Apple's new 12-core Mac Pro now available to order

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by calguy View Post

Anyone have any experience using an SSD as a boot drive and also the apps. I want to put Photoshop CS5 and Aperture on it but want to use a 2TB drive for the Library since it will get much bigger than what the SSD will hold.

I have been using a Crucial c300 SSD for the past month or two, it definitely makes many things faster. Apps launch instantly, boot up is super fast... BUT, I am using a single 1 TB drive for my data (photos, videos, etc) and obviously reading/writing that is still as slow as normal. So working with large files is still pretty slow. I would highly recommend a striped RAID setup instead of a single large drive (2x1TB instead of 1x2TB).
  • Reply 42 of 67
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
    You are better off picking a very basic configuration and buying your own Ram and own drives etc where you will save considerably over what apple charges to upgrade components, especially the ram. Huge savings there.
  • Reply 43 of 67
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by starmax View Post

I would highly recommend a striped RAID setup instead of a single large drive (2x1TB instead of 1x2TB).

I don't know why anyone would want to stripe drives now days. The single drives are plenty fast enough to capture full uncompressed HD video. IMO the only RAID worth doing inside of a Mac Pro would be RAID 1 or if you wanted to stripe for some reason then RAID 1+0 which requires 4 drives That way you at least have some fault tolerance. With stripe RAID 0, if one drive fails, all data is lost. And drive failure is much more common in RAID 0 setups than plain old single drives because of the extra overhead of drive management and synchronizing required- more stuff to go wrong. You also need heavy duty 1.5M MTBF drives. Regular HDs don't seem to be able to take the punishment for very long.
  • Reply 44 of 67
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xgman View Post

You are better off picking a very basic configuration and buying your own Ram and own drives etc where you will save considerably over what apple charges to upgrade components, especially the ram. Huge savings there.

Apple was doing much better on RAM prices for other models recently. iMacs and Mini RAM upgrades were roughly in line with what you could get online. They fell down on that hard with the MP. Hard Drives have always been too expensive, altho the SSD drives were at least more realistic in pricing.

Newegg.com Mac Memory

Kingston 4GB DDR3 1066 ECC $222

Kingston 4x4GB DDR3 1066 ECC $859

Of course, DDR3 1066 is the memory for the 2.4 dual systems, not the DDR3 1333 based systems.

Newegg Server Memory (Not Mac specific)

Kingston 4GB DDR3 1333 $129/$246 (Not positive the differences between the 2 and why oe is half the price)

Kingstone 2x4GB DDR3 1333 $278

Looking at the 12 core MP, we see that:

24GB from Apple is $2550

32GB is $3550

Assuming all the memory listed above functions in the MP w/no problem, the 12-Core sytem could be upgraded to 24 and 32GB of RAM for $834 and $1112 respectively, saving you $1700 and $2400. The 2.4 Dual could get maxed for $1718 instead of $3550, saving you over $1800. Not bad at all. Again, providing the memory you find in online stores functions properly in the Mac.
  • Reply 45 of 67
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Are the SSD drives 2.5 or 3.5 inch?
  • Reply 46 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Could you please name at least some professional-grade input peripherals, which rely on USB 3.0 interface? How many are they now?

How many USB peripherals were there when Apple first introduced the iMac? Don't Apple fans like to credit Apple with driving USB adoption? And being the first to adopt new technologies?
  • Reply 47 of 67
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    I just wish software could take better advantage off all those cores. What a waste it seems.
  • Reply 48 of 67
    Why does Apple fill the memory slots with 1 GB modules, leaving only 1 or 2 slots available? Why not use 2 GB modules and leave more slots open?
  • Reply 49 of 67
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

How many USB peripherals were there when Apple first introduced the iMac? Don't Apple fans like to credit Apple with driving USB adoption? And being the first to adopt new technologies?

You don't have your facts straight. Apple wasn't the first to adopt USB, nor most other common technologies. They weren't even the first to use the DisplayPort standard.

What they tend to be is the first to adopt a new technology across the board (as well as being the first to completely abandon obsolecing tech).

A company issuing a tidal wave of change will always get noticed over the faint ripple of a company dipping their toe to test the waters. But go ahead and be a cynical Apple hater, it seems to suit you.
  • Reply 50 of 67
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Why does Apple fill the memory slots with 1 GB modules, leaving only 1 or 2 slots available? Why not use 2 GB modules and leave more slots open?

Besides the cost of less dense RAM modules, I think spreading out the RAM does in fact increase performance by using all available channels.
  • Reply 51 of 67
    maivmaiv Posts: 5member
    I checked newegg and the price for a nehalem xeon quad at 2.8ghz is $1200 while a westmere quad at 2.4ghz is only $390. But the price for the 8-core westmere macpro is $1200 more than the 4-core nehalem macpro.

What gives other than 3 more gig of ram?

Thanks for your thoughts.
  • Reply 52 of 67
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    You learn to tell joysticks from professional equipment first, then you come ask ``provocative' ' questions...
  • Reply 53 of 67
    oomuoomu Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntson View Post

You obviously underestimate the importance and practical usage of these features.

apple sell fiber channel card and others usb 3 cards. go buy them. it's an expandable pci-express machine.

Me I'm a professional, I need a powerful computer with tons of rams and ethernet 1gb/s copper.
  • Reply 54 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntson View Post

USB3=standard on many PCs today - how about apple being on the cutting edge for once. Their iphone should not take all of the creative talent out of their other machines.

because usb3 is not all standard on many pc. as usb2 at first, there are mostly no devices, so no apple.

and besides, think about intel chipset. Intel has no usb3 chipset on the market, so no usb3 in apple motherboard. that simple

go buy a usb3 card.
  • Reply 55 of 67
    Quote:

Quote from MCE: Play Blu-ray movies on your Mac.

