Antennagate hits Verizon's Android Motorola Droid 2

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's efforts to describe the antenna problems associated with iPhone 4 as an engineering issue facing all phone makers is getting a little help from Motorola, which has released Droid 2 to a series of complaints from users regarding poor signal.

A report by TechCrunch says "a good number of reports" from users of Verizon's new Android-based Droid 2, built by Motorola, are complaining about signal problems even without touching the phone.

The report also noted that all four of the Droid 2 phones tested by Engadgetin its review of the phone demonstrated "endlessly fluctuating bar counts," in addition to problems reported by two other reviewers.

Most of the Droid 2 users commenting on the report said they had also experienced signal problems with the new phone, which just shipped days ago, although a couple users said they hadn't seen any problems. Others reported a problem with low battery life.

Not holding it wrong

Motorola's problem differs from the issue related to iPhone 4; users can attenuate their signal on Apple's latest phone only by holding the bare phone in such a way that the lower left corner is covered up.

Using iPhone 4 within a case, or holding the phone in a more open grip, have both been reported to solve the issue, branded as "Antennagate" by the media after Gizmodo first published videos of a user demonstrating how the phone's signal could be manipulated at will.

With Droid 2, users who are experiencing the problem report that it happens even while sitting idle and "without holding it wrong," according to the report.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 145
    I got the Droid Incredible as a replacement for my iphone because At&t doesn't work at all in NYC. The reception has been amazing and no dropped calls anymore where I had at least 3 a day from At&t. But the bar situation is completely worthless. I usually have 1 bar, and it jumps around all day so I don't even bother looking at them anymore. Made tons of calls with no bars at all. Surprised this wasn't something Apple brought up in their conference. Will hang out in my Android lair until iPhone comes to VZW.
  • Reply 2 of 145
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by therakker View Post

I got the Droid Incredible as a replacement for my iphone because At&t doesn't work at all in NYC. The reception has been amazing and no dropped calls anymore where I had at least 3 a day from At&t. But the bar situation is completely worthless. I usually have 1 bar, and it jumps around all day so I don't even bother looking at them anymore. Made tons of calls with no bars at all. Surprised this wasn't something Apple brought up in their conference. Will hang out in my Android lair until iPhone comes to VZW.

Keep hanging. The only reason a CMDA phone makes sense for Apple to develop is to expand into the Chinese Markets.
  • Reply 3 of 145
    Maybe I'm missing something, but does it say that they are dropping calls? I thought we established a while back that bars are meaningless.
  • Reply 4 of 145
    Apple is right; this problem is a matter of 'unsettled science.' Whole divisions of companies (and entire companies themselves) are approaching the issue from different perspectives because the scientific problem hasn't yet been 'solved.' People know this, which is why the number of iPhones coming back is tiny.
  • Reply 5 of 145
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Maybe I'm missing something, but does it say that they are dropping calls? I thought we established a while back that bars are meaningless.

I thought the anti-Apple folks made it clear that it was the CRUCIAL issue, no? I remember ALL CAPS screaming about it.

The truth is, they probably have to change their way of displaying bars and make it change only every twenty or thirty seconds or so. If no calls are getting dropped, so what?
  • Reply 6 of 145
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    He he he! Now what are the apple haters going to do???????
  • Reply 7 of 145
    If this is true then why isn't it plastered all over Gizmodo, along with a string of videos showing evidence, a petition to fix the issue and a long hate-filled rant by Jesus Diaz?
  • Reply 8 of 145
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A report by TechCrunch says "a good number of reports" from users of Verizon's new Android-based Droid 2, built by Motorola, are complaining about signal problems even without touching the phone.

Can someone help find this report? I can't seem to find it on TechCrunch. I can't seem to find any other reports about this issue online. I would think that sites that Engadget and Gizmodo would have mentioned something about it in their reviews/previews.

Quote:

The report also noted that all four of the Droid 2 phones tested by Engadgetin its review of the phone demonstrated "endlessly fluctuating bar counts," in addition to problems reported by two other reviewers.

Seems like it's a software problem if the bars are fluctuating but no calls are being dropped.
  • Reply 9 of 145
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Everyone who adds part of the name of a hotel that was involved in a scandal over 30 years ago to an unrelated issue is an idiot.
  • Reply 10 of 145
    Can we agree to call this one Droid-gate?
  • Reply 11 of 145
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

Everyone who adds part of the name of a hotel that was involved in a scandal over 30 years ago to an unrelated issue is an idiot.

Idiotgate ?
  • Reply 12 of 145
    shawnbshawnb Posts: 155member
    http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2010/08/...signal-issues/

Quoting the first line of the article: "Don’t fire up the Antennagate Alarm just yet..."

• Reply 13 of 145
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

Yes, it's Miss-AssociationGate at its worst!
  • Reply 14 of 145
    Quote:

Dude, if Watergate happened today, it would dubbed "Watergategate."
  • Reply 15 of 145
    I have terrible VZ coverage at my house so I have basically the same problem (not a Droid 2) but it's not that big of a deal. Just don't hold it that way. Seriously. These are amazing devices and all you have to do to avoid problems is not cover the antenna. How hard is that really? When I hear people complain about this stuff I get the mental image of a fussy 2 year old or something.
  • Reply 16 of 145
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    Quote:

BINGO!

Yep, almost 40 years.

Hell, most of these kids don't have any idea what went on, or what ...gate is supposed to mean.

The "media" - mostly a bunch of DA's trying to sell block ice at the North Pole as a new invention.
  • Reply 17 of 145
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Keep hanging. The only reason a CMDA phone makes sense for Apple to develop is to expand into the Chinese Markets.

It makes a lot of sense in the USA also. It makes even more sense if the phone supports LTE that Verizon is rolling out.

Either way the signals are pretty clear, iPhone is coming to more providers in the US. Given that Verizon is a possibility the phone would have to support CDMA.
  • Reply 18 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

He he he! Now what are the apple haters going to do???????

Well, since Motorola probably copied the iPhone when they made their phone, it would still be Apple's fault. Blast you Apple!
  • Reply 19 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Can we agree to call this one Droid-gate?

We can't use the word Droid without paying a royalty to George Lucas. Three decades ago he lopped the "an" off of the word "android" and for this burst of creativity he deserves to be paid every time someone uses the term droid.
  • Reply 20 of 145
    -ag--ag- Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HelveticaNeue View Post

If this is true then why isn't it plastered all over Gizmodo, along with a string of videos showing evidence, a petition to fix the issue and a long hate-filled rant by Jesus Diaz?

Because it may just show that Gizmodo is Googles bitch once and for all.

Plus maybe Jesus is a false profit?*

* sorry had to get the joke in there for namesake purposes.