iOS 4 purportedly references CDMA iPhone 4, next-gen iPad

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new report claims that the source code of iOS 4 references new hardware from Apple that is about to begin field testing, including a two revised iPhone 4 models potentially compatible with the Verizon network, and a next-generation iPad.

With a screenshot of the alleged source code to bolster their claim, Boy Genius Report reported on Monday that an "intriguing" piece of code found in iOS 4 indicates that new hardware is set to begin field testing. The source code is said to reference three products: "iPhone3,2," "iPhone3,3," and "iProd2,1."

"Our source says that the code queries the device, and if the device is either a CDMA iPhone or iPad 2, the device will auto-activate, thus bypassing the need for iTunes," the report said. "We're told this block of code has appeared every year consequently before a major iPhone / device release, removed right before launch. This allows the products to be field tested by carriers (or partners) without having to activate the handsets or devices."

Last year, a mystery device known as "iProd" began showing up in beta builds of iOS 3.1. The hardware eventually became the iPad, announced in January of 2010. The "2,1" distinction allegedly found in iOS 4 would suggest that it is actually a revised, next-generation version of the iPad in testing.

Apple always uses the first number in these device identifiers to refer to major revisions, the naming schemes allude to a second major reworking of the iPhone in testing at Apple as well as a minor revision of the current iPod touch and a third-generation overhaul. The original iPhone is seen as iPhone 1,1, while the iPhone 3G appears as iPhone 1,2 -- a minor upgrade to an existing design. The first- and second-generation iPod touch show as 1,1 and 2,1 respectively.

The two iPhone models said to be referenced in the source code carry the same "3,X" suffix, which likely means that the devices are not a complete revision from the existing iPhone 4.

Another tipster reportedly told BGR that CDMA iPhone is code-named N92AP, while the platform for the next-generation iPod touch is N81AP.

Boy Genius Report has had a respectable track record in forecasting AT&T and iPhone related announcements, but some of its Apple rumors have been less than accurate. Last year the site incorrectly indicated iTunes 9 would add Blu-ray support and said Apple would create a social media consolidation application, both times citing a "reliable" source. In January, the site also inaccurately hinted that a Verizon announcement would coincide with Apple's introduction of the iPad.

In June, the site claimed that a Verizon-compatible CDMA iPad with 4G LTE was being tested. It said that a CDMA iPhone and iPad would likely arrive "very soon." And in July, the site claimed that a cloud-based iTunes service was "definitely happening soon," but was quickly disputed by insiders contacted by CNet.

Apple's public relations also recently denied a purported email exchange between a customer and Steve Jobs that was published by the site as being "100% legitimate." The most sensationalist remarks attributed to Jobs, telling a customer to "Retire, relax, enjoy your family. It is just a phone. Not worth it," were mistakenly attributed to Jobs on accident.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new report claims that the source code of iOS 4 references ... three products: "iPhone3,2," "iPhone3,3," and "iProd2,1."...

Wake me up when someone finds "iProd 2,2" or "iProd 3,2" those are the only new products that will actually be interesting.
  • Reply 2 of 53
    New Apple Shit.

Let the speculating commence.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

New Apple Shit.

Let the speculating commence.

Let the stock soar
  • Reply 4 of 53
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    If BGR has been so wrong so many times, with their rumor mill, why should anyone believe them with this rumor?

The quote can easily be made up by anyone. There is no way to say where the code came from. Anyone can type it up, if the person knows how. Where is the proof of the source?

Rumors of War! I believe it when I see it.
  • Reply 5 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

If BGR has been so wrong so many times, with their rumor mill, why should anyone believe them with this rumor?

The quote can easily be made up by anyone. There is no way to say where the code came from. Anyone can type it up, if the person knows how. Where is the proof of the source?

The reason is while they have been wrong lots of times, they have no reputation for lying. There is a big difference between the two.

You can't logically assume that because they have been wrong in the past, that they are now just making crap up wholesale. They say they see this in the code and the code is open to anyone to check. It's just not likely they are lying.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

The reason is while they have been wrong lots of times, they have no reputation for lying. There is a big difference between the two.

You can't logically assume that because they have been wrong in the past, that they are now just making crap up wholesale. They say they see this in the code and the code is open to anyone to check. It's just not likely they are lying.

