Killing Apps - a UI nightmare

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
If this has been discussed before, my apologies. IMO, killing apps that you want to kill right away is a disaster in OS 4. Example I am using my GPS to navigate. I want to turn it off, because simply minimizing it continues the navigation. I literally have to make SEVEN gestures!!!!! First, close the app. Then double-click to bring up the open apps list. Then select the app (if it's in the first row). Then hold my finger on the app. Then click on the kill X. Then click home again. SEVEN!!!!!! This is absolutely unacceptable from a company that prides itself on intuitive, simple IU. There are other UI "features" of OS4 that were not implemented well. What do others think? How about a simple kill app feature on every app? Or a swipe diagonal or something.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Don't you have a button on the GPS app to stop the current route? Most of them do including the Navigon app I use.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alainny1 View Post

If this has been discussed before, my apologies. IMO, killing apps that you want to kill right away is a disaster in OS 4. Example I am using my GPS to navigate. I want to turn it off, because simply minimizing it continues the navigation. I literally have to make SEVEN gestures!!!!! First, close the app. Then double-click to bring up the open apps list. Then select the app (if it's in the first row). Then hold my finger on the app. Then click on the kill X. Then click home again. SEVEN!!!!!! This is absolutely unacceptable from a company that prides itself on intuitive, simple IU. There are other UI "features" of OS4 that were not implemented well. What do others think? How about a simple kill app feature on every app? Or a swipe diagonal or something.

Let me ask a stupid question, why bother killing it? GPS is always on unless you turn it off in Settings. So unless you're going to do that too, whats the point
  • Reply 3 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    I agree, I don't like the setup and I find that it adds excessive usage to the home button, which being a physical button is more likely to fail.

I love the gestures you get with jailbroken iPhones, you can double-tap the status bar to bring up the switcher - the jailbreak devs can build a quick kill gesture.

I don't like that they don't show the current app in the switcher because it does add those extra steps. I also prefer the Palm Pre method of closing apps by swiping apps upwards - in the switcher, you'd drag the items up and out of the bar to close them.

Basically to do the above task, you could do something like:

double-tap status bar, flick left-most icon upwards, on doing so, you move back to the home screen.

Two steps.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

Let me ask a stupid question, why bother killing it? GPS is always on unless you turn it off in Settings. So unless you're going to do that too, whats the point

No, GPS isn't always on.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    right, GPS is only "on" if an App wants to use it.

Personally, I don't need multitasking, but I use folders... I'd be happy with a "switch" to disable multi-tasking (a la iOS3) and keep the rest of the iOS4 features.