123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 137
    robzrrobzr Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

You are in the 16% bracket i presume.

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/20...aper-than-ipad

A new study from Retrevo (over 1,000 non-Retrevo users) looks at interest in the iPad ahead of Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference next week. The company emailed WebProNews with a round-up of significant findings.

So without beating around the bush, let's just get to them.

Study Highlights:

- 52% of people surveyed say they "don't need" an iPad

- 38% of people say the iPad is "too expensive"

- 10% of people are "waiting for a good excuse" to buy an iPad

Obviously competition for the iPad is on the way, and it has been widely speculated that Google's Android will play a major role in that. Retrevo asked people interested in buying a tablet, "What would make you buy an Android-based tablet over an iPad?"

- 53% say they'd get the Android-based tablet, "If it was less expensive than the iPad."

- 33% say they'd get the Android-based tablet, "If Verizon was the carrier."

- 28% say they'd get the Android-based tablet, "If it was discounted as part of a subscription service (like a cell phone contract)."

- 22% say they'd get the Android-based tablet, "for other reasons."

- 16% say they would still buy an iPad, regardless.

another article:

http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-07-0...e-yahoo-sports

"Apple still has a ways to go in convincing many users of the full utility of the iPad. More than half of owners or would-be owners, 55 percent, said they still see the iPad as an expensive toy while 33 percent see it as a breakthrough product and 28 percent see it benefiting productivity.

For people who intend to buy the iPad, the main reasons are entertainment (58 percent), cool factor (42 percent), convenience (40 percent) and brand (28 percent). For people not interested in the iPad, 54 percent say they don't see a need for it, while 46 percent say it's too expensive."

and another:

http://www.ipadnewstracker.com/2010/...esearch-study/

"55% call the device ?a very expensive toy.? They view it in terms of amusement as opposed to practicality. Because of the strong associations with entertainment and coolness, the top reasons for rejecting the iPad were related to its futility.

#1 (54%) ? Unnecessary

#2 (46%) ? It?s too expensive

#3 (17%) ? Subscription fee required for 3G

#4 (16%) ? Duplicates functions of other owned devices"

This is exactly the kind of bullshit that Jobs and Co. ignore, thank god.

It's the exact kind of bullshit that steers product development by all the companies that make cheap, medicore products that lack a coherent vision.

Rob
  • Reply 122 of 137
    robzrrobzr Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

I am more inclined to believe a 7" iPad is coming to maybe replace the iPod touch. A 7" model makes sense because if you keep the resolution the same and decrease the size to 7", the user interface elements are about the same size as the iPod Touch.

I think it's more likely that the new device will be a 960x640 extra-large iPod Touch, bridging the gap with with the iPad; while the iPad remains the flagship iOS device.

Rob
  • Reply 123 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

This could only lead to fragmentation:

480 by 320 iPhones/iPod touches

960 by 640 iPhone

9.7" iPad

7" iPad

Too many devices with different resolutions is not good! Just look at the android market to see that for yourself.

they might just keep the same resolution... they certainly wouldn't want to reduce it...
  • Reply 124 of 137
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hapalibashi View Post

they might just keep the same resolution... they certainly wouldn't want to reduce it...

If they create a 7" iPad, you would have the following pixel densities for the different possible resolutions:

480x320 82.41 PPI

960x640 164.83 PPI

1024x768 182.86 PPI

1600x1200 285.71 PPI

1920x1440 342.86 PPI

Clearly, to approach or exceed the 300PPI needed to max visual perception at ~1 foot, they would need to jack the resolution quite a bit. The iPad currently has a PPI of 131.96, so anything matching the iPhone4 or higher will produce a sharper picture than the iPad.
  • Reply 125 of 137
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I tried it, and got no links on the first few pages that mention anyone complaining about it being too light (weight-wise). There are plenty of complaints about it being too bright to read e-books.

You are not telling me anything.

As I indicated in the third paragraph, weed out the bits in both searches and you are lucky to get more than a handful of unique entries, particularly if you search for a quoted string of text.

