Tricking iTunes into thinking an external hard drive is an iPod? Possible?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi

There is a lot of info out there about using your iPod as a hard drive, but I am wanting to the opposite, namely use my external portable hard drive as an iPod (this says something of my contrary nature).

The reason being that my iTunes library is made up of Apple Lossless files, and I would like to take advantage of the "convert higher bit rate songs to 128kbps" feature in iTunes, but by syncing to a portable external hard drive rather than an iPod.

I am aware that there are various methods of converting all my Apple Lossless files for use on an external hard drive, but none of these (as far as I am aware) synchronize with iTunes (i.e. update tags/ratings in the converted files if changes are made in iTunes). Because I would need this feature, I am wondering if there is a way of tricking iTunes into thinking that my external hard drive is an iPod (here my devious nature comes to the fore), or some other method of achieving what I am looking for?

Thanks for reading

Nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    If someone knows of a way to allow items like external drives, USB flash drives, etc. to act as an iPod, that would be awesome.And as according to me external drive does not contain the other hardware an iPod does, how on earth can you expect it to act as one.