Apple rechargeable batteries are likely rebranded Sanyo Eneloops

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

I am getting one as soon as my Energizer pack finishes. I love Apple products, and this one makes good sense.

Way to go, Apple! Good products sell themselves. Apple is the king of GOOD PRODUCTS!

Yeah yeah, it's obvious you're being wildly sarcastic here. But really, the Sanyo eneloop batteries actually are very good. So it's a good thing Apple chose those for rebranding.
  • Reply 42 of 60
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bengt77 View Post

Yeah yeah, it's obvious you're being wildly sarcastic here. But really, the Sanyo eneloop batteries actually are very good. So it's a good thing Apple chose those for rebranding.

I didn't read his comment as sarcastic, but you never know. At the very least, Apple rebranding Eneloop and making a low power charger should at least alert a few more people to these long-lasting, environmentally friendly option, even if they opt to buy from Apple.
  • Reply 43 of 60
    Since Apple has no experience developing batteries, it's obvious that they would outsource production. The comparison with Sanyo, even if the batteries are Sanyo, isn't valid unless the battery charger has the same features, with respect to the lower power charged state, aka the vampire energy draw. Since Apple does have experience in designing electronics using dedicated rechargeable batteries, they were able to build a better mouse-trap in the design of the charger

Cheers !
  • Reply 44 of 60
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marokero View Post

Good for Apple. I've been using Eneloops for all my flashes since 2006 and never worry about recharging just prior to an event, or about cold weather draining the life away from the batteries. Just wished Sanyo would increase capacity as it has already been 4 years, and Eneloops are still at 2 amps.

Why do amp-hours matter?

With Eneloops/Hybrio (same type of battery), I've had remote controls that didn't need changing for 9 months, and a 550EX flash that is still charged after 6 months (sporadically used like 2-3 small events). I couldn't reproduce this even with lithiums.

They're so much better than non-low-discharge NiMH that the numbers don't mean much anymore (unless you're a professional using a whole lot of amps, yeah)... I'd say for the average consumer, low-discharge NiMH is just plain good enough.
  • Reply 45 of 60
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I bought the new Aluminum Apple Remote and it is so superior over the white plastic one. Worth every penny ($20)

Are you trying to make a joke?

Quote:

I'm selling my iMac 20," my desk, chair, file cabinet, 46" HDTV/stand/DVD player, my AppleTV and will buy a 27" iMac and use it for the odd time I watch a RedBox DVD...got rid of my cable, too.Too expensive, too many commercials, too many wires, too many remotes and too clunky an interface.

If you are happy spending money to purchase a replacement Apple remote that did exactly the same thing as your old remote, why didn't you just get a Harmony remote for your current gear?

Quote:

Only down side is can't get Formula One and also my GF thinks I'm an idiot!

Hmm...
  • Reply 46 of 60
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Are you trying to make a joke?

If you are happy spending money to purchase a replacement Apple remote that did exactly the same thing as your old remote, why didn't you just get a Harmony remote for your current gear?

Hmm...

The Harmony remote IMO is so overblown I don't even know where to start. I certainly think Logitech make the best keyboard and mice for the money, but Harmony... not very Apple-esque.
  • Reply 47 of 60
    I always liked the visual branding of eneloops, and considered purchasing them from time to time, but never did. Didn't know they were actually so good.
  • Reply 48 of 60
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

The Harmony remote IMO is so overblown I don't even know where to start. I certainly think Logitech make the best keyboard and mice for the money, but Harmony... not very Apple-esque.

Overblown? Maybe you should find somewhere to start, as I find my two wonderful, and am very pleased with my purchases.
  • Reply 49 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Overblown? Maybe you should find somewhere to start, as I find my two wonderful, and am very pleased with my purchases.

OK, fair enough.
  • Reply 50 of 60
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Given the problems that various tech companies (Apple, Sony, Dell, etc.) have had with overheating batteries, there might be an advantage to not having the Apple logo on the actual batteries themselves, just on the charger.

