NO firewire 800 hub to buy?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I just got my imac 27 inch computer6 weeks ago...nice computer but a MAJOR design flaw...no one sells firewire 800 hubs anywhere...even apple does not knows of anyone who does...have called everyone to no avail...so now how am I to have two fire wire 800 devices going at once...want my $1,700.00 back APPLE sure blew this computer design !!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmfett View Post

I just got my imac 27 inch computer6 weeks ago...nice computer but a MAJOR design flaw...no one sells firewire 800 hubs anywhere...even apple does not knows of anyone who does...have called everyone to no avail...so now how am I to have two fire wire 800 devices going at once...want my $1,700.00 back APPLE sure blew this computer design !!!!!!!!!!

Google "daisy chain firewire devices".
  • Reply 2 of 18
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

http://www.networktechinc.com/hub-1394.html

That was the 5th hit using the search terms "firewire hub" in both Bing and Google.

Backtomac was also correct. One of the reasons for few firewire hubs is that they daisy chain rather well.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    dmfettdmfett Posts: 141member
    I really want a fire 800 hub like the USB one I have...don't really want a daisy change the fire wire...

I only found firewire 400 and not fire wire 800 hubs...

Were the ones you found firewire 800 if so I will be happy!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

http://www.networktechinc.com/hub-1394.html

That was the 5th hit using the search terms "firewire hub" in both Bing and Google.

Backtomac was also correct. One of the reasons for few firewire hubs is that they daisy chain rather well.

• Reply 4 of 18
    Quote:

I really want a fire 800 hub like the USB one I have...don't really want a daisy change the fire wire...

Click the link. It's a firewire 800 hub. It's expensive but looks like it does what it says.

What do you have against daisy chaining? Firewire works excellent that way and it's less clutter.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Way too pricy for only one extra plug in...I want to keep the HD away from the time machine HD as I really do not want time machine to go into another HD...

Funny that Apple makes us have one Firewire 800 and does not provide a inexpensive hub...what was Apple thinking...love Apple but they blew it on Firewire 800...

QUOTE=Bancho;1696392]Click the link. It's a firewire 800 hub. It's expensive but looks like it does what it says.

What do you have against daisy chaining? Firewire works excellent that way and it's less clutter.[/QUOTE]
  • Reply 6 of 18
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

To reiterate Bancho's point, FireWire is not USB. FireWire was designed to be daisychained.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    So I get it, sort of?/??...but what is one to do if they do not have a external HD and need to run a camera and another device to the firewire 800 as there is no way to daisy chaine my old camera to another devise?

Apple blew it on firewire 800 as I see it!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

To reiterate Bancho's point, FireWire is not USB. FireWire was designed to be daisychained.

• Reply 8 of 18
    Quote:

So I get it, sort of?/??...but what is one to do if they do not have a external HD and need to run a camera and another device to the firewire 800 as there is no way to daisy chaine my old camera to another devise?

Most FW drives have a second FireWire port. That allows you to DC them. If you just have to have a FW port get a NewerTech stackable FW HD. It acts as a FW hub as well with several FW ports.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:

You may use a FireWire 400 to FireWire 800 adapter. Otherwise, I don't understand your problem. If you have a device with more than one FireWire port, then you may use it to daisychain other devices. For example, my external HDD has three FireWire ports--one FireWire 400 and two FireWire 800 ports. My desktop computer has one FireWire 800 and two FireWire 400 ports. How many ports does your computer have? How many ports do your peripherals have among them.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,457member
    Quote:

Not at all. The problem here is that you've decided on a solution (that isn't the correct one), and you aren't willing to consider alternatives. I'd say that you blew it.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    HOW WRONG YOU ARE!!!!

For the record, I have a mimistack V3 2TB hooked to my 27 inch iMac by way of firewire 800...I also love the speed of firewire 800 as s its way faster than my ministack v2 400GB.