As the guys from Google have said, the problem with searching the web is that the results are based finding ever instance of 'keywords' in the search string. The higher the incidence, the closer to the front of the list. Invariably, most of the results seem to bring the bad things up front because most blogs and comment are negative to start and referenced more often.

Try typing "iPhone too heavy," iPod too heavy," or even "feathers too heavy" into a google search and see what comes up.
  • Reply 126 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

If they create a 7" iPad, you would have the following pixel densities for the different possible resolutions:

480x320 82.41 PPI

960x640 164.83 PPI

1024x768 182.86 PPI

1600x1200 285.71 PPI

1920x1440 342.86 PPI

Clearly, to approach or exceed the 300PPI needed to max visual perception at ~1 foot, they would need to jack the resolution quite a bit. The iPad currently has a PPI of 131.96, so anything matching the iPhone4 or higher will produce a sharper picture than the iPad.

That's the beauty of the Retina display. 960X640 applied to a range of products falling between the iPad and the phone, would still yield a decent image. No need to have a confusing array of resolutions. But I do hope the next iPad will up the ante. 131.96 isn't quite enough. I'm waiting on the second gen iPad because I can see many ways in which Apple can improve on the original, including memory capacity, screen resolution, battery life, weight. And I work for a retailer not currently offering the product so my employee discount would sure come in handy once the device does get offered.
  • Reply 127 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

There needs to be an overall setting to reduce brightness way, way down for Safari use, etc. It's a massive feature request, which I'm sure will come in iOS 4 for iPad. The screen is so great it's too bright in the dark! Yes iBooks and other apps have finer brightness control, but there needs to be a system-wide "night mode" setting.

I'm happy with Setting's "Brightness & Wallpaper" controls. It reduces the brightness enough that I can read comfortably at night. The auto-brightness is still too bright, so I've reduced the brightness to about 60%.

What additional controls are you looking for?
  • Reply 128 of 137
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post

I'm happy with Setting's "Brightness & Wallpaper" controls. It reduces the brightness enough that I can read comfortably at night. The auto-brightness is still too bright, so I've reduced the brightness to about 60%.

What additional controls are you looking for?

For example, reading at night in darkness, the lowest brightness setting is way too bright. Outside of apps like iBooks eg Safari. Night mode would not be an auto control thing, but simply when turned on would give you a slider for the really low range of brightness. Also for those that want to use their iPad while their partner is sleeping.
  • Reply 129 of 137
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

I'm waiting on the second gen iPad because I can see many ways in which Apple can improve on the original, including memory capacity, screen resolution, battery life, weight.

Other possible resolutions and pixel densities for a future 9.7" iPad:

1440*1080 185.57 PPI

1600*1200 206.19 PPI

1920*1440 247.42 PPI

2400*1800 309.28 PPI
  • Reply 130 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

For example, reading at night in darkness, the lowest brightness setting is way too bright. Outside of apps like iBooks eg Safari. Night mode would not be an auto control thing, but simply when turned on would give you a slider for the really low range of brightness. Also for those that want to use their iPad while their partner is sleeping.

Got it.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to have further control.
  • Reply 131 of 137
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DarkKnightNine View Post

This is just too much too soon if it proves to be true, (which I highly doubt).

It is another product nothing more or nothing less. In the end such a device simply addresses another market segment. It is no different than Amazon offering up alternate sized Kindles.

Quote:

Apple devices may be wildly popular, but introducing so many mobile idevices in rapid session can't be good for public perception.

That is simply ignorant. Your public perception goes to hell when you don't cover items in high demand. That would be a smaller iPad or a larger Touch. Using your logic the only iPod in the line up would be the Classic.

The fact is for their to be any progress you have to deliver new products. A year is a very long time for one. Worst those with a sense of technology realize that the current iPad is wanting in many ways. Frankly iPad itself needs a rev along with that 7" device.

Quote:

After buying an iPad, I upgraded my 3GS to an iPhone 4 about a week later. Frankly I'm iOSed out for now and tired of the upgrades and changes.

Learn a little self control and you wouldn't get burned out buying stuff. I hope you realize that you have a bunch people laughing their a$$ off at these statements. You are blaming Apple for your own issues.

