Apple's latest iPad ad is heavy on apps, adjectives

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple's new 30-second TV spot for its touchscreen tablet, the iPad, relies on a series of applications and adjectives to pitch the popular product.

Posted this week on the company's official YouTube page, the new advertisement shows off a range of software available on the App Store, including Flipboard, iBooks, Twitter and Pages. "iPad isn't just one thing," the video's description reads. "It's thousands of things." The advertisement is entitled, "iPad is Delicious."

The 30-second advertisement does not have any voiceovers. Instead, it relies on images of hands interacting with software on the iPad. The quick glimpses are accompanied by a series of words that describe what the iPad "is," including "delicious," "current," "playful," "literary" and "artful."

The last displayed adjective is "magical," a word that Apple has consistently used to promote the iPad.

It's a change from the previous iPad ad, which relied on a voiceover that answered the question "What is iPad?" The commercial showed users out and about, interacting with their iPad, and described the hardware as "thin," "beautiful," and "magical."

iPad was introduced with its first ad campaign in March, with a TV spot that demonstrated browsing through photos, watching videos, downloading e-books, and browsing the Web. The first commercial debuted during the Academy Awards, nearly a month before the device launched in the U.S.

Customers ordering from Apple's online store will also have an easier time getting their hands on an iPad, as the company is slowly catching up with strong demand for the product. Apple this week quietly improved the estimated shipping time of all iPad models, both Wi-Fi-only and 3G-capable, to 3-5 days. Previously, users had to wait an estimated 7 to 10 days for their order to ship.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    I like Apple's new advertising approach. They're dismissing specs as insignificant and show off products on a more personal level, like what it can do for you and what you can do with it. Unlike others who are touting specs of their hardware like it matters to the casual consumers. "1ghz this and that, 4.3" this and that, 8MP this and that, Its coming like a f*#king robot alien invation, etc." Only the techies will get a jizz hearing and seeing specs on ads.. I can see why Apple stopped the I'm a Mac campaign..
  • Reply 2 of 48
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Pleasant ad. And yeah, screw the specs. It's magical!

They forgot one word: stallion ...when referring to the battery stamina

That would sound a bit sexual though LOL

Edit: I am hoping though my iPad battery life will continue to be quite good after a year or two. Too early to tell at this stage.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

I like Apple's new advertising approach. They're dismissing specs as insignificant and show off products on a more personal level, like what it can do for you and what you can do with it. Unlike others who are touting specs of their hardware like it matters to the casual consumers. "1ghz this and that, 4.3" this and that, 8MP this and that, Its coming like a f*#king robot alien invation, etc." Only the techies will get a jizz hearing and seeing specs on ads.. I can see why Apple stopped the I'm a Mac campaign..

The Get A Mac campaign served a great purpose, and for the time, was absolutely perfect. It went on a little too long, I agree, but it wasn't uncommon to these ads in the sense that they didn't tout specs, but features, applications, and the ability to enjoy your computer. Thinking about it, though, I haven't seen a single Mac ad in quite a while, so I wonder what they have up their sleeve for those.
  • Reply 4 of 48
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I think they have to use many different words because there is no one word yet for such a new thing, and it's still being defined what it is good at and what it will end up being.
  • Reply 5 of 48
    I got mine last week. I told my girlfriend that I was going to get the wifi 3g 64 gig but she went and got me the 16 gig wifi 3g.

Arrrgh!!!!

I love that freaking machine!!!!!!

And for those of you that are skeptical about the Apple branded case for ipad. Don't be. It is a high quality enclosure. Next up is the berry space suit sleeve from Booq.

Booq is super high quality!
  • Reply 6 of 48
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Excellent ad.
  • Reply 7 of 48
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

I got mine last week. I told my girlfriend that I was going to get the wifi 3g 64 gig but she went and got me the 16 gig wifi 3g.

Arrrgh!!!!

And for those of you that are skeptical about the Apple branded case for ipad. Don't be. It is a high quality enclosure. Next up is the berry space suit sleeve from Booq.

The 3G version is awesome. Even when I don't use the cell data, it worth it because the GPS chip in it is Awesome for hiking. I just turn off wireless, load up a gps app (Like gaia gps) put it in my backpack and record my trails. When I get to the top i can check out other trails to see if I want to take a different way back. The battery life is crazy, way better than the iPhone 4 for this. can get around 10-15 hours with wireless off (I download the topo maps of the area before I go)
  • Reply 8 of 48
    Battery life is nothing short of amazing. You can easily go an entire weekend of moderate use without getting below 50%. The iPhone 4 is a big improvement over 3G in terms of battery life, but the iPad blows it away.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    Excellent ad. Excellent product.
  • Reply 10 of 48
    2 cents2 cents Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Arrrgh!!!!

Another big fan of the iPad and apple case here. And the battery life...it's utterly awesome!
  • Reply 11 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kyle76 View Post

Battery life is nothing short of amazing. You can easily go an entire weekend of moderate use without getting below 50%. The iPhone 4 is a big improvement over 3G in terms of battery life, but the iPad blows it away.

I would hope so considering the size of each device.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I would hope so considering the size of each device.

By that logic, a 17" laptop should blow the iPad's battery life away, but none of them do. It's not just the size of the battery, but how it's used, and there is nothing on the market that beats the iPad in terms of power efficiency. Simply amazing.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

Another big fan of the iPad and apple case here. And the battery life...it's utterly awesome!

Ditto. On all counts.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Ditto. On all counts.

the speakers are an amazing plus- actually good relative to the size. Simply being able to stream Pandora after iOs4 will be a major step up in usability.

also, taking/cutting hd movies with iphone4 thru iMovie then watching on the iPad is great family fun.
  • Reply 15 of 48
    owtowt Posts: 2member
    What is the Scientific category app shown in the ad? The night sky tracker one
  • Reply 16 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by owt View Post

I haven't seen the ad, but usually iTunes has a place to highlight apps shown in advertisements. I can't access either here at the office, so I can't say for sure.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:

I think it is Elements. And I think Star Walk is the constellation one.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    owtowt Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I think it is Elements. And I think Star Walk is the constellation one.

Yes, it's Star Walk. Thank you.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Quote:

The app is StarWalk ($4.99 for iPad). I turn off the constellations so it just shows planets and stars (and galaxies) as you pan around, pointing in different directions. It's fun to point down, so you can see right through the earth.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Pleasant ad. And yeah, screw the specs. It's magical!

They forgot one word: stallion ...when referring to the battery stamina

That would sound a bit sexual though LOL

Edit: I am hoping though my iPad battery life will continue to be quite good after a year or two. Too early to tell at this stage.

I think Apple claims it can be expected to last like 5 years so that ought to be enough time before it is replaced or retired to lesser purposes.