Microsoft site attempts to discourage PC users from switching to Mac

Comments

• Reply 201 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Well, I certainly enjoy mine, but still hope that at least some of the 'missing functionality' is incorporated in the next version.

Apple was largely given a 'pass' on these glaring omissions this round, but next time consumers might not be so forgiving, especially at the given price points.

W'e'll See...

Not bad for a Version 1 though wouldn't you say?
  • Reply 202 of 239
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Macs are indeed behind in using HDMI and blue-rays. Kind of annoys me actually since with the price tags those things should be there. Next generation macs's should have them.
  • Reply 203 of 239
    Quote:

I never claimed that one 'could not buy' those items/features (3rd party), only that there are No Current Apple Computers On Which They Are Available From The Factory, yet there are several Windows-based computers that do offers these '' 'features' and much. much more Directly From The Factory/Manufacturer.

I hope this clears up your confusion on the matter.

What you seem to be confused on is the fact that Microsoft states on their website you can't get them on a Mac, my point is MOST PCs don't have these options either, never said you couldn't get them. Why is Microsoft stating your options for Mac and Mac hardware ONLY comes from Apple, that simply is not true. My point is you DO have options with a Mac as well, you have the same options you have when buying a PC.
  • Reply 204 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

I doubt about Blu-ray, but I think we'll get ATI for the next Macs.

Yep. AMD is coming strong on the Apple side.
  • Reply 205 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Macs are indeed behind in using HDMI and blue-rays. Kind of annoys me actually since with the price tags those things should be there. Next generation macs's should have them.

How are they behind in HDMI? The mini display port has all of the capabilities of HDMI, and remember Apple was one of the initial developers of the Blu-ray standard, they are not using it in their hardware due to DRM and licensing fees... (Thank Sony for that)
  • Reply 206 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Not true. People played Blu-Ray in XP before there's even 7. All you need is just a program that support it.

Also, Windows 7 does NOT have Blu-Ray support built in, you have to install a codec or 3rd party player.
  • Reply 207 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gary54 View Post

"Hassle-free files at work.

Apple's productivity suite file formats won't open in Microsoft Office on PCs. This can be a real hassle for Mac users sharing work documents with PC users."

It's Microsofts choice not to make their office suite compatible with the Apple's software. Apple makes theirs compatible with MS office. That's been part of MS hegemony strategy for years. Just like Front Page and Publisher. Thy create web pages which work perfectly in IE but nothing else. Then its the browsers fault. errrr .. No.

The usual spin doctoring at its worst and gullible people bite it.

Also, files created in Office 2007 and 2010 aren't readily compatible in Office 2003. (Lots of people still use 2003)
  • Reply 208 of 239
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

What you seem to be confused on is the fact that Microsoft states on their website you can't get them on a Mac, my point is MOST PCs don't have these options either, never said you couldn't get them. Why is Microsoft stating your options for Mac and Mac hardware ONLY comes from Apple, that simply is not true. My point is you DO have options with a Mac as well, you have the same options you have when buying a PC.

I have noticed Dell is getting worse on options, but they are there. You have to play the Dell game. To get "this," you must also get "that." At least most of their computers are readily accessible, should you want to mess with stuff on your own, or even make repairs.

Let me know when Apple sells a tower or mini tower, with the same features and prices as the current iMac. And let me know when RI is ready.
  • Reply 209 of 239
    Notice how the site always uses the word "dongle" instead of "adapter". I think they're deliberately trying to make it sound dirty/euphemistic, i.e. "You don't want a bunch of ugly DONGLES hanging off the back of your Mac, do you???"

• Reply 210 of 239
    Quote:

How are they behind in HDMI? The mini display port has all of the capabilities of HDMI,

The old version dont support sound and even with the new ones you still need a special cable instead of using a widespread hdmi cable that is cheaper and can be reused for something else.

Quote:

Apple was one of the initial developers of the Blu-ray standard, they are not using it in their hardware due to DRM and licensing fees... (Thank Sony for that)

So, Apple : pay the fees and include it... everybody else, there moms and there pets are doing it.
  • Reply 211 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

The only use for a blu-ray one a Mac is for data backup. If want to watch a movie then you must install Windows.

