Dell announces Streak tablet phone US launch on Friday

Comments

• Reply 81 of 196
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by karmadave View Post

This looks like a super-sized smartphone with an old version of Android. The Marketing geniuses at Dell must know they've missed the boat. This should give the MS Kin a run for it's money...

It did, in the UK...
  • Reply 82 of 196
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

No offence but if I believed you every time you said you owned this or that device, I think you would have to be some kind of multimillionaire who buys every computer and mobile device from every company known.

Every time you want to make a point, you seem to claim ownership of some device or other. I don't believe you.

I can't believe you said that about DaHarder...

On my planet (which I own and is much better than Earth) you could get into a lot of trouble saying something like that.
  • Reply 83 of 196
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Isn't it funny how important screen resolution and pixel density were to Android fans before the iPhone 4 was released? But now that the iPhone sports the best screen on the planet, a gorgeous screen is suddenly absurd and irrelevant - I'm sorry, but that's just funny.

I guess since this device lacks wireless N too, we'll soon hear that the "N" standard sucks anyhow.

No... It's still important, but what one must take into account how easily discernible the difference between a display of 854 x 480 (409,920 pixels, 264.77ppi, 0.0959mm dot pitch) and one of 320 x 480 (153,600 pixels, 164.83ppi, 0.1541mm dot pitch) actually is to the naked/average eye due to the much larger pixels.

By pushing some 614, 400 pixels (329.65ppi, 0.0771mm dot pitch) into an area a mere 3.5 inches diagonal, the benefits become much less apparent to the naked eye, and in some circumstances almost negligible.

Sure it's great for bragging rights, and the occasional Key Note slide talking point, but in real world usage it just doesn't make that big of difference after a certain point.
  • Reply 84 of 196
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

No... It's still important, but what one must take into account how easily discernible the difference between a display of 854 x 480 (409,920 pixels, 264.77ppi, 0.0959mm dot pitch) and one of 320 x 480 (153,600 pixels, 164.83ppi, 0.1541mm dot pitch) actually is to the naked/average eye due to the much larger pixels.

By pushing some 614, 400 pixels (329.65ppi, 0.0771mm dot pitch) into an area a mere 3.5 inches diagonal, the benefits become much less apparent to the naked eye, and in some circumstances almost negligible.

Sure it's great for bragging rights, and the occasional Key Note slide talking point, but in real world usage it just doesn't make that big of difference after a certain point.

Translation: It's irrelevant until it's adopted by the next Droid. Gotcha!
  • Reply 85 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Translation: It's irrelevant until it's adopted by the next Droid. Gotcha!

It won't really matter because Android has chosen to go with actual/industry standard widescreen ratios exclusively as their smartphone standard.

Rest assured that you will soon see Android devices (both smartphone and tablets) supporting 1024x600, 1366x768, and 1600x900 native resolutions as they are each industry standard widescreen display sizes, not just an act to multiplying pixels as dictated by current application constraints.

There's (obviously) room for both in today's market, given that both the iPhone4 and the top/newest Android smartphones (EVO and DROID X) are currently sold out around the country.
  • Reply 86 of 196
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

My, is that a Streak in your pants or are you just glad to see me?

• Reply 87 of 196
    Quote:

No offence but if I believed you every time you said you owned this or that device, I think you would have to be some kind of multimillionaire who buys every computer and mobile device from every company known.

Every time you want to make a point, you seem to claim ownership of some device or other. I don't believe you.

good observation!
  • Reply 88 of 196
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:

If by 'store' you mean the room in which I 'store' a few of my 'toys'... you'd be correct - The 'really good stuff' is in my home office -

Anyway... About That Dell Streak...

Something is wrong here, you have all these 'toys' in your home but yet the 'really good stuff' is in your home office? With all this equipment that you claim to own, when and how do you find the time to even use it all?
  • Reply 89 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Something is wrong here, you have all these 'toys' in your home but yet the 'really good stuff' is in your home office? With all this equipment that you claim to own, when and how do you find the time to even use it all?

My 'home office' is a three room casita separate from the main house, it's basically my 'Man Cave', and where most of my cool toys (electronics, pool table, foosball table, air hokey, et al) are kept, and like I said, I'm retired, so there's usually time (between Honey-Dos) to pretty much do what I want.

It's not for everyone, but It Sure Works For Me
  • Reply 90 of 196
    Quote:

It won't really matter because Android has chosen to go with actual/industry standard widescreen ratios exclusively as their smartphone standard.