Oh spare me. If they have gone to these sources before who have been wrong numerous times (meaning the sources were lying) and BGR continues to go to these sources for news that makes them less reliable when it comes to Apple news.

It is a smoke screen to blame the source. After all these "sources" could very well be blog writers for BGR just writing anything that comes to their head much like how most blogs operate. It is a blog, you know. What happened to the iPod refresh for Aug 16 that many blogs were reporting? That never happened. Many of these writers don't have a clue as far as Apple is concerned. Too much bs and not enough actual reporting and it is tiresome.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    but...but...but.....never never never!!!

I can't wait to see heads exploding from the perennial AT&T fanboy brigade...
  • Reply 8 of 53
    aiaddictaiaddict Posts: 487member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LouisTheXIV View Post

but...but...but.....never never never!!!

I can't wait to see heads exploding from the perennial AT&T fanboy brigade...

I dont see anything in the code to suggest the new iphones are CDMA. They could be 2011 iphone 5's with different LTE chipsets, or maybe there are testing new 3.5G options. Just because they are testing something does not mean 1) it is CDMA, 2) it is for Verizon, 3) it will be out soon, or for that matter, ever.
  • Reply 9 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applebjesus View Post

Oh spare me. If they have gone to these sources before who have been wrong numerous times (meaning the sources were lying) and BGR continues to go to these sources for news that makes them less reliable when it comes to Apple news.

It is a smoke screen to blame the source. After all these "sources" could very well be blog writers for BGR just writing anything that comes to their head much like how most blogs operate. It is a blog, you know. What happened to the iPod refresh for Aug 16 that many blogs were reporting? That never happened. Many of these writers don't have a clue as far as Apple is concerned. Too much bs and not enough actual reporting and it is tiresome.

Hey, I don't like BGR either. I think the guy and everyone concerned with it are some of the biggest a-holes online today. "Juvenile" pretty much sums up the whole attitude over there.

I'm just saying they don't have a reputation for lying, and how could they lie about something that's in the code and can be checked easily?

People always see plots everywhere because they don't have the education to tell fact from fiction. This seems like a very normal rumour that is eminently believable and probably factual. If people are going to immediately leap to the proposition that it's a scam, they really need to pony up some evidence of that.
  • Reply 10 of 53
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Wake me up when someone finds "iProd 2,2" or "iProd 3,2" those are the only new products that will actually be interesting.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

You have a point, there is no proof, but there are patterns and deduction from these patterns that will certainly weigh in on my decision on the matter. I?ve never thought a CDMA iPhone was on the cusp of being announced until now. Like the iPhone and iPad, there was no proof but the number and types of rumours seemed to scream that this was going to happen shortly. I?m neither clairvoyant nor alone on this; I think many will agree that there is plenty of circumstantial evidence that points to a CDMA iPhone being announced shortly.
  • Reply 11 of 53
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You have a point, there is no proof, but there are patterns and deduction from these patterns that will certainly weigh in on my decision on the matter. I?ve never thought a CDMA iPhone was on the cusp of being announced until now. Like the iPhone and iPad, there was no proof but the number and types of rumours seemed to scream that this was going to happen shortly. I?m neither clairvoyant nor alone on this; I think many will agree that there is plenty of circumstantial evidence that points to a CDMA iPhone being announced shortly.

I think a CDMA phone is only likely now because iPhone is now outsold by Androids and going to Verizon can temporarily win Apple back the crown. Other then that I still think that Verizon iPhone is only possible when LTE is deployed and all phones use the same wireless standard.
  • Reply 12 of 53
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    If it is true that there will be a CDMA iPhone, although frankly I don't care either way (UK) that would only really make sense if it was LTE: why release a CDMA iPhone only to release an LTE model a few months later (albiet at the earliest)?
  • Reply 13 of 53
    Just forget it. There will never be a CDMA iPhone. CDMA wouldn't work with iPhone OS because you can't simultaneously talk and connect to the Internet with CDMA. Moreover, there is no SIM card and it's not a world standard. Apple is very strict with their standards and they will not bend and produce an inferior phone that is not up to the world standards. Verizon should have known better when they chose CDMA years ago.

There will only be a Verizon iPhone when LTE becomes mainstream. This means it will happen only in June 2012. So, you are looking at iPhone 6.