Dell sells a touch screen.

I know people that have PCs older than all my Macs (the oldest Mac I have is 5 years old), they are still using them, and they cost a heck of a lot less than any of my Macs. I have a five year old Toshiba laptop that I still use every so often.

Ok, so Sony's DRM and Licensing fees that Apple doesn't want to deal with is Apple's fault?

And does that Dell system you speak of make up MOST PCs?

I have an 8 year old Mac that I use EVERY DAY. (Don't give a dang about the cost of this stuff)
  • Reply 212 of 239
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:

So essential you're just reiterating what I posted, "Untrue... plain and simple (just far fewer)", and to the average computer user the semantics of calling it malware or virus is completely moot.

Nice try. Your statement was factually inaccurate, whether you think the actual definitions of a word matters or not. Apple claiming Mac users do not have to worry about Viruses is not untrue as you claimed, and there are not "far fewer" viruses on Macs, there are no known viruses on Macs.
  • Reply 213 of 239
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:

Niether I nor Microsoft are 'confused' about anything as (currently) shoppers/consumers Can Not purchase any Mac computer (laptop, desktop, or otherwise) from the manufacturer/Apple with those features integrated/built-into the the core-unit, whereas there are several makers of Windows-based computers that offer these options as an actual part of the computer (not via external boxes, dongles, etc.) From The Factory... and Therein Lies The Difference.

No Confusion Whatsoever.
  • Reply 214 of 239
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    Quote:

Ok, so Sony's DRM and Licensing fees that Apple doesn't want to deal with is Apple's fault?

I have an 8 year old Mac that I use EVERY DAY. (Don't give a dang about the cost of this stuff)

You must be a Rocky-Feller.
  • Reply 215 of 239
    colinhcolinh Posts: 15member
    Quote:

For years, Microsoft ignored the Mac in its own TV advertisements. But last year, the Redmond, Wash., software giant stepped up its own advertising campaign and made an effort to reclaim the "I'm a PC" tagline from Apple. Television spots for Windows 7 have featured customers taking credit for the improvements in the new operating system, with the slogan "I'm a PC, and Windows 7 was my idea."

I thought that was a bit of negative advertising from Apple...
  • Reply 216 of 239
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Liquidmark View Post

That company became powerful with Bill Gates in the captain' chair. Steve Balmer was appointed. That doesn't mean he's smart in any way.

Do you really think the board of MS would allow the CEO position to be given to an idiot? Can you really sit there and say he is not smart in anyway? I would say that fact that he has that job is example you are wrong.
  • Reply 217 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Wholesale and bulk. A 64 gig SD card costs far less than the equivalent storage on a blu-ray disc.

99.99999% of people cannot purchase wholesale or bulk, and if they could, writable blu-ray would still be much cheaper.
  • Reply 218 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Blu-Ray is too low def for Apple's MiniDisplayPort. That is why Apple doesn't allow HDMI. HDMI is low-rez compared to MiniDisplyPort.

HDMI and DisplayPort both support the same resolution.
  • Reply 219 of 239
    Quote:

How are they behind in HDMI? The mini display port has all of the capabilities of HDMI, and remember Apple was one of the initial developers of the Blu-ray standard, they are not using it in their hardware due to DRM and licensing fees... (Thank Sony for that)

Sony is only one of the players in the BDA, and they are not the biggest. Maybe the other patent holders have something to do with the licencing fees? And the DRM isn't Sony's. Stop spreading this crap.
  • Reply 220 of 239
    Quote:

I will reply again, as it appears you are slow and it will take a while for you to understand this. Blu-ray isn't just Sony, Sony isn't the largest player in the blu-ray specs. Sony doesn't set the licencing fees, or develop the DRM that is used in blu-ray. Stop spreading this crap.

Quote:

I said monitor not system. And I dont' know how many they have sold, but anyone with a Windows 7 machine could get one and have a multitouch computer

Quote:

Good for you. I have a 8 year old Dell sitting in my garage. I don't use it everyday as my iMac and my optiplex are much faster.