Or maybe I'm just cynical...
  • Reply 51 of 60
    There a three OEMs for LSD NiMH cells - Sanyo, GP and Yuasa. Since Sanyo doesn't license its technology, it's more likely that these are GP (ReCyko) or Yuasa (eNiTIME) batteries.
  • Reply 52 of 60
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sos4nt;

There a three OEMs for LSD NiMH cells - Sanyo, GP and Yuasa. Since Sanyo doesn't license its technology, it's more likely that these are GP (ReCyko) or Yuasa (eNiTIME) batteries.

Not true. Licensing is different from rebranding. Duracell rebrands Eneloops for their precharged hybrids. You have to find the 1900 mAh ones with the white ring around the tip and made in Japan on the cell. These are referred to as Duraloops on candlepower forums and such. Apple's cells don't have the white tip, but they're the right amperage and origin.

Eneloops and gp are great but you need the right charger to really max out their potential. I use the powermax charger and get amazing life with my canon speedlights. I also forgot my 5d charger on a three week trip and used the eneloops in a battery grip the whole time. Great batteries.
  • Reply 53 of 60
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Errrr, no, they only said they developed a CHARGER that has the smallest vampire draw on the market. The only thing they say about the batteries is that they are "high-performance"

http://www.apple.com/battery-charger/

Nice catch. Too bad folks here haven't bothered to check out the link.

It's all about the CHARGER
    Quote:

More charges. Less waste.

The Apple Battery Charger has one of the lowest standby power usage values — or "vampire draw" — of similar chargers on the market.1 That's the energy most chargers continue to draw after their batteries are fully charged. But the Apple Battery Charger senses when its batteries are done charging and automatically reduces the amount of power it needs. In addition, the reusable batteries that come with each Apple Battery Charger are designed to maintain a high charge capacity for hundreds of charges, so you no longer have to buy new batteries or toss them every few months.

1. Testing conducted by Apple in February 2010 on a selection of similar leading NiMH rechargeable battery chargers.

Well worth the read. For example, "[The Apple Battery Charger] is optimized for Apple-supplied batteries and it works with AA NiMH batteries from other companies, too."

As far as inferring that the AA's are Apple rebranded, wouldn't they have to have the name Apple or the Apple logo on them?[/SIZE]
  • Reply 54 of 60
    The charger with the lowest vampire draw on the market is the one you unplug between charges.
  • Reply 55 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

The charger with the lowest vampire draw on the market is the one you unplug between charges.

True, if you unplug the charger as soon as charging is complete. But how many people IRL are that vigilant? Are you?
  • Reply 56 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

True, if you unplug the charger as soon as charging is complete. But how many people IRL are that vigilant? Are you?

Heck no. Why should I care about something wasting a few Watts for a few hours?
  • Reply 57 of 60
    Quote:

Thanks for proving my point.
  • Reply 58 of 60
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

Is Apple anti-American? Apple is more interested in the bottom line than their nation. I wish Steve Jobs would read this and decide to make things here instead of just designing them in California.

Between regulations (especially in California), taxes, mandates like the new health care fiasco, and differences in cost of living, Apple can't afford to manufacture devices in the USA. At least not at prices that American consumers will tolerate.

There are many geo-economic and geo-political forces at play. It's not as simple as Apple "wanting" to manufacture in the USA.
  • Reply 59 of 60
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I'm pretty sure that it was designed so people can keep the charger plugged into the wall sovket at all times with the batteries in the charger on the ready. Six batteries means 2 for a keyboard and 2 for the mouse or trackpad Apple currently sells. Since these items use power at different rates and you get plenty of warnings from your Mac that the batteries will need to be replaced shorty having only 6 should suit most of their users.

Another way of looking at it is to ask: Why offer a Vampire Draw for idle use if Apple isn't expecting and assuming these chargers will be kept in the wall socket at all times.

PS: Personally, I'd rather have a USB connected on on my desk always plugged in, but that's me.
  • Reply 60 of 60
    I would rather slightly overpay for any Apple Product than to give a dime to all the other Tech losers out there.

And yes that would be any Tech Company other than Apple.