Apple rechargeable batteries are likely rebranded Sanyo Eneloops

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    We deduced they were Eneloop the hour they were announced. What we don?t know/still don?t know is which Eneloops they are. The old kind with a 1000 charges or the new and improved Eneloop charged by sunshine and kissed by magic elves before being shipped.
    Old Eneloop

(HR-3UTG / HR-4UTG)

? 1000 charging cycles

? 85 % capacity after 1 year of storage

? Suitable for temperatures as low as -10°C

? Pre-charged by regular energy

New Eneloop

(HR-3UTGA / HR-4UTGA)

? 1500 charging cycles

? 75% capacity after 3 years of storage

? Suitable for temperatures as low as -20°C

? Pre-charged by solar energy
  • Reply 22 of 60
    Can't Apple manufacture something? Apple seems to brag about high quality and doing good for the environment yet they won't manufacture anything in the USA. Well, they don't actually manufacture anything but they could at least buy some things for their computers in the USA. If they went to a high tech company and said they wanted to buy X then a US manufacturer would build a plant just to supply X.

Apple needs to start actually manufacturing things and doing it in the USA. That would show the people that they do support the environment and their country. The margins would be much less but the nation would be greatly helped with billions of products being made in this country. They could at least start with batteries.

Is Apple anti-American? Apple is more interested in the bottom line than their nation. I wish Steve Jobs would read this and decide to make things here instead of just designing them in California.

Since Apple was bold enough to make their products more environmentally sound then they could be bold enough to start making things in the USA.
  • Reply 23 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

If these are relabeled eneloops, that would tick me off a bit. I remember mention that they (Apple) developed the AA batteries. I thought it odd at the time that Apple would research AA battery tech. I don't see anything on the charger product page claiming the batteries are Apple's, though. Perhaps I am remembering wrong and whoever was only talking about the charger.

- Jasen.

Understandable as common usage conflates "batteries" and "cells".

But to be accurate - Apple makes their own BATTERIES which are found in the mobile class devices: MacBook, MacBookPro, iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, iPod. They make a charger for high performance AA CELLS (as noted, the Sanyo Eneloops) with low current vampirism. Apple didn't claim to make the cells, only the charger. The cell technology under current chemistry is pretty cut and dried, with nominal or incremental improvements of a very mature energy system. The AA cell physical framework is being used to prototype other energy systems using hydrogen and other technologies as future replacements for the chemical systems.
  • Reply 24 of 60
    When I got my new iMac with the wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse, I noticed the mouse was chewing through batteries like crazy. I wanted rechargeables but hadn't been impressed with the Energizer ones we used to have for our camera. Found the Eneloops online and every place gave them rave reviews. Amazing performance. No losing the charge after sitting idle for a few weeks. Love. Them.
  • Reply 25 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

Can't Apple manufacture something? Apple seems to brag about high quality and doing good for the environment yet they won't manufacture anything in the USA. Well, they don't actually manufacture anything but they could at least buy some things for their computers in the USA. If they went to a high tech company and said they wanted to buy X then a US manufacturer would build a plant just to supply X.

Apple needs to start actually manufacturing things and doing it in the USA. That would show the people that they do support the environment and their country. The margins would be much less but the nation would be greatly helped with billions of products being made in this country. They could at least start with batteries.

Is Apple anti-American? Apple is more interested in the bottom line than their nation. I wish Steve Jobs would read this and decide to make things here instead of just designing them in California.

Since Apple was bold enough to make their products more environmentally sound then they could be bold enough to start making things in the USA.

You have absolutely no clue about world economics do you? The US has among the highest manufacturing costs in the world. But just wait. China is poised to supplant the US in the consumer economic sector and become the next world economic superpower. When they do, manufacturing will shift back to the US as the economy here buckles under it's own weight. A couple or even a few decades should suffice. With the aging out of the existing population, it's a given. All systems are cyclical in nature.

Tell you what - you lead the way: take a 75% cut in your current earnings, reduce your overall consumption by that same amount and convince everyone you know to do the same. You will be 50% closer to the existing economies that are currently handling the manufacturing that supplies all your consuming needs, wants and desires.
  • Reply 26 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

You have absolutely no clue about world economics do you? The US has among the highest manufacturing costs in the world. But just wait. China is poised to supplant the US in the consumer economic sector and become the next world economic superpower. When they do, manufacturing will shift back to the US as the economy here buckles under it's own weight. A couple or even a few decades should suffice. With the aging out of the existing population, it's a given. All systems are cyclical in nature.

Tell you what - you lead the way: take a 75% cut in your current earnings, reduce your overall consumption by that same amount and convince everyone you know to do the same. You will be 50% closer to the existing economies that are currently handling the manufacturing that supplies all your consuming needs, wants and desires.

He wants the cost of Apple products to jump up even farther so he can complain that they really are too expensive and that Apple only moved production to the US because they are so arrogant and cocky.
  • Reply 27 of 60
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    If I already own a charger for rechargeable batteries, can I use Eneloops in it, or do I need a specific charger? If I didn't already own a charger, I'd buy Apple's charger in a heartbeat. I've been using rechargeable batteries for years.
  • Reply 28 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

If I already own a charger for rechargeable batteries, can I use Eneloops in it, or do I need a specific charger? If I didn't already own a charger, I'd buy Apple's charger in a heartbeat. I've been using rechargeable batteries for years.