I did "YOUR" daisy change with the V3 hooked to the iMac and the Canon ZR500 connecter to the firewire 800 on the v3...and guess what? iMovie did not take the ZR500 camera...also for the record, the ZR500 works just fine connected to the iMac with out the daisy change.

So this is why I want a cheep or expensive hub for firewire 800. I did not try the daisy change idea till everyone had a fit and wondered why I did not want to do it, ...I did it, but the daisy change does not work with the ZR500...no I have no plans on a new video camera for some time...The ZR500 work just fine connected to imac in iMovie 9 and final cut express...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Programmer View Post

Not at all. The problem here is that you've decided on a solution (that isn't the correct one), and you aren't willing to consider alternatives. I'd say that you blew it.

• Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:

HOW WRONG YOU ARE!!!!

For the record, I have a mimistack V3 2TB hooked to my 27 inch iMac by way of firewire 800...I also love the speed of firewire 800 as s its way faster than my ministack v2 400GB.

I did "YOUR" daisy change with the V3 hooked to the iMac and the Canon ZR500 connecter to the firewire 800 on the v3...and guess what? iMovie did not take the ZR500 camera...also for the record, the ZR500 works just fine connected to the iMac with out the daisy change.

So this is why I want a cheep or expensive hub for firewire 800. I did not try the daisy change idea till everyone had a fit and wondered why I did not want to do it, ...I did it, but the daisy change does not work with the ZR500...no I have no plans on a new video camera for some time...The ZR500 work just fine connected to imac in iMovie 9 and final cut express...

Well that's how I connect my Sony camcorder to my Mac. They DC through my Seagate HDD just fine. <shrugs shoulders>

Anyway, are you mad Apple or the manufacturer of your HDD? Your nerd rage is should be focused on the HDD manufacturer and not Apple. Somehow you've got a HDD that has a bad FW port or controller. DCing FW devices is a *great* feature of FW. Not an inconvenience as you seem to think. The ability to DC FW devices is an advantage of FW over USB. It was designed at the outset to work this way.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:

HOW WRONG YOU ARE!!!!

The Canon ZR500 doesn't even support firewire 800 so daisychaining it would drop the speed of the chain to firewire 400 speed. Even connected to a hub, the speed will drop to that supported by the slowest connected device.

Given that, your real best bet would be to just get a firewire 400 hub if you're having issues daisychaining the camera off the drive. Amazon's got 6 port hub for $42 (there's plenty more but that's the first hit I got). If I were solving this problem for myself, this is how I would do it.

BTW, here's a link to more firewire 800 hub/repeaters:

http://www.synchrotech.com/product-1...eaters_00.html

There's 3, 4 and 5 port versions at that link. They're not cheap however and that's just how it is with firewire 800. It's a great technology but it's not widespread at all. The firewire 400 ecosystem dwarfs it by a very large margin. If you actually have a need (and devices that will actually take advantage of it unlike your ZR500) then it's great.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

The Canon ZR500 doesn't even support firewire 800 so daisychaining it would drop the speed of the chain to firewire 400 speed. ....

FireWire 400 is roughly twice as fast as USB 2. FireWire 400 is not as fast as FireWire 800, but it is still pretty darned good.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

FireWire 400 is roughly twice as fast as USB 2. FireWire 400 is not as fast as FireWire 800, but it is still pretty darned good.

I agree entirely, but the fact that it slows the firewire 800 down to 400 nullifies dmfett's issues regarding firewire 800. He's stuck at the max speed his camera can operate at (which is still pretty fast and much better throughput than USB2).
  • Reply 16 of 18
    seek3rseek3r Posts: 179member
    Quote:

a quick google shopping search also turns up:

this for about $30 less than the other one
  • Reply 17 of 18
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    http://www.nitroav.com/store/home.php

$149 for an 8-port if you don't want to daisychain
  • Reply 18 of 18
    This is priced right and what I looking for! Could not find this one!

Thanks!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by seek3r View Post

a quick google shopping search also turns up:

this for about $30 less than the other one