HBO to bring streaming to subscribers via Apple's iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Premium cable network HBO has announced its intentions to offer a new iPad application that will allow subscribers to stream the network's content on the go.

The HBO Go service will be extended to paying subscribers at no additional cost, co-president of HBO Eric Kellser told Bloomberg on Wednesday. The streaming service will be available on Apple's iPad, as well as other mobile devices and through all major cable systems.

HBO's decision to push its own streaming service comes as the cable network has refused a deal with video rental service Netflix, which has pushed hard to broker a deal. Kessler said he finds "value in exclusivity," and believes consumers "are willing to pay a premium for high quality, exclusive content."

HBO, owned by Time Warner, is home to such popular, original shows as "The Sopranos," "True Blood," and "Sex and the City."

The HBO Go service is currently a Web-based streaming offering. Kessler did not elaborate whether its extension to the iPad would be in the form of an HTML5-based website, or a unique application written specifically for the iPad.

The iPad has become a popular choice for content providers to stream video. At the device's launch in early April, applications from ABC and Netflix were both available for download from the App Store.

Hulu also recently launched its Hulu Plus service for $10 per month. It, along with a free application for the iPhone and iPad, allows users to stream TV content on the go.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Success of the HBO Go app will depend on its subscription cost.

How well is Hulu doing on the iPad?
  • Reply 2 of 20
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    HBO sucks anymore. If it weren't for boxing, I wouldn't even bother.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Yes yes YES!

...but don't forget the video out, like Hulu Plus did!
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Give it three years and cable will be a distant memory! Thanks Apple!
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Dear HBO,

I no longer have cable TV or any TV for that matter - just me FiOS pipe...so where's the online-only subscription option?
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

I would have expected a response like this if Apple had rejected the HBO app. So why are you pissing on HBO? If you don't like it, don't watch it. At least Apple gave you the choice for once.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Say what you willl but the fact remains that HBO is still a huge player in the old guard entertainment industry and the mere thought that the seem to be 'GETTING IT' and trying to embrace this 'brave new world' of ours IS A REALLY GOOD THING.

First off the whole idea that this will be available to me at NO ADDITIONAL COST other than my normal HBO monthly fee is SIMPLY UNHEARD OF and it seems to be out of the greedy hands of my cable provider who wouldn't think twice about charging another 9.99 like they do with HBO On Demand ... Something that (if I'm no mistaken) HBO doesn't charge the cable systems EXTRA for... Yet somehow Cablevision has it's hand out.

Anyway, my hats off to HBO ... I was just about to cancel ALL of the premium stations I'm paying for and move to Netflix .... Now I'll keep HBO just as a way to say THANKS for rolling this out and I'll make sure to email them or maybe snail mail them so they know people are seeing that HBO isn't running from the Internet and suing people they are simply making their product available in a mire convient place.

Finally, this is certainly something HBO COULD justify charging an extra fee for and I for one would have still been VERY impressed but they are doing this at no additional cost just to keep it's subscribers happy WOW most impressive. Lastly it will be a warning shot over the heads of the other movie channels... It'll certainly be interesting to see their response.

Attaboy HBO!
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnycakes23 View Post

Dear HBO,

I no longer have cable TV or any TV for that matter - just me FiOS pipe...so where's the online-only subscription option?

Isn't fios a waste of money when you no longer have a TV?
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:

Dear HBO,

Somehow I think the (current) agreements HBO has made to the cable franchises expressly forbid HBO from marketing directly to the viewers. One hopeful sign is this could very well be HBOs first move toward building a more intamate DIRECT relationships with the cable subcribers and I'm willing to bet that this MIGHT be the first sign of cable tv exclusive channels doing an end run around the cable franchise and sell their channels to any and all customers.

Wouldn't that be amazing?
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

HUH?? FIOS happens to have one of the fastest broadband services in the country...
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

HUH?? FIOS happens to have one of the fastest broadband services in the country...

