Apple seeds first Mac OS X 10.6.5 build to developers

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Developers report Apple has just made available the first build of what will ship as the free Mac OS X 10.6.5 update later this fall.

The new build, numbered 10H525, incorporates solutions to existing problems with Exchange Server support, fixes user interface issues with embedded WebKit views in applications such as iTunes, and includes the graphics drivers in the earlier Snow Leopard Graphics Update release.

Apple is asking developers in particular to test iCal, Mail, printing, OpenGL 3D Graphics, QuickTime and the X Window X11 subsystems.

The current release of Mac OS X was last updated in June following WWDC. The initial developer build of 10.6.5 was anticipated to ship nearly a month ago in late July, but has continued to slip as Apple continues to focus its efforts on NVIDIA graphics drivers and related issues.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Sounds good. Thanks.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    Hope they rake a long look at Mail. It worked great for me on gmail for months, then one day poof, couldn't find the surfer. Troubleshot it for a while, couldn't fix it, switched to ThunderBird. Miss Mail though.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Must be a limited audience for this release. Haven't seen the notice yet.

-Chris
  • Reply 4 of 38
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I wonder if OpenGL support has been upgraded.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by elliots11 View Post

Hope they rake a long look at Mail. It worked great for me on gmail for months, then one day poof, couldn't find the surfer. Troubleshot it for a while, couldn't fix it, switched to ThunderBird. Miss Mail though.

I would post your issue and attempted resolutions in detail at the MacOSXhints forums. It's a great place for resolving most issues.
  • Reply 5 of 38
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    OSX seems so stable to me right now. I'd appreciate a new release of iLife and iWork - just bought a new iMac 21" i3. I couldn't hold-out anymore in waiting for those next releases.

We haven't had a separate security updates for quite some time even though I hear of many exploits coming out of recent hacking events. It would be more comforting if Apple released security updates more frequently than OSX builds to put its users (like me) at ease. Lord knows the hackers are finding the holes so maybe Apple should hire these people to harden the OS.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    Sweet - I hope they fix the X11 bugs. Can't run 11gR2 netmgr without xQuartx.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    I hope it fixed my SMB windows sharing...ever since 10.6.3 it's been on and off...
  • Reply 8 of 38
    bc kellybc kelly Posts: 148member
    The "Finder View Search Prefs" will ever be "fixed" ?

You know, like it used to be in 10.4 or 10.5

Could order the "results" by "size" - remember ?

Or even search selected Disc/Drives and ONLY those

Etc etc

Is a "hack" I found, somewhere, that allows altering via Terminal, or something - sorry forget now what it was, but found it and did it, so able to "work around"

But is not very "elegant" nor "simple" when we have to resort to "hacks" to do something in OSX that used to be automatic, dig ?

Ergo ... hope others will also keep Apple's feet to the fire to "fix" this

Thanks, BC

• Reply 9 of 38
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I hope the latest track pad update gets some fine tuning. I've noticed lately that track pad behaviour can be a bit glitchy. I really like the new scrolling behaviour on my MBP so I'm not going back.

Driver improvements for the GPU on the early 2008 MBP would be welcomed too.

In any event SL has been pretty darn good for me.

Dave
  • Reply 10 of 38
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I wonder if OpenGL support has been upgraded.

From some I've the reports I've seen, Apple at the urging of Valve and others is really starting to get serious about their OpenGL implementation. With the drivers in development some willing to break the NDA have reported scores up to 3 times higher in OpenGL Viewer and significantly higher game performance on all cards.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    Let's hope they fixed this, that, maybe this and hopefully that as well. Their wireless SMB transfers suck. Browsing SMB file shares is dog slow as well. Been that way since day 1 of snow leopard's release.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Developers report Apple has just made available the first build of what will ship as the free Mac OS X 10.6.5 update later this fall. ... Apple is asking developers in particular to test iCal, Mail, printing, OpenGL 3D Graphics, QuickTime ...

I'm starting to think they have given up on Quicktime development entirely.

Here we are 4 or five revisions in from the buggy, kludgy mess that was released as "Quicktime X" and still it's a "work in progress" lacking some of the most basic features and capabilities of the original Quicktime and still with a few entirely new problems of it's own.

