Apple's rumored iTV rebranding makes UK broadcaster 'furious'

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
A new rumor suggesting the Apple TV could be redesigned and renamed the iTV has caused a stir with ITV, the oldest commercial television network in the U.K.

Even though the Apple iTV name is not official, Mirror.co.uk reported on Friday that executives at the ITV network were "furious" and met with lawyers this week to "stop the move." The network is reportedly looking to achieve a global ban, preventing Apple from using the name in any territory.

"You only have to look at recent problems with the iPhone 4 to see not everything Apple produces is gold dust," a source told the publication. "We all take our ITV brand very seriously and we'll do everything in our power to protect it."

ITV is a public service network that serves as a competitor to the BBC. The station was launched in 1955.

Of course, it's all speculation at this point, as Apple hasn't even announced the alleged Apple TV redesign, let alone officially settled on a name.

The controversy at the ITV network erupted after it was reported this week that the next Apple TV will be renamed to iTV, and will run the iOS mobile operating system. The rumored device will allegedly have a targeted starting price of $99, and will stream 720p content to users' HDTVs.

Having a product with an already-established name is, of course, nothing new for Apple, particularly for its 'i' products. In 2007, it announced the iPhone, only to be sued days later by Cisco, which owned the rights to the name. The Linksys iPhone was released just three weeks before the Apple iPhone was introduced at the Macworld San Francisco keynote in early January 2007.

Just over a month later, Apple and Cisco settled their dispute, with both companies retaining the right to use the iPhone trademark on products throughout the world. Terms of the deal were confidential.

And early this year, after Apple announced the iPad, it was revealed that Fujitsu had already released a product with that name in 2002. But Apple eventually acquired the trademark for the name before the iPad was officially released.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 149
    Someone forgot to take their medicine.....
  • Reply 2 of 149
    This won't be simple for Apple. ITV is a well-known global brand. There will be country by country fights.

I predict "AppleTV."
  • Reply 3 of 149
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    i'm siding with itv the broadcaster on this one. apple tv is a perfectly good name, and lord knows they have enough brand recognition these days...
  • Reply 4 of 149
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Apple has a way of getting what it wants but there may be a situation where it's named iTV everywhere except in the UK. They will have time to fight this out because I see the iTV coming out only for the US for at least a few months.
  • Reply 5 of 149
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Wouldn't be the first time that Apple pissed off a major British institution by infringing on their name.
  • Reply 6 of 149
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Apple has a way of getting what it wants but there may be a situation where it's named iTV everywhere except in the UK. They will have time to fight this out because I see the iTV coming out only for the US for at least a few months.

Itv's a registered mark in the US as well.
  • Reply 7 of 149
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    I do not want to sound ignorant here, considering I know there are number of Brits in this forum, but who the hell is iTV, I have traveled outside the US and even in the UK and never hear of these guys, I hear and watch the BBC and also SkyTV but never once have I ever came across iTV. I think these guys have inflated egos to think they have world wide brand recognition.

Sorry guys there only a few brands that have world wide recognition and even Apple is not top in that list and I know I never seen iTV in that list.
  • Reply 8 of 149
    drdbdrdb Posts: 99member
    "We all take our ITV brand very seriously and we'll do everything in our power to protect it."

Anyone who's ever seen ITV knows how awful everything on it is, so I don't see how they manage to get on their high horse with this.
  • Reply 9 of 149
    drdbdrdb Posts: 99member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I do not want to sound ignorant here, considering I know there are number of Brits in this forum, but who the hell is iTV, I have traveled outside the US and even in the UK and never hear of these guys, I hear and watch the BBC and also SkyTV but never once have I ever came across iTV. I think these guys have inflated egos to think they have world wide brand recognition.

Sorry guys there only a few brands that have world wide recognition and even Apple is not top in that list and I know I never seen iTV in that list.