Apple routinely field-tests various models. So, what is showing on the source code can be any test iPhone. A CDMA test iPhone is pretty much the least likely scenario.

But it's amazing that how many Verizon customers want to have iPhone 4 and Apple is being tried to be pressured through the media to manufacture an inferior iPhone that supports CDMA.
  • Reply 14 of 53
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

They say they see this in the code and the code is open to anyone to check. It's just not likely they are lying.

I'm not sure what you mean. We are not talking about prerelease plist files.The source code to iOS is definitely not public. BGR is claiming to have a screen shot of it hence the inside source. I suppose some of the source can be decomplied, but that is not very easy to do.
  • Reply 15 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gokhan View Post

Just forget it. There will never be a CDMA iPhone. CDMA wouldn't work with iPhone OS because you can't simultaneously talk and connect to the Internet with CDMA. Moreover, there is no SIM card and it's not a world standard. Apple is very strict with their standards and they will not bend and produce an inferior phone that is not up to the world standards. Verizon should have known better when they chose CDMA years ago.

There will only be a Verizon iPhone when LTE becomes mainstream. This means it will happen only in June 2012. So, you are looking at iPhone 6.

Apple routinely field-tests various models. So, what is showing on the source code can be any test iPhone. A CDMA test iPhone is pretty much the least likely scenario.

But it's amazing that how many Verizon customers want to have iPhone 4 and Apple is being tried to be pressured through the media to manufacture an inferior iPhone that supports CDMA.

Agreed.

One model is probably the new antenna version for AT&T and the other for T-Mobile (that uses different GSM Frequencies).
  • Reply 16 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

If it is true that there will be a CDMA iPhone, although frankly I don't care either way (UK) that would only really make sense if it was LTE: why release a CDMA iPhone only to release an LTE model a few months later (albiet at the earliest)?

I think given Apple's track record (original iPhone 2G-only) they would wait until at least a majority of VZ customers could access LTE service. Verizon says they're doing an aggressive push for LTE but they said the same thing about FIOS before realizing it was expensive and decided to stop. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we don't see an LTE iPhone for 2 or 3 years or at least until the price of a hybrid CDMA/LTE chipset (along with the power requirements) are near parity with a CDMA only chipset.
  • Reply 17 of 53
    Quote:

CDMA.

Why can't apple just make a GSM iPhone 5 that supports edge all the way up to LTE 4G? in the meantime it will use 3G as the best it can get, and when 4G it rolled out it can start using that and the customer will get greatly improved internet performance/speed at no cost to them.

Waiting for LTE to be mainstream is a mistake. it should be LTE asap (even if it doesn't exist yet) similarly to the iPhone 2G, apple *should have*/*could have* made it 3G but waited until 3G was 'mainstream'. Many people still regard that as a mistake on apples part.
  • Reply 18 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Quote:

Just forget it. There will never be a CDMA iPhone. CDMA wouldn't work with iPhone OS because you can't simultaneously talk and connect to the Internet with CDMA. Moreover, there is no SIM card and it's not a world standard.

So what happens when you are in an area that doesn't get Verizon's LTE reception? Are you just going to go from LTE to no signal? It has to fall back on something, just like UTMS drops to EDGE or GPRS. There will be a CDMA phone in some way. Also, if you are on EDGE, you can't use simultaneous data and voice either. That right there tells me iOS can support that.
  • Reply 19 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

So what happens when you are in an area that doesn't get Verizon's LTE reception? Are you just going to go from LTE to no signal? It has to fall back on something, just like UTMS drops to EDGE or GPRS. There will be a CDMA phone in some way.

as mentioned in another post of mine, a GSM LTE iPhone 5 realeased 2011 could utilize GPRS/EDGE/3G as a fallback and used untill the rollout of LTE 4G, which the phone would then simply 'fire up' the LTE chip/antenna/whatever [not a cell phone engineer] and e a full fledged LTE phone from the day the first 4G tower is put up.
  • Reply 20 of 53
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm not sure what you mean. We are not talking about prerelease plist files.The source code to iOS is definitely not public. BGR is claiming to have a screen shot of it hence the inside source. I suppose some of the source can be decomplied, but that is not very easy to do.

It's pretty obvious the "listing" I looked at is a disassembly of the code. It's ARM machine code. The real code is written in C (of some sort), no doubt.

Cheers