I know it only came out with Snow Leopard, but it's a core OS component. You'd think it would be working a lot better by now.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    The point upgrades seem to not do much but they do effect the feel I think, the stability. I have been using OS since 10.1 and by the time you get in to the later point updates (e.g. .9) the OS feels a lot more rock solid than the .0 did.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I'm starting to think they have given up on Quicktime development entirely.

Here we are 4 or five revisions in from the buggy, kludgy mess that was released as "Quicktime X" and still it's a "work in progress" lacking some of the most basic features and capabilities of the original Quicktime and still with a few entirely new problems of it's own.

I know it only came out with Snow Leopard, but it's a core OS component. You'd think it would be working a lot better by now.

Any chance you could elaborate on the problems you're seeing with Quicktime X? I've been thinking of buying the Pro licence, mostly to allow me to convert movies to a format useable by my Apple TV and iPad.

If you see issues with Quicktime, would you say they would adversely effect what I'm trying to do, and would you have any other recommendations in it's place?

Thanks.
  • Reply 15 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Any chance you could elaborate on the problems you're seeing with Quicktime X? I've been thinking of buying the Pro licence, mostly to allow me to convert movies to a format useable by my Apple TV and iPad.

If you see issues with Quicktime, would you say they would adversely effect what I'm trying to do, and would you have any other recommendations in it's place?

Thanks.

I haven't used the Quicktime player much, but I was astonished to see that apparently you can't make a selection in a clip under Quicktime X, to crop or copy. Fortunately, when QTX was introduced, I heeded others' advice and rescued Quicktime Player 7 from my install discs.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Thanks.

Without going into too much detail, the issue is that the new version that shipped with Snow Leopard (Quicktime X), doesn't have some of the most basic features the old version (Quicktime 7) does.

They are supposed to be adding these features to Quicktime X, but they simply haven't done anything. There are also a few things in Quicktime X that are completely unfinished. There are no preferences for instance, and the "recently viewed" list cannot be disabled. There is also no cut and paste and a bunch of other things that are probably too minor to get into.

Quicktime 7 (the old version) is an optional install on Snow Leopard so if you have your install discs you can install it, or possibly download it from Apple. Whatever you do, don't waste the money on upgrading to "Pro." the new version doesn't have to be registered to work, and the old version only needs an install code which should be easy to find in lots of places, since it's been around for years.

I don't usually recommend "illegal" use in this way, but it's really the only option right now since Apple hasn't added any of the old features to the new product even though they have discontinued the whole "Pro" is more features than "regular" thing with the new product. So in this case there are features you just won't see unless you have both versions and the old one is "Pro."
  • Reply 17 of 38
    [QUOTE=

Apple is asking developers in particular to test iCal, Mail, printing, OpenGL 3D Graphics, QuickTime and the X Window X11 subsystems. [/QUOTE]

Mail has had this, confirmed many times, problem for the last 5 years.

The Rules window will extend off the bottom of the screen, taking the control buttons off screen, when more than 25 rules are entered.

Geniuses, Apple phone techs, Apple internet support have all repeatedly confirmed this problem. Result... this feature has been in place since 2004 and remains.

Jim
  • Reply 18 of 38
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimoase View Post

Mail has had this, confirmed many times, problem for the last 5 years.

The Rules window will extend off the bottom of the screen, taking the control buttons off screen, when more than 25 rules are entered.

Geniuses, Apple phone techs, Apple internet support have all repeatedly confirmed this problem. Result... this feature has been in place since 2004 and remains.

Jim

Why fix it, when it's just not an interesting problem?
  • Reply 19 of 38
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quicktime X isn't bad. I find it handles H.264 much, much better than Quicktime 7. Plus it just looks cooler. But don't get me wrong, Quicktime X isn't supposed to be a complete replacement for Quicktime 7... if you want Quicktime 7, you can still install it under Snow Leopard by installing it from the optional packages in the disc. It's now installed under Utilities in Applications, once its installed.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    A new bug introduced in Mac OS 10.6.4 was that album cover art no longer shows up when using Quick Look. Annoying as hell. Hopefully this will be fixed 6.5!