One third of iPhone owners waiting for Verizon to upgrade

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 134
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

Ask Steve:

Once a company devises a great product, he says, it has a monopoly in that realm, and concentrates less on innovation than protecting its turf. ?The Mac user interface was a 10-year monopoly,? says Jobs. ?Who ended up running the company? Sales guys. At the critical juncture in the late ?80s, when they should have gone for market share, they went for profits. They made obscene profits for several years. And their products became mediocre. And then their monopoly ended with Windows 95. They behaved like a monopoly, and it came back to bite them, which always happens.?

Well, marketshare might be good for them as a company, but as consumers, we want them to make lots of profits.
  • Reply 122 of 134
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Nope. On Verizon, you can't multitask.

The iPhone has the best multitasking of any phone, and Steve won't allow the User Experieice to suffer like it would if he let Verizon have his phone.

The single greatest thing about the iPhone is the ability to multitask while making a call. You can order flowers for your wife, for example, and pretend that you hadn't forgotten her birthday. Try THAT with Verizon!!!

Technically, you can if a WiFi spot is available. Yes, it's a minor inconvenience to not be able to use data while on a call currently, but LTE is supposed to be up and running in a good deal of places by early next year. Just in time if the iPhone does go to Verizon.

And what about the Samsung Captivate? I've heard that it's gotten some great reviews and it's got "multitasking" just the same, since it's on AT&T too.
  • Reply 123 of 134
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VanFruniken View Post

If the users that are keen on staying with Verizon, wait long enough, it is Verizon that will upgrade (and join basically all other carriers world wide) to GSM-based LTE in their upcoming G4 network, leaving CDMA behind. Then everything will fall into place and Apple won't have to deal with a standard that is mostly useless abroad.

The wait for G4 won't be long as Verizon will be deploying it in 2011, starting with 20-30 major markets before the end of 2010 (cf. http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-12261_7-10209933-51.html).

Recently, Clearwire floated a trial balloon about them upgrading to LTE even during their nationwide rollout of WiMax.
  • Reply 124 of 134
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

Again - Apple can write those sales off. They are not going to compete there. Why do you ignore what I say?

Its not about writing those sales off, Apple doesn't even compete in that part of the market. It isn't even their concern in the first place.

Quote:

There is a difference between not being able to build enough and just not competing on Verizon with Android.

First they would need to build more to compete with Android on Verizon.
  • Reply 125 of 134
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Nope. On Verizon, you can't multitask.

The iPhone has the best multitasking of any phone, and Steve won't allow the User Experieice to suffer like it would if he let Verizon have his phone.

The single greatest thing about the iPhone is the ability to multitask while making a call. You can order flowers for your wife, for example, and pretend that you hadn't forgotten her birthday. Try THAT with Verizon!!!

The feature could be available and just noted to work in certain markets with certain conditions. This is true of voice and data today on AT&T. You cannot get data and make a voice call under EDGE.

Verizon could light up all their LTE network, declare the iPhone 4G will be able to use both voice and data in places where there is LTE service and much like AT&T with EDGE, you will be limited in markets where they only have EVDO. Verizon has said their LTE network will cover 100 million people by the end of the year. It doesn't mean they will be great people, or not charge a premium, or anything else. It just means using voice/data as a consideration really won't be a strong point once they light up their LTE network.
  • Reply 126 of 134
    Does anyone know when the iphone will have a wifi only or turn off 3g/2g data option. I want to switch to wifi only mode when the iphone is close to hitting to 200MB cap. Or maybe the option is there already but i didn't notice it. I'm currently using ios 4.0.2
  • Reply 127 of 134
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnnwuch View Post

Does anyone know when the iphone will have a wifi only or turn off 3g/2g data option. I want to switch to wifi only mode when the iphone is close to hitting to 200MB cap. Or maybe the option is there already but i didn't notice it. I'm currently using ios 4.0.2

In 4.x, Settings => General => Network => Cellular Data [Off].

If you do go over your 200MB plan or are under 200MB on your 2GB plan you can contact AT&T anytime by dialing 611 during that active cycle to switch to the most economical plan without any charge or penalty for the change up.

PS: If you are looking to stay off the cellular networks altogether but want WiFi data you can go Settings => Airplane Mode [Off], then WiFi => Wi-Fi [On].
  • Reply 128 of 134
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Just because Verizon turns on their LTE network doesn't automatically mean their will be LTE radio chips available right now. Things don't happen that fast.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Verizon could light up all their LTE network, declare the iPhone 4G will be able to use both voice and data in places where there is LTE service and much like AT&T with EDGE, you will be limited in markets where they only have EVDO. Verizon has said their LTE network will cover 100 million people by the end of the year. It doesn't mean they will be great people, or not charge a premium, or anything else. It just means using voice/data as a consideration really won't be a strong point once they light up their LTE network.

• Reply 129 of 134
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Just because Verizon turns on their LTE network doesn't automatically mean their will be LTE radio chips available right now. Things don't happen that fast.

