Preparing old Mac for sale

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Okay! I've decided to give up my old beloved G4 tower. Now I need to know how to prepare it for sale or donation. I don't want to leave any previous info on it.

I've deleted all the User files, except for Library, but some things keep cropping back up even after changing them time after time. For example, I want to get rid of the Master Password. I go to System Preference Security like Help tells me to and make the change. Does it change? NOOOOOO. It says it does but it doesn't.

For example,I f I make changes to the Dock like magnification and Hiding, it works for a few minutes or until I restart and then the those changes are gone.

I also want to get rid of my name in the computer. I go to System Preferences Sharing like good old Help tells me to and make the change. Does it change? NOOOOOOO. It says it does but it doesn't.

I've even tried renaming the Home file that has my name on it. Does that work? NOOO.

I make the change and it shows up with the new name, but after a few seconds, the original name pops up IN a new file in Addition to the one I changed. Frustration!!!!!!

I have Tiger OS in this old 800 G4 Tower; I checked the OS out overnight from my college library some time ago. I don't have the disks to reinstall it from a new start. I would rather not reinstall Panther which is the last OS that I have disks for.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should handle this? PLEASE have suggestions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

OI also want to get rid of my name in the computer. I go to System Preferences Sharing like good old Help tells me to and make the change. Does it change? NOOOOOOO. It says it does but it doesn't.

I've found you have to hit return in the box after you change it.

Quote:

I've even tried renaming the Home file that has my name on it. Does that work? NOOO.

Yeah, you shouldn't really do that because the short names are not designed to be changed so it just creates a new folder with your active name, which might be why the settings aren't sticking.

It's fine to leave the system on without reinstalling but I would firstly create a new user and make them an administrator. Then log out of your current account and into the new one. Then delete the old one. Also delete any folders in /Users that are not called shared or the name of the new user - there should only be two folders.

From then on, the settings you make should stick.

Just for added security, I would also run an erase on your free space using Disk Utility. This means that none of your old deleted files, emails etc can be recovered.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    seek3rseek3r Posts: 179member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Yeah, you shouldn't really do that because the short names are not designed to be changed so it just creates a new folder with your active name, which might be why the settings aren't sticking.

It's fine to leave the system on without reinstalling but I would firstly create a new user and make them an administrator. Then log out of your current account and into the new one. Then delete the old one. Also delete any folders in /Users that are not called shared or the name of the new user - there should only be two folders.

Just for added security, I would also run an erase on your free space using Disk Utility. This means that none of your old deleted files, emails etc can be recovered.

Data can still be recovered, what you should do is boot off an installation CD, wipe the disk using disk utility with at *least* zeroing it, better would be the 7 or 35 pass runs (which take longer but are far more thorough). These options are under "Security Options" in DU (basically they do "dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/disk0 && dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/disk0" repeatedly), and then reinstalling the OS.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seek3r View Post

Data can still be recovered, what you should do is boot off an installation CD, wipe the disk using disk utility with at *least* zeroing it, better would be the 7 or 35 pass runs (which take longer but are far more thorough). These options are under "Security Options" in DU (basically they do "dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/disk0 && dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/disk0" repeatedly), and then reinstalling the OS.

Unfortunately he no longer has the system discs to reinstall Tiger OS, his system of choice for this machine.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Yesssss! Done and done. Who needs an Apple Store MacGenius when you're around? You are the AI MacGenius. End of frustration. Thanks.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Well, I thought I was done. Marvin, you walked me through most of the way, but I have some new questions. I'll understand if you are tired of my constant groveling for answers, but I hope someone will come to my rescue.

I have run 7 passes to erase free space.

1. Should I get rid of the "locations" for network connections? If I don't, would someone be able to use my ISP connection?

When I click on System Preference Network, I got this error message:

"Network connections changed by another application."

Then System Preferences freezes and I have to reboot to get SP back again. But then I get that error message again and the SP freezes again.

Any suggestions as to how to get around the problem. I have no idea what application the error message refers to.

2. I have many apps I've bought or downloaded. For example: Adobe Professional; CCC; Quicken; SuperDuper; etc. etc. etc.

Should I delete the ones I paid for? (I assume so). Should I leave the freebies?

Maybe I should just erase the whole d_____ed thing and put Panther back on.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

I have run 7 passes to erase free space.

When you do an erase, just use single pass with zeroes - it saves a lot of time and you can't realistically recover the data. Hard drives just store magnetic binary states. A zero-pass might leave some slight residual magnetic state but nobody is going to expend the resources required to get the data back. Off-the-shelf drive recovery solutions certainly would't be up to the task.

Quote:

1. Should I get rid of the "locations" for network connections? If I don't, would someone be able to use my ISP connection?

They wouldn't be able to use your connection, you can leave the network settings.

Quote:

When I click on System Preference Network, I got this error message:

"Network connections changed by another application."

Then System Preferences freezes and I have to reboot to get SP back again. But then I get that error message again and the SP freezes again.

Any suggestions as to how to get around the problem. I have no idea what application the error message refers to.

Try the solution in this thread:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....30909&tstart=0

just deleting a few preference files.

Quote:

2. I have many apps I've bought or downloaded. For example: Adobe Professional; CCC; Quicken; SuperDuper; etc. etc. etc.

Should I delete the ones I paid for? (I assume so). Should I leave the freebies?

Maybe I should just erase the whole d_____ed thing and put Panther back on.

You can remove the paid apps if you like but if you decide to sell it, it might increase the resale value. I wouldn't revert back to 10.3 as a lot of software has 10.4 as a minimum requirement.

Be sure to go into the system profiler, note down the following details:

serial number

computer model number e.g powermac2,1

CPU speed and check if it's dual processor

RAM and RAM type e.g 667MHz

Hard drive model and size

Graphics card model and video memory

When you sell it, use all the details except the serial number - that's just for you to keep a record of. If it's a reasonable spec, you'll probably get about $200 for it but post the spec and it'll be easier to determine the value of the machine.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Marvin,

You are unreal. You are a technical encyclopedia. My Apple experience would NOT be the same without you.