Microsoft site attempts to discourage PC users from switching to Mac

Comments

• Reply 161 of 239
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Running scared ...
  • Reply 162 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

... or possibly a taste of their own medicine.

It doesn't work that way when you're attacking the underdog. When you're king of the mountain you should NEVER come down to a challenger's level...

At least not unless you're scared of them.

Microsoft is making their money regardless of what apple does but with moves like this, they are showing that Apple is a bigger threat than they let on.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

Choice...Or lack of it. This is the Mac's biggest failing. Excusable when WIndows was a disaster and Apple used PPC architecture and different bus systems. Now that they are simply Intel (maybe soon AMD?) PC's running OS X it is absolutely inexcusable. A premium is paid for OS X and hardware but Apple customers are given short shrift when it comes to expandability.

OS X could do with greater exposure and to do this Apple really do need to think about releasing a Mac, even limited cloning, for computing enthusiasts. Perhaps a new Brand name for the range.

Not this crap again...

Cloning programs DO NOT WORK for companies that are dependent on hardware sales. They would essentially trade dollars for pennies like they did in the 90's.

Also, you guys are speaking as though Apple is on it's last legs or something. They are doing damn well in the market. That's what Microsoft's recent temper tantrum demonstrates. Any time the market leader mentions the underdog, that's a good thing FOR THE UNDERDOG.

You guys should try to remember that this isn't the 1995.
  • Reply 163 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

That is your thought. People might not like Balmer, but it is a strange thing to call him stupid, when he is in charge on one of the largest companies in the world. He might not have the same thoughts as others (ie 99% of the people here), but the guy is far from stupid, and he has achieved a lot more than most of the people here.

That company became powerful with Bill Gates in the captain' chair. Steve Balmer was appointed. That doesn't mean he's smart in any way.

Think about it. When was the last time he was EVER right about anything? This is the guy that laughed at the iPhone for God's sake! He proclaimed that Apple hasn't sold a single phone yet Microsoft has sold millions.

1) the iPhone wasn't out yet

2) Microsoft doesn't make or sell phones (except for the Kin and we see what happened with that). Other companies make and sell the phones.
  • Reply 164 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

Wow, what a powerful site. I'm switching back! You know you would too if only the site reminded you about all the fun you used to have testing the 'blue screen' built into any Microsoft operating system.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by astrubhar View Post

What PC users don't understand is that it's not about having every feature under the sun, it's about having very well perfected features. Apple has refined their operating system and took out all the crap that isn't really good. What we're left with is an OS that is overall more efficient and easier to use.

An all-you-can-eat buffet has everything under the sun. You can eat just about whatever you want. However, the food isn't great. If I want a good steak, I wouldn't go there to get it.

I switched two years ago but haven't turned into a fanboi even though I'm typing this comment on an iPad. The BSOD is not an argument because Windows is built to work with hundreds of configurations and not just one (fairly outdated) PC with fixed specs. Apple is just as prone to the spinning wheel if you start experimenting a bit. Apple software is far from perfect even if it is often is more polished than an equivalent PC app. MS has a point when the mention that the PC is more multimedia friendly. Movies have to be in a specific format but the lack of a proper tool for bulk conversion is very annoying. Yes, I know there are tools like Handbrake but their developers refuse to make bulk conversion available and are more arrogant than Steve Himself when it comes to requests. There are hundreds of tools for Windows some of which are free and far better than HB. Then there is the dodgy support for Flac and other losless formats, let alone alternatives for iTunes ( even if iTunes for OSX is much better than the Windows version). There are plenty of steaks for Windows and I'm happy to be able to afford both restaurants.
  • Reply 165 of 239
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Liquidmark View Post

It doesn't work that way when you're attacking the underdog. When you're king of the mountain you should NEVER come down to a challenger's level...

At least not unless you're scared of them.

Microsoft is making their money regardless of what apple does but with moves like this, they are showing that Apple is a bigger threat than they let on.

So how do you explain Apple attacking every other smartphone maker with their childish deathgrip reception videos? (now fortunately removed)

Unless then, by your logic, Apple are scared of Motorola and co?
  • Reply 166 of 239
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    If some of you fanboys would actually take off those Apple blinkers for a while you would see that Microsoft do have some valid points here.

The lack of blu-ray is inexcusable and unfathomable. iTunes 720 rentals are obviously not comparable and besides, people buy Blu-rays to watch on their big TVs, then want to take them on the road with them. Some of them come with low quality SD digital copies, but most don't. And as you need a BD drive to watch or even ripp discs, this is a massive hole in Apple's PC strategy which needs urgently addressing. If it's not an issue for you personally, bully for you, but it is an issue for others.

There's obviously a vast array of PC form factor options available which Apple could never dream of matching. Want a PC with a touch screen? Or built in 3G? Or a proper memory card reader? Or a built in TV tuner? Or USB 3? You can get those things from PC makers, but not from Apple.

Obviously you can make plenty of cases against Windows too, but please don't dredge up the old 'PCs are full of viruses' thing as there are countless ways (including plenty for free) to stop that happening.