..... He said in his original post that he no longer has a tv set, though I'm sure that's not what he meant to say. I have Fios myself.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    What's really going to be interesting is when AAPL drops an iOS based AppleTV on us in the next few months (hopefully with an iOS image for existing AppleTV devices). Will iPad-based streaming apps be capable of running on it immediately? (like iPads being able to run iPhone apps in 2X mode) If so, that'll turn iTV from being 'a hobby' to being THE box to have (netflix, abc, hulu, hbo...all 720p...not to mention basic console games and tons of 3rd party iOS widgets/utils). Would be a brilliant end around cable/sat/studios on AAPL's part as well.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElmCityWeb View Post

this is only for those that are subscribing for HBO on their tv

which is what blows. I would love it, and I think many others would as well, if HBO, Showtime and even the 'basic' cable nets would offer up a subscription service just for this type of device/computer. Without having to pay another $60 for full cable. I don't watch anything on cable to make full service worth it. Just Broadcast and the couple of shows I do watch I wait for the DVDs. If I could spend $25 to 30 a month for HBO, Showtime and BBC America, I'd do it. I would still be saving $50 a month over cable
  • Reply 14 of 20
    With video out, it would be nice. I subscribe at home, but not at my vacation spot. I'd rather watch on a TV than the pad, though.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:

He said in his original post that he no longer has a tv set, though I'm sure that's not what he meant to say. I have Fios myself.

And as to the rest of your comment... why on earth would someone need a TV if they were paying for FIOS INTERNET SERVICE?!!!? I'm quite sure there are MANY FIOS subscribers (not FIOS TV) who don't have TV sets your comment simply makes no sense.

Oh and before any CABLEVISION subscribers get too excited... It seems that even tho we are paying FULL FREIGHT for our HBO subscriptions we are not able to gain access to HBO GO at this time... Not that any of this should come as that big a shock to long time CV hostages... Errr subscribers.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:

HBO sucked since The Sopranos left but they're making a comeback. They have True Blood (B+) and are coming out with Scorsese series with Steve Buschemi and just signed Kevin Spacey for a series. Personally I believe that they deserve TV oblivion for not renewing Deadwood and Carnivale which were on the level of The Sopranos.

Showtime was the better channel for the past few years with Dexter, Weeds & Californication but HBO is making a comeback.

I have no respect for this service. Because HBO is owned by Time Warner, they will protect the cable service. The quicker that TV moves to the web, the better.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Yes yes YES!

...but don't forget the video out, like Hulu Plus did!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kyle76 View Post

With video out, it would be nice. I subscribe at home, but not at my vacation spot. I'd rather watch on a TV than the pad, though.

I've tried video out to the TV from the iPad. It requires a connection to the VGA input on the TV and it looks terrible. All of the color adjustments are locked out on this input (on my TV anyway) and screen settings can't be changed so I am forced to view widescreen movies both letter and pillar boxed. So I don't do that. What am I missing here?
  • Reply 18 of 20
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

And as to the rest of your comment... why on earth would someone need a TV if they were paying for FIOS INTERNET SERVICE?!!!? I'm quite sure there are MANY FIOS subscribers (not FIOS TV) who don't have TV sets your comment simply makes no sense.

Oh and before any CABLEVISION subscribers get too excited... It seems that even tho we are paying FULL FREIGHT for our HBO subscriptions we are not able to gain access to HBO GO at this time... Not that any of this should come as that big a shock to long time CV hostages... Errr subscribers.

Households that don't have TVs are relatively rare. Neilsen has 98.9% of US households owning a TV.

http://www.tvb.org/rcentral/mediatre...Households.asp
  • Reply 19 of 20
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElmCityWeb View Post

A free app & service along with HBO that's folded into the cable package I've got. Their subscription cost is about 12.00/mo. I used Comcast OnDemand to watch The Sopranos when it was on. This app would fulfill that function for the shows that I regularly watch.

HBO continues to come up with original series... the latest is "Broadwalk Empire"... That's what keeps me interested and we'll see how well this is written to see if it lasts. Even the series Rome was interesting (but too expensive I understand so it was short lived).

Having said all of this... I am going crazy with how expensive my cable & high speed internet is... so I'll have to threaten to leave again, to get them to reduce the price.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Households that don't have TVs are relatively rare. Neilsen has 98.9% of US households owning a TV.

Certainly and the link was highly unnecessary I'm pretty well aware of the TV saturation in the US...

... but you had to follow the thread, the discussion was prompted by this post...

Quote:

Dear HBO, I no longer have cable TV or any TV for that matter - just me FiOS pipe...so where's the online-only subscription option?

Quote:

And my only comment was why on earth would someone need a TV when all they were using was the FIOS internet service...