ITV were the people responsible for the X-Factor and Britain's Got Talent (I think you've got a show called America's Got Talent too), just to give you an idea of the quality from them. They used to be quite good about 20-30 years ago but now they just make reality TV show garbage and shows with the word celebrity in them.
  • Reply 10 of 149
    hexorhexor Posts: 57member
    Amazing how Apple can tick off people with a non-existent product.
  • Reply 11 of 149
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:

I'm not sure how you missed ITV- there are five major channels on every UK television set before you involve cable: BBC1, BBC2, ITV 1, Channel 4 and Channel 5. ITV and the companies that produce programming for it create some of the biggest known television programmes in the world. Not least Granada who product Coronation Street for them, one of the world's longest running soap operas.

On cable/satellite/digital ITV also have ITV2, ITV3 and ITV 4. It's the major commercial channel in the UK. If it rings any bells with a US audience, it's also the channel that Simon Cowell launches his tv shows on - X Factor, Britains Got talent, that went on to spawn American Idol (and now X Factor in the US) and America's got talent. This is no small-fry organisation.

http://www.itv.com/
  • Reply 12 of 149
    "You only have to look at recent problems with the iPhone 4 to see not everything Apple produces is gold dust," a source told the publication.

You'd have to watch ITV for a long time to see that every programme they produce isn't a pile of shite.
  • Reply 13 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drdb View Post

ITV were the people responsible for the X-Factor and Britain's Got Talent (I think you've got a show called America's Got Talent too), just to give you an idea of the quality from them. They used to be quite good about 20-30 years ago but now they just make reality TV show garbage and shows with the word celebrity in them.

Just because they're crap doesn't mean someone can just nick their name. Plus, the two shows you mention have been hugely commercially successful.

I ask everyone here, what would your opinion be if it were Microsoft trying to infringe on someone elses brand?
  • Reply 14 of 149
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new rumor suggesting the Apple TV could be redesigned and renamed the iTV has caused a stir with ITV, the oldest commercial television network in the U.K.

iTV is already trademarked in the U.S.
    Quote:

On Thursday, April 24, 2008, a U.S. federal trademark registration was filed for ITV. This trademark is owned by Skokos, Theodore C., 2801 Turtle Creek Blvd., Dallas, TX 95219.

http://www.trademarkia.com/itv-76688968.html

And iTV, U.K., have they really trademarked the name or just the logo as shown here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ITV_News.svg
  • Reply 15 of 149
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    iTV needs to keep the sole rights to the trademark.

If not, they will be pummeled as everyone and their grandmother, at least outside the UK, will relate the name to Apple.

And iTV knows it, thus them getting panicky.
  • Reply 16 of 149
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hexor View Post

Amazing how Apple can tick off people with a non-existent product.

Amazing how people get ticked off with a non-existent Apple product
  • Reply 17 of 149
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I ask everyone here, what would your opinion be if it were Microsoft trying to infringe on someone elses brand?

I love Apple, but I gotta side with ITV here. Apple can come up with a different name or just stick with AppleTV.
  • Reply 18 of 149
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    Quote:

"You only have to look at recent problems with the iPhone 4 to see not everything Apple produces is gold dust,"

Bringing up antenna-gate is bitchy and unprofessional. There is no Apple product as of today branded as iTv. I too was just in the UK recently and watched the "tele" a few evenings but was unaware of iTV as a network. Still until Apple makes such an announcement keep that upper lip nice and stiff. Besides it's not like Apple reminds the world of something archaic called the house of lords.
  • Reply 19 of 149
    -ag--ag- Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Amazing how people get ticked off with a non-existant Apple product

Exactly.

Some people here it seems, forget that this is a "rumour" site as well as news.

I honestly hope that ITV DO sue Apple over this just to see the look on their faces when Steve walks into court and holds up an "Apple TV" *BOOM* Case closed!!
  • Reply 20 of 149
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member
    iTV and ITV -- totally different. Capitalization is everything!