iPhone 4 remains sold out at half of Apple US retail stores

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by urbanleopard View Post

It would make sense for Apple to restrict supplies if they had a silent hardware fix in the works.

They are NOT restricting supplies. And there is no hardware fix. This whole antenna issue is blown way out. Even the Consumer Reports article noted that they were only talking about diminished reception in areas where ATT already sucks. Where ATT is great, it really don't do jack.

Also if this was a hardware flaw you'd see mass reports all over the world. There were and haven't been.

The only reason why they are giving out the bumpers is because the media hyped up that that was the perfect solution and it is easier and cheaper to just do it than explain why its more often than not unneeded.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

So why can't Apple do what they did with the 3Gs? They had a link on their site for the retail stores that showed whether the 3Gs was in stock or not. If there is such a link, correct me.

Because it would be a total disaster. You would either have folks pissed off because online said the phone were in stock when they checked at home but there's a huge line and the phones are out by the time they get their turn so they are pissed. Or you'd have to have a way to reserve and then the folks in line would be pissed because suddenly there's not enough.

Apparently they tried some kind of reservation thing for a few weeks but folks weren't coming and getting them, or would call in and say they could make it within the day they had and wanted their phone held because they didn't think they should have to go to the end of the line again etc etc. And then there were walk ins that couldn't get a phone so they finally said to hell with that. closed taking names, cycled through who was in the system and now it's first come period.
  • Reply 42 of 52
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

No one knew we had them, we've been turning people away since they launched this happened in one normally quiet weekday afternoon in a suburban shopping centre.

There are multiple discussions boards and twitter feeds dedicated just to this sort of thing up here. As soon as stock arrives anywhere messages start flying and the masses descend. That is assuming that there is no lineup already outside the store, hours before opening, with no information of if the store will even receive stock that day.
  • Reply 43 of 52
    I got lucky, ordered mine just after Jobs finished his antenna press conference. I had to wait for payday, having missed the initial ordering. They said it would ship in three weeks, which would have been last Friday. I got an email last Monday night and got it on Thursday, the day before it was supposed to ship! So maybe their supply is getting a little better.
  • Reply 44 of 52
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Ugh, AI should stop calling it "-gate" unless they're quoting someone. Seriously.

Sometimes you need reductio ad absurdum to show just how silly and overused the whole concept is.
    Gategate ? A scandalous attempt by journalist to sensationalize trivial stories by appending the suffix -gate to semi-topical nouns.
  • Reply 45 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Sometimes you need reductio ad absurdum to show just how silly and overused the whole concept is.
    Gategate ? A scandalous attempt by journalist to sensationalize trivial stories by appending the suffix -gate to semi-topical nouns.

It's funny, but the first time I recall hearing it referred to as antennagate was by Jobs at the press event. Whether they coined it or not, it seems a bit ridiculous to come down on AI or other media for now using the term, since it was used and popularized by Jobs.
  • Reply 46 of 52
    Here we go again. Gene Munster making another inconclusive assessment. How can he say that after polling only 30 APPLE stores that 50 % of Apple stores are out of stock?? Why didn't he poll all the stores in the U.S. and give us a real number. Well I guess thats why mister Munster is an Analist.
  • Reply 48 of 52
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I'm actually hoping that the rumored Verizon phone will lead to unlocked phones in the USA. So i'm trying to stretch my 3G until the end of the year. If that doesn't happen i might just drive to Canada when availability picks up. AT&T isn't bad at all locally but having a locked phone is a real bugger if you travel at all.

It would be interesting to hear about people bringing into the USA unlocked iPhone 4s for use on AT&Ts network. I'm assuming it is relatively easy to do. Canada isn't far away so the drive is nothing more than an afternoon trip.

Dave
  • Reply 49 of 52
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nealg View Post

I thought the number of phones sold was 1.7 million over the first 3 days, not 3.7 million.

You are correct!
  • Reply 50 of 52
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    This is a phone store.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

There are multiple discussions boards and twitter feeds dedicated just to this sort of thing up here. As soon as stock arrives anywhere messages start flying and the masses descend. That is assuming that there is no lineup already outside the store, hours before opening, with no information of if the store will even receive stock that day.

• Reply 51 of 52
    And this is partly why Android phones are trouncing Apple.
  • Reply 52 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

This is a phone store.

You mean a third party retailer not directly affiliated with Apple nor a carrier? Yeah, those stores are getting hammered as well. We have probably 6 or 7 retailers that are carrying the iPhone but they were all sold out on launch day. Same goes for them though, when someone notices they have stock, twitter and the forums light up they are gone quickly. The two big box retailers that are carrying it here haven't received any stock since launch, which is odd, but the smaller mall boutique stores have been getting stock almost as regularly as the carrier mall stores (by regular I mean 1 or 2 small shipments since launch). My store received 2 units in their first and only shipment since launch and they were sold as they were being taken from the carton.