Microsoft site attempts to discourage PC users from switching to Mac

Comments

• Reply 141 of 239
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

MS doth protest too much, methinks.

... as does Apple (Example: but their phones attenuate too... wahhhhhh)
  • Reply 142 of 239
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Blu-Ray? The proper term is "bag of hurt"

Microsoft cares so much about it, they've made it standard on every PS3. Oh wait.

'Oh Wait' indeed... given that Microsoft has absolutely nothing to do with the PS3.
  • Reply 143 of 239
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Yeah, I think it's whatever you get used to, 'tho ... whenever my wife wants me to fix anything on her windows machine, it takes me forever to adapt to XP ..... I've always been a Mac user so for me, at least, Mac is much more intuitive.

What's going to be interesting is my youngest daughter ... she has always used windows at work and bought only PC machines for home .... swore she would never use mac. She just bought an iPhone (already had an iPod classic) so I'm anxious to see how long she holds out on her PC before she becomes completely converted .... we'll see.

The big draw to me is, I think, Mac is better in managing every day tasks: email, calendar, task etc. That's quite a draw when you need these for your business. Of course the easy way to back up to Time Capsule, the beauty of hardwares.. can't hurt.

Outlook is just plain awful.
  • Reply 144 of 239
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gary54 View Post

Ummm ...

http://eshop.macsales.com/Search/Sea...66&Ntt=blu+ray

They are drives. I said drivers, you know, the thing the OS needs to use hardware...
  • Reply 145 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Meh, drive is drive. It just acts like a DVD drive until you have a program that understand Blu-Ray file structure.

And in your case the manufacturer's driver will do. No need for OS support at all. Otherwise you simply can not play Blu-Ray on XP.

I said drivers, not drives. You need a UDF 2.2 driver to read a blu-ray disc, you need HDCP video drivers etc etc
  • Reply 146 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

I said drivers, not drives. You need a UDF 2.2 driver to read a blu-ray disc, you need HDCP video drivers etc etc

There is a program to read UDF 2 structure in XP. You don't need OS support. That's the point.
  • Reply 147 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

There is a program to read UDF 2 structure in XP. You don't need OS support. That's the point.

So why the lack of OSX support then?
  • Reply 148 of 239
    lg73lg73 Posts: 3member
    Quote:

You need driver support, and since Apple is the only supplier of the marjority of drivers, then you need Apples support as well.

Snow Leopard natively supports my LG Blu-ray burner. UDF discs mount normally in the Finder. I can burn discs from the Finder. Full driver support for the drive is built-in. The only thing missing is an app for playback of commercial encrypted discs. Non-encrypted discs can be played in VLC or MPlayer OSX Extended by directly opening the .m2ts files.

Apple or a 3rd party could release an app at any time to properly play commercial discs. It's just a matter of someone deciding to pay the licensing fees and do it. The OS is not an issue and already has the necessary support for popular Blu-ray drives.
  • Reply 149 of 239
    jon tjon t Posts: 131member
    You guys need to pick up on this… Msft is now officially on the defensive. And for anyone who has experience of the Windows and Mac, it is clearly all fraudulent stuff.

The target market is people who have only ever used Windows, and need to be scared off from trying Macs.

This is a BIG story and deserves airtime, for the winds of change are blowing a little harder from today...
  • Reply 150 of 239
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    ITS all gone now > .all the msft vs apple issues . The ipad was the final nail in msft coffin.

Msft has been taken over by apple in the dark of night or the creeping movement of itunes SW into wintel machines . . itunes is one the largest pieces of msft SW ever written . Yes ITS RUNS ON APPLE devices. FINE but over 70% is of its users are from BALMERS camp.

And now the ipad has gotten million;s to switch to Apple without most even realizing THEY HAVE switched .

So apple has invaded the MSFT world quietly from within for years . . Balmer has a lot to sweat about these days since apple add sso much value to his devices .

• Reply 151 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LG73 View Post

Snow Leopard natively supports my LG Blu-ray burner. UDF discs mount normally in the Finder. I can burn discs from the Finder. Full driver support for the drive is built-in. The only thing missing is an app for playback of commercial encrypted discs. Non-encrypted discs can be played in VLC or MPlayer OSX Extended by directly opening the .m2ts files.

Apple or a 3rd party could release an app at any time to properly play commercial discs. It's just a matter of someone deciding to pay the licensing fees and do it. The OS is not an issue and already has the necessary support for popular Blu-ray drives.

