Microsoft site attempts to discourage PC users from switching to Mac

167891012»

Comments

• Reply 221 of 239
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Do you really think the board of MS would allow the CEO position to be given to an idiot? Can you really sit there and say he is not smart in anyway? I would say that fact that he has that job is example you are wrong.

Perhaps not. But you have to admit that Ballmer is unique in his "approach"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvsboPUjrGc
  • Reply 222 of 239
    Quote:

I will reply again, as it appears you are slow and it will take a while for you to understand this. Blu-ray isn't just Sony, Sony isn't the largest player in the blu-ray specs. Sony doesn't set the licencing fees, or develop the DRM that is used in blu-ray. Stop spreading this crap.

I said monitor not system. And I dont' know how many they have sold, but anyone with a Windows 7 machine could get one and have a multitouch computer

Good for you. I have a 8 year old Dell sitting in my garage. I don't use it everyday as my iMac and my optiplex are much faster.

Isn't Optiplex the Dell business computer line?
  • Reply 223 of 239
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Isn't Optiplex the Dell business computer line?

Possibly. It was a good price, and a good spec so I purchased it.
  • Reply 224 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Perhaps not. But you have to admit that Ballmer is unique in his "approach"...

Unique doesn't mean stupid.
  • Reply 225 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

Nice try. Your statement was factually inaccurate, whether you think the actual definitions of a word matters or not. Apple claiming Mac users do not have to worry about Viruses is not untrue as you claimed, and there are not "far fewer" viruses on Macs, there are no known viruses on Macs.

Apart from the Viruses there are for Macs, it's just a lot of people using Macs can't admit to themselves that something actually is a Virus. There are virus protectors for Macs and there not just programs with an icon that don't do anything.

Are they a problem for Mac users. No. In the same way that the average windows home user is likely to never have an issue with a virus a mac user isn't either.
  • Reply 226 of 239
    Quote:

Unique doesn't mean stupid.

No, it doesn't.
  • Reply 227 of 239
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Wholesale and bulk. A 64 gig SD card costs far less than the equivalent storage on a blu-ray disc.

Bought from where? First you said 32, now it's 64, which seems even less likely. An SDXC 64GB card starts at $340 on Newegg. A 50GB BD-R is $13-$25. A 32GB SD card, again, on same site, starts at $65.
  • Reply 228 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Liquidmark View Post

That company became powerful with Bill Gates in the captain' chair. Steve Balmer was appointed. That doesn't mean he's smart in any way.

It doesn't. But....

- Microsoft and Apple have similar revenues, but Microsoft makes twice as much profit

- Microsoft's profit continues to rise year on year

- This year there launching Kinect which whatever you think of the games does make Minority report possible

- Windows 7 is a success

- Windows Phone 7 could go either way but is far better than WinPhone 6

- Nearly all the idea's in the next OSX discussion thread are already in Windows 7

- Microsoft now has online versions of Office

- Microsoft gets involved with things like trying to prevent diseases, when was the last time you heard of Apple or Google doing anything other than making money

- 4 versions of Silverlight in 3 years, now so good makes developers wonder if there's any point building native apps

And Apple...

- Nothing happened with OS X

- Launched a phone that can't make calls if you hold it wrong

Ok im being unfair to Apple, but it's not like Microsoft are standing still. People have said they failed in mobile, now they have a better mobile OS. For years people said web versions of Office will kill Office, now they have there own version. Vista failed, but Windows 7 turned it around. All these things happened under Balmer so he's not an idiot.

For sure he's not as much of a visionary as Bill Gates though. The sad thing with everything that's happened with stuff from Google and Apple is loads of it seems to be Bill's ideas that Microsoft failed to implement well, or got stopped by the EU before they got there.
  • Reply 229 of 239
    The "article" claims the Im a MAC TV Advertising campaign was hugely successful. Perhaps at burning huge sums of Apple's money. But the expensive campaign increased MAC market share zero percent. MAC still struggles with about 5% desktop market globally. I know; apple doesnt care about market share... Thats crap. Apple would love market share; its just 95% of the human race doesnt want the overpriced, under-performing, lack of features products apple tricks people into buying.

