Apple manager charged with leaking secrets for kickbacks

Comments

• Reply 21 of 94
    rnp1rnp1 Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

If convicted, prison time would be too good. Make him face Steve. In person.

Then... an iphone video while the noose goes around the neck! (ala Sadam)

"Go ahead....make my day!"

PS Backdating is MicroSoft's reason for living! (See Parish Investments)

and : .pulitzer.org/archives/7190[/url]
  • Reply 22 of 94
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

This is not good for people who live on Apple rumor sites. Like US!

There where two problems here.

One is the unofficial leaks. The other is taking money for those leaks. Leaks of consummer interest won't dry up totally but the blatant industrial espionage will. Sometimes it makes one wonder if the ethical issues are worth working in China.

By the way you still would have issues in other parts of the world, it is just that China is well noted for its knock off industries.
  • Reply 23 of 94
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by balsy2001 View Post

There should be an asterisk after "inside" and it should say:

*Except for backdating stock options.

Backdating stock options, in and of itself, is not illegal. You need to try a little harder to draw that connection. Not that it's impossible, mind you, it's just that you can't score a point for your wit that easily.
  • Reply 24 of 94
    jz1492jz1492 Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

This is not good for people who live on Apple rumor sites. Like US!

Next time Apple introduces a new sensor or a new form factor, it will have a better chance of surprising us at the event, but a slimmer chance of a suitable protective case being available for the first buyers.

Anyway, who'd rush to be an early adopter if not to show off for at least a few weeks? Which is I guess time enough for the first cases to become available.
  • Reply 25 of 94
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Except everyone involved with that was immediately fired when it came to light and then prosecuted. Just like this time.

Not everyone involved with the backdating of Apple options was fired... Just the people that did something sneaky with respect to the accounting for them... which, by the way, is the main way to get in trouble when backdating.

Thompson
  • Reply 26 of 94
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    LOL Of all the things not to do at Apple that would be the one I?d be most afraid of. I?d rather tug on Superman?s cape or pull the mask off that old Lone Ranger before I leaked secrets at Apple.

A couple things should come of this. Leaks will drop a bit because this leak has been plugged, although the secrets look they were sold to other tech companies not to the press. And we?ll see Apple tighten up security even more, perhaps even going to the extreme (read: extreme for Apple.).
  • Reply 27 of 94

deleted

• Reply 28 of 94
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

If you have legal knowledge on the practice of "backdating stock options" I'd love for you to share, but I'm guessing you've already "shot your load" on this issue.

Load would be too generous a term.
  • Reply 29 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Not everyone involved with the backdating of Apple options was fired... Just the people that did something sneaky with respect to the accounting for them... which, by the way, is the main way to get in trouble when backdating.

Thompson

Yeah, that's what I meant. Thanks for the clarification.
  • Reply 30 of 94
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    ...until proven guilty in court. Remember?

No, the angry and self-righteous mob never does.

Anyways, I have no doubt he will be proven guilty, but I have doubts about the extent of his actions. And it doesn't seem that Apple was harmed in any significant way, rather he may have been giving some suppliers a competitive edge against other suppliers.
  • Reply 31 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by balsy2001 View Post

There should be an asterisk after "inside" and it should say:

*Except for backdating stock options.

Do you often make snippy sounding statements that are totally off-base to make yourself feel superior? Do you often interrupt discussions at the grown-ups table, with some lame idea of moral equivalence, so you can feel better about being a brat?

I do seem to remember the Justice Department's statements regarding Apple's openness over the matter, and the lack of subsequent prosecution.

You can go back to the kiddy table now.
  • Reply 32 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Anyways, I have no doubt he will be proven guilty, but I have doubts about the extent of his actions. And it doesn't seem that Apple was harmed in any significant way, rather he may have been giving some suppliers a competitive edge against other suppliers.

I'm sure you have REALLY well founded doubts.

Congratulations, and seriously... who are you again?
  • Reply 33 of 94
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    Quote:

The self-righteous mob never considers what they would do in the same situation, faced with accepting a million dollars in bribes, or just walking away. Everyone, EVERYONE, has a price. Even Steve Jobs.

Apple needs to change managers more often to prevent this sort of thing from happening.
  • Reply 34 of 94
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

... who are you again?

I could ask you the same, if I would give a rat's behind...
  • Reply 35 of 94
    Greed!
  • Reply 36 of 94
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

If convicted, prison time would be too good. Make him face Steve. In person.

Nah, just make him face a firing squad.
  • Reply 37 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jz1492 View Post

Next time Apple introduces a new sensor or a new form factor, it will have a better chance of surprising us at the event, but a slimmer chance of a suitable protective case being available for the first buyers.

Anyway, who'd rush to be an early adopter if not to show off for at least a few weeks? Which is I guess time enough for the first cases to become available.

Yeah, I get really heartbroken and distraught over the immediate availability of $20 pieces of plastic.

I'm sure electronics manufacturers really need to double check the needs of everyone with a low-end plastic molding manufacturing shop before they invest millions into a device. It's a multi-billion dollar parasite iPod/iPhone accessory market, you'd think they'd just be happy Apple has created a niche they can parasite from.

In other *groundbreaking news*...

New research indicates that dogs actually wag their own tails, and not the other way around.

• Reply 38 of 94
    Quote:

I could ask you the same, if I would give a rat's behind...

Well exactly, but the burden of proof is on you with your insane prejudices and ideas. Sounds like the article has more detail and depth than any of your 'doubts'. Until Dr. Doppio is given some kind of official recognition, the only spot open for you is in the gutter-snipe section.

I'm sure you live in a fantastical bizarro universe, but until you produce some actual photos... don't get mad if everyone else says it's only in your imagination. Is Oswald in there with you?
  • Reply 39 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post

The self-righteous mob never considers what they would do in the same situation, faced with accepting a million dollars in bribes, or just walking away. Everyone, EVERYONE, has a price. Even Steve Jobs.

Apple needs to change managers more often to prevent this sort of thing from happening.

'Everyone has a price"? That's one of those often spouted, meaningless and totally indefensible non-sequiturs for selling bad book and movie plots. Fact time... Everyone can be a criminal, but the overwhelming majority aren't. Price is meaningless, and no matter how big the bribe, it's pretty difficult to enjoy thru bars in your 8x8 cell.

Instead of managing iPods and iPhones, these two can manage their bunks, toilet bowls and shower rape. Cause... everybody has their price!
  • Reply 40 of 94
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Except everyone involved with that was immediately fired when it came to light and then prosecuted. Just like this time.

ummm...were they???