Rest assured that you will soon see Android devices (both smartphone and tablets) supporting 1024x600, 1366x768, and 1600x900 native resolutions as they are each industry standard widescreen display sizes, not just an act to multiplying pixels as dictated by current application constraints.

There's (obviously) room for both in today's market, given that both the iPhone4 and the top/newest Android smartphones (EVO and DROID X) are currently sold out around the country.

Soon... Oh really? In the next year, who is capable of and going to make these higher res screens in quantities, at a reasonable cost, that support any type of volume sales that are relevant to the market?
  • Reply 91 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

good observation!

Actually, if you'd taken a few seconds to peruse this thread before jumping in so quick to insult, you'd have noticed that said 'observation' has been long debunked:

My Personal Mantra: To Own Is To Know, as opposed to being completely misinformed
  • Reply 92 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Soon... Oh really? In the next year, who is capable of and going to make these higher res screens in quantities, at a reasonable cost, that support any type of volume sales that are relevant to the market?

They've been manufacturing, as well as selling many of these very devices/displays on the Chinese market (you know, where most Apple products are made) for a few months now, so it probably won't be much of an issue to 'ramp things up' a bit -

We'll See...
  • Reply 93 of 196
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Dell's latest touchscreen tablet-cum-smartphone will take on Apple's iPhone and iPad in the US on Friday when the company launches its 5-inch Streak for $299 with contract, $549 without.

To steal a phrase "just sell the company and give the shareholders their money back".
  • Reply 94 of 196
    Quote:

My 'home office' is a three room casita separate from the main house, it's basically my 'Man Cave', and where most of my cool toys (electronics, pool table, foosball table, air hokey, et al) are kept, and like I said, I'm retired, so there's usually time (between Honey-Dos) to pretty much do what I want.

It's not for everyone, but It Sure Works For Me

I retired early for health reasons (from 30+ years in the computer industry) and can somewhat understand your logic so I guess I'll sorta accept this explanation as believable as we do need our 'toys'.
  • Reply 95 of 196
    tjwtjw Posts: 216member
    Quote:

Yep.

I don't know what possessed them to call it "the streak" either. It just makes me think of that horrible old song by Ray Stevens, or nasty streaks like in one of your kids underwear.

As opposed to the iPad which still sounds like a high tech woman's hygiene product engineered by your god Mr Jobs.
  • Reply 96 of 196
    jrobjrob Posts: 49member
    Came for the skid mark jokes... leaving satisfied.

Is Dell trying to say they dropped a turd and can't bother to clean it up, or that they dropped a turd prematurely in their shorts? May I suggest a marketing slogan: "If you don't get an iPad, you may just end up with a Streak".

On a serious note, how fluid is the Android UI compared to iOS? I love this about my iPhone 4, but am not sure how Android compares. For instance, I can pan and zoom at the same time, completely fluidly. Also, use of animation makes everything feel very organic. Is Android just as natural to use?
  • Reply 97 of 196
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    I'd say it's looking pretty good.

Looks useful, and even somewhat smooth. I'd say it'll appeal to a lot of PC's out there.
  • Reply 98 of 196
    coraxcorax Posts: 47member
    Sorry but the Archos really sucks. I know. One of my best friends has one, I have to help him with some stupid small things on the device a lot of times and the touchscreen really sucks big time, with the pressure I have to apply I'm afraid the pixels will die, also the quality of the LCD and backlit is saddening. Even a simple iPod Touch feels and looks less cheaper than an Archos.

Besides, look at the photo of DaHarders collection of toys, what a terrible backlit has some (even the "cadillac"...).

And yes, in a way an iPad seems just a larger iPod Touch, until you have one and start using it, than its a totally different class. Oh, and mine has GPS and 3G, so then it's really starting to be different.

And on topic,

Personally I don't like the look of the streak. Also in the presentation video the backlit seems very weak and you have to almost look straight at it to see the image clear. By the way, this is no competition of the iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad, totally different class of product.
  • Reply 99 of 196
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

A true high priest in the temple of "He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins"'

I prefer the more realistic version: He who dies with the most toys .... still dies.
  • Reply 100 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dadsgravy View Post

I don't think that's flop you smell...

Agreed. I think it's the cum. What's with that first line, really? Where did the cum come from?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Dell's latest touchscreen tablet-cum-smartphone will take on Apple's iPhone and iPad in the US on Friday when the company launches its 5-inch Streak for $299 with contract, $549 without.