MAc with bluray? Steve is still betting on HDDVD; hes still in denial that he backed the wrong technology.
  • Reply 230 of 239
    doorman.doorman. Posts: 159member
    If MBP had a Blu-ray, 3G, and NON-glossy screen, I could consider id.

I stick to Sony Z.

Oh, yeah, and I used Mac 2 times in my like running common software. Both times the computer froze (once with that colorful circle). It was 1 year ago.

4 years ago the Mac could not find a USB stick (worked on every Win and Linux maschine)

Apple's problems: iTunes on Windows (programmed by Apple) mistake messages etc., iPhone (huge bugs with the calendar and birthdays, as an example - had it for 1 year), Safari - just no flexibility (FF all the way), ME.COM service from Apple was just crap at least 6 month after the start (after that I stopped trying to communicate to Apple which bugs they have and closed an account).

I like Win 7. I can do with it anything. I run it on really latest hardware (not 9 months delays as Apple does with processors or Videocards), have NON-Glossy 27' Dell Monitors with PVA matrix for best black values.
  • Reply 231 of 239
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doorman. View Post

If MBP had a Blu-ray, 3G, and NON-glossy screen, I could consider id.

I stick to Sony Z.

Oh, yeah, and I used Mac 2 times in my like running common software. Both times the computer froze (once with that colorful circle). It was 1 year ago.

4 years ago the Mac could not find a USB stick (worked on every Win and Linux maschine)

Apple's problems: iTunes on Windows (programmed by Apple) mistake messages etc., iPhone (huge bugs with the calendar and birthdays, as an example - had it for 1 year), Safari - just no flexibility (FF all the way), ME.COM service from Apple was just crap at least 6 month after the start (after that I stopped trying to communicate to Apple which bugs they have and closed an account).

I like Win 7. I can do with it anything. I run it on really latest hardware (not 9 months delays as Apple does with processors or Videocards), have NON-Glossy 27' Dell Monitors with PVA matrix for best black values.

It's just odd. I am a mac guy and don't hang out on any windows boards setting the record straight.
  • Reply 232 of 239
    phalanxphalanx Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

When I didn't need BR I used to think it would be nice on my next Mac. After getting an HDTV and a BR player, I'm not needing BR on my Mac. My Sony BR player does that job just fine. Thinking it would be nice to copy BR disks I looked for BR disk prices. No THX, I can wait until needed.

Of course you don't need a Blu-Ray. Mac users don't need anything that is not on there Macs until Steve deems it time to give it to them. Of course, then it is awesome, amazing, seamless, and a dire necessity. It is great to have a leader like Steve so you don't have to trouble yourself with worrying about what you might want.
  • Reply 233 of 239
    gescomgescom Posts: 69member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

It doesn't. But....

- Microsoft and Apple have similar revenues, but Microsoft makes twice as much profit

- This year there launching Kinect which whatever you think of the games does make Minority report possible

- Windows 7 is a success

- Nearly all the idea's in the next OSX discussion thread are already in Windows 7

- Microsoft gets involved with things like trying to prevent diseases, when was the last time you heard of Apple or Google doing anything other than making money

- 4 versions of Silverlight in 3 years, now so good makes developers wonder if there's any point building native apps

And Apple...

- Launched a phone that can't make calls if you hold it wrong

You're all wrong! A new MacBook Wheel is on the way.
  • Reply 234 of 239
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

So it's perfectly fine when Apple (alleged King of the Smartphone Hill) does it e.g. the 'Look, Their Phones Attenuate Too - When Held 'Unnaturally' ", but it's not when other companies do it.

There are some serious flaws in that (lack of) rational... Very Serious.

Yes. The most serious flaw is your pretending that Apple's position in the mobile phone market resembles Microsoft's position in the PC market.

