Hackers patch PDF exploit on older, jailbroken iOS devices

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

Saurik is not a hacker, he is a software engineer. He is not in the business of hacking iPhones, he just writes software, and distributes software for people who choose to stray outside the walled garden.

Saurik is a maverick... he single handedly (as in all by himself) turned iOS (then merely OS X, then iPhone OS) from Darwin BSD into a filesystem and userland that looks like Linux. Then he gave it the Debian package management, apt, long before Apple invented package management with the AppStore, and ported just about every cli tool you can imagine. If this isn't a hack, nothing is.

Bravo, Saurik. But you are one man... just in case, you should take an apprentice... I think Semaphore is up to it. Give him copies of the keys before the unexpected happens... (like your curiosity becomes satisfied and you lose interest or something awful like that).
  • Reply 22 of 27
    My iPad 3G actually works a lot better now that it is jailbreaked and I have installed Backgrounder. Before, Atomic Browser would actually open the wrong links in background tabs on certain sites such as NYTimes and Slate. Now I can multitask on my iPad and everything goes swimmingly. Thanks, Saurik, where ever you are.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    zc456zc456 Posts: 96member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

If apple won't support the 2G and 3G phones with software updates even for exploits, then Apple cannot complain about the hackers doing it.

Nope. Security updates might as well be part of the jailbreaking process.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    Not a bad idea, but not likely to keep up with Apple's patches...

Apple really needs to step-up and patch 3.1.3-limited devices!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zc456 View Post

Nope. Security updates might as well be part of the jailbreaking process.

• Reply 25 of 27
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Who would trust a security patch from a hacker?
  • Reply 26 of 27
    IF a security patch is open source, and compilable by the end user, you can validate it yourself.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

• Reply 27 of 27
    zc456zc456 Posts: 96member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Well you already hacked your device, installed unauthorized apps, and even modified the look of your device beyond what was originally available. Might as well patch it.