It depends. I?ve read that some reviews on Amazon that some chargers, even for NiMH batteries, are so poorly made that they can?t charge these long lasting batteries fully. Whether that means your charge is sufficient, i don?t know. I don?t think anyone does.

Personally, I say just use the ones you have and if they wear out or the duration between charges get inconvenient, then buy some Eneloops with a well rated charger. I see no need to go with Apple?s charger unless you like the look and/or the low power yield when the battery charged. I assume it?s designed to be kept in the wall at all times because of this but I?d rather have a USB one sitting on my desk if I had an iMac with BT keyboard and trackpad. Amazon has plenty of options to fit all needs.
  • Reply 29 of 60
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

who disassembles batteries and why the hell should i care what brand it is on the inside..

Because if they were relabeled Energizer (or a few other brands) rechargables, they would be crap. So if one knows the original, they can make a better informed purchase decision.
  • Reply 30 of 60
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

We deduced they were Eneloop the hour they were announced. What we don?t know/still don?t know is which Eneloops they are. The old kind with a 1000 charges or the new and improved Eneloop charged by sunshine and kissed by magic elves before being shipped.
    Old Eneloop

(HR-3UTG / HR-4UTG)

? 1000 charging cycles

? 85 % capacity after 1 year of storage

? Suitable for temperatures as low as -10°C

? Pre-charged by regular energy

New Eneloop

(HR-3UTGA / HR-4UTGA)

? 1500 charging cycles

? 75% capacity after 3 years of storage

? Suitable for temperatures as low as -20°C

? Pre-charged by solar energy

I got the old Eneloops but my dog's name is Elvis. Would it work if he kissed them?
  • Reply 31 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TinFoil View Post

Eneloops rock. Keep a charge up to a year (not that you'll wait that long with all of the rechargeable devices around the house).

Actually, Eneloops are rated at 85% after one year, 80% after two years and 75% charge remaining after three years of storage.
  • Reply 32 of 60
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Actually, Eneloops are rated at 85% after one year, 80% after two years and 75% charge remaining after three years of storage.

What kind of material is used? NiMh is known for NOT keeping a charge over time, so is this a variant, or something completely different?
  • Reply 33 of 60
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobrk View Post

How much is startling? Are all devices expected to be packed full of stuff now?

Well if it was like the Foldbox in Heinlein's Glory Road, that would be startling. Bigger on the inside than on the outside.
  • Reply 34 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

What kind of material is used? NiMh is known for NOT keeping a charge over time, so is this a variant, or something completely different?

They are still NiMH.

New material inside which does not break down as quickly is what makes them different.

http://www.eneloop.info/home/technology.html
  • Reply 35 of 60
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    When I read this, i keep looking for what is wrong, like they are looking for a battery gate story.

Just putting the apple logo on the box will move a ton of batteries, which seems to be good for the planet.

Nothing to see here folks, move along.
  • Reply 36 of 60
    Quote:

The charger is probably far more important than the batteries.

Cheap (not necessarily inexpensive) chargers can actually ruin a battery.

It should be a "smart" charger and control the charge of each battery independently. If you can only charge 2 or 4 batts at a time, it is (likely) not a quality charger. Also, a fast charger might get you going quicker but will definitely decrease the life of the battery.

If you go to Amazon and look up any rechargable batteries or chargers and look at the the reviews by -> N Lee teh engineer. He has posted a bunch of test resuilts and explains pretty well about everything.
  • Reply 37 of 60
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    AppleInsider should hire an intern to collect Steve Jobs garbage and report the contents back here... It would be more interesting than this article.
  • Reply 38 of 60
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

AppleInsider should hire an intern to collect Steve Jobs garbage and report the contents back here... It would be more interesting than this article.

Trouble with that is you might just see a few scalps in the trash, along with the old jeans and turtlenecks. \
  • Reply 39 of 60
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It depends. I’ve read that some reviews on Amazon that some chargers, even for NiMH batteries, are so poorly made that they can’t charge these long lasting batteries fully. Whether that means your charge is sufficient, i don’t know. I don’t think anyone does.

Personally, I say just use the ones you have and if they wear out or the duration between charges get inconvenient, then buy some Eneloops with a well rated charger. I see no need to go with Apple’s charger unless you like the look and/or the low power yield when the battery charged. I assume it’s designed to be kept in the wall at all times because of this but I’d rather have a USB one sitting on my desk if I had an iMac with BT keyboard and trackpad. Amazon has plenty of options to fit all needs.

To get the best out of your rechargeable batteries, you'll want either the Maha PowerEx MH-C9000 or the LaCrosse BC-900. They're both awesome chargers, really. They both not only can charge your NiMH batteries, but can also do a charge-discharge-charge for new batteries, and a simple discharge-charge to give somewhat older rechargeable batteries new life. You can even program cycles to bring near-dead batteries back to life. They're really great.
  • Reply 40 of 60
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    I am getting one as soon as my Energizer pack finishes. I love Apple products, and this one makes good sense.

Way to go, Apple! Good products sell themselves. Apple is the king of GOOD PRODUCTS!