Driver support is also needed. HDCP hardware and software support is required (which Apple added support for a while ago for iTunes videos). But if it is as simple as releasing an application, why hasn't anyone done it yet, could it be that the Mac market is so small it isn't worth the effort?
  • Reply 152 of 239
    amar99amar99 Posts: 181member
    I got curious about these seemingly bogus Twitter comments that were showing up on the right side. I made a comment on my own Twitter and it never showed up. So I started copying and pasting them into Google...turns out most of them were made no later than about January or February it seems. Besides that, it's funny to see the sorts of things people go on to say after the comment Microsoft used, such as on the following page:

http://twitter.com/ahamad_abdullah

Microsoft used the quote:

"Awsome calculator in #windows7 !! Just love it!"

...which is funny in itself. But the same user also goes onto say (in chronological order):

# @santoshp u have the professional win7 key I gave you right?

# @santoshp if it doesn't work tell me I have more

Didn't see those show up on microsoft's site....more bogus "hype" cause they can't get any real hype of their own.
  • Reply 153 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

And now the ipad has gotten million;s to switch to Apple without most even realizing THEY HAVE switched .

Are you saying that more than 66% of the iPad purchasers were pure Windows users?
  • Reply 154 of 239
    I actually saw an ad campaign yesterday that was as bad as any Microsoft Ad. I was very surprised that the ad firm that Microsoft uses actually has at least one more customer.
  • Reply 155 of 239
    Quote:

So why the lack of OSX support then?

Might have something to do with a large market of people building HTPC using Windows?
  • Reply 156 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LG73 View Post

Too bad there's no AnyDVD HD for Mac. +1 for Windows.
  • Reply 157 of 239
    Quote:

Driver support is also needed. HDCP hardware and software support is required (which Apple added support for a while ago for iTunes videos). But if it is as simple as releasing an application, why hasn't anyone done it yet, could it be that the Mac market is so small it isn't worth the effort?

Actually if OSX can already do what he said, all he need is AnyDVD HD for Mac, which unfortunately is non-available.
  • Reply 158 of 239
    dickdick Posts: 7member
    My 2 cents in this... look at both sides. Learn about the pros and cons of each, and look into as much info as you possibly can. Don't just listen to what Apple or Microsoft have to say about each other, try each out for yourself and make judgements from that. I know this sounds cheesy, but it's true, at the end of the day, it's all about personal preference, and that is why there is such debate. People can't accept that others are 'different' to them, and cannot accept they have different tastes, different needs and wants, and therefore, different systems.

Also, I think all this 'Mac vs. PC' advertising is a load of crap, on both ends. They provide all this 'information' to try make you buy their product. When in reality, there is no right/wrong choice, there is no 'easier to use' system, or in a sense more 'compatible' system. It all depends. A computer is a computer at the end of the day. A tool. Tools get things done. Some tools are more efficient at some things, some more efficient at others. Most tools depend on their user to bring about their true potential. A tool, or a computer is pretty much useless without a user, and it's not the computer that matters, it's how the user works with/interacts with that particular system.

I know all this sounds over the top, and a bit corny. None of us should believe the hype, none of us should be letting others make the choice for us. We each have different likes/dislikes, different personalities, different tastes. Make your own choice based on your own wants and needs. Whatever turns you on! eh?

That is all I have to say.
  • Reply 159 of 239
    How's that stupid Microsoft Store thing working out?
  • Reply 160 of 239
    Choice...Or lack of it. This is the Mac's biggest failing. Excusable when WIndows was a disaster and Apple used PPC architecture and different bus systems. Now that they are simply Intel (maybe soon AMD?) PC's running OS X it is absolutely inexcusable. A premium is paid for OS X and hardware but Apple customers are given short shrift when it comes to expandability.

OS X could do with greater exposure and to do this Apple really do need to think about releasing a Mac, even limited cloning, for computing enthusiasts. Perhaps a new Brand name for the range.

Though to do this they need good programmers and a committed relationship with developers to keep on top of drivers. No big deal with a bank balance as large as theirs.

Soon to be completely swamped by Android devices and more feature flexible tablets, I guess we'll all just have to hope Steve Jobs dies soon and new blood prevents Apple and MacOS from sliding back to the bad old days when its significance wasn't even detectable.

Jobs did a fantastic job bringing Apple back into the limelight. Now I fear his inability to think outside the box will stifle Apple.

Though I don't use Blu-ray it is bloody embarrassing that an expensive computer like the Mac doesn't support it for commercial film replay. I've heard Steve Jobs thoughts on the matter, though, once again, he cannot escape his own brain. It's ludicrous that Apple Mac users have to boot into Windows to play Blu-ray disks. Internet bandwidth is variable country to country, town to town and an attitude that 720 is "good enough" reminds me of the tasteless and compromised thinking at Microsoft of old.

Steve... Windows 7 is not Windows 3.1, 95 or Vista, it is now a very capable and rock-solid OS which I have never had crash on me whereas my Console Crash-Logs on Mac OSX SL is stuffed to bursting.