Apple releases iOS 4.0.2, 3.2.2 with fix for PDF exploit

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday patched a PDF exploit found in its mobile devices with iOS 4.0.2 for the iPhone and iPod touch, and iOS 3.2.2 for the iPad.

The updates address a security hole used by hackers to "jailbreak" the iPhone, iPod touch. The PDF exploit could also be used by hackers to gain remote control over an iOS device.

iOS 4.0.2 is available for the iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and second- and third-generation iPod touch models. iOS 3.2.2 is for the iPad and iPad 3G.

Earlier this month, users released a browser-based hack that took advantage of a PDF exploit in Mobile Safari. The hack could allow users to run unauthorized code on their iOS devices through a process known as jailbreaking.

The jailbreak takes advantage of a PDF exploit that one prominent security expert called "scary." By tricking a user into simply visiting a website and loading corrupted PDFs through the iOS browser, a hacker could take control of an iOS device.

Apple quickly responded after the hack was made public, and said that it had already developed a fix for the issue. It said the PDF exploit would be plugged with a forthcoming update, which was released Wednesday in the form of iOS 4.0.2 and iOS 3.2.2.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 108
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Wednesday patched a PDF exploit found in its mobile devices with iOS 4.0.2 for the iPhone and iPod touch, and iOS 3.2.2 for the iPad.

The updates address a security hole used by hackers to "jailbreak" the iPhone, iPod touch. The PDF exploit could also be used by hackers to gain remote control over an iOS device.

Will it brick previously jailbroken iPhones? I sure hope so. Those Jailbreakers don't have any excuse left for what they do to us.
  • Reply 2 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Will it brick previously jailbroken iPhones? I sure hope so. Those Jailbreakers don't have any excuse left for what they do to us.

What exactly has a Jailbreaker done to you?
  • Reply 3 of 108
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by William 3.0 View Post

What exactly has a Jailbreaker done to you?

Nothing! I'm gonna sit this one out - the exploit has been beneficial.
  • Reply 4 of 108
    I've been looking forward to this update for my iPhone 4, but I had also hoped for a 3.1.4 version for older iOS devices like my iPhone 3G. I'd prefer not to update it to iOS 4.x.
  • Reply 5 of 108
    If I am unable to jailbreak after this, I'll have a case against apple. Jailbreaking is now totally legal.

• Reply 6 of 108
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Seriously? What impact have those who jailbreak their phones had on you?
  • Reply 7 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by latafairam View Post

If I am unable to jailbreak after this, I'll have a case against apple. Jailbreaking is now totally legal.

Yeah right.
  • Reply 8 of 108
    ctwisectwise Posts: 48member
    Quote:

Thanks to the recent DMCA ruling, Apple can't sue you or get you arrested if you jailbreak your phone but there's no requirement that Apple has to facilitate it. Apple is free to try and prevent jailbreaking from happening using technical means, and they're free to deny warranty support to jailbroken phones.

The only people who really care about the ruling are the people who create jailbreak exploits. Those people had a legitimate concern that Apple would pursue legal action against them for creating the exploits. Now they have a legal right to do so.
  • Reply 9 of 108
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:

Just to check - you are joking right?
  • Reply 10 of 108
    Quote:

What have they done? Has a jailbreaker ever damaged your own phone remotely? If anything, I am sure the JB community has actually helped users more than you know.
  • Reply 11 of 108
    Quote:

OH NOEZ !!1ONEOEN ZE JAILBREAKERS ARE OUT TO KILL US

Adi
  • Reply 12 of 108
    s8er01zs8er01z Posts: 144member
    Is this supposed to be out already? Says 4.0.1 is the latest when I check for updates.

Edit: Nevermind... 2 minutes later it says the update is available...downloading now.
  • Reply 13 of 108
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

Man there are some stupid people responding to your posting.

You must be all the way to the bank.
  • Reply 14 of 108
    llamallama Posts: 102member
    Direct links on http://ios.e-lite.org/
  • Reply 15 of 108
    It's out. Already downloaded for the iPhone 4 and now downloading for my 3G.
  • Reply 16 of 108
    s8er01zs8er01z Posts: 144member
    Quote:

You mean leaving AT&Ts pos network? How dare they.
  • Reply 17 of 108
    jpcgjpcg Posts: 114member
    Just downloaded it and I have to say that

Safari feels snappier
  • Reply 18 of 108
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by William 3.0 View Post

I've been looking forward to this update for my iPhone 4, but I had also hoped for a 3.1.4 version for older iOS devices like my iPhone 3G. I'd prefer not to update it to iOS 4.x.

Me too, but is 3.1.3 actually affected by this bug? It would seem quite likely but I have not seen a definite confirmation either way.
  • Reply 19 of 108
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

Me too, but is 3.1.3 actually affected by this bug? It would seem quite likely but I have not seen a definite confirmation either way.

Back in the 1.x days you could jailbrake through safari, so yes this exploit will and has affected everything pre 4.0.2
  • Reply 20 of 108
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
    The could have thrown a few extra fixes in for good measure. What a waste of time.