NAB, RIAA seek to push FM radio into iPods and iPhones

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Radio broadcasters and music labels are seeking to legally mandate FM radio reception as a feature in all consumer mobile devices in an effort to expand the market for radio.

A report by Nate Anderson of the Ars "Law & Disorder" blog notes that competing interests in radio and studio industry groups have sided on a proposal to force hardware makers to add FM radio chips to mobile phones and other consumser devices.

The National Association of Broadcasters and musicFirst (a lobbying group of which the RIAA is a member) have been at odds in a dispute about whether labels and artists should be paid performance right royalties when music is played on the radio.

Currently, only songwriters are paid performance royalties for music played by over the air radio stations, although satellite and Internet radio stations are required to pay performance fees to the artists and labels as well.

Negotiations between the two trade groups have found agreement on a plan that requires radio stations to pay new, limited performance rights fees to the studios annually, but that plan is tied to the ability of the two groups to pass laws forcing mobile device makers to add FM radio features to their devices.

Adding a mandate on FM radio chips would greatly expand the potential audience of broadcasters in an era where only one of Apple's iPod models (the latest Nano) supports FM radio playback, and none of its iPhone, iPod touch or iPad devices do. Apple sells around 70 percent of MP3 players, and has a prime position in mobile phones and tablet devices.

Apple hasn't commented on the plan, but the Consumer Electronics Association is strongly opposed to the idea."The back room scheme of the [National Association of Broadcasters] and RIAA to have Congress mandate broadcast radios in portable devices, including mobile phones, is the height of absurdity," CEA president Gary Shapiro said in the report, adding that such a move is "not in our national interest."

The Performance Rights Act currently before Congress is at the center of the controversy. "The performance royalty legislation voted out of the Senate Judiciary Committee does not include this onerous and backward-looking radio requirement," Shapiro said, indicating that the CEA wants the bill to continue without any FM radio requirements being mandated.

"Rather than adapt to the digital marketplace," Shapiro said, "NAB and RIAA act like buggy-whip industries that refuse to innovate and seek to impose penalties on those that do."

The RIAA-aligned musicFIRST said it "likes FM chips in cell phones, PDAs, etc. It gives consumers access to more music choices," while the NAB said in the report that it "would argue that having radio capability on cell phones and other mobile devices would be a great thing, particularly from a public safety perspective. There are few if any technologies that match the reliability of broadcast radio in terms of getting lifeline information to the masses."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 92
    Okay, that's just ridiculous.

If they want to expand radio's marketshare, maybe they should do the work rather than force others to do it for them. Also, perhaps improving radio's product might help.

This again shows how out of touch the RIAA is, as well as their associates with the NAB.
  • Reply 2 of 92
    mike fixmike fix Posts: 270member
    If these idiots want to pay for every aspect involved in adding this to mobile devices, then sure. Otherwise, F- OFF!!!
  • Reply 3 of 92
    In other related news, the National Association of Typewriters (NAT) is attempting to force all Notebook Manufacturers to include a fully, functional Typewriter into all of their products.
  • Reply 4 of 92
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    I've always wanted FM on my iPhone but if the RIAA wants it maybe I don't anymore.
  • Reply 5 of 92
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    This is an area where the market should rule. Government should not dictate!!!!
  • Reply 6 of 92
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

In other related news, the National Association of Typewriters (NAT) is attempting to force all Notebook Manufacturers to include a fully, functional Typewriter into all of their products.

The utterly perfect comment - please, all others, entries are closed at this time...
  • Reply 7 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

If these idiots want to pay for every aspect involved in adding this to mobile devices, then sure. Otherwise, F- OFF!!!

I don't want it even if they do pay for all aspects of it.

What if apple has to make my battery smaller to fit it in and keep the device the same size. What other consequences would there be even if the price didn't change? Can they "pay" to eliminate these types of issues?

How about we let the market decide if they want that feature. The RIAA should develop an MP3 device with radio capabilities and put it out there. If it takes off due to that feature then it will be a must have and every one will follow their lead. Otherwise, F-OFF.
  • Reply 8 of 92
    What a TOTAL JOKE! Radio is slowly dying, it may never go away, but the one to many model is changing from traditional airwaves to bits over IP. The only thing traditional radio needs to do is make sure all their content is also available now over the IP network.

Problem solved.

No need for government intervention -- that will just make matters worse, and more expensive. As nice as HD Radio is, it's too little too late -- use a micro computer (like iPhone) and stream everything from the device to the car -- who needs traditional radio or even satellite radio?! Just need a capable device and an IP and you are set.
  • Reply 9 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Radio broadcasters and music labels are seeking to legally mandate FM radio reception as a feature in all consumer mobile devices in an effort to expand the market for radio. ...

Woah, how do these folks sleep at night? This plan is pure evil from the get-go.
  • Reply 10 of 92
    lancelance Posts: 6member
    Who is John Galt?
  • Reply 11 of 92
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Radio broadcasters and music labels are seeking to legally mandate FM radio reception as a feature in all consumer mobile devices in an effort to expand the market for radio.

While on an iPhone "Excuse me, my iPhone just dropped my FM station--I'll get back to you."
  • Reply 12 of 92
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    I'd love to have AM and FM radio on my iPhone. HD radio too. Why not? But to legally REQUIRE it? That's a joke. The NAB should be embarrassed.
  • Reply 13 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Woah, how do these folks sleep at night? This plan is pure evil from the get-go.

They might listen to the radio to put them to sleep.
  • Reply 14 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

I'd love to have AM and FM radio on my iPhone. HD radio too. Why not? But to legally REQUIRE it? That's a joke. The NAB should be embarrassed.

Agreed!!!!!, I thought that there were add on FM tuners. If passed then you might also require AM radio.
  • Reply 15 of 92
    It's things like this that make me think about stealing music.

Nah. I'll just continue to stream commercial-free music with my iPhone's grandfathered unlimited data plan, not to mention over my MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 16 of 92
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    And the hits just keep ooooooooon comin'

DO NOT WANT.
  • Reply 17 of 92
    mac31mac31 Posts: 44member
    Great, another app I'll need to hide on my iPhone. I can't stand AM/FM radio.
  • Reply 18 of 92
    nudistnudist Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

What a TOTAL JOKE! Radio is slowly dying, it may never go away, but the one to many model is changing from traditional airwaves to bits over IP. The only thing traditional radio needs to do is make sure all their content is also available now over the IP network.

Problem solved.

No need for government intervention -- that will just make matters worse, and more expensive. As nice as HD Radio is, it's too little too late -- use a micro computer (like iPhone) and stream everything from the device to the car -- who needs traditional radio or even satellite radio?! Just need a capable device and an IP and you are set.

Disagree. Radio is being forced to evolve and adapt to hold its audience. Look at digital radio in Europe and Australia for evidence that the industry needs to evolve. Features like time shifting, pause and replay
  • Reply 19 of 92
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    How do we speak up to let the RIAA, NAB and our politicians know that we don't what this?
  • Reply 20 of 92
    What happened to laissez-faire capitalism? Really... what happened to the idea that anyone is allowed to produce a product without any restrictions and might allow it to sell. If someone copies your product and it works better, why then the onus is on you to make yours somehow better still. Where did this all go?

What was the URL of that guy... oh yes - http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...ggest-writing/

- and oh, god: I'm a Rayndroid.