Dell announces Streak tablet phone US launch on Friday

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Dell's latest touchscreen tablet-cum-smartphone will take on Apple's iPhone and iPad in the US on Friday when the company launches its 5-inch Streak for $299 with contract, $549 without.

The Streak, which has been anticipated as a major competitor to both Apple's iPhone and iPad, will be available for pre-sale on Thursday and to the general public on Friday. AT&T, which also offers plans for Apple's iPhone and iPad, will serve as the US carrier for the tablet, offering a $250 subsidy on the device with a 2 year contract.

Garnering significant hype at CES in January, the Streak was officially announced by Dell in May. At the time, Lionel Menchaca, chief blogger for Dell, noted that in his 16 years at the Round rock., Tex., company, this was the most buzz around a single Dell product that he had seen.

With its 5-inch form factor, the Streak has been alternately called an over-sized iPhone and a mini iPad. Although originally slated for US release in late July, the device was pushed back several weeks to its release date on August 13. During the time between the Streak's preview at CES in January and its US launch on Friday, Apple announced, released, and had record sales of both the iPad and iPhone 4.

The Wall Street Journal has proclaimed the Dell Streak as "the first major competitor" to the iPad.

The device will ship with the older 1.6 version of Android. Over-the-air upgrades to Android 2.2 have been promised later this year. Although originally demoed in Cherry Red, Carbon Black will be the only color offered at launch.

The UK saw the Streak's initial release in early June. Despite the buzz surrounding the product, sales were underwhelming. During an analyst meeting in June, Chief Executive Michael Dell referred to the device's UK launch as "interesting, exciting, but immaterial to Dell's $60 billion in revenue."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 196
    I smell a flop coming on...
  • Reply 2 of 196
    I don't think that's flop you smell...
  • Reply 3 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dadsgravy View Post

I don't think that's flop you smell...

I sure do see one.
  • Reply 4 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGod 2.0 View Post

I smell a flop coming on...

Yep.

I don't know what possessed them to call it "the streak" either. It just makes me think of that horrible old song by Ray Stevens, or nasty streaks like in one of your kids underwear.
  • Reply 4 of 196
    Blah.

Another 'iPod/iPad/iPhone killer' road-kill.
  • Reply 6 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Yep.

I don't know what possessed them to call it "the streak" either. It just makes me think of that horrible old song by Ray Stevens, or nasty streaks like in one of your kids underwear.

Yep, they could have came harder with that. SMH
  • Reply 7 of 196
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Unless it's released with Android 2.2/Froyo, and a lot more than 2gb of built-in storage, I sense a Monumental Fail.

It really is interesting that almost every Android device released on AT&T appears to be deliberately cripple, shackled, or stifled in some way or another, almost like they're afraid of offering any viable competition to their (current) flashship device. \
  • Reply 8 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Blah.

Yes sir
  • Reply 9 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Blah.

Actually No... Apple currently offers nothing in this particular category - The (5 inch) pocketable 3g slate.
  • Reply 10 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Unless it's released with Android 2.2/Froyo, and a lot more than 2gb of built-in storage, I sense a Monumental Fail.

It really is interesting that almost every Android device released on AT&T appears to be deliberately cripple, shackled, or stifled in some way or another, almost like they're afraid of offering any viable competition to their (current) flashship device. \

Precisely what I was thinking. Makes no sense it coming with 1.6 or any 1.x software. SMH.
  • Reply 11 of 196
    We're going streaking!
  • Reply 12 of 196
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Hilarious. Streak on HP's pants probably in a few months ...
  • Reply 13 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Hilarious. Streak on HP's pants probably in a few months ...

Haha. This guy.
  • Reply 14 of 196
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    So it is as expensive as a phone and too small to be a tablet. And it is neither a phone nor a tablet!

What is the point of this device exactly?!
  • Reply 15 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

So it is as expensive as a phone and too small to be a tablet. And it is neither a phone nor a tablet!

What is the point of this device exactly?!

As the owner/user of an Archos 5It/Android (5inch screen slate computer), there are numerous benefits to a larger (but still pocket-friendly) slate device.

01 - Videos are much more enjoyable on the larger display.

02 - Games are more 'immersive', especially driving games.

03 - Reading eBooks is much more pleasurable and easy on the eyes on a 5 inch screen than on something smaller.

04 - Web Surfing is also much more enjoyable on the larger display.

and on... and on...
  • Reply 16 of 196
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

As the owner/user of an Archos 5It, there are numerous benefits to a larger (but still pocket-friendly) slate device.

01 - Videos are much more enjoyable on the larger display.

02 - Games are more 'immersive', especially driving games.

03 - Reading eBooks is much more pleasurable and easy on the eyes on a 5 inch screen than on something smaller.

04 - Web Surfing is also much more enjoyable on the larger display.

and on... and on...

Why not get one of the new large screen Androids then?!
  • Reply 17 of 196
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:

Its released with 1.6, and upgraded to 2.1 shortly, with 2.2 later in the year.

the cost for the phone aint too bad (waaay less than I am paying for my iphone), but the on contract cost is a bit lame.
  • Reply 18 of 196
    With only version 1.6 of Android, this streak still has its clothes on with the inability to handle anything flash. C'mon HTML5!
  • Reply 19 of 196
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Where I'm from, a streak in your pants is called a shit stain.

On a serious note, why are you guys so quick to call this a failure? And what version of Android was it released with in the UK?
  • Reply 20 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Why not get one of the new large screen Androids then?!

The key here is having a sizable screen yet still remaining pocketable (for many).

It's an interesting niche, and as one who owns an Archos 5IT (also a 5inch Android slate computer), I can say it's very handy to have around when my phone's screen is too small, but my iPad's just to big, heavy, cumbersome to carry around.