Quote:

A person only has but so many needs for these kinds of devices and those needs are already being met with the current line-up. Plus I hear the iPod line will be refreshed in a month or so. Enough already.

You really need to grow up! IPods get refreshed once a year and have been for about ever. It is not a problem at all. Are you one of these retro guys that stopped evolving after the development of magnetic iPods?

Quote:

Frankly i really don't get your logic.

Dave
  • Reply 132 of 137
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    On the other hand, if someone believes that Apple has to constantly live up to their personal hopes, wishes and desires, or be seen to have failed, then perhaps they have issues too. Apple is always going to do what they think is right for the sales of the product, not attempt to deliver to every person's expectations.
  • Reply 133 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

On the other hand, if someone believes that Apple has to constantly live up to their personal hopes, wishes and desires, or be seen to have failed, then perhaps they have issues too. Apple is always going to do what they think is right for the sales of the product, not attempt to deliver to every person's expectations.

+1 This
  • Reply 134 of 137
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

The problem is that there is a lot of competition with respect to sub iPad sized devices. Kindel is one and other devices are hitting the market. Thus a bit of a gulf between the Touch and the iPad.

In the end it is a case of doing what is right for sales. More so it plugs a hole that will allow for others to get a foot hold in the market.

In the end it is like GPS market where different devices serve different needs and at times one of the important needs is the right sized screen. At these sizes the functionality of a device can vary dramatically with screen size. Functionality that can be useless may be very serviceable on a 6 inch screen and perfect on the iPad. Going back to GPS in car navigation would be a good example of a 6 inch device winning over the other two. Physical reality still plays a role in the suitability of any one device for a specific app.

This doesn't even get into the possibility that Apple might want to make the Touch even smaller. A Touch Nano uf you will. I just think it is a mistake to believe Apple has unbreakable rules about physical size.

Dave
  • Reply 135 of 137
    While my life does not hang in the balance on whether Apple makes a 7" iPad, which is why I agree with Dr Millmoss... I also agree with Dave that Apple could make the 7" iPad.

My predicted line up for up to 2012 which I posted in another thread:

iPod touch 4 <--- iPod line (basically iPhone 4 without the phone bits, no Retina Display, 3MP camera only but with front-facing camera)

iPhone 4 <--- Smartphone

iPad <--- Tablet

iPad 7" <--- More portable Tablet

MacBook Air 12" <--- Ultralight laptop

MacBook Pro 13", 15", 17"

iMac 21", 27"

Mac Pro

HDTV (iTV unit hooked up to third party TVs) <--- 36" to 60"

This line up could cover all the form factors and use scenarios and shoot AAPL to $400 by end of 2012.

Only problem is Apple managing company and manufacturing growth to pull this off.
  • Reply 136 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The problem is that there is a lot of competition with respect to sub iPad sized devices. Kindel is one and other devices are hitting the market. Thus a bit of a gulf between the Touch and the iPad.

In the end it is a case of doing what is right for sales. More so it plugs a hole that will allow for others to get a foot hold in the market.

In the end it is like GPS market where different devices serve different needs and at times one of the important needs is the right sized screen. At these sizes the functionality of a device can vary dramatically with screen size. Functionality that can be useless may be very serviceable on a 6 inch screen and perfect on the iPad. Going back to GPS in car navigation would be a good example of a 6 inch device winning over the other two. Physical reality still plays a role in the suitability of any one device for a specific app.

This doesn't even get into the possibility that Apple might want to make the Touch even smaller. A Touch Nano uf you will. I just think it is a mistake to believe Apple has unbreakable rules about physical size.

Dave

Fine, but again, I would not confuse my own ideas about what Apple should do with success or failure. I should not have to remind you of the number of predictions we heard right here in these forums about how the iPad was a failure from word go because it didn't include their pet feature. No doubt Apple will continue to make changes and adjustments to the product, but not because it was deficient from the start, or in an effort to make it all things to all people.
  • Reply 137 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I would sell my ipad and buy a smaller and lighter version.

I have got an Ipad too but I would prefer if it was smaller and lighter. It does not have to that big.