As a PC and Mac owner myself, with both my desktop (Win 7) and my laptop (Macbook) needing replacing within the next year, if I can't get Macs with USB 3 and Blu-Ray then it'll be more Windows for me. Stating the obvious but I don't really have a preference on OS, I like them both, as both work fine for my needs. (with the obvious exception of no BD support on the Mac)
  • Reply 167 of 239
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    I thought they only made software?

Skip
  • Reply 168 of 239
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

S

Also, that Twitter feed is a bunch of hand-picked tweets, many as old as the OS itself. Despite the appearance, it is not in real time.

It's pretty dishonest if it is. Most comments on "the buzz" are saying very good things that read like advertising. But I did notice a small number that are critical. I still think they're trying to make it look real but by the sounds of it it's a highly filtered list of people talking up Win7.
  • Reply 169 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Liquidmark View Post

Not this crap again...

Cloning programs DO NOT WORK for companies that are dependent on hardware sales. They would essentially trade dollars for pennies like they did in the 90's.

Also, you guys are speaking as though Apple is on it's last legs or something. They are doing damn well in the market. That's what Microsoft's recent temper tantrum demonstrates. Any time the market leader mentions the underdog, that's a good thing FOR THE UNDERDOG.

You guys should try to remember that this isn't the 1995.

Cloning could not have worked when Apple didn't have any supporting business model. In Amelio's day they had the Mac, period. That was their only computer hardware, Mac OS was pivotal. This is no longer the case. Mac desktop computers represent a small part of Apple's profits. Producing an enthusiasts Mac would encourage more young technophiles to play around on Apple PC's and reduce the level of industry sneering Apple receives due to a perception of overpricing and under performance. Licensing OS X to a few PC manufactures (maybe even Dell) would help Apple penetrate deeper into the PC market. A division could be set up which takes MacOS and increases its compatibility with a greater range of hardware (ASUS, etc., Motherboards which support Crossfire or SLI?), Blu-ray. SJ could also authorise official Apple support and cooperation for the osx86project. This would give Apple enormous kudos without affecting the average Mac purchaser. It would also help propel the whole range of Apple computers into a more competitive position with market expansion mitigating any reduction in profit. HP and Dell are hardware companies and make profit (okay, Dell may be down a bit but the market has been tight and profit margins tighter still). Adding Mac OS PC's as a string to their bow could help them all play a better tune.

Apple will soon reach market saturation and the innovation it has shown and led with, iPod, iPhone, iPad and the App store will all soon be swept aside by Google just as Microsoft swept them into a corner with Windows. Steve has to think bigger not just better. Increasingly aware of Apple marketing blunders, people are getting Apple fatigue with over exposure and the bubble will burst.
  • Reply 170 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rmanke View Post

It says on Microsoft site that "spreadsheets may not calculate properly" on the Mac.

Are they serious that they are trying to convince people there are bugs in their own software?

If my MS Office on the Mac can't calculate properly I guess I should find another spreadsheet?

I guess I need to switch back to Windows so I can be confident that my spreadsheet can calculate properly.

This is F.U.D. to the N'th degree.

I seem to remember reading something online a couple years ago that, in some esoteric situation, Excel on Mac may in fact do a calculation incorrectly. The type of calculation is so uncommon and used in a specialized circumstance that is has zero impact on the typical user.
  • Reply 171 of 239
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dambuster View Post

None of them. Why? Because they already look cheap and unreliable in the store let alone the 3-4 years I'm going to use them. What's with all the shiny black plastic? Why are they so bulky and their shapes not straight?

The looks of every windows machine is just plain cheap. You can tell that they won't work well just by looking at them.
  • Reply 172 of 239
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:

Choice...Or lack of it. This is the Mac's biggest failing. Excusable when WIndows was a disaster and Apple used PPC architecture and different bus systems. Now that they are simply Intel (maybe soon AMD?) PC's running OS X it is absolutely inexcusable. A premium is paid for OS X and hardware but Apple customers are given short shrift when it comes to expandability.

OS X could do with greater exposure and to do this Apple really do need to think about releasing a Mac, even limited cloning, for computing enthusiasts. Perhaps a new Brand name for the range.

Though to do this they need good programmers and a committed relationship with developers to keep on top of drivers. No big deal with a bank balance as large as theirs.

Soon to be completely swamped by Android devices and more feature flexible tablets, I guess we'll all just have to hope Steve Jobs dies soon and new blood prevents Apple and MacOS from sliding back to the bad old days when its significance wasn't even detectable.

Jobs did a fantastic job bringing Apple back into the limelight. Now I fear his inability to think outside the box will stifle Apple.

Though I don't use Blu-ray it is bloody embarrassing that an expensive computer like the Mac doesn't support it for commercial film replay. I've heard Steve Jobs thoughts on the matter, though, once again, he cannot escape his own brain. It's ludicrous that Apple Mac users have to boot into Windows to play Blu-ray disks. Internet bandwidth is variable country to country, town to town and an attitude that 720 is "good enough" reminds me of the tasteless and compromised thinking at Microsoft of old.

