Apple invention would create custom comic book from game experiences

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
First on AppleInsider: After a user completes a video game, their unique experience -- complete with recorded images and other data -- could be turned into a custom-built comic book or e-book, based on a new patent application from Apple.

Revealed by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office this week, the application entitled "Automatically Generating a Book Describing a User's Videogame Performance" describes a system that would take data from a game, such as a unique character or performance from a game, and turn it into a book, e-book or comic book that the user could read or share. This story would be tailored to specifically represent the experiences of a gamer.

The concept is particularly interesting as video games become more advanced and offer players deep character customization, building an avatar in their own image or however they see fit. In addition, many games now offer players the ability to make complex moral decisions which often affect the outcome of the game.

"However, after completion of the videogame, the user's interaction with the game (and any story presented in the game) is complete," the patent application reads. "Further, the user may be unable to directly access the saved game file to view any data recorded throughout the game."

Apple's application specifically mentions and includes images from the Xbox 360 and PC title Mass Effect, which gives users the option of choosing dialogue for their character. Players can choose to help or harm others around them in a complex world where users are forced to make sometimes difficult moral decisions.

"In games such as Mass Effect, the selection of a dialogue response may make available additional or different dialogue responses," the application reads. "Thus, the entire conversation between the user's player character and the non-player character may be written into the recorded data... and may vary during each gameplay session."

Apple's invention would allow users to easily relive the experiences they created through a game, or share with others how their gameplay experience may have been different. Gamers could also quickly recall their experience rather than playing through the entirety of a game, which in some cases can take dozens of hours to complete.

"The recorded data may include character information, dialogue from the videogame, and results and metrics reflecting the performance of the user in the videogame," the application states. "The recorded data may be inserted into a narrative data structure and have pregenerated text. In some embodiments, the recorded data may be used as the basis for selecting among a plurality of pregenerated text."

The invention could even take into consideration how long a user takes to complete a puzzle in the game. That time, along with achievements, choices, conflicts, items collected and other events in the game, could be woven into the narrative.

Users could even purchase a physical copy of their own, customized comic book. The application describes a method to send the publication off to a server for printing.

Apple, in recent years, has become a major player in the mobile games market, taking an estimated 19 percent share in the U.S. However, portable games on devices like the iPhone and iPad are typically not as detailed and engrossing as those available for console systems like Microsoft's Xbox 360 or Sony's PlayStation 3.

But recent rumors have suggested Apple could get into the console business in a roundabout way, with an updated Apple TV allegedly running the iOS mobile operating system. If the new set top box has access to the App Store and third-party applications like the iPhone and iPad, it could make Apple a player in the console game market like Sony and Microsoft.

The application mentions games on both portable devices and consoles, mentioning systems made by Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony in addition to its own iPhone and iPod touch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    I am not sure about creating a book experience in this way, though it does sound kinda cool.

However I have been saying for a year or so that Apple should make the Apple TV with iOS and completely sync with iPhone. On top of that make the Apple TV play the exact same library of iphone games using the iPhone as the controller.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple/// View Post

I am not sure about creating a book experience in this way, though it does sound kinda cool.

My thought exactly. The idea of saving the game play as a story is interesting, but turning it into a book seems a little odd. Turning it into a short video that could be posted to YouTube or saved in iPhoto would seem more apt. (I mean a stylized cartoon summary of the game, not just some cobbled together collection of video snippets from the game.)

Having said that, kids do read manga/graphic novels, so maybe it's not totally crazy.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    I really like the photo book option in iPhoto. I have just never used it. I see this being the same.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Apple patent + my 400+ hour Oblivion save = FFFFF...

Fan-fiction starts getting released in beautifully-bound hardcover books!
  • Reply 5 of 14
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    The iTV could very well multitask as a gaming console. Most people who would buy it likely owns an iPod Touch, or iPhone, or iPad which can be used as game controllers...
  • Reply 6 of 14
    This patent shows the kind of innovation that Apple can bring to the Game.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    I would much rather have a stylized comic book than a youu tube vid. This will be hot should they release it.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple 1984 View Post

I would much rather have a stylized comic book than a youu tube vid. This will be hot should they release it.

How about something along the lines of a motion comic. best of both worlds. maybe you'd have the option during save to do a digital book or a video 'book'
  • Reply 9 of 14
    This sounds really cool, actually. The only thing is, depending on the game, Apple will probably have issues with some of the morals portrayed in most videogames. Bloody violence, scanty clothing, and disturbing images seem to be a bit harsh for the clean Apple image. I'm not making fun or being sarcastic, just commenting that it doesn't seem like it would all work out .
  • Reply 10 of 14
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    I doubt this will ever see the light of day actually. Think about it, this is a feature that the game publishers should implement. And Apple isn't a game publisher. I doubt Apple is suggesting that they have a way to make this work with any game. It's just a cool concept that could be implemented as part of a game's development. If Apple is granted the patent, I don't know what they would do with it. They just don't have any track record in this area.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple/// View Post

On top of that make the Apple TV play the exact same library of iphone games using the iPhone as the controller.

So would you be looking at the TV or looking at the iPhone, or perhaps switching your focus back and forth, while you play the game? Maybe in time you could become accustomed to pressing the right spot on the iPhone surface without taking your eyes off the TV? For games that don't require precision, that may work, but other games may be downright frustrating to control that way.

It seems a little awkward to me. I'm not convinced that it would quite be correct.

Thompson
  • Reply 12 of 14
    This reminds me of Tom Hanks comic book idea in Big.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I think video replay would be more useful, like what commentators are doing on youtube. I am not sure about what you would do with a comic book.

The only game I would want a comic book for is Half-Life and possibly Half-Life2 series because those were redunculousely long and just beating them to the end is an accomplishment. A comic book could be like a certificate that you did complete the game.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I think video replay would be more useful, like what commentators are doing on youtube. I am not sure about what you would do with a comic book.

My thoughts exactly. There are some really well done fan fiction youtube video out there. Some are put together so well you would think it was professionally done. This Fallout 3 fan fiction video named 'DC Chronicles" is quite excellent. Its IMO as good as anything on TV and is very enjoyable to watch. Here is the link.