Agreed, which means that ALL iPhones will not work on any LTE network because none of them (3G/3GS/4) have the chipset required for LTE networking.
  • Reply 130 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

What's fast? They've been testing it for a year already and have said they won't have any phones for it until the beginning of 2011. The FCC has already approved LTE phones.
  • Reply 131 of 134
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

What's fast? They've been testing it for a year already and have said they won't have any phones for it until the beginning of 2011. The FCC has already approved LTE phones.

I believe you, so which phones? Which chips are they using to get LTE? Is it a separate chip or a combo chip like we've seen "in progress" from Qualcomm for years? What is the 1ku cost of this chips? How big are they? How much power do they use? Do they have any support chip requirements that could also increase size and power consumption?

These are just a few questions off the top of my head I've been trying to answer. So far, I've seen nary a product that would work for the iPhone. The iPad, sure, but I bet there will be a marked battery hit on that device.
  • Reply 132 of 134
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A survey of 1,000 consumers indicates that a significant number of subscribers are waiting to purchase the expected Verizon iPhone 4, indicating new threats for both AT&T and Android.

A report by market research firm Morpace shows that the majority of interest being expressed in a Verizon-compatible iPhone comes from existing Verizon customers.

While 29 percent of all respondents said they were somewhat or very likely to purchase an iPhone on Verizon's network, 51 percent of current Verizon subscribers said they were waiting to buy it. Those sales would likely come from Android and BlackBerry customers.

Among all AT&T subscribers, 23 percent said they'd be interested in switching to Verizon for an iPhone, while 22 percent of Sprint subscribers and 20 percent of T-Mobile customers said the same. However, among AT&T's iPhone users, 47 percent said they "would consider" a switch to Verizon once the iPhone becomes available there.

Additionally, over a third existing iPhone users who have not yet upgraded to the latest iPhone 4 said they were waiting for it to become available on another carrier before they upgrade, indicating significant pent up demand over and above the record sales Apple has already seen on AT&T since the launch of iPhone 4.

At the same time, the fact that only a third of users who decided not to upgrade to iPhone 4 waited because they wanted the option of another carrier seems to be good news for AT&T, and flies in the face of claims that most users aren't satisfied with AT&T.

The responses seem to align with the unexpectedly high satisfaction rates iPhone users expressed for AT&T in a recent Yankee Group survey that said 73 percent of US iPhone users were happy with their carrier.

Additionally, a ChangeWave report indicates that only 13 percent of iPhone users said they were "very likely" to switch to Verizon, while another 18 percent said they were only "somewhat likely" to make the switch.

The impact of broader iPhone 4 availability in the US

In its report, Morpace concluded that "the impact on other Verizon smart phones that have not previously had to compete directly with the iPhone may be significant if Verizon begins to carry the iPhone. It could drastically impact the purchase of other phones."

The lack of availability of the iPhone on Verizon has offered Android a fertile niche to expand its sales as a platform, allowing Android to outpace Apple's iPhone in unit sales in the US in stark contrast to most other markets globally, where Android has experienced real growth but has not yet rivaled iPhone sales.

The report also noted that a sharp increase in iPhone subscribers on Verizon may result in "concerns over how the Verizon network will handle the bandwidth demands of iPhone users."

Growing tensions between Apple and AT&T appear to now outweigh the benefits Apple has enjoyed in its exclusive partnership with the carrier in the US. Along with the increased competitive threat from Android-based devices on Verizon, this has resulted in circumstances that make it appear all but certain that Apple will launch a Verizon model of the iPhone early next year, with new evidence regularly pointing to that inevitability.

really !

and the earth is round right

A I really knows its stuff

• Reply 133 of 134
    Boy, the complexities of cellphone technologies revealed by these posts! Enlightening and way beyond me.

All I know is that I have an iPhone 3G in NYC and my calls still get dropped all the time.

I wish I could buy an iPhone, and I don't care whose system it's on... that "Just Works."
  • Reply 134 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I believe you, so which phones? Which chips are they using to get LTE? Is it a separate chip or a combo chip like we've seen "in progress" from Qualcomm for years? What is the 1ku cost of this chips? How big are they? How much power do they use? Do they have any support chip requirements that could also increase size and power consumption?

These are just a few questions off the top of my head I've been trying to answer. So far, I've seen nary a product that would work for the iPhone. The iPad, sure, but I bet there will be a marked battery hit on that device.

I'm sorry I haven't gotten to this sol. One point, first I didn't mean to imply that there was a combo chip that would do GSM/CDMA and LTE. When people are banging out their rationales for why Apple can't possibly do this or that, I like to show it can be done even if Apple chooses not to do it.

So realize I was addressing two points. Those who declared Apple wouldn't sell CDMA because they wanted a world phone. Several Android phones are coming out that will be both CDMA and GSM.

There have been multiple leaks, like this one, showing that clearly there is a CDMA/GSM chip available and it is going into phones like the Droid 2 soon.

Reports like this one note the approval and pending sale of the first LTE phone. The point with LTE is obviously it would be able to do voice and data at the same time when using an LTE network so Apple wouldn't be giving up anything prior to what they had before.

There have been different articles I've read that have estimates on numbers and timelines. The 100 million number was from an article I read involving the Verizon CFO. I wish I had more time to get to it all and to the depth you request. Sorry but I didn't want to put you off any longer on this and still haven't hit it very well.