Quote:

Do you really think the board of MS would allow the CEO position to be given to an idiot? Can you really sit there and say he is not smart in anyway? I would say that fact that he has that job is example you are wrong.

Actually, at the time, Gates and Ballmer were the two largest shareholders. Boards tend to go along fairly readily when a CEO chooses a successor in that type of situation.

Quote:

Apart from the Viruses there are for Macs, it's just a lot of people using Macs can't admit to themselves that something actually is a Virus. There are virus protectors for Macs and there not just programs with an icon that don't do anything.

Then you should be able to point to one. Name a single virus (viruses are defined as self-propogating malware that does not require user interaction) that affects Mac OS X.

Come on, you said there are viruses - point them out (and don't give me examples of trojans. EVEN trolls like you should know the difference.

Quote:

It doesn't. But....

- Windows 7 is a success

And Apple...

- Launched a phone that can't make calls if you hold it wrong.

Without pointing out all the stupid things in your statement, let's just look at the combined evaluation of the entire investing world as measured by their estimate of the value of the company (i.e, book value). Apple went from less than 1/10 the value of Microsoft 5 or 6 years ago to greater than the value of Microsoft today. Microsoft has gone nowhere for many years while Apple has skyrocketed.
  • Reply 235 of 239
    The only reason people actually go to the Microsoft site is to find answers to their problems with Microsoft products. Hardly a good selling point for Windows now is it? ESPECIALLY since finding answers on Microsoft's problems are so difficult to find most people seek out other avenues for help... so I guess what I'm really saying is NO ONE goes to Microsoft's site so their attacks on Macs are irrelevant. :-P
  • Reply 236 of 239
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Are they a problem for Mac users. No. In the same way that the average windows home user is likely to never have an issue with a virus a mac user isn't either.

This is simply FUD. If you don't have anti-virus, you're F***ED. If you have, it's not 100% guaranteed either. Last year I lost count of how many times I have to do clean installs to my friends who have no anti-virus. And just last week my hotmail is hacked even though my machine has both AVG and Windows Defender running. There's no warning in my case. And better yet when I run both programs they showed a different infected file.
  • Reply 237 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

So Microsoft is standing behind their product and trying to show the benefits compared to their closest competitor. Apple does the same exact thing, as stated in the article, so not sure how this is news. This is the same campaign Microsoft has been running for a while now.

In past couple months we've been spending about 1/4 of our technicians resources trying to clean spyware off our PCs. We have to use a combination of like 3 different spyware cleaners just to get systems working again and it wastes tons of man hours. I know one individual in the office makes serious money on the side cleaning people's personal computers.

Truth is I think most people care far more about stability and ease of use than they do about bells and whistles. People still get lured in by bells and whistles but once they get the bad taste of spyware and viruses in their mouth it doesn't take long for a plan to be hashed out that will afford them to go Mac.

We're starting to see people switching platforms like crazy, nearly all of them confessing that they got one for home & liked it so much they have decided to switch in the office. Switched from Windows myself 5 years ago and have never looked back.
  • Reply 238 of 239
    Well, it's certainly true that there are far more hardware choices on the PC side.

Just look at the comparisons that are made whenever apple ships a quad xeon config of the mac pro. There are always comparisons with vastly cheaper i7 machines (valid ones, in my opinion) simply because apple doesn't offer an i7 tower. It's a great hardware combo, offering fantastic performance (in many cases better than the xeon) for the money.
  • Reply 239 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

In past couple months we've been spending about 1/4 of our technicians resources trying to clean spyware off our PCs. We have to use a combination of like 3 different spyware cleaners just to get systems working again and it wastes tons of man hours. I know one individual in the office makes serious money on the side cleaning people's personal computers.

Why didn't your technicians put in some precausions to stop them getting the spyware in the first place. Maybe they were just creating some job security.

If the tecnicians were any good you wouldn't have the spyware in the first place. And cleaning the machine shouldn't take hours, reloading from an image can be done quickly.