windows and IE are still subject to viruses. When will the unclean learn.

Go Apple.