NAB, RIAA seek to push FM radio into iPods and iPhones

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 92
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bwana_Dik View Post

Pretty funny. As though "market" and "government" are necessarily independent. Powerful business interests distort the market by manipulating government to put these types of requirements in regulations. The "invisible hand" market of Adam Smith is a myth.

That said, this ploy by the RIAA and their corporate sponsors is outrageous.

You are absolutely correct on both counts. The now famous Tea Party 'keep government out of my medicare' placard always comes to mind when this sort of simplistic anti government comment pops up and always makes me chuckle.
  • Reply 82 of 92
    Ahh...that useless static crap that nobody listens too..why does the riaa not build a digital fm radio infrastructure and then let us listen to music that way..I hate the RIAA and thier idiot leaders..
  • Reply 83 of 92
    Now hang on folks - before we dismiss the idea completely, consider the many benefits of FM Radio:

1. You can always find a station that's playing "Hotel California" at just about any hour of the day or night

2. All that great advertising

3. ...

4. ...

OK, well, I can't think of anything else, but I'm sure there must be some other benefits. Anyone?
  • Reply 84 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I'm getting really tired of ignorant people making stupid accusations like this. Not to mention the racist slur.

Do you think that no other administration has ever forced anyone to pay for something they didn't like? You don't think that anyone ever objected to income taxes starting? Or Social Security? Or the EPA? Or the Consumer Products Safety Commission? Or the billions of dollars spent by the government on medical research? Or NASA? Or nuclear weapons?

The government is supposed to be acting on behalf of the public to the best of their abilities. The Constitution explains how it works. There is nothing in the Constitution that says that YOU have to like it. So stop whining.

This has nothing to do with race and everything to do with both wanting to control everyones lives from birth to death - that is all nothing more and nothing less - your racist accusation fails. Since the government does such a poor job of acting on everyones behalf then I believe it should be small. And you are right, the constitution explains how it works - Amendment One - I can whine (if that is what you want to call it)! Of course now we are back to what the president, Osama and obviously you want - to tell me what to do (You did tell me to stop whining).
  • Reply 85 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkXPII View Post

This has nothing to do with race and everything to do with both wanting to control everyones lives from birth to death - that is all nothing more and nothing less - your racist accusation fails. Since the government does such a poor job of acting on everyones behalf then I believe it should be small. And you are right, the constitution explains how it works - Amendment One - I can whine (if that is what you want to call it)! Of course now we are back to what the president, Osama and obviously you want - to tell me what to do (You did tell me to stop whining).

I find it extremely disapointing that you've ended a very rational, reasonable comment (even though I disagree with it) with one that proves your racist credentials - Unless you'd like to claim that your finger slipped a third of the way across the keyboard.
  • Reply 86 of 92
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkXPII View Post

I wonder why it makes you feel good to show the world that you're incapable of rational discussion.

The fact is that government spending has grown steadily under both parties for the past 100 years or more. Republicans claim to favor smaller government, but history disproves that.

Personally, I feel that the government is too large, as well, but your juvenile action of calling the President of the United States by a racist name does not foster discussion NOR a solution to the problem. The difference is that I believe it takes intelligence to solve the problem, not just screaming of juvenile names.

And the tea party movement isn't much better. They're really good about making a lot of noise about government being too big, but you'll notice that there are no solutions coming from them, either.
  • Reply 87 of 92
    chanochano Posts: 51member
    Hilarious ironic twist. Two bastions of all-out profit maximising capitaism now seeking the most communist of policies - enforcement marketing.

Ha ha ha.

And the neocons agonise about health care reform.

This is health care reform for radio's incurable disease - loss of relevance.
  • Reply 88 of 92
    Mandates imposed upon the unwilling are the new status quo. Thanks Big Brother Obama et al. The days of operating as a free, private citizen are over. Soon none of us will have money for these silly devices anyway.
  • Reply 89 of 92
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    What a bunch of hooey. Just what the U.S. needs, more government involvement.
  • Reply 90 of 92
    satcomersatcomer Posts: 130member
    Radio over FM is dying! With Satellite Radio and internet radio streams I hardly listen to regular radio anymore. To me regular radio is commercials interrupted by a song or if you are lucky two songs.

I listen to AM just for traffic updates, news & sports when on the road. Until GPS Units can get current traffic conditions that aren't over a hour old, AM is still the best way to learn the coming up traffic conditions.
  • Reply 91 of 92
    I always liked the sound of music through radio.

But then i remembered what i didn't like. The infinite loop of crummy popular music constantly getting blasted across the airwaves by the establishment. We have a radio playing all day in the main office buildings which i have no control over and the repetition drives me insane.

That's probably why the Government want radio on devices. They just don't want people to have choice. Not good for business.
  • Reply 92 of 92
    That would be like Nickelodeon requiring McDonalds to include crabby patties on the McDonald's menu!