Pink Floyd albums removed from iTunes after record contract expires

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Numerous albums from legendary rock band Pink Floyd have disappeared from Apple's iTunes store, along with other digital storefronts, following the expiration of a contract between the band and its record label.

Pink Floyd's contract with EMI covering albums post "Dark Side of the Moon" expired on June 30. Since then, some of the band's most popular albums, including "Wish You Were Here," "The Wall," and "Animals," were removed from the iTunes Music Store, as well as Amazon.com and other digital music sellers.

However, the albums -- and some individual tracks -- can still be purchased through the "Oh By the Way" studio album boxset available on iTunes, and released in 2008 by EMI. The set includes both discs of "The Wall," which can be purchased separately from the box set, but "Wish You Were Here" can only be bought as part of the $139.99 total collection.

According to Gibson Lifestyle, Pink Floyd has sold more than 36 million albums in the U.S. since 1991. Last year, physical disc sales alone were 654,000 copies.

The disappearance of the albums came about after the band won a lawsuit against EMI in March, allowing it to block the sale of individual songs on services like iTunes. A High Court in the U.K. determined that the band could "preserve the artistic integrity" of whole albums by not breaking them up into individual song sales.

Pink Floyd and EMI are no longer under contract for later albums, but earlier titles like "Dark Side of the Moon" remain under the label's control. In addition, while EMI can no longer press CDs for titles like "Wish You Were Here," the company can sell its remaining stock of physical albums.

EMI also owns the catalog for The Beatles, and it has been said the issue over single song downloads has been what has kept their tracks from being sold iTunes thus far. Yoko Ono, widow of John Lennon, said earlier this month that fans should not expect the band's catalog to become available on iTunes anytime soon. "Don't hold your breath," she said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 104
    Idiots!
  • Reply 2 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Numerous albums from legendary rock band Pink Floyd have disappeared from Apple's iTunes store...

Another stupid, insulting "USA only" story that's not marked as such because no one bothered to check on the other countries?

Pink Floyd is still in *my* iTunes store, all the albums.
  • Reply 3 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Another stupid, insulting "USA only" story that's not marked as such because no one bothered to check on the other countries?

Pink Floyd is still in *my* iTunes store, all the albums.

Dude, chill.
  • Reply 4 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Read an Apple website based from your own country if you can't stand a US-based website being directed primarily at? GASP? US-based readers. If one even exists.

It's not a big fucking deal.
  • Reply 5 of 104
    So Pink Floyd is basically of the major music market in the US - downloads.

Give him a few months of smaller royalty checks and he may be back.

But then the Beetles have been willing to see millions lost from their refusal be on iTunes and other stores. Must be nice to be so rick you can turn away from millions like that.
  • Reply 6 of 104
    Just for the record. I was was rised on Pink Floyd music stating from '70 back in Europe where I lived. Pink Floyd music is not about single songs, but about composition. I know that some songs sound better and one may skip to favorite parts, but someone has to be arrogant ignorant to take one song completely out of context/composition and buy it. Artist has right to prevent that. Art is not wholesale of cheap "Made in...." product. Otherwise it would not be art despite what some call art.

Having said that I own most of Pink Floyd albums and I have converted them to MP3 to listen on my iPods.
  • Reply 7 of 104
    I am so glad I downloaded all their albums few months ago.
  • Reply 8 of 104
    Pink Floyd albums are journeys that should never be broken apart.
  • Reply 9 of 104
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post

But then the Beetles have been willing to see millions lost from their refusal be on iTunes and other stores. Must be nice to be so rick you can turn away from millions like that.

Never heard of the Beetles. And who is Rick?
  • Reply 10 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

I'm just wondering which one's pink
  • Reply 11 of 104
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maciekskontakt View Post

I know that some songs sound better and one may skip to favorite parts, but someone has to be arrogant ignorant to take one song completely out of context/composition and buy it.

No, that is called consumer choice. I don't care about the artists integrity at times - I'm the one enjoying it. If it was important to the artists, they should never have sold the content in that fashion.

I find it perfectly acceptable to take things out of context - people have been doing it to classical music for years.
  • Reply 12 of 104
    So now David Gilmour has to get on the phone to CD Baby and get the tracks put back up and keep more of the $$.
  • Reply 13 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diddy View Post

No, that is called consumer choice. I don't care about the artists integrity at times - I'm the one enjoying it. If it was important to the artists, they should never have sold the content in that fashion.

I find it perfectly acceptable to take things out of context - people have been doing it to classical music for years.

Pink Floyd never really released singles though
  • Reply 14 of 104
    ... just bring back those albums and mark every song "Album Only." I respect their desire to limit purchases to albums. It's their art; they should be able to control its distribution. iTunes routinely has "Album Only" songs on various albums. Just make every song "Album Only."
  • Reply 15 of 104
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

No, but they have released a greatest hits album, and their albums all have separate tracks (namely their CD's).
  • Reply 16 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Rick Jaggar.
  • Reply 17 of 104
    Quote:

Do you suppose they turned down the royalty checks when singles were played on the radio?
  • Reply 18 of 104
    Piss on Pink Floyd and the Beatles. They keep the piracy business booming, and especially the Beatles have lost tens of millions in dollars for their arrogant stupidity.

Too late baby. Sell your stuff after you, Yoko, and your dumbass advisors are gone.
  • Reply 19 of 104
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:

I'm just wondering which one's pink

• Reply 20 of 104
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post

Oh by the way, which ones Pink?

Pink Floyd was not selling songs anything on iTunes.

EMI was selling Pink Floyd albums on iTunes.