Steve... Windows 7 is not Windows 3.1, 95 or Vista, it is now a very capable and rock-solid OS which I have never had crash on me whereas my Console Crash-Logs on Mac OSX SL is stuffed to bursting.

I couldn't disagree more strongly with anything you have said. Apple is now worth more than Microsoft, they produce hardware and software and revolutionise every sector they have expanded into. It's a premium brand. Making it cheap will not make it better, it will just make it common and one of the main selling points is the premium brand and quality of the products.

I run windows 7, it's not a bad OS, but everything that is good about it is copied from ubuntu and the mac OS. It is most certainly not 'rock solid'.

Toyota are not better because they sell more cards than Aston Martin. Market share != quality
  • Reply 173 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

The lack of blu-ray is inexcusable and unfathomable.

Nope, it's a feature that would be used/wanted by very few people that would push retail prices higher and probably require an entire restructure of the OS and the unibody shell to accomodate. If you want to play blu-rays, go buy a cheap blu-ray player. You want to play games - get a console.

Blue-ray/windows media style functionality and game playing are not and have never been the major selling point of the Mac. I have a feeling that dedicated devices in the pipeline (such as Apple TV) will cover this market. I for one would never see the need to run a blu-ray movie in my laptop or desktop machines. I don't watch a 3hour movie on a computer- and I don't believe many people do.
  • Reply 174 of 239
    Quote:

Choice...Or lack of it. This is the Mac's biggest failing.

Actually, it's one of Apple's biggest strengths. Few models, well tested and refined with a close dedicated relationship between hardware and software. Not a thousand options which then require different drivers just to recognise the network card, as is my experience with customising wintel laptops etc.

Some people just want to buy a high quality tool to do a job - the colour of the casing and the brand of hard drive inside are irrelevant to them, as long as they know it's fit for purpose.

A master carpenter doesn't care what colour his hammer is, or even what metal it's made out of as long as it's bought from a trusted brand and is guaranteed to be fit for his purpose.

Lots of choice is not a strength for the average user, nor is it an indication of greater quality - normally quite the reverse.
  • Reply 175 of 239
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

The lack of blu-ray is inexcusable and unfathomable.

And yet Apple achieves record Mac sales quarter-for-quarter.

Or you projecting your own little complaints onto others again?

Apple completely sidestepped blu ray and never looked back. Consumers keep proving them correct.
  • Reply 176 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

And yet Apple achieves record Mac sales quarter-for-quarter.

Or you projecting your own little complaints onto others again?

Apple completely sidestepped blu ray and never looked back. Consumers keep proving them correct.

I'll also be pleased when apple announce 4096 hi def movies on their screens, that leave blu-ray in the dirt. Optical discs are dead, i've even stopped backing up to blu-ray now, that was a short lived toy. Why spend 8 - 10 on a disc when I can buy a 32gB SD card for less and it's easier to store and faster read/write speeds?
  • Reply 177 of 239
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

As a PC and Mac owner myself, with both my desktop (Win 7) and my laptop (Macbook) needing replacing within the next year, if I can't get Macs with USB 3 and Blu-Ray then it'll be more Windows for me. Stating the obvious but I don't really have a preference on OS, I like them both, as both work fine for my needs. (with the obvious exception of no BD support on the Mac)

Next year when I build my new HTPC it'll have a Blu-Ray drive. That said I'd never want to buy a laptop with Blu-Ray. Hell, for laptop I even can get by with MBA if they sport more RAM and more powerful processor.
  • Reply 178 of 239
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

I'll also be pleased when apple announce 4096 hi def movies on their screens, that leave blu-ray in the dirt. Optical discs are dead, i've even stopped backing up to blu-ray now, that was a short lived toy. Why spend 8 - 10 on a disc when I can buy a 32gB SD card for less and it's easier to store and faster read/write speeds?

SD is certainly more convenient to deal with, but I'm not sure where you're finding it to be cheaper than Blu-Ray media.
  • Reply 179 of 239
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

How is this any worse than Apple's previous advertising 'scare' tactics of saying:

"Buy A Mac, It Doesn't Get Viruses" - Untrue... plain and simple (just far fewer).

That's not untrue, it's a fact. There are currently no known un-patched viral threats for Mac OS X. And I can only think of two that have existed in the past 4 years, both of which were speedily patched. Perhaps you are confusing "Virus" with "Malware". A virus is a form of malware which spreads and replicates itself without user input. As it stands, no Mac Viruses are known to exist in the wild, just malware - of which there is proportionally less than on Windows. To wit, I have two Macs in the house and there are 5 PCs. All the PCs run anti-virus software. The Macs do not. 3 of the 5 PCs have succumb to viral threats in the past 6 months, the Macs? Untouched despite lacking antivirus.
  • Reply 180 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

SD is certainly more convenient to deal with, but I'm not sure where you're finding it to be cheaper than Blu-Ray media.

Wholesale and bulk. A 64 gig SD card costs far less than the equivalent storage on a blu-ray disc.