Play Blu-ray and HD DVD movies on your Mac Pro with Boot Camp running Windows XP or Vista.

You can get a similar drive from newegg for $120-150.

Just ordered mine, got a 3.2 GHz Quad w/6GB ram... ouch my wallet hurts! I really wanted the Hexa-Core model, but $1200 upgrade to go from a $300 processor (stock) to a $999 one? I know this is nothing new from Apple, but it still hurts when it comes time to make your purchase. They also jacked up the memory costs... Yesterday going from 3GB ram to 6GB ram was $180, now it's $225. Oy!

think about the motherboard.

Ram is always changing. take the minimum of ram from apple and go in others resellers to check price. Be careful, you need ecc ram with temperature controller.

-

of course paying is hurtful. so what?
  • Reply 56 of 67
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oomu View Post

because usb3 is not all standard on many pc. as usb2 at first, there are mostly no devices, so no apple.

and besides, think about intel chipset. Intel has no usb3 chipset on the market, so no usb3 in apple motherboard. that simple

go buy a usb3 card.

On one hand, there are 27 USB 3.0 external drivese & bare enclosures on Newegg, so they're out now with a fair variety. On the other, it adds latency compared to eSATA, and there are known Mac drivers for eSATA cards, not so much with USB 3.0 that I can find yet.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by oomu View Post

think about the motherboard.

Ram is always changing. take the minimum of ram from apple and go in others resellers to check price. Be careful, you need ecc ram with temperature controller.

I haven't heard of memory with a thermal sensor, thanks for the heads-up.
  • Reply 57 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maiv View Post

I checked newegg and the price for a nehalem xeon quad at 2.8ghz is $1200 while a westmere quad at 2.4ghz is only $390. But the price for the 8-core westmere macpro is $1200 more than the 4-core nehalem macpro.

What gives other than 3 more gig of ram?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Here's the processors Apple is using in their Mac Pros this year:

2.8 Quad: W3530 - $294

3.2 Quad: W3565 - $562

3.33 Hex: W3680 - $999

2.4 2x Quad: E5620 - $387

2.66 2x Hex: X5650 - $996

2.93 2x Hex: X5670 - $1440

All pricing comes from Intel's Bulk 1k pricing here:

http://ark.intel.com/ProductCollecti...x?familyId=594

The base quad model is $2499 w/a $300 CPU, the base 8-core model is $3499 w/2 $400 CPUs, there's $500 for just CPUs. 3 more GB RAM is probably $100 to Apple, with the rest going towards the dual CPU sub-board needed to house the extra CPU and RAM slots (plus a little Apple margin).

Regarding the USB 3 issue, I think everyone is disappointed it was not included because everyone hates to buy a machine right before a new I/O technology comes out. At this point the only devices that I've seen take advantage of USB 3 are external HDs. I'm sure more will come in the future, but at this point eSATA seems like a much better option for external HDs. 1 of the main reasons I bought a Mac Pro instead of an iMac was so I could easily add a USB3, eSATA, or Lightpeak card down the road.
  • Reply 58 of 67
    maivmaiv Posts: 5member
    if i were to use a MacPro (4-core nehalem) to run windows 7 via parallels and giving paralells 2-cores to use, would it be or feel as fast as running a PC with icore3 say at 2.8Ghz all else being equal?

thanks for your thoughts.
  • Reply 59 of 67
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:

Here's the processors Apple is using in their Mac Pros this year:

2.8 Quad: W3530 - $294

3.2 Quad: W3565 - $562

3.33 Hex: W3680 - $999

2.4 2x Quad: E5620 - $387

2.66 2x Hex: X5650 - $996

2.93 2x Hex: X5670 - $1440

All pricing comes from Intel's Bulk 1k pricing here:

http://ark.intel.com/ProductCollecti...x?familyId=594

Profits by Mac Pro system. This will list the processor option from the Apple Store, it's BTO cost, cost from the above Intel site and profit for Apple. This doesn't include any potential deeper profit from Apple possibly having a better than average agreement with Intel. Cost of base processor, subtracted from cost of upgrade processor, compared against the BTO upgrade price.

Quad Core:

2.8 ($294, included in base price)

3.2 $400 (cost increase $268, profit $132 or 33% of BTO)

3.33 $1200 (cost increase $705, profit $495 or 41.25% of BTO)

8 Core:

2x2.4 ($774, included in base price)

2x2.66 $1500 (cost increase $1218, profit $282 or 18.8% of BTO)

2x2.93 $2700 (cost increase $2106, profit $594 or 22% of BTO)

12 Core:

2x2.66 ($1992, included in base price)

2x2.93 $1200 (cost increase $888, profit $312 or 26% of BTO)

Apple's profits for CPU upgrades, based on public Intel prices, ranges from 18.8-41.25% depending on which model is being upgraded. Slimmest margin appears to be upgrading the 2x2.4 Quad Core to 2x2.66 6 Core. Largest profit 2.8 Quad increased to 3.33 6 Core.

Just for the heck of it, here is the same info for the iMacs.

3.06 i3-540 Dual $117

3.2 i3-550 Dual $138

3.6 i5-680 Dual $294

2.8 i5-760 Quad $205

2.93 i7-875K Quad $342

21.5" and 27"

3.2 i3 ($138, included in base price)

3.6 i5 $200 ($294, $44 profit or 22%)

27"

2.8 i5 ($205, included in base price)

2.93 i7 $200 ($342, $63 profit or 31.5%)

Profit ranges from 22-31.5% on iMac CPU upgrades.
  • Reply 60 of 67
    Quote:

Are the SSD drives 2.5 or 3.5 inch?

I assume 2.5 inch, but will need to see. Anyone?