Apple releases Snow Leopard Graphics Update for Mac OS X 10.6

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Beardsley View Post

For the more technically minded folks here is a great rundown on exactly what changes are in the update. http://store.steampowered.com/news/4211/

Thanks Steam! You are having a positive effect on OS X!

It's good to have all those brainy GPU developers looking through Apple's call stacks.
  • Reply 42 of 52
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Apple is quickly becoming the hottest gaming platform on the market. I think that the console makers should be VERY nervous about now.

Heh, you mean specifically iOS, not Mac.
  • Reply 43 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

STILL no OpenGL 3.3 support on 9400M/9600M! Funny that Nvidia has 3.3 drivers out for Windows -- WHERE IS THE MAC SUPPORT?!

OpenGL 3.0 is also STILL not fully supported!

Apple is too busy with the iGadgets, OpenCL in all the Mac OS X, reduced boot times and shutdown, and all the Snow Leopard promises are just secondary...!
  • Reply 44 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Beardsley View Post

For the more technically minded folks here is a great rundown on exactly what changes are in the update. http://store.steampowered.com/news/4211/

Thanks, very useful. Hope Apple can keep up with Steam and Game developers requirements.
  • Reply 45 of 52
    gary54gary54 Posts: 169member
    until Steve Jobs decides its a priority. If its not a priority, an issue gets put on the back burner and *good enough to get by* is all the attention it gets. When an issue becomes a priority, it gets done.

Steve operates by his own schedule, not what the masses want. Its obvious he listens .. up to a point. Then he does what he thinks is important. If its something else, then it sux to be you. You have to wait.

Since Apple has always been behind the curve with video drivers and games, its obviously not been a priority. Maybe now is the time he has decided to give the issue some attention.
  • Reply 46 of 52
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gary54 View Post

until Steve Jobs decides its a priority. If its not a priority, an issue gets put on the back burner and *good enough to get by* is all the attention it gets. When an issue becomes a priority, it gets done.

Steve operates by his own schedule, not what the masses want. Its obvious he listens .. up to a point. Then he does what he thinks is important. If its something else, then it sux to be you. You have to wait.

Since Apple has always been behind the curve with video drivers and games, its obviously not been a priority. Maybe now is the time he has decided to give the issue some attention.

Quite right. Although I think at this stage it's not Steve's big priority. So, we'll see incremental updates to drivers and game support on Mac.

As for Mac OS X 10.7, how many of you feel, in your gut, it is going to be designed to be more iOS-like? \
  • Reply 47 of 52
    tdwstdws Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Quite right. Although I think at this stage it's not Steve's big priority. So, we'll see incremental updates to drivers and game support on Mac.

As for Mac OS X 10.7, how many of you feel, in your gut, it is going to be designed to be more iOS-like? \

Apple isn't one person manning the desk at a post office. It's a massive company with $47 billion or so in the bank. EVERYTHING can be a priority. No one is asking them to invent a new product here, just to tend to the hardware and software they are shipping to customers.
  • Reply 48 of 52

This update completely screwed up my new Mac Mini. Aperture 3's GUI is non-responsive and the HDMI port no longer sends a signal to my TV, I now have to connect via my MiniDisplay port which sucks because it can't support audio.
  • Reply 49 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DarkKnightNine View Post

This update completely screwed up my new Mac Mini. Aperture 3's GUI is non-responsive and the HDMI port no longer sends a signal to my TV, I now have to connect via my MiniDisplay port which sucks because it can't support audio.

I have to agree.. Its completely messing up my computer. Safari text is distorted, and scrollbar will appear and then disappear for no reason.
  • Reply 50 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timothy632 View Post

I have to agree.. Its completely messing up my computer. Safari text is distorted, and scrollbar will appear and then disappear for no reason.

Same issues here with mid 2010 MBP.

I feel like as Apple has started to really expand, the whole "it just works" mantra has been getting thrown out the window. You know something is backwards when you have to boot camp windows on a mac to get something to run right.

Hoping Apple gets these update issues in order, and starts to kick it in gear when it comes to OpenGL.
  • Reply 51 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by franktinsley View Post

Apple? As in, Macs combined with iOS? Because maybe, maaayyyybe you have a point when combining all things Apple. But if you're talking about Macs, as much as I love them, when even the PC games market doesn't scare console makers, how in the WORLD would Macs scare them? Now OnLive on the other hand... if I was a console maker, THAT would scare the crap out of me.

Because Mac OS X "is already IOS4" with more bells and whistles.

>> the FEAR part should come when Apple announces an IOS4 runtime for the desktop and laptop users -- but REALLY, the iPad is going to have more numbers than the desktop.

Right now, if you ask me between the Nintendo and Sony hand-helds, who had the best platform for gaming? I'd say it would be the iTouch. My kids have forgotten their Nintendo and I download 4 free games a week plus one for $2 and any one of them are better than the average $15 used game -- because they work for the short attention span.

Phones + Gaming platform is the next battleground. Nobody is subsidizing the XBox and Playstation but the Game sellers.

>> However, the struggle is far from settled -- I just think it's Apple's ball to drop at this point. And the Desktop is not as important for their future dominance in gaming as the hand-held. BUT, they can displace at least Nintendo's PROFITS if they run the iPad games on a Mac.
  • Reply 52 of 52
    The sad reality is, if you want great 3D performance, you go with Windows first, Linux second and